Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Captain Hygiene
Sep 17, 2007

You mess with the crabbo...

Nemesis is way worse for me. At least Insurrection was bad in the dumb/goofy way that bad Star Trek films are usually bad, Nemesis was just a grim slog.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Endless Trash
Aug 12, 2007

Applewhite posted:

Yes I know it featured in Insurrection.

It featured in Insurrection

Drink-Mix Man
Mar 4, 2003

You are an odd fellow, but I must say... you throw a swell shindig.

Prism Mirror Lens posted:

Can someone point to specific,examples of TNG Picard not being able to relate to people or being uncomfortable outside of command? Like I said before, he seems like a normal guy at work to me. If anything the DS9 situation where they’re all best friends who go to the holodeck together is more weird

Picard being super embarrassed to let the crew know he has a thing with Vash; not wanting to tell the love of his life Dr. Crusher how he felt because of chain of command stuff; that whole episode about dating his subordinate; his whole relationship with Wesley; that episode where an alien took him over and everyone's jaw dropped at the sight of him having fun; that episode where he's trapped in the elevator with the kids and the only way he can figure out to relate to them is by giving them ranks and talking to them like they're his crew; him refusing to take a vacation and begrudgingly going to a sex planet to be alone and read a book...

I mean all that plus the fact you just basically never saw him, like, do any of the social activities like play poker or eat Riker's eggs.

Worf
Sep 12, 2017

If only Seth would love me like I love him!

i mean the fact that riker told picard to go get the sex statue is a hilarious prank is p telling

FeculentWizardTits
Aug 31, 2001

Animal-Mother posted:

I wish we'd seen Cardassians in the movies. Their scaly lizard-ness could look really ghoulish on the big screen.

Truly a missed opportunity for a Dukat-Garak road trip boner comedy

Blistex
Oct 30, 2003

Macho Business
Donkey Wrestler

Communist Walrus posted:

Truly a missed opportunity for a Dukat-Garak road trip boner comedy

Garak: "Listen! You don't like me, and I don't like you, but. . . "
Dukat: "I totally nailed Kira's m. . .
Garak: "BUT!!! If we don't get to Risa and win the Dom-jot tournament by 50814.2 the Orion Syndicate is going to demolish the Rec Center."

At the end of the movie two Cardassians stand in front of a monitor and slow clap.

Blistex fucked around with this message at 01:32 on May 24, 2020

Applewhite
Aug 16, 2014

by vyelkin
Nap Ghost

Bodyholes posted:

I think it was the worst next gen movie but people hate Nemesis more for killing Star Trek, which is understandable.

I'm pretty sure Star Trek: Nemesis is the physical manifestation of a malevolent energy being that continues to work its evil on the world to this day. ST: Discovery and ST: Picard are the being growing larger.

We can only hope that Earth's impending magnetic polarity reversal will banish the entity back to its own evil dimension.

Worf
Sep 12, 2017

Blistex posted:

Garak: "Listen! You don't like me, and I don't like you, but. . . "
Dukat: "I totally nailed Kira's m. . .
Garak: "BUT!!! If we don't get to Risa and win the Dom-jot tournament by 50814.2 the Orion Syndicate is going to demolish the Rec Center."

At the end of the movie two Cardassians stand in front of a monitor and slow clap.

lmao

Detective No. 27
Jun 7, 2006

On the topic of Picard being Data's friend, I would think that having to argue to legally establish his sentience in order to prevent his dissection would make Picard somewhat fond of him.

shadow puppet of a
Jan 10, 2007

NO TENGO SCORPIO

You'd think that directly caring for the safety, security and having ultimate responsibility for the day to day wellness of a ship full of children would do the same. But no. Picard never cared a whit for children and TNG Television Data was regarded no better by him after 7 seasons than as a particularly efficient McDonalds Cashier with a particularly lovely half brother who would show and wreck the place once every few years.

