Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Captain Hygiene
Sep 17, 2007

You mess with the crabbo...

I think it makes more sense when it's more like "hey, don't just go around handing out free warp drives to less developed planets" and less when it's "just let this planet die to some natural disaster, unless you become consciously aware a small child exists on it". Like said above, just too many writers without a single unified vision on what it meant or how to use it.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Son of Rodney
Feb 22, 2006

ohmygodohmygodohmygod

gbs but from 2004 posted:

Already been said, but the Orville is what you’re looking for

Yeah thanks for the tip, I'm gonna check it out soon!

Play
Apr 25, 2006

Strong stroll for a mangy stray
not a Star Trek fan but I've watched the first three episodes, mostly. It seems decent, just decent

There's some new show coming out with Hugh Laurie on an intergalactic cruise ship that looks kinda fun

Icochet
Mar 18, 2008

I have a very small TV. Don't make fun of it! Please don't shame it like that~

Grimey Drawer
hope it's a scifi remake of the Jeeves And Wooster cruise ship episode

gbs but from 2004
Oct 24, 2004

wow u rude pig

"i STarTed this TOIlEt Of A tHreaD aNd HAve sOmEHOW aVoidEd A red teXt"

Son of Rodney posted:

Yeah thanks for the tip, I'm gonna check it out soon!

The first few episodes are a little rough as some of the humour seems kind of forced but I’m convinced Seth macfarlane did it because he pitched the show as ‘family guy in space’ to get it greenlit then did what he wanted once the suits had stopped watching after a few eps

Captain Hygiene
Sep 17, 2007

gbs but from 2004 posted:

The first few episodes are a little rough as some of the humour seems kind of forced but I’m convinced Seth macfarlane did it because he pitched the show as ‘family guy in space’ to get it greenlit then did what he wanted once the suits had stopped watching after a few eps

I keep thinking I need to give that another try. I just couldn't get into this first few episodes, but I've heard from a few people that it does improve a lot.

Crypto Cobain
Jun 17, 2018

by Reene

Fallows posted:

Its pretty good actually
Agreed even my wife enjoys it and she's not a sci-fi person by any stretch of the imagination.

MakaVillian
Aug 16, 2003

Well, in Whoville they say - that his tiny hands grew three sizes that day.

A Very Sexy Baby posted:

"Picard" is ignoring the gently caress out of DS9 and that makes me sad. JLP said to the reporter "you're a stranger to war" when San Francisco got flattened by the Dominion during her teens/20s.

Well I mean compared to someone in Starfleet during the Dominion War she would know next to nothing. I wonder how much Earth would've even had to suffer during the war, aside from the Breen attack.

BoldFrankensteinMir
Jul 28, 2006

Aren't there still little manta ray brain worm things controlling the highest tiers of the Federation? Much like the whole "warp travel is actually ripping the universe apart!" thing, the brain slugs seemed super important but were never resolved.

Meme Poker Party
Sep 1, 2006

by Azathoth

BoldFrankensteinMir posted:

Aren't there still little manta ray brain worm things controlling the highest tiers of the Federation? Much like the whole "warp travel is actually ripping the universe apart!" thing, the brain slugs seemed super important but were never resolved.

You're talking about the ones from early TNG before the Borg, right? What do you mean when you say they were "never resolved"?

They blew up the queen bug inside that adjutant guy in the control room and the rest of the bugs died without it. Unless you just mean that they never came back again , which yeah I guess leaves it unresolved in that they are potentially still out there, thinking about thos Feds.

Captain Hygiene
Sep 17, 2007

I was secretly hoping Picard would be the surprise sequel where they finally showed up again but nope. Probably for the best when their super secret infiltration plan depends on everyone not being checked to see if they have a small tentacle sticking out the back of their head.

Piggy Smalls
Jun 21, 2015

BOSS MAKES A DOLLAR,
YOU MAKE A DIME,
I'LL LICK HIS BOOT TILL THOSE MOTHERFUCKERS SHINE.

Just caught up with the episodes and can’t wait for the next one

spacetoaster
Feb 10, 2014

I'm a person who waits until something has been out a while before binging on it.

I heard that their retconning starfleet as some kind of racist/facist org, or being full of them? Is that true? Because lol if they have.

Last Chance
Dec 31, 2004

This show sucks, pilot was okay, turned off the second episode about twenty minutes in. It's really bad folks.

wesleywillis
Dec 30, 2016

SUCK A MALE CAMEL'S DICK WITH MIRACLE WHIP!!

Chomp8645 posted:

You're talking about the ones from early TNG before the Borg, right? What do you mean when you say they were "never resolved"?

They blew up the queen bug inside that adjutant guy in the control room and the rest of the bugs died without it. Unless you just mean that they never came back again , which yeah I guess leaves it unresolved in that they are potentially still out there, thinking about thos Feds.

