Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

large_gourd
Jan 17, 2020

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

Icochet posted:

So how decrepit is Picard in this? By my maths the guy playing him is 140 years old. Does he still look fuckin amazing in uniform?

he still looks fine but his voice is slow and very croaky most of the time. there's no avoiding he's a very old man.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

large_gourd
Jan 17, 2020

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

Automatic Slim posted:

I get why Patrick Stewart didn’t want to play the exact same Picard but couldn’t they have him somewhat recognizable?
Picard's arc in TNG was from reserved and closed to more open, sure, but give us some of that to watch in the new show.

The eye patch and bad French accent… oof.

yeah, this is really what made me decide not to watch this anymore.

sure, they've destroyed the whole spirit of star trek with the lack of thought put into the world-building, but i pretty much expected that

i didn't really expect picard to just be patrick stewart. even picard becoming more open with his crew by the end, he'd never go in for that french villain act thing, for example. patrick stewart would, of course, and that's who we're actually seeing here. it's not picard.

seven of nine wasn't seven of nine either. she's just some tough woman played by jeri ryan. could have been any character at all and you'd just need to substitute out the borg thing for whatever other motivation. no trace of her characterisation in voyager even if the actual actions themselves totally weren't out of character.

so i kind of knew I wouldn't get Star Trek, but i was hoping I'd at least get to see some returning characters I liked even if it wasn't in the best circumstances, but these aren't even those characters.

i dunno why they even made this because they clearly aren't interested in continuing anything about the characters or world.

large_gourd
Jan 17, 2020

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

Chomp8645 posted:

That's true. At the time I'm sure it was innocent. But if they made it today it would probably be construed as mocking/demonizing people with autism or something.

nah, that's what it actually was. not autism specifically, just mental disability. it's how they are written and how they are played.