Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Robo Reagan
Feb 12, 2012

by Fluffdaddy
i heard brent spiner is a weird egomaniac dick irl or maybe i got him confused with shatner. okay thats my star trek story

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Robo Reagan
Feb 12, 2012

by Fluffdaddy

Kharnifex posted:

There's something really off about it

Camera angles, bad acting and dialogue, poo poo doesn't gel.

theres a 20 minute fight scene with a matrix jump its like dang add an intermission so i can have a smoke break

Robo Reagan
Feb 12, 2012

by Fluffdaddy

Captain Hygiene posted:

I like it, but it's one of those extremely serialized shows that's tough to get a complete read on until it completes its arc. I guess more than anything I appreciate that long stretches (maybe even a full episode) go by without an action scene, something Disco has leaned way too far into. Just let the characters breath. And the Romulans are finally interesting as characters. Oh, and

:hellyeah:

dumbo remake lookin sci fi

Robo Reagan
Feb 12, 2012

by Fluffdaddy
the best star trek was voyager because none of the writers coiluld figure out how to wrote a female lead so theres 20 different janeways and you can pick your favorite

Robo Reagan
Feb 12, 2012

by Fluffdaddy

Captain Hygiene posted:

It's weird, but some people really do like Voyager. Not me, just...some people.

some people also like eating crayons

Robo Reagan
Feb 12, 2012

by Fluffdaddy

Skarsnik posted:

I just have no loving clue what is going on half the time in this and I swear I've been paying attention for most of it

Why does it have to be so overwritten and complicated

E: got halfway into episode 4 and realised I just didn't care about any of the characters or how any of whatever the gently caress was going on was going to be resolved.

if its overly complex its automatically good. see also: people freaking out over inception for what is a story of a guy getting over the death of his wife but the writer was a meth addict

not knocking the movie. i liked it. people just tend to think that stuff is brilliant if theres a lot goi g o so that in turn makes writers come up with big dumb ideas with no impact because theres no baseline to get people to care

Robo Reagan
Feb 12, 2012

by Fluffdaddy
the cbs all access defender has logged in

Robo Reagan
Feb 12, 2012

by Fluffdaddy
everyone wants to make some JJ star trek money because these big products are about appealing to everyone instead of milking a niche crowd for 50 years, for some reason. a lot of these shows are like a pump and dump scheme that people try to get cash out of on name recognition and spectacle alone lol

the weird thing is their ideas with this seem to be the opposite of what they should be. throw 90 year old pat in front of a green screen and add explosions for a 2 hour long movie. ever since the sopranos and breaking bad people expect way more depth from actual series. but im not an ivy league businessman so hosed if i actually understand this poo poo

Robo Reagan fucked around with this message at 02:27 on Feb 22, 2020

Robo Reagan
Feb 12, 2012

by Fluffdaddy

Shaocaholica posted:

Jeri Ryan seems to have aged well. Her character is basically how I feel about the show.

Also how did Picard recognize Seven so quickly? Is it a Borg thing? Because AFAIK they've never met and no way senile old man Picard is going to recognize rando other star fleet.

fans recognize both so why bother with having characters go through the process of getting to know one another. hell even hack writers know to have an episode where to established charavters butt heads throughout but find some common ground by the end

Robo Reagan
Feb 12, 2012

by Fluffdaddy

large_gourd posted:

i dunno why they even made this because they clearly aren't interested in continuing anything about the characters or world.

recognizable branding is easier to sell than a new IP

and outside of turbonerds the only thing the average person knows about star trek is KHAAAAN and picard memes so you can do whatever and only the people who watched TNG will notice or care. When this stuff happens I just think about it as a whole differwnt series that stole characters and props from the original

Robo Reagan
Feb 12, 2012

by Fluffdaddy

Captain Hygiene posted:

I forgot about those, I actually liked that bit (granted, it was another thing that felt like some other franchise, but I liked it on its own terms)

yeah thats the thing if this was some weird action sci fi that didnt have the star trek logo i think people would be a lot less critical of it. its dumb that they refuse to try new things without slapping it in some established franchise.

maybe were an echo chamber and the show is making a lot of money and im talking out of ky rear end tho

Robo Reagan
Feb 12, 2012

by Fluffdaddy
what octogenarian doesnt turn in to a badass on a murder crusade across the galaxy? its just part of getting old

Robo Reagan
Feb 12, 2012

by Fluffdaddy
clint eastwood is 5'0 and scared of brown people thats the opposite of badass

Robo Reagan
Feb 12, 2012

by Fluffdaddy
q morphs in to the bed and becomes the ultimate cuckold

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Robo Reagan
Feb 12, 2012