I always thought that would have been a good topic fora movie as the following from memory alpha states:

https://memory-alpha.fandom.com/wiki/Conspiracy_(episode)

Back aboard the Enterprise-D, Picard notes in his log that Admiral Quinn will make a full recovery, and with the death of the "mother creature" inside of Remmick, the remaining parasites died while Riker reveals that Dr. Crusher had simulated the gill on the back of his neck in order to fool everyone, including Picard. As the Enterprise-D moves on into space, Data theorizes that the message Remmick was transmitting at the time he died was a homing beacon.

As the Enterprise moves on through space, the sound of electronic beeping is heard, focused on an unexplored patch of the galaxy, leaving the ominous possibility that some or all of Remmick's message might still reach its intended recipients, letting the parasites know where to find Earth.

BoldFrankensteinMir
Jul 28, 2006

Chomp8645 posted:

Okay you're right, I looked it up and they all died with their queen. What I was thinking of was, at the end of that episode they send a "homing beacon" to some uncharted part of the galaxy. So that never gets resolved but I guess it could just have not amounted to anything. Or the brainworms and the borg are buds or something, I dunno. Awesome exploding head effect in that ep though, Star Trek with gore effects is wonderful:

memory-alpha posted:

A mold of Paul Newman's face was filled with raw meat and then blown up to create the effect used when Picard and Riker fire on Remmick, but both Rick Berman and Peter Lauritson were concerned that it was too graphic. Dan Curry invited his six-year-old son to watch the episode in order to test how children would react to it; the boy reportedly liked it so much that he suggested the creation of a Remmick action figure whose head would blow up by pressing a button. This resulted in Berman deciding to air the episode uncut with the full sequence included.

The speed-limit on warp thing is much more egregious, there's an entire memory-alpha page devoted to all the convenient excuses, throw-away-lines and non-canon explanations about it .

SnipeShow
Nov 7, 2009

That dance wasn't as safe as they said it was.

Ralph Crammed In posted:

Also the Romulan brother and sister are pretty incesty and I haaaaate that that's just something they slip into TV now.

Don't watch Locke and Key then.

Rutibex
Sep 9, 2001

by Fluffdaddy

Captain Hygiene posted:

I was sorta hoping he'd be revealed in the pilot to have like three dozen kids, having devoted the time since quitting Starfleet to making babies basically nonstop.

he should go to that clone world from S1 TNG. they were begging for new DNA

Rutibex
Sep 9, 2001

by Fluffdaddy

This is a good point. If you're gonna go so far as to think "well why help anybody if it might possibly go wrong?" then being an explorer/diplomat is a really weird choice of profession. And you can't really argue that you're protecting people's agency by making a decision for them, behind their backs, based on your values not theirs.

The biggest hiccup with the prime directive is that the line between "yes you can have warp" and "no way you animals, we're gonna observe you from a duck-blind" is whether or not you already built a warp drive on your own. Which seems to make sense until you realize oh yeah, time travel. In First Contact we find out that it was just dumb luck that the Enterprise D crew was around to man all the technical stations at the "first" warp experiment, and in Little Green Men we find out our real first contact was in 1947 and Odo using wildshape is all that kept us from being conquered by the Ferengi. Or no, I guess real first contact was when Guinan met Mark Twain? Or maybe ancient cultures knew aliens too? There are just so many random episodes and movie moments suggesting over and over that humans got like 20 "first" contacts, and all their fancy future tech wasn't ever really invented, it was just left behind on time-jaunts; Scotty hotkeying up some transparent aluminum on an Apple 2 and such. Joining the federation is supposed to be about proving yourself worthy but it's clearly just serendipity, their "new guys have to earn it first!" rule is a huge double standard when every human on Earth found out time travel was real and relatively easy at the end of Star Trek IV.

its worse than that. in the Voyager episode "Futures End" we find out that microprocessors and basically all computer technology on earth was plagiarized by some evil businessman who found a crashed time machine

wesleywillis
Dec 30, 2016

Rutibex posted:

its worse than that. in the Voyager episode "Futures End" we find out that microprocessors and basically all computer technology on earth was plagiarized by some evil businessman who found a crashed time machine

Berlinghoff Rasmussen.

BoldFrankensteinMir
Jul 28, 2006

Rutibex posted:

Ugh. So the whole "humans should be proud of their tech prowess!" thing is completely hollow, great.

It's kinda like, have you seen that new Lost in Space show? The robot is actually an alien robot now and humans don't know how to build their own robots which just boggles my mind, of all the meaningful and timely topics you could discuss in your scifi show, why throw away the one that's a crystallizing image for the whole franchise?

Piggy Smalls
Jun 21, 2015

BOSS MAKES A DOLLAR,
YOU MAKE A DIME,
I'LL LICK HIS BOOT TILL THOSE MOTHERFUCKERS SHINE.

I guess this is the same way they screwed up Battlestar Galactica?