Prism Mirror Lens
Oct 9, 2012

~*"The most intelligent and meaning-rich film he could think of was Shaun of the Dead, I don't think either brain is going to absorb anything you post."*~

:chord:

Drink-Mix Man posted:

Picard being super embarrassed to let the crew know he has a thing with Vash; not wanting to tell the love of his life Dr. Crusher how he felt because of chain of command stuff; that whole episode about dating his subordinate; his whole relationship with Wesley; that episode where an alien took him over and everyone's jaw dropped at the sight of him having fun; that episode where he's trapped in the elevator with the kids and the only way he can figure out to relate to them is by giving them ranks and talking to them like they're his crew; him refusing to take a vacation and begrudgingly going to a sex planet to be alone and read a book...

I mean all that plus the fact you just basically never saw him, like, do any of the social activities like play poker or eat Riker's eggs.

Sounds more like he hates kids (which even PIC acknowledges as a character trait before chucking it out the window) and is a private, serious person. I argue Picard IS good with people - at least, adults. He’s diplomatic, commanding, charismatic, and understanding (e.g. the Barclay episode). He just isn’t comfortable airing his private life and compromising his command position. Which is imo correct even though Starfleet seems happy with everyone dating each other all through the ranks.

God I would hate working under a ‘fun’ captain who wanted to join all my social events. They should make Star Trek: The Office about that.

The Protagonist
Jun 29, 2009

The average is 5.5? I thought it was 4. This is very unsettling.

Detective No. 27 posted:

On the topic of Picard being Data's friend, I would think that having to argue to legally establish his sentience in order to prevent his dissection would make Picard somewhat fond of him.

Nah just principled

counterfeitsaint
Feb 26, 2010

I'm a girl, and you're
gnomes, and it's like
what? Yikes.
I don't have a list of examples but I've always felt like Picard was Data's mentor and gave him the most guidance on his whole quest to become human thing all throughout the show. I feel like they had more scenes together than Data had with Geordi, even though the characters went out of their way to tell us they were best friends on multiple occasions. The bond grew over the years during the movies. There's so much stuff to criticize about STP it's so weird everyone has to focus on this one point. Also if you know someone you consider only a moderately good work friend, but then their last act in life is to remove you from danger before saving an entire ship, chances are your opinion of them will only increase in the 20 some odd years after their death.

As bad as STP was, at least the cinematographer wasn't on loving acid. I can't think of a single scene in STP where the camera was spinning around two people having a mundane conversation so fast it gave me vertigo, and not once did a scene begin with the camera upside loving down. Can't say the same about STD. The poo poo still makes me irrationally angry.

pop fly to McGillicutty
Feb 2, 2004

A peckish little mouse!

counterfeitsaint posted:

I don't have a list of examples but I've always felt like Picard was Data's mentor and gave him the most guidance on his whole quest to become human thing all throughout the show. I feel like they had more scenes together than Data had with Geordi, even though the characters went out of their way to tell us they were best friends on multiple occasions. The bond grew over the years during the movies. There's so much stuff to criticize about STP it's so weird everyone has to focus on this one point. Also if you know someone you consider only a moderately good work friend, but then their last act in life is to remove you from danger before saving an entire ship, chances are your opinion of them will only increase in the 20 some odd years after their death.

As bad as STP was, at least the cinematographer wasn't on loving acid. I can't think of a single scene in STP where the camera was spinning around two people having a mundane conversation so fast it gave me vertigo, and not once did a scene begin with the camera upside loving down. Can't say the same about STD. The poo poo still makes me irrationally angry.

That's because it lacked any creativity at all, see the "madness vision" stock footage for reference.

Worf
Sep 12, 2017

geordi and data have a different relationship than picard and data imo. geordi really is his best friend but the world isnt beautiful enough to give us a show that has a lot of levar burton in 2020.

geordi would definitely drop whatever he was doing at the sniff of being able to reassemble his friend Data. their friendship is one of the best part of TNG

picard would do almost anything for Data too imo, but picard would just do it because hes a pretty loyal MF to his squad and to his moral compass.

basically theres a billion ways the show could have made more sense and most of the ppl itt probably would have jumped through hoops to like it if theyd done any of them

Worf fucked around with this message at 12:56 on May 24, 2020

Erulisse
Feb 12, 2019

A bad poster trying to get better.

