Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Randarkman
Jul 18, 2011

Fashionable Jorts posted:

Can we get a SciFi story where sentient AI isn't a threat?

It wouldn't really count as a sci-fi story per se, but one of the sourcebooks for the roleplaying game GURPS (the game has got alot of issues with actually being fun and easy to use, but the sourcebooks are mostly excellent, well-researched and applicable even outside of the GURPS framework) which dealt with alternate timelines and poo poo. One of the alternate timelines is called Caliph and is one where the whole world became Muslim, the reason being that in the 9th century the the printing press was invented, which led to scientific method and also steam power was invented in Egypt around the same time (using oil instead of coal). So you pretty much have have a world that had almost a 1000 years headstart on the scientific and industrial revolutions, so in 2000 or so it's Star Trek future land. Anyway there are AIs there and they were quickly identified as being the Djinn mentioned in the Quran, who were created by God from "smokeless fire" which interpreted as being a reference to electricity and that this had to refer to AIs. So the AIs basically have full rights the same as a human and they are all Muslims as well.

Not much more detail than that, but it's kind of fun idea for an alternate timeline.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

skasion
Feb 13, 2012

Why don't you perform zazen, facing a wall?
How does one perform salat without a body

Fashionable Jorts
Jan 18, 2010

Maybe if I'm busy it could keep me from you

Randarkman posted:

It wouldn't really count as a sci-fi story per se, but one of the sourcebooks for the roleplaying game GURPS (the game has got alot of issues with actually being fun and easy to use, but the sourcebooks are mostly excellent, well-researched and applicable even outside of the GURPS framework) which dealt with alternate timelines and poo poo. One of the alternate timelines is called Caliph and is one where the whole world became Muslim, the reason being that in the 9th century the the printing press was invented, which led to scientific method and also steam power was invented in Egypt around the same time (using oil instead of coal). So you pretty much have have a world that had almost a 1000 years headstart on the scientific and industrial revolutions, so in 2000 or so it's Star Trek future land. Anyway there are AIs there and they were quickly identified as being the Djinn mentioned in the Quran, who were created by God from "smokeless fire" which interpreted as being a reference to electricity and that this had to refer to AIs. So the AIs basically have full rights the same as a human and they are all Muslims as well.

Not much more detail than that, but it's kind of fun idea for an alternate timeline.

Thats actually really cool. GURPs has some pretty good lore tucked away in the madness.

Applewhite
Aug 16, 2014

by vyelkin
Nap Ghost

I wanna watch the Orville, but I loving hate Seth McFarlanes dumb face

Fair enough.

and annoying voice so much.

Aw come on, he has a beautiful voice.

Randarkman
Jul 18, 2011

skasion posted:

How does one perform salat without a body

If they can decide that "smokeless fire" is electricity and that makes AI the Djinn mentioned in the Quran then I think they can probably figure out a solution for this one.

Thats actually really cool. GURPs has some pretty good lore tucked away in the madness.

Oh yeah, you can say what you want about the rules and the actual game and I'll probably agree with you. But the sourcebooks are mostly amazing and they are specifically written to be broadly applicable and not necessarily require to be used with GURPS. They're mostly just a bunch of info and world building tips.
As I said they're also very well researched and can often be a good source of general information about the subjects they are about even, and they've all got extensive bibliographies for further reading. I almost can't say enough good about them.

Applewhite
Aug 16, 2014

by vyelkin
Nap Ghost

Wicker Man posted:

I only read the first one, and it was like 4 years ago so I probably missed some fine details pulling it from memory.

In later books the AIs are... less sympathetic.

They fill an endless labyrinth with human skeletons

Fashionable Jorts
Jan 18, 2010

Applewhite posted:

Aw come on, he has a beautiful voice.

he might, but its impossible to separate it from how lovely of a person he is.

Wicker Man
Sep 5, 2007

Just like Columbus...

Clapping Larry

Applewhite posted:

In later books the AIs are... less sympathetic.

They fill an endless labyrinth with human skeletons

poo poo, I was wondering what the sequels held. Sorry for the bum recommendation.

Trying
Sep 26, 2019

AI is going to take one look at humanity and nope out off into the stars

Erulisse
Feb 12, 2019

A bad poster trying to get better.

he might, but its impossible to separate it from how lovely of a person he is.

Did I miss something and hes the next weinstein sort of guy?

Applewhite
Aug 16, 2014

by vyelkin
Nap Ghost

AntherUslessPoster posted:

Did I miss something and hes the next weinstein sort of guy?

Yeah I haven't looked into him or anything, but the general impression is he's pretty genial (Dan Povenmire and Jeff Marsh seem to like him). I'd be sad if he turned out to be a sex pest or something.

Worf
Sep 12, 2017

If only Seth would love me like I love him!

most ppl ive encountered simply dont like his success :shrug:

like the guy is supposed to apologize for making family guy

Blistex
Oct 30, 2003

Macho Business
Donkey Wrestler

Statutory Ape posted:

This is 99.9% it. Pretty much every non-lovely person in Hollywood/Broadway says he's an all around genuinely awesome guy with nice teeth. People hate him because he made a shitload of money on a show that's crappy, which he hasn't written for in over a decade, and the worst part about it is that he forces millions of people to watch it against their will by. . . some means.

