Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

dogstile
May 1, 2012

fucking clocks
how do they work?

Ad by Khad posted:

One positive aspect of goats was that seeing the same 6 heroes all the time allowed the overwhelmingly newbie audience get used to the idea of how the positions on a team worked. When OWL started getting shown at every bar in town I would've had a lot more difficulty explaining the difference between main support and flex support if the hero picks were more varied.

Yeah this was a big thing for me getting my girlfriend, family, etc into watching OWL with me. Was a very good starting point.

Also whenever anyone talks about GOATS being bad they always point at the bottom of the barrel teams playing it (justice lul) and not the hype matches (shock, titans).

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

dogstile
May 1, 2012

fucking clocks
how do they work?

deadwing posted:

GOATS was loving excellent at the top level but watching the bottom half of the roster play it was literally painful

This happens in every sport, does it now? I've watched some loving ABYSMAL hockey

dogstile
May 1, 2012

fucking clocks
how do they work?

Gentle reminder that Monte is a shithead who should gently caress off forever

dogstile
May 1, 2012

fucking clocks
how do they work?

Fauxtool posted:

Yeah thats an appropriate response for someone you probably dont know. Care to elaborate?

He spent two years being a fuckwit, every time he was wrong he weaseled out of accepting that he was and now that he's left OWL he has even less reason to be a part of this thread, as he's irrelevant and trash

dogstile
May 1, 2012

fucking clocks
how do they work?
Mei play is really poor rn, it seems

E: Nevermind they snipin'

dogstile
May 1, 2012

fucking clocks
how do they work?
Casters talking up Hotba when Anamo booped literally everyone out of the pub. Nice

dogstile
May 1, 2012

fucking clocks
how do they work?

an actual frog posted:

For real. The stream ended and YT just started auto-playing random, clickbaity OW vids so I shut it down, thinking the next games were in an hour

Oh wait for real? I just assumed it was over and started doing other things, lmao

dogstile
May 1, 2012

fucking clocks
how do they work?
I can't believe that people are claiming Mei and Reaper take more mechanical skill than the Goats heroes.

Like goddamn maybe mei's right click but jesus i'm already so bored of "wall off tank, kill tank, fight over".

dogstile
May 1, 2012

fucking clocks
how do they work?
I mean wasn't the majority of the fights with reaper mei just doing exactly what you said except this time they have a wall?

dogstile
May 1, 2012

fucking clocks
how do they work?
I played every hero in goats up to 4.3 and scrimmed them all regularly for EU teams, so i'm probably biased as well because gently caress doing that in current meta, but I just cannot stand Mei, where every single fight is absolutely based around her and her abilities. Even Goats didn't focus on a single hero in fights the way the current meta seems to, so its boring as hell to me.

"oh look glisters shot nosmite in the face 15 times again while he's walled off, yay"

dogstile
May 1, 2012

fucking clocks
how do they work?
True, can't argue with that.

dogstile
May 1, 2012

fucking clocks
how do they work?
That's half my problem. Mei herself is basically a tank, so what you're seeing is "psuedo goats". Her being able to make herself invincible is loving stupid, her walls being able to take as much damage as they do is dumb and her being able to combine her freeze effects is also incredibly dumb. Nobody has ever said "oh boy, i can't wait to fight a mei" but i loving loved fighting genji's, cree's, reins, hogs, zarya's, etc because they all are actually fun to engage with.

dogstile
May 1, 2012

fucking clocks
how do they work?

Rand Brittain posted:

Did it just go dark?

Yeah, come hang out in legday's stream instead

dogstile
May 1, 2012

fucking clocks
how do they work?

Ignis posted:

Corey and Blase fighting hard for the dubious title of worst McCree in the league so far

e: case in point https://twitter.com/overwatchleague/status/1229154431679242240

To be fair, the shots he missed he had a hammer taking up 90% of his screen

dogstile
May 1, 2012

fucking clocks
how do they work?

vlad3217 posted:

Yeah I was watching the VODs from yesterday this morning and was amazed at how much I ended up skipping through to get to actual gameplay

Apparently its normal for American sports, which is INSANE to me.

I'm not watching any more this year, I think. It's insanely frustrating to just get bombarded with ads constantly.

dogstile
May 1, 2012

fucking clocks
how do they work?

silvergoose posted:

Yeah uh have you ever watched baseball or gridiron football

I'm gonna repeat the words "Non-American"

dogstile
May 1, 2012

fucking clocks
how do they work?
I've watched some sports but typically I only watch the highlights of American football, or I used to play the Madden games, which you know, vastly less ad's between games.

dogstile
May 1, 2012

fucking clocks
how do they work?

tetsuo posted:

I don’t see these crunch time ads am I just weird what’s going on? Aren’t we all ad blocking?

Absolutely overwhelmed with super lovely mobile mtx whatever the gently caress ads and the Flash Gordon ripoff hearthstone one between maps though.

You can't block adblock an on air broadcast. They seem to have replaced the crunch times with the mtx poo poo though.

dogstile
May 1, 2012

fucking clocks
how do they work?
I feel like stats at this point saying "best x" is kinda moot considering that a bunch of teams haven't played and a ton of teams haven't played good teams yet. I'm half convinced i'd look good against Houston, for example.

dogstile
May 1, 2012

fucking clocks
how do they work?
Muma is only 300 above me so I'll give it a punt :v:

dogstile
May 1, 2012

fucking clocks
how do they work?

Manatee Cannon posted:

idk man, outlaws are pretty good. I mean, have you seen this montage of that time they got thrown in a trash can by the mayhem?

https://twitter.com/Outlaws/status/1229922293419212805

This hurts me and I'm not even an outlaws fan

dogstile
May 1, 2012

fucking clocks
how do they work?