Breakfast All Day posted:

Yeah, RLM seizing on Picard's S1 treatment of Data as being proof "Picard hates Data" is strange, I don't know why they kept hammering that point in multiple vids. But what do you expect from someone whose favorite Trek show is Voyager. There's some subtext throughout the series of Picard being uncomfortable with Data because Data is eager to embrace things in search of refining his humanity (humor, willingness to embarrass himself, etc.) that Picard has sought to discard to refine his own -- at the same time Data excels at cognitive clarity and a form of stoicism that Picard envies. This is amplified by Data seeing Picard as a role model, which intersects with the Picard/children discomfort. This is maybe the one thing STP almost got right, in Data coming to terms with his mortality and death before Picard (who is clearly disturbed by his condition and struggles to communicate it to those around him, while Data can show both vulnerability and resoluteness to Picard in asking to end his life). But TNG is clear that by the late seasons Picard considers Data a friend of a similar tier to Riker, and perhaps is only closer to Crusher.

What people fail to see besides movie picard is picard's relationship with other people on board. He is all go no show captain. This has been discussed to death and back when first RLM review aired (thats how I learned about them) in this thread tviv modern trek thread. I love VOY but man, how insensitive one should be to not see who JLP truly cares about and what a person he is throughout TNG, his progression and development. That's like (character development), the strongest part of all Treks.

Besides Riker maneuver ofc

Applewhite
Aug 16, 2014

by vyelkin
Nap Ghost
All this talk about movie canon suddenly brought to mind yet another missed opportunity by ST:P.

While I generally completely ignore Star Trek: the Motion Picture in every way, ST:P's whole "omnicient artificial intelligence" plotline could have actually tied somewhat elegantly in with the race of "living machines" that built V'Ger with only the smallest amount of tweaking.

I don't understand how a show manages to fumble what should be easy and interesting concepts so utterly and completely.

Biohazard
Apr 17, 2002

I think what’s more obvious in retrospect was how supremely low budget of a production this was, and how much they tried to cover that up instead of embracing it. Like they kept re-using the chateau set because they couldn’t afford a better set, despite the plot being about how happy Picard seemingly was to be back out in space. Asl RLM pointed out, they rendered 1 lovely starship model and couldn’t afford to model other ones. I’m sure they spent all their budget on Patrick Stewart. It lends to the theory that these shows are getting very low viewership, but CBS has too much invested in their lovely service to admit it.

Edit: Also, was it implied in any other show that Dr Soong had a real son? I found that infuriating, as it essentially rewrote a lot of the soong/data/lore relationship just so they could lazily get Brent spiner in there, and the show even acknowledges how lovely of a character it is.

Biohazard fucked around with this message at 15:41 on May 24, 2020

Worf
Sep 12, 2017

hmm its almost like they tried this same thing before

Biohazard
Apr 17, 2002

Applewhite posted:

All this talk about movie canon suddenly brought to mind yet another missed opportunity by ST:P.

While I generally completely ignore Star Trek: the Motion Picture in every way, ST:P's whole "omnicient artificial intelligence" plotline could have actually tied somewhat elegantly in with the race of "living machines" that built V'Ger with only the smallest amount of tweaking.

I don't understand how a show manages to fumble what should be easy and interesting concepts so utterly and completely.

I actually love Star Trek the motion picture. It’s not a good movie per se, but it is super weird, atmospheric, and had some great ideas like vger. It also did a better job than most of Star Trek at demonstrating that space is a dark, massive, horrific place that is just waiting to kill you in some awful way.

Erulisse
Feb 12, 2019

Biohazard posted:

Edit: Also, was it implied in any other show that Dr Soong had a real son? I found that infuriating, as it essentially rewrote a lot of the soong/data/lore relationship just so they could lazily get Brent spiner in there, and the show even acknowledges how lovely of a character it is.

