Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Captain Hygiene
Sep 17, 2007

You mess with the crabbo...

I like it, but it's one of those extremely serialized shows that's tough to get a complete read on until it completes its arc. I guess more than anything I appreciate that long stretches (maybe even a full episode) go by without an action scene, something Disco has leaned way too far into. Just let the characters breath. And the Romulans are finally interesting as characters. Oh, and

:hellyeah:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Captain Hygiene
Sep 17, 2007

It's weird, but some people really do like Voyager. Not me, just...some people.

Captain Hygiene
Sep 17, 2007

Robo Reagan posted:

some people also like eating crayons

Captain Hygiene
Sep 17, 2007

davidspackage posted:

hell of a power move

You can't make a Best Captain omelette without breaking some eggs

Captain Hygiene
Sep 17, 2007

Docahedron posted:

It seems like star trek uber nerds hate it.

Star Trek uber nerds hate everything, especially Star Trek.

Captain Hygiene
Sep 17, 2007

wesleywillis posted:

Picard is back on earth at his family vineyard to have kids so that Chateau Picard doesn't die since his brother and nephew died in a horrible fire.

I was sorta hoping he'd be revealed in the pilot to have like three dozen kids, having devoted the time since quitting Starfleet to making babies basically nonstop.

Captain Hygiene
Sep 17, 2007

Before Discovery I thought I wanted a heavily serialized Star Trek, but it's really the standalone episodes that I ended up liking more. In retrospect, DS9 had a good structure, most seasons had general development but until the big series finale you could still watch a lot of them as standalone stories with just a general sense of where they fit overall. I think that's what I'd have liked best for Disco assuming they'd have to have some kind of larger storyline going on. (Picard hasn't bothered me that way so far just because it's so very different than the space exploration Trek shows)

Captain Hygiene
Sep 17, 2007

I think it makes more sense when it's more like "hey, don't just go around handing out free warp drives to less developed planets" and less when it's "just let this planet die to some natural disaster, unless you become consciously aware a small child exists on it". Like said above, just too many writers without a single unified vision on what it meant or how to use it.

Captain Hygiene
Sep 17, 2007

gbs but from 2004 posted:

The first few episodes are a little rough as some of the humour seems kind of forced but I’m convinced Seth macfarlane did it because he pitched the show as ‘family guy in space’ to get it greenlit then did what he wanted once the suits had stopped watching after a few eps

I keep thinking I need to give that another try. I just couldn't get into this first few episodes, but I've heard from a few people that it does improve a lot.

Captain Hygiene
Sep 17, 2007

I was secretly hoping Picard would be the surprise sequel where they finally showed up again but nope. Probably for the best when their super secret infiltration plan depends on everyone not being checked to see if they have a small tentacle sticking out the back of their head.

Captain Hygiene
Sep 17, 2007

LOL I've wished for more talk and less action too but the rooftop scene is literally less than two minutes long total.

Captain Hygiene
Sep 17, 2007

Man it's too bad we can't have Patrick Stewart inserted into that part of the role now that he finally looks really old. That was a great finale but it has to try really hard to overcome old person makeup.

Captain Hygiene
Sep 17, 2007

I thought everyone either (a) loved First Contact but not the others, or (b) loved the others but not First Contact

Captain Hygiene
Sep 17, 2007

Bodyholes posted:

Yeah even the one everyone hates. :shrug:

Nemesis is the only absolute dogshit one, imo. At least the other bad ones have some heart and decent moments/story ideas.

Captain Hygiene
Sep 17, 2007

Colonel Cancer posted:

:psypop:

Holy poo poo I didn't know star trek was awesome

I love that scene because I sneak watched it as a little kid in one of its first runs, was absolutely terrified, then assumed it was a dream for a couple decades until I caught up on the show again in the streaming era and was all :aaaaa:

Captain Hygiene
Sep 17, 2007

Tin Can Hit Man posted:

They absolutely did. But it was always approached with a more optimistic sense of "we can do/be better" rather than some cynical "everybody is selfish/human nature is violent" angle that is being presented as some kind of hip new take on the genre.

The aggravating thing is that Discovery occasionally gets there and it feels so good. It's just in a sea of all the dark/edgy/overly convoluted action and intrigue /etc.

Captain Hygiene
Sep 17, 2007

Chomp8645 posted:

An experiment with splitting Quark produces thousands of Quarks, causing the universe to fall into a lower latinum state.

"Captain, we're receiving 285,000 complaints about Odo's behavior"

Captain Hygiene
Sep 17, 2007

infernal machines posted:

I love the dramatic musical sting and zoom in on Spock when the Romulans are finally revealed in that episode and they look just like Vulcans, and then no, no one really cares and it's not brought up again.