Erulisse
Feb 12, 2019

Statutory Ape posted:

Tbqh thats exactly what I heard from other people. Avid haters of family guy are the ones who hate him.
Indeed, maniacal hardcore trekkie and a kid that grew up in a family with loving weird af sense of humor (from his eazrly 90s interview, will try to find the source) who makes a fortune off a cartoon that parodies the everliving gently caress out of all and possible stereotypes, moral standards, tropes and persons, and creates explosive jokes about racism pedophelia politics - cannot be loved or even understood by all. But he does seem like a cool and talented person, his co-stars, colleagues and friends seem to like him and enjoy his company.

Worf
Sep 12, 2017

yeah. he seems like a decent dude. my sister lives out that way and has partied at his place and her tolerance for actual rear end- tbh, shes a bad barometer but she said he was a cool dude.

Tbqh thats exactly what I heard from other people. Avid haters of family guy are the ones who hate him.
Indeed, maniacal hardcore trekkie and a kid that grew up in a family with loving weird af sense of humor (from his eazrly 90s interview, will try to find the source) who makes a fortune off a cartoon that parodies the everliving gently caress out of all and possible stereotypes, moral standards, tropes and persons, and creates explosive jokes about racism pedophelia politics - cannot be loved or even understood by all. But he does seem like a cool and talented person, his co-stars, colleagues and friends seem to like him and enjoy his company.

yeah like, he got to be a huge fuckin nerd and make a cartoon then just put other things hed rather be making (trek, wars, et al) into said cartoon

now hes making the best trek show on TV

i admire the guy

DOMDOM
Apr 28, 2007

Fun Shoe
I dare you to try to watch A Million Ways to Die in the West.

I think it's the last movie I can remember turning off not even midway through.

Orville is good. Galaxy Quest did it better.

DOMDOM
Apr 28, 2007

Fun Shoe
And new Trek makes my heart hurt.

Erulisse
Feb 12, 2019

DOMDOM posted:

Best bit:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=DTZ1bgOIaAY[
Spoilers for who didn't watch but were planning to.

Applewhite
Aug 16, 2014

by vyelkin
Nap Ghost

DOMDOM posted:

Orville is good. Galaxy Quest did it better.

I didn’t hate AMW2DitW. I sort of viewed it as an extended standup bit. Not great but it made me chuckle.

Paddyo
Aug 3, 2007

Wicker Man posted:

poo poo, I was wondering what the sequels held. Sorry for the bum recommendation.

No way man, that series is awesome. I would definitely recommend that you at least take a look at Fall of Hyperion.

Worf
Sep 12, 2017

cool, i grabbed fire upon the deep. mebbe ill start reading it tonight

infernal machines
Oct 11, 2012

we monitor many frequencies. we listen always. came a voice, out of the babel of tongues, speaking to us. it played us a mighty dub.
Orville: When you want a pastiche of things Star Trek did 25+ years ago, with butt humour

Applewhite
Aug 16, 2014

by vyelkin
Nap Ghost

infernal machines posted:

Orville: When you want a pastiche of things Star Trek did 25+ years ago, with butt humour

So... perfect for me?

No but seriously it’s also updated with updated social and technological commentary that might not have occurred to the writers of TNG. Is it as good as TNG? Not quite, but I’d argue it is good Trek.

Fashionable Jorts
Jan 18, 2010

I don't think McFarlane has been involved in any sex scandals, he just hates trans people.

Erulisse
Feb 12, 2019

infernal machines posted:

tbqh here but he is the family guy guy, to pitch it for fox he had to butt humor it. It gets better in s2 and as they moved to hulu for s3...

Erulisse
Feb 12, 2019

I don't think McFarlane has been involved in any sex scandals, he just hates trans people.

Could you elaborate on that?

Worf
Sep 12, 2017

tbqh here but he is the family guy guy, to pitch it for fox he had to butt humor it. It gets better in s2 and as they moved to hulu for s3...

is hulu orville just gonna be full blown tng s4

Fashionable Jorts
Jan 18, 2010

Could you elaborate on that?

The quagmire's dad episode is disgusting, and he went on to say “I can safely say that the transsexual community will be very, very happy with the “Quagmire” episode that we have coming up in a couple of months.  It’s probably the most sympathetic portrayal of a transsexual character that has ever been on television, dare I say.”, and just a season or so ago used that character to bash trans people again.

And while I haven't seen it, I heard theres an Orville episode about gender reassignment that's gross.

venomsnek
Apr 13, 2018

THE KING UTTERED SOMETHING

The quagmire's dad episode is disgusting, and he went on to say “I can safely say that the transsexual community will be very, very happy with the “Quagmire” episode that we have coming up in a couple of months.  It’s probably the most sympathetic portrayal of a transsexual character that has ever been on television, dare I say.”, and just a season or so ago used that character to bash trans people again.