BoldFrankensteinMir
Jul 28, 2006

Pretty much, and I've got my eye on the way they handle androids on Picard too. We very badly need to have serious conversations about the societal impact of real robots but a lot of scifi TV shows, the obvious outlet for that, have dropped the ball lately in the interest of the viewers' comfort and that sucks.

Play
Apr 25, 2006

Strong stroll for a mangy stray

spacetoaster posted:

I'm a person who waits until something has been out a while before binging on it.

I heard that their retconning starfleet as some kind of racist/facist org, or being full of them? Is that true? Because lol if they have.

I don't know a lot about Star Trek so I'm not sure if it's "retconning". The plot seems to be that Starfleet changed significantly after this huge attack by synthetic workers where Starfleet refused to help or something. Became more isolationist and sketchy, I dunno about racist or fascist I've only seen a few episodes.

Rutibex
Sep 9, 2001

by Fluffdaddy

Pretty much, and I've got my eye on the way they handle androids on Picard too. We very badly need to have serious conversations about the societal impact of real robots but a lot of scifi TV shows, the obvious outlet for that, have dropped the ball lately in the interest of the viewers' comfort and that sucks.

dont worry, black mirrors got you

MakaVillian
Aug 16, 2003

Well, in Whoville they say - that his tiny hands grew three sizes that day.

Chomp8645 posted:

They were originally supposed to be the basis for the Borg, but that angle was dropped.

Raldikuk
Apr 7, 2006

I'm bad with money and I want that meatball!

spacetoaster posted:

The end of Insurrection basically discussed this

BoldFrankensteinMir
Jul 28, 2006

Rutibex posted:

dont worry, black mirrors got you

Right, and even then I'm not saying everything has to be apocalyptic cautionary tales. If Star Trek: Picard was more like, for example Robot and Frank, and instead of having twenty minute long rooftop kung-fu fight scenes old Jean-Luc just needed an android to help him stand up in the shower or administer his insulin, I think that'd be a lot more effective commentary and probably a better story in general.

Captain Hygiene
Sep 17, 2007

LOL I've wished for more talk and less action too but the rooftop scene is literally less than two minutes long total.

BoldFrankensteinMir
Jul 28, 2006

I just wanna see Patrick Stewart with old-man face bandaids and an IV stand that he calls Mr. Data, shuffling down halls in a hospital gown and barking orders at nurses because he thinks he's still on the Enterprise bridge. Is that so much to ask?

gary oldmans diary
Sep 26, 2005

I just wanna see Patrick Stewart with old-man face bandaids and an IV stand that he calls Mr. Data, shuffling down halls in a hospital gown and barking orders at nurses because he thinks he's still on the Enterprise bridge. Is that so much to ask?
this is basically how people perceived him in the next gen finale. its probably due for a rewatch

Captain Hygiene
Sep 17, 2007

Man it's too bad we can't have Patrick Stewart inserted into that part of the role now that he finally looks really old. That was a great finale but it has to try really hard to overcome old person makeup.

BoldFrankensteinMir
Jul 28, 2006

Yeah or have him do like a play version of The Inner Light.

Dely Apple
Apr 22, 2006

Sing me Spanish Techno

They should retcon the TNG movies by taking them off all media formats and never mentioning them again. Like, was even one remotely good? No.

Captain Hygiene
Sep 17, 2007

I thought everyone either (a) loved First Contact but not the others, or (b) loved the others but not First Contact

staberind
Feb 20, 2008

but i dont wanna be a spaceship
Fun Shoe
the inner 4 lights.

wesleywillis
Dec 30, 2016

Captain Hygiene posted:

I thought everyone either (a) loved First Contact but not the others, or (b) loved the others but not First Contact

I think its the every odd number Star trek movie curse or whatever.
The Motion Picture was awful, but Wrath of Khan was good, Search For Spock was bad (I liked it myself), the "One with the whales" was good, Final Frontier bad, Undiscovered country good, Generations bad, First Contact good. Don't know about after that.....

Bodyholes
Jun 30, 2005

Blistex posted:

Put this in the OP, and at the top of every page. Full size!

I don't trust a 40 year old man with the hairline of a 12 year old girl. There's something shifty about it...

wesleywillis posted:

I think its the every odd number Star trek movie curse or whatever.
The Motion Picture was awful, but Wrath of Khan was good, Search For Spock was bad (I liked it myself), the "One with the whales" was good, Final Frontier bad, Undiscovered country good, Generations bad, First Contact good. Don't know about after that.....

The even/odd thing was true but I still like the odd ones up to Generations. Yeah even the one everyone hates. :shrug:

Captain Hygiene
Sep 17, 2007

Bodyholes posted:

Yeah even the one everyone hates. :shrug:

Nemesis is the only absolute dogshit one, imo. At least the other bad ones have some heart and decent moments/story ideas.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Peachfart
Jan 21, 2017

Captain Hygiene posted:

The only good Star Trek movies were the TOS ones, and I don't even like TOS that much. The TNG movies are loving garbage.