There's a whole subplot about a guy being space racist because Spock looks like the badguys :confused:

Captain Hygiene
Sep 17, 2007

BoldFrankensteinMir posted:

FTFY. Of all the dumb Star Trek opinions I have, this is the one worth fighting for.

This is true, TAS is actually a surprisingly decent follow-up if you go in acknowledging the budget and storytelling constraints.

Captain Hygiene
Sep 17, 2007

I like the upgrade overall, some of the effects are hit or miss (especially in the earlier edits) but they mostly fit in pretty well, like how I "remember" them looking. More than anything I'm fine with them because you can switch back to the old version if you buy the physical copies, none of that George Lucas "this is now the only version" bs.

Captain Hygiene
Sep 17, 2007

GolfHole posted:

say hello to baby star trek

Captain Hygiene
Sep 17, 2007

Haramstufe Rot posted:

A serious TNG show literally can not exist anymore, as all hope for a genuine Utopia is gone, dead and buried.

Absolute bullshit, and a sign of

JK Fresco posted:

drat a lot of suicidal brokebrain goons itt

It's just the franchise getting stuck in media trends, there's no reason other than that a show can't be hopeful or optimistic.

Captain Hygiene
Sep 17, 2007

BoldFrankensteinMir posted:

"Should have been more than sufficient"

:lmao: Never change, wiki authors

Captain Hygiene
Sep 17, 2007

WorldsStongestNerd posted:

Why yes Vulcans could make clones of themselves and transfer their katra to live forever.

As if Starfleet couldn't make an infinite clone army using transporters at any given moment

Captain Hygiene
Sep 17, 2007

Rutibex posted:

yeah but when you mirror someone with the transporter they split up into separate personalities. i suppose you could use the psycho people as ground troops, but the passive people would be really useless. none of them could man a starship properly

Certain types of accidents mirror people, other times you can just get an actual duplicate, or use an old buffered copy to overwrite somebody, meaning all their information is saved in there. The possibilities are endless.

Captain Hygiene
Sep 17, 2007

Rutibex posted:

Kirk literally discovers time travel in "The Naked Time" and uses it casually at least twice that i can remember.

I really hate this as an intentional plot device. It's pretty funny later in the series when they're just like "ok, we're randomly studying 1960s Earth this week" but by the movies it just makes me wonder why they're not using it every time there's a big tragedy or existential threat.

Captain Hygiene
Sep 17, 2007

I wish I could remember the source, but some podcast I listened to went into some depth theorizing just how many people get killed/duplicated/etc given the transporter accident rate we see in the show. There's gotta be millions of incidents, given how it's commonly used across the galaxy.

Captain Hygiene
Sep 17, 2007

Peachfart posted:

Souls don't exist, op

Except for Vulcans

Captain Hygiene
Sep 17, 2007

I didn't realize today was opposite day :confused:

Captain Hygiene
Sep 17, 2007

gently caress

Captain Hygiene
Sep 17, 2007

AntherUslessPoster posted:

I really hope they will never introduce and/or canonise (if its beta canon) Mirror JLP.

Agreed, the small screen could not contain such manliness.

Captain Hygiene
Sep 17, 2007

Shaocaholica posted:

The really cheap holodeck episodes are when they go back to current times so they can just film where ever. Maybe they can go back to when Trump gets re elected in 2020.

:hmmyes:

Captain Hygiene
Sep 17, 2007

The Human Crouton posted:

I liked the mobster TOS episode because the mobsters kept calling phasers "heaters". It was really cute.

Also talking about The Feds stepping in if they don't play nice :lmao:

Captain Hygiene
Sep 17, 2007

*planet immediately ceases to exist as credits roll*

Captain Hygiene
Sep 17, 2007

It didn't happen because transporters don't work that way, and it's definitely not something they'd make up for one episode and never use again

Captain Hygiene
Sep 17, 2007

Yeah I remember plenty of shots going through the beam just barely too late, but I don't think they pulled that technological trickery more than once or twice.

Captain Hygiene
Sep 17, 2007

I mean, I have plenty of problems with it but I'm still enjoying it. Haven't watched this week's ep though so I don't know how elf camp works out aside from that gif posted earlier.

Captain Hygiene
Sep 17, 2007

Bogus Adventure posted:

If you hate The Naked Now, then you don't have a soul. :colbert:

:awesomelon:

Captain Hygiene
Sep 17, 2007

What in tarnation??

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Captain Hygiene
Sep 17, 2007

Shaocaholica posted:

What happens if you take a poop in a holodeck toilet or jizz into a holo person? Are those activities allowed on a federation vessel?

What if senile old picard goes to bed in his holo chateau and wakes up and uses the bathroom?

It took me a while to consciously realize it but the holodecks also use transporter and replicator tech, so if you poop or whatever the computer will just surreptitiously beam it into space (or wherever poop goes in the 24th century)