And while I haven't seen it, I heard theres an Orville episode about gender reassignment that's gross.

The Family Guy and the South Park guys are really salty about trans people, they’ve both gone out of their way to punch down on trans folks.

infernal machines
Oct 11, 2012

we monitor many frequencies. we listen always. came a voice, out of the babel of tongues, speaking to us. it played us a mighty dub.

Applewhite posted:

So... perfect for me?

No but seriously it’s also updated with updated social and technological commentary that might not have occurred to the writers of TNG. Is it as good as TNG? Not quite, but I’d argue it is good Trek.

Yeah, that's fair, I'm not making a judgement of quality, I'm just saying that's what the show appears to be, for better or worse

Fashionable Jorts
Jan 18, 2010

venomsnek posted:

The Family Guy and the South Park guys are really salty about trans people, they’ve both gone out of their way to punch down on trans folks.

Yeah, the jokes they make aren't funny, aren't satire, they're just vicious attacks hidden behind "its just a joke"

Peachfart
Jan 21, 2017

Seth doesn't write Family Guy. And he is the last non-sex pest in Hollywood.

Fashionable Jorts
Jan 18, 2010

Peachfart posted:

Seth doesn't write Family Guy. And he is the last non-sex pest in Hollywood.

Yeah, he's just executive producer and voices the trans character in family guy.

Lister
Apr 23, 2004

I just don't like is that I'm certain there are other actors that would have been a better fit as the captain on Orville but he wrote the part for himself. He's passable in the role, but he's definitely not good.

Peachfart
Jan 21, 2017

Yeah, he's just executive producer and voices the trans character in family guy.

Actually, yes. He made the show and he voices several characters. That is all.

Fashionable Jorts
Jan 18, 2010

Peachfart posted:

Actually, yes. He made the show and he voices several characters. That is all.

I don't get what youre trying to say here.

chaosbreather
Dec 9, 2001

Wry and wise,
but also very sexual.

Lister posted:

I just don't like is that I'm certain there are other actors that would have been a better fit as the captain on Orville but he wrote the part for himself. He's passable in the role, but he's definitely not good.

It's been Seth's dream since forever to be the captain, so he used insane amounts of political and fiscal capital to make a show where he can be captain. There might be better actors for the role, but none who love Star Trek enough to do that. gently caress, pretty much everyone working on nutrek hates Star Trek.

Personally I'm worried that the Orville was dependent on him being the biggest fish in the Fox pond. Now that Disney owns him, his massive successes that made him able to get that show done are dwarfed by billion dollar franchises and has to suddenly compete with grimdark hispec on the left and Star Wars on the right.

Tighclops
Jan 23, 2008

Unable to deal with it

Grimey Drawer

chaosbreather posted:

gently caress, pretty much everyone working on nutrek hates Star Trek.

I don't know that this is true. I can't decide if it's more likely that they like Star Trek for some reason and what they've made is the best their, um... bad? sensibilities can produce, or if they just see it as a paycheck and therefore most of their "creative" decisions are driven by whatever they think will bring in fans. But do they really hate it?

I suppose any difference that makes no difference is no difference.

Endless Trash
Aug 12, 2007

Tighclops posted:

I don't know that this is true. I can't decide if it's more likely that they like Star Trek for some reason and what they've made is the best their, um... bad? sensibilities can produce, or if they just see it as a paycheck and therefore most of their "creative" decisions are driven by whatever they think will bring in fans. But do they really hate it?

I think they might feel like they’re saving Star Trek by :angel:refurbishing its reputation.:angel:

“Maybe we can get other people into the rest of Star Trek if, in these new shows, we replace the technobabble and optimism with swearing, drugs, murder, and Klingon titties?”

Or maybe they’re just opportunistic fuckers who saw money to be made in farting out new content for a legacy franchise. Who can say?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Prism Mirror Lens
Oct 9, 2012

~*"The most intelligent and meaning-rich film he could think of was Shaun of the Dead, I don't think either brain is going to absorb anything you post."*~

:chord:

Tighclops posted:

I think it’s more like, a lot of the people working on it are too “behind the scenes” to get any joy out of classic Trek as a viewer. Some of the actors, like Meaney and Burton, sound like they cared about the Trek message and values. Others who were heavily involved in PIC, like Stewart and Frakes, seem to regard it as a bit of a joke and just some stupid laser gun scifi show they worked on for ages. They want to have fun making those characters run around blowing people up, travel to cool blade runner planets, and have sword fights. The writers are presumably the same, they’ve been working in tv for ages and are kind of bored of it, they just want to have some fun and make something “cool” with an established setting that will make money.

It’s like how I might talk to a customer of my software and they’ll tell me how much it helps their daily work and what a good job I did on it. But I know I mostly just work on that software for money and because I enjoy programming, not really because I so deeply care about the good of the users. And I’ve seen all the stupid behind-the-scenes bickering and corner-cutting and hacking, so that all I see when use the software is a tired, boring, tedious thing that needs more new exciting cool features.

They need some fresh blood on the writing/production team, probably