Which of the Soongs? Their whole family is an utter mess

Applewhite posted:

V'Ger seemed more borg in nature; also writers suck so much they missed way too many opportunities that were planted before.
Dang it, bringing DeLancie back and tying plot with Q would have made way more coherent sense than anything...But it seems that depressed drug addict, samurai kid raised by assassin grannies, (borderline racism-stereotyped south american) 'broken but still badass' pilot, stupid backstabbing white egghead and fanservice gore emporium are better selling points than proper (and existing) show lore

Applewhite
Aug 16, 2014

by vyelkin
Nap Ghost
While the expanded universe ties V'Ger to the Borg, aesthetically and thematically it seems to have very little relationship to them. The Borg aggressively assimilate living creatures to make more of itself, whereas V'Ger just catalogs things.

Erulisse
Feb 12, 2019

yup unrelated in-universe but seems like the writers took the concept of vger and made it into borg

The Protagonist
Jun 29, 2009

The average is 5.5? I thought it was 4. This is very unsettling.

I'm the fanservice gore emporium

Blistex
Oct 30, 2003

Macho Business
Donkey Wrestler
Hell, if they wanted the "Looming AI enemy" they could have brought up the fact that the Enterprise D developed a sentient lifeform (Emergence: Season 7, Episode 23) that took off and was never seen again. . . UNTIL NOW!

Also LOL that both Kurtzman treks relied on "Looming AI threat" for their stories. (Picard + STD Season 2)

Mulaney Power Move
Dec 30, 2004

I want diplomacy with lizard people and a B story where Quark tries to acquire the space shipping rights for Chateurobot Picard

Fashionable Jorts
Jan 18, 2010

Maybe if I'm busy it could keep me from you

Can we get a SciFi story where sentient AI isn't a threat?

Tighclops
Jan 23, 2008

Unable to deal with it

Grimey Drawer

Fashionable Jorts posted:

no

Applewhite
Aug 16, 2014

by vyelkin
Nap Ghost

Amazon is supposedly developing Consider Phlebas into an Amazon Original Series but I haven't heard anything about it since the announcement two years ago :/

HD DAD
Jan 13, 2010

Generic white guy.

Toilet Rascal
I want dimensional anomalies, time loops, and unknowable horror subspace aliens

Captain Hygiene
Sep 17, 2007

You mess with the crabbo...

HD DAD posted:

I want dimensional anomalies, time loops, and unknowable horror subspace aliens

Might I recommend a little show called "Star Trek: Discovery"

FeculentWizardTits
Aug 31, 2001

If you don't mind watching stuff that's 30+ years old, there's this show called Star Trek: The Next Generation

Fashionable Jorts
Jan 18, 2010

Communist Walrus posted:

If you don't mind watching stuff that's 30+ years old, there's this show called Star Trek: The Next Generation

I can only watch the Moriarti episode so many times.

Fashionable Jorts
Jan 18, 2010

I remember seeing a comic with a Superman-like character, and someone asking him "why don't you use your powers to change the world in a meaningful way" and him replying "because then it would be unrecognizable to the reader", and I really feel that when it comes to scifi authors.

Sentient AI that doesn't immeditaly turn evil and try and wipe out humanity is apparently just too dang difficult to write, so instead let's just karate kick the AI in the face to defeat it forever.

Mulaney Power Move
Dec 30, 2004

Hey, Sisko defeated a demon posessed lizardman with a football tackle and that was the end to the whole series

Bistromatic
Oct 3, 2004

And turn the inner eye
To see its path...

There was some talk about an Ancillary Justice TV series but it seems like nothing ever came of it.

Fashionable Jorts
Jan 18, 2010

I mean, that makes sense. If we've learned anything from Doomguy its that punching demons is always the right choice.

Endless Trash
Aug 12, 2007

Applewhite posted:

Amazon is supposedly developing Consider Phlebas into an Amazon Original Series but I haven't heard anything about it since the announcement two years ago :/

Been a while since I read it but I could’ve swore the plot centers around the location and capture of a super advanced and potentially dangerous AI?

Saint Drogo
Dec 26, 2011

the AI monsters being tentacles + evil red light is even lamer than the stock image premonition.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

HD DAD
Jan 13, 2010

Generic white guy.

Toilet Rascal

Captain Hygiene posted:

Might I recommend a little show called "Star Trek: Discovery"

I legit really like Discovery, ngl.