Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

deported to Canada
Jun 1, 2006

Zazi posted:

Anyway the answer is find yourself a job where no one knows specifically what you should be doing at any given time, and then always make out like you're super busy. They'll be too busy with their own poo poo to hassle you and you can do the menial makework that the job entails until the day someone realises a computer can do it instead

True wisdom here. I'd only add 'make sure you have something in your hand'. Walking around with a clipboard or with something you have printed off makes you invisible imo.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Play
Apr 25, 2006

Strong stroll for a mangy stray

Mooey Cow posted:

Cut off their butts :hmmyes:

deny them their butts, deny them their power!!

precision
May 7, 2006

by VideoGames

Glenn Quebec posted:

I'm glad that the tradition of restaurant owners lying to their idiot, gullible employees about their, invariably, super interesting background before they got into being a restauranteur is universal.

No, seriously. They were ex-Yakuza.

Play
Apr 25, 2006

Strong stroll for a mangy stray

precision posted:

No, seriously. They were ex-Yakuza.

I think OP is thinking like movie Yakuza, whereas actual Yakuza run like petty insurance scams, illegal gambling and multi level marketing type stuff, just being Yakuza doesn't mean they were contract killers or something

christmas boots
Oct 15, 2012

To these sing-alongs 🎤of siren 🧜🏻‍♀️songs
To oohs😮 to ahhs😱 to 👏big👏applause👏
With all of my 😡anger I scream🤬 and shout📢
🇺🇸America🦅, I love you 🥰but you're freaking 💦me 😳out
Biscuit Hider
If he didnt hire a chicken as a property manager I dont want to hear about it

precision
May 7, 2006

by VideoGames

christmas boots posted:

If he didn’t hire a chicken as a property manager I don’t want to hear about it

lol

I had always suspected something was up, the owner lived in a million dollar mansion even before opening the place, and didn't speak any English. They kept bringing undocumented cooks over from Micronesia. The host guy was this massive muscle dude who looked exactly like Saejima and would routinely fly into roid rage and beat the poo poo out of the cooks. Everyone had tattoos.

But I didn't know for sure until one day we got a new waiter, a 22 year old Japanese guy. He was really cool and I talked to him a lot, and he said he used to be a DJ and that his wife still lived in Japan. I was like "uh so why did you decide to come work in Tennessee of all places" and he told me he had made a "mistake" and was working off his punishment. They didn't even let him keep his tips, every night I saw him handing his tips to the owner's wife.

do u believe in marigolds
Sep 13, 2007

A Fancy Hat posted:

At a previous job we didn't have hard and fast lunch breaks, the basic idea was just "don't go crazy with it" and don't disappear if you have a meeting or you're working on some major time-sensitive issue. Unless of course you were a manager or salesperson, then you were allowed to just disappear for half the day on a "lunch break".

Anyone, one day myself and 2 coworkers decide to go for a little walk to grab lunch about a mile away. We leave the office at 11 am, we're back at like 12:15. Keep in mind that 99% of the time we're just eating lunch at our desk. We get back and our boss flips out, says that with 3 of us gone the office was "in chaos" and that we need to inform him anytime we leave the office for "an extended period of time". Then we got a formal warning letter.

I'm curious, how many people are in your office? I can't wrap my head around 3 people leaving together at the same time for over an hour ever going well unless your office has a lot of employees.

Colonel Cancer
Sep 26, 2015

Tune into the fireplace channel, you absolute buffoon

precision posted:

lol

I had always suspected something was up, the owner lived in a million dollar mansion even before opening the place, and didn't speak any English. They kept bringing undocumented cooks over from Micronesia. The host guy was this massive muscle dude who looked exactly like Saejima and would routinely fly into roid rage and beat the poo poo out of the cooks. Everyone had tattoos.

But I didn't know for sure until one day we got a new waiter, a 22 year old Japanese guy. He was really cool and I talked to him a lot, and he said he used to be a DJ and that his wife still lived in Japan. I was like "uh so why did you decide to come work in Tennessee of all places" and he told me he had made a "mistake" and was working off his punishment. They didn't even let him keep his tips, every night I saw him handing his tips to the owner's wife.

