Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Bottom Liner
Feb 15, 2006

a specific vein of lasagna
What are the week 1 bans (if any)?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Bottom Liner
Feb 15, 2006

monte's best friend is thorin and if that doesnt tell you enough you havent been paying attention. he's a loving massive chud and they should both gently caress off. j

Bottom Liner
Feb 15, 2006

That Overwatch kit commercial was just embarrassing. The new kits look like poo poo.

Game talk Mei is dominate as expected. Curious to see what teams would run if she were in a ban pool.

Bottom Liner
Feb 15, 2006

Viewership numbers are grim

Bottom Liner
Feb 15, 2006

I love hearing the crowd go nuts and seeing CRUNCH TIME and having no idea what I’m missing. loving amateur hour over here.

Bottom Liner
Feb 15, 2006

hobbesmaster posted:

if it’s anything like the talent 2/3 of them were fired

And scattering the remaining all over the world lol

Bottom Liner
Feb 15, 2006

not having one single continuously running stream is really stupid.

Bottom Liner
Feb 15, 2006

Torb is pretty strong right now.

Bottom Liner
Feb 15, 2006

why not both

Bottom Liner
Feb 15, 2006

Bottom Liner
Feb 15, 2006

Just realized they're going to lose so much money on bits too. Hope google paid them $$$

Bottom Liner
Feb 15, 2006

Codependent Poster posted:

No bits, no all access, no idle streamers watching because no drops... Yeah they need to have been paid a lot.

I think blizzard really cracked the code on esports monetization: rich assholes and mega corps that will invest tens of millions each into your league. The viewers were always secondary to that insane influx of cash they got for franchising, broadcast rights, etc.

Bottom Liner
Feb 15, 2006

Herstory Begins Now posted:

Viewer #s are 100% the thing that drives every other aspect of esports being profitable and blizzard being able to demand x for franchises and y for broadcast rights. If OWL pans out than yeah they cracked it, but that still very much remains to be seen and twitch deciding not to renew the deal was a big blow

My point is that they made the bulk of their money up front without proving any viewership or profitability. All those investors bought in hard and by all accounts are not making anywhere near their money back.

Bottom Liner
Feb 15, 2006

surf rock posted:

Here at the end of the first weekend, I think these were the heroes not played:

Soldier 76
Ashe
Torbjorn
Bastion
Roadhog

Nice!

Pretty surprised to see no Ashe play. Guess Widow is still the pick for that role.

Bottom Liner
Feb 15, 2006

How much can the league fine them for that abomination

Bottom Liner
Feb 15, 2006

Chazani posted:

I'm hopeful and I want to believe esports can actually succeed

Esports are already massive and aren't going anywhere.

OWL on the other hand has a lot to prove.

Bottom Liner
Feb 15, 2006

Mei owns

Bottom Liner
Feb 15, 2006

hobbesmaster posted:

Mei main spotted

Just started playing her a lot this week after watching last weeks games ;)

She feels as impactful as old D.Va and Roadhog. Love it.

Bottom Liner
Feb 15, 2006

tetsuo posted:

this is garbage

Amateur hour went an extra week it seems

Bottom Liner
Feb 15, 2006

Watching vods really confirms how much dead air and lovely commercials any OWL stream has. Jesus less than half of the live stream is actual matches or even commentary.

Bottom Liner
Feb 15, 2006

Oasx posted:

None of the other eSports I watch have as many delays as OWL.

LoL has a lot of pauses but nowhere near the dead air and ads in broadcasts.

Bottom Liner
Feb 15, 2006

my favorite is that god awful mobile game they're shilling now NOT IN GAME GRAPHICS

Bottom Liner
Feb 15, 2006

Players are going to drop like flies with this travel bullshit.

Bottom Liner
Feb 15, 2006

Which is why they desperately need a players union as does every esports league

Bottom Liner
Feb 15, 2006

Mr X is the worst and his eyes creep me the gently caress out

Bottom Liner
Feb 15, 2006

cowards

Bottom Liner
Feb 15, 2006

Pools are an extremely Blizzard way of handling a problem other games figured out over a decade ago. It isn't better or more interesting, it's just stupid RNG nonsense. Teams have to practice for this weeks matches and at the same time try and prepare for the next set of pools or worse just go in blind because they don't know what to practice yet. It's just garbage.

Game designer enforced metas are always worse than player created metas.

Bottom Liner
Feb 15, 2006

Oasx posted:

How do you get players to shake up the meta then?

Player selected bans every map, like every other character based game does? Dive and GOATS were a balance team problem, not a player problem. And both scenarios would have been stopped with normal bans. Balance changes should happen much more frequently based on ban rates, etc.

Bottom Liner
Feb 15, 2006

Tommu posted:

The absolute joke is that teams cant even grind the competitive hero pool in ranked because ranked bans are different from OWL/contenders/organised play since they all follow OWL pool.

Wait what!? I somehow missed that part but goddamn that is stupid.

Bottom Liner
Feb 15, 2006

dogstile posted:

If you don't like dive and you don't like goats, your problem isn't that the meta is bad. The problem is that you don't like overwatch and should go watch siege. Literally blizzards solution is to ensure there is no longer metas teams can't possibly prepare for the metas, as people cannot stop whining.

Bottom Liner
Feb 15, 2006

One weird trick to kill your talent pool!

Edit: lol I’m getting ads for OWL Miami and the tickets are half off. Ouch.

Bottom Liner fucked around with this message at 15:58 on Mar 6, 2020

Bottom Liner
Feb 15, 2006

how did/do people not realize mei is still critical and her wall practically replaces rein shield when he's out?

Bottom Liner
Feb 15, 2006

Oof, just awful timing and luck for the league. Good they're taking the safe choice but that is definitely gonna kill enthusiasm. Maybe they can listen to their players and work on hero pools more (at least make it 2 week pools) in the mean time.

Bottom Liner
Feb 15, 2006

you mean haku "women should not be in my ranked games" is a lovely womanizer? I'm SHOCKED

Bottom Liner
Feb 15, 2006

The LCS (NA League of Legends) crew planned for this last week and are all going to be running their broadcast from home, not sure if teams will be able to play with the new safety measures though. Pretty sure this is the nail in the coffin for OWL for a while.

Bottom Liner
Feb 15, 2006

Latency issues with players not together at least on a team basis. Also the issues of enforcing league rules without extra cams and stuff to replace refs (minor, but they still have to uphold competitive integrity and enforce any rules).

Bottom Liner
Feb 15, 2006

Valorant preview stuff pulling a million viewers and a lot of former OW folks throwing shade to outright shittalking OWL and OW has got to hurt.

Bottom Liner
Feb 15, 2006

Overwatch isn't about individual skill expression, it's about managing cooldowns and keeping track of enemy team cooldowns. Games like Valorant and CSGO have deep strategy and tactical play, but the ability for a single person to carry through pure FPS mechanics is much much higher. Both are cool and good, but it's just a different kind of shooter much closer to CSGO than OW. The character powers are bought like utility items in CS, they generally do much less powerful things than skills in OW. Every character has the same hitbox and health, can use any gun, etc.

Bottom Liner
Feb 15, 2006

OW2 pivoting to PVE makes a lot of sense given how everything has gone.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Bottom Liner
Feb 15, 2006

Yeah, SC is the original and still one of the best esports for both players (money aside) and viewers and Blizzard deservers almost zero credit for any of it.

OW is still the game I play the most, but as much as I loved season 1 and still like the game, OWL is just an utter shitshow on almost every level and I barely skim through a game or two per week now.