Oasx posted:

It's not a question on whether they can afford to but whether it is worth the money, especially if these companies aren't seeing the returns they were expecting.
Also, I am fairly sure that few professional esports players fly business class.

The ones who were clever enough to get it written into their contract are.

There's at least one team with a single player who gets to fly business class as per their contract and none of their teammates do.

dogstile
May 1, 2012

fucking clocks
how do they work?
Watching Muma play makes me cry

dogstile
May 1, 2012

fucking clocks
how do they work?
MOUFFIN NO

dogstile
May 1, 2012

fucking clocks
how do they work?
Random bans as often as they want to have them are dogshit, i think. I hate the idea.

dogstile
May 1, 2012

fucking clocks
how do they work?

Tommu posted:

I have a contenders match in 2 weeks and i dont know the hero bans.

Shits dumb as gently caress and i have no reasonable way to prepare.

Same with the OD guys who have matches what, this week and they find out the hero bans today?

I don't understand how blizzard continually hears "hey, competitive is a loving joke, sort yourselves out" and then makes it worse, every goddamn time. Game was arguably at its peak when we were doing monthly money tourneys

dogstile
May 1, 2012

fucking clocks
how do they work?

Nothingtoseehere posted:

Is contenders/OD not running off the OWL bans? That seems much more sensible than the ladder bans, which no ones knows the critera for.

I'm not that active competitively anymore (not even ringing, as of this season) and all I heard is that all the EU coaches I know are complaining because they find out what they can play roughly the same week they get banned, so currently I assume they don't.

Which sucks.

Its even worse for OWL teams. Sorry you're flying constantly, guess that thing you practiced last week can't be done anymore and also you don't get to practice anything new because you just spent half your time travelling and getting set up. Oh you're comfy on the new meta WHOA poo poo NOW ITS CHANGED HAHA ISN'T THIS GOOD.

dogstile
May 1, 2012

fucking clocks
how do they work?
Maybe we at least see carpe tracer

OR WE SEE OUR BOI CHIPSA GET OONLOOKI

dogstile
May 1, 2012

fucking clocks
how do they work?
Also people were starting to move over to "anti goats" strats in the days before they straight up went "gently caress it" and chucked in role Q.

dogstile
May 1, 2012

fucking clocks
how do they work?

Katreus posted:

Imo they should have made gm and up hero bans to March with owl.

Mate we can't even play on the same patch as OWL players :v:

dogstile
May 1, 2012

fucking clocks
how do they work?

tetsuo posted:

For who?

If you don't like dive and you don't like goats, your problem isn't that the meta is bad. The problem is that you don't like overwatch and should go watch siege. Literally blizzards solution is to ensure there is no longer metas, as people cannot stop whining.

dogstile
May 1, 2012

fucking clocks
how do they work?
Goats wasn't even played by over 97% of the playerbase, so i get that they wanted to kill it, but hero pools seems like the wrong way to do it.

dogstile fucked around with this message at 00:45 on Mar 6, 2020

dogstile
May 1, 2012

fucking clocks
how do they work?
Hahaha

So not only are hero bans different from OWL to OD, but OD only finds out each thursday in the middle of normal scrim times when their matches are Saturdays and Sundays. Then you have the Tier 3 teams who aren't quite contenders but scrim with contenders teams, who can't really do that anymore because contenders teams are on different bans from the OD bans.

What a clusterfuck

dogstile
May 1, 2012

fucking clocks
how do they work?
I dunno how watching Mei press Q or wall off the tank line over and over again is fun. I'm really hype to see if maybe Rein not existing means Mei won't.

Failing that i'll just play ranked because holy poo poo the ice devil is loving gone. Thank gently caress.

dogstile
May 1, 2012

fucking clocks
how do they work?
Good to know we're gonna be swapping between mei walling people off and mei being undivable because they're refusing to let the players do the picking like every other esport with bans.

dogstile
May 1, 2012

fucking clocks
how do they work?
As opposed to the current, solution, which is to have a solved meta where there is an obvious correct answer.

dogstile
May 1, 2012

fucking clocks
how do they work?
Because Winston is trash

dogstile
May 1, 2012

fucking clocks
how do they work?
Raw aim, only the OW dps players i think will switch over well enough. Even then we're talking more the cree/widow players.

But if you're dedicated enough to try and go pro in a game and good enough to consistently stay in t500, you'll see a ton of former OW players at very high ranks of whatever ranking system Valorant would have. It wasn't uncommon for support players to have a fairly nasty dps. Anyone remember Kariv going apeshit on widow? Or Neptuno solowiping a team as widow and then typing "next push please"?

But yeah, OW and Valorant aren't comparable, so i guess we'll see. I think it'll be dominated by CSGO players who haven't quite made it pro in the first year, then we'll see who continues. Players who play in beta very much don't usually keep playing professionally a couple of years after as people surpass them.

E: Also, in my personal experience, I hit t500 on all three overwatch roles (lol cree flashbangs, i owe you a lot) and against consistent t500 dps players, i'd get absolutely poo poo on, but i'd hold my own well enough that if I started calling, i'd be able to maintain mid gm-low t500 on that account. Even just through keeping them busy and just not feeding. That will also have value. Who knows, i'll install CS and immediately get placed in silver, lets go.

dogstile fucked around with this message at 09:36 on Apr 7, 2020

dogstile
May 1, 2012

fucking clocks
how do they work?
Yeah Tommu isn't having a good month

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

dogstile
May 1, 2012

fucking clocks
how do they work?
Tommu, dude, let me send you over £5 and buy you a couple drinks or something, you need it