How many fingats did he have?

Tetramin
Apr 1, 2006

I'ma buck you up.

do u believe in marigolds posted:

I'm curious, how many people are in your office? I can't wrap my head around 3 people leaving together at the same time for over an hour ever going well unless your office has a lot of employees.

Eh, the IT Dept at my job is 8 people split between systems/network/service desk and we routinely have like 4-6 people go out for lunch. Normally we just eat at our desks do taking an hour lunch on the occasional Friday aint a big deal. Never had anything bad happen because of it

Andrast
Apr 21, 2010

I'm not american but my current boss really doesn't give a poo poo what we do, when we do it or how we do it as long as everything necessary gets done. Like, I can just work from home unannounced or leave early and nobody gives a poo poo. Sometimes people take long lunches and sometimes they don't.

Turns out that when you give your workers some leeway and don't treat them like poo poo, they will actually care about doing a good job and morale is really high.

UnfortunateSexFart
May 18, 2008

𒃻 𒌓𒁉𒋫 𒆷𒁀𒅅𒆷
𒆠𒂖 𒌉 𒌫 𒁮𒈠𒈾𒅗 𒂉 𒉡𒌒𒂉𒊑

Yeah I told my manager today that I'm gonna be on my phone a lot cuz I'm finalising a house contract and he's like "cool thanks for letting me know." I don't have to hide in a bathroom stall getting no work done because I know he's reasonable.

Fried Watermelon
Dec 29, 2008

Lol at getting into work 15 minutes early because you don't "work" until your computer is on

Buddy you contract me from 9-5 no minute more no minute less, and that starts as soon as I walk through the door.

We should be charging you for commute time, not like we can do anything productive for ourselves during that time.

Solice Kirsk
Jun 1, 2004

Fried Watermelon posted:

Lol at getting into work 15 minutes early because you don't "work" until your computer is on

Buddy you contract me from 9-5 no minute more no minute less, and that starts as soon as I walk through the door.

We should be charging you for commute time, not like we can do anything productive for ourselves during that time.

My favorite was not paying hourly employees for their lunch time and then having them stay another hour/45/30 minutes to make up for being hungry at work. Also pulling them off of lunch because "we need you on the floor."

I don't think I'm at a stage in my life where retail is going to ever come into play again, but I'd honestly choose a life of crime over going back to that living hell.

Extra Large Marge
Jan 21, 2004

Fun Shoe

Fried Watermelon posted:

Read one of those articles that come out every once in a while about how long CEOs work (60 hour work weeks, wow!). Turns out they're counting commute time, "business" dinners, and pretty much any time spent outside the office thinking about work.

Solice Kirsk
Jun 1, 2004

Eh, I know plenty of CEOs and they all put in ungodly amounts of actual work hours. 60 hours a week (like for real, not that stupid chart that shows working out as work time) isn't that far off. It's basically expected of them. Most of them don't even take days off. I get emails all the time at like midnight on Sunday asking me for things.

If you want the truly lazy and complacent look at middle management. They're the ones that will put in 30 hour work weeks and put all their family dinners on the corporate card and whatnot.

el dingo
Mar 19, 2009

Ogres are like onions

Solice Kirsk posted:

I get emails all the time at like midnight on Sunday asking me for things.

You can get outlook to send an email at a specified later time. Met quite a few people who do this to give the impression they're at it even in the small hours

Sherry Bahm
Jul 30, 2003

filled with dolphins
Yeah no, there's no amount of work that a CEO could do to justify the cosmic wage gap between them and their employees.

Even 80 hours a week at a CEO pay grade is still cushy compared to grueling 40 hours for barely livable wages.

Dr. Gojo Shioji
Apr 22, 2004

do u believe in marigolds posted:

How small have the offices you've worked in been? And what were you doing that the place would collapse if multiple people left at the same time? My office is about 50 people on a campus of about 2000 and most people leave for lunch at the same time. I can understand your concern if you're talking about a smaller call center or maybe a NOC team (which is usually a lot smaller and requires someone physically be there at all times), but standard office drones don't typically redundantly handle a lot of immediate-response stuff.

bobjr
Oct 16, 2012

Roose is loose.
🐓🐓🐓✊🪧

Fried Watermelon posted:

My work stresses the really you should always be in early line with well we dont want to have the first few hours just be you waking up and getting ready. If someone legit has an individual problem then deal with them, dont make it a company wide thing.

Robo Reagan
Feb 12, 2012

by Fluffdaddy

precision posted:

lol

sounds like he was current yakuza. opening a restaurant is money laundering/people smuggling 101, especially if its a buffet

Robo Reagan fucked around with this message at 18:16 on Feb 14, 2020

do u believe in marigolds
Sep 13, 2007

Dr. Gojo Shioji posted:

How small have the offices you've worked in been? And what were you doing that the place would collapse if multiple people left at the same time? My office is about 50 people on a campus of about 2000 and most people leave for lunch at the same time. I can understand your concern if you're talking about a smaller call center or maybe a NOC team (which is usually a lot smaller and requires someone physically be there at all times), but standard office drones don't typically redundantly handle a lot of immediate-response stuff.

I work in retail, a grocery store. 3 people taking that lunch would shut down around two departments in my store.

Wicker Man
Sep 5, 2007

Just like Columbus...

Clapping Larry
In my experience it seems like the cool managers never stick around. They always move on to a better job and get replaced with someone far worse. My first retail job our manager was a funny, down to earth lady who didn't sweat you with any of that "time to lean, time to clean" crap and she was super fast to get all of the days receipts and tills counted. It's because of how fast she was that we could actually leave after closing within like less than 10 minutes instead of the usual experience where you have to keep pacing around the store and straightening everything that's already been straightened for almost half an hour after your shift has ended. Nope, can't leave till the manager is done and says you can!

One time the supervisor under her was another early 20's kid like me who was definitely the sort of person that would lick corporate boot and ask for more reported me for just patrolling the floor after closing but not straightening up (it's already been straightened up during the course of the day). Her way of 'punishing' me for this offense was to make a silly exaggerated stare for 2 seconds at me then walked off. I miss her.

Of course, she left after me being there for only a few weeks to a better job and she was replaced with an emotionally cold manager that saw us all as nothing more but worker drones and cared as much. I later heard that same manager went on to join HR in the company which I always found amusing.

Ansar Santa
Jul 12, 2012

Have you considered forming a union, op? Or better yet, a revolutionary cadre?

kazr
Jan 28, 2005

Wicker Man posted:

In my experience it seems like the cool managers never stick around. They always move on to a better job and get replaced with someone far worse.

People rise to their incompetence and usually can't go any further

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

CarpenterWalrus
Mar 30, 2010

The Lazy Satanist

Drimble Wedge posted:

The micromanaging at call centres seems designed to drive everyone batshit, like breaks timed to the second. I remember days when we'd have blizzards and police telling everyone to stay home, and managers would still be saying "I came in; YOU should be here too." Yeah, no; if police and fire people are telling everyone to stay home, I am not going anywhere. At home I would always sit in a chair with one leg slightly tucked under me, or else stretched out forward. I would have managers coming around prodding me to sit with my feet on the floor at a 90-degree angle. The tucked foot might have been a bit cheeky but why would they care if my feet were straight out under my own desk? If you nipped over to the bathroom for a break when you weren't scheduled, they'd follow you in there and tell you to go back to work (literally as the waste was leaving your body; I guess people were supposed to stop mid-piss or mid-poo poo and waddle back to their desks in shame)

Call centre managers are a whole level of self-serving hell. They'd organize Iron Chef tournaments, in which people would compete to make dishes for...managers. I have no idea why we were all supposed to stand around watching them rapturously eat food the employees made, but it was a thing. They'd run 50/50 draws periodically which after a while were not drawn publicly but in someone's office; management won a statistically improbable number of times. After I quit, I found out that the former receptionist was forever being sent out to buy gift cards as incentives; these wound up being quietly split among the leads.

haha, holy poo poo, was this call center in Chicago, because i think i worked there for some years.