Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Biohazard
Apr 17, 2002

Shaocaholica posted:

Was the E never fixed after Nemesis?

Pretty sure they haven't mentioned it. I'll bet it shows up at some point with like, laforge or someone in charge. maybe not this season, but if they keep going for sure.

Biohazard fucked around with this message at 23:39 on Feb 20, 2020

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Biohazard
Apr 17, 2002

Panzeh posted:

They didn't really have characters to play anyway, the only characters on TNG who got to do much character stuff were worf, picard, and data.

Michael Dorn may not be a great actor, but I still agree with him that a "captain worf" show could have worked.

Biohazard
Apr 17, 2002

oh but seriously I posted:

...ok, you're cool

I mean let’s be honest. No one on tng was really top tier actor material other than Patrick Stewart. But that’s not why you’re watching it. Later seasons where they gave worf more to do with the Klingon politics did allow he to be more complex and less cartoonish. I’ll admit that I’ve not seen much of deep space 9, but I’ve heard he was decent there as well.

Biohazard
Apr 17, 2002

The General posted:

Star Trek isn't really a family show unless you have a family of nerds I guess, but you could watch it with the family and be fairly sure you wouldn't have to see somebodies eye get plucked out.

TNG had that exploding guy, and Voyager had that episode where basically everybody bleeds from the eyes.

Edit: I have no doubts Picard would know who Seven is. It also wouldn't surprise me if they had met at some point.

I’ve always liked the red letter media read in Star Trek in that it’s basically a horror show in which you take people who are so advanced they’ve overcome racism, war, and everything else that makes humanity awful, and you put them in these horrific situations and see how they use their enlightenment to overcome it.

Picard just doesn’t seem to want to respect the universe it inhabits. There’s some decent ideas there, but it doesn’t feel like a star trek show, and Picard specifically doesn’t feel like Picard.

Biohazard
Apr 17, 2002

I finally sat down and finished it and oof. Not once did I feel like anyone from TNG got in character. And then they set up a big big emotional ark of Picard dying that, despite not working at all, the gently caress up by undoing it at the last second just so they can have a season 2. It was all just such lazy and lovely writing that maybe you could overlook more if it even felt like this was the same character. I really wanted to like it but gently caress. I’ve been going back and watching TNG and boy does Picard feel embarrassing in comparison.

I was going back and watching the red letter media guy’s reviews, and while they never reviewed the last 2 episodes, the accurately called that the romulans, who apparently are scattered all over and live in poverty after losing one planet, will show up with thousands of ships, even though just one ship could do the job, and that of course the star fleet would show up with their thousands of ships, all identical and super advanced of course. Then go back and watch when they needed to track romulans in TNG. They got a fleet together and had like, maybe 40 ships, and half of them were old lovely mothballed ships. Not only does that just make more sense, it’s more interesting in every way than “space battle chaossssssss!!!” gently caress you alex kurtzman.

Biohazard
Apr 17, 2002

Captain Hygiene posted:

Honestly I don't think think having the Romulans be a focus is a problem in itself. It shouldn't be that difficult to give them some development that would hold up for a short season, especially with the plot hook of their home having been destroyed. It just comes down to the writers' skills and focus again.

Agreed. Like take a second and look at TNG's major episodes and it's not hard. In TNG it's established that Spock is helping usher in a new era amongst the young people in the romulan empire, working towards unification. So you you write it as "ok, so spock worked on this and even tried to help save romulus as evidence in trek 2009. in the aftermath of that disaster and his disapearnce, compounded with the destruction of their home world, a faction of romunlans develops their own interpritation of the Vulcan's extreme logic obsession, but without guidance from Vulcans, they feel the logical step is to prevent artificial life from developing past the point it has, otherwise natural life could be wiped out. Starfleet enlists the help of picard to establish diplomatic relations with both the Romulan extremists and the newly established Artificial life colony (still banned in the aftermath of their dumb attack on mars) to avoid a war that he spent a career holding back"

Like that's not perfect by any means, but it took me all of 1 minute to come up with an outline that at least acknowledges past themes, events, and character, and still allows plenty of room to change things up in a more action oriented series since that's what they seem to want. It's not that hard, but the entire show reeked of Alex Kurtzman coming in with a checklist of poo poo he wanted in the show, and not giving a poo poo about how they were implemented.

I mean for fucks sake, even trek 2009 had some interesting and compelling reasons why the characters would be different than series people remembered.

Biohazard
Apr 17, 2002

Blistex posted:

OK, so your first problem is acknowledging anything JJ Abrams wrote.
Your second problem is thinking anything that Kurtzman thought up is salvageable.

I honestly don't take issue with the abrams movies becuase they don't pretend to be something they are not. They found a kinda clever way to wipe out the history without ruining what came before, so they could make a star trek movie that was more action oriented. It was exciting and fun, if dumb and not really much of a star trek story, but whatever, fun summer blockbuster.

Point is, you can change it up and do pure entertainment if what you write is at least interesting and well done. But if you're going to rely on pure nostalgia, you should at least be willing to accept what came before it. It's honestly the same problem (ok well one of many problems) that abrams ran into with the star wars sequels which is, if all you're going to do is rely on nostolgia, at least look at what the themes of those movies were and build on them. Even lucas realized the limitations of this with his prequels, and while they are kinda disasters in their own way, they at least had the balls to just do something totally different with the world that had been set up previously.

Biohazard
Apr 17, 2002

Going back and watching tng one after the other is kinda hilarious. With about 24 episodes a season, and every season being about a year, then each episode takes place roughly every 2 weeks. So every 2 weeks something loving awful happens to someone, or the whole ship, and at least a few people are going to die, probably in horrible ways. Why would anyone serve in starfleet, and more importantly, who thought it was a good idea to have children on board the USS You’re Gonna Die? Turns out Star Trek is a really dark comedy.

Biohazard
Apr 17, 2002

Breakfast All Day posted:

Yeah, RLM seizing on Picard's S1 treatment of Data as being proof "Picard hates Data" is strange, I don't know why they kept hammering that point in multiple vids. But what do you expect from someone whose favorite Trek show is Voyager. There's some subtext throughout the series of Picard being uncomfortable with Data because Data is eager to embrace things in search of refining his humanity (humor, willingness to embarrass himself, etc.) that Picard has sought to discard to refine his own -- at the same time Data excels at cognitive clarity and a form of stoicism that Picard envies. This is amplified by Data seeing Picard as a role model, which intersects with the Picard/children discomfort. This is maybe the one thing STP almost got right, in Data coming to terms with his mortality and death before Picard (who is clearly disturbed by his condition and struggles to communicate it to those around him, while Data can show both vulnerability and resoluteness to Picard in asking to end his life). But TNG is clear that by the late seasons Picard considers Data a friend of a similar tier to Riker, and perhaps is only closer to Crusher.

I agree, though I do think some of the issues with the TNG movies and then STP after is that they really only acknowledge picard's relationship with data. I agree that RLM might take the point a bit far, but there is something to the idea that Picard grew closer to all of his crew, not just Data. I mean that was kind of the point of the poker scene in the finale. But as RLM pointed out in one of the review episodes, you get to the movies and the producers basically went "ok, who are the most popular characters on the show? Data and Picard? Okay the movies are just going to be about them with the rest of the cast thrown in for fan service. I have heard that some of that had to do with Rick Berman seemingly hating women, but I'm sure there were plenty of people involved in those decisions. I mean honestly, can you think of 1 scene in the TNG movies in which any of the women did anything interesting? Or really any of the other characters?

Biohazard
Apr 17, 2002

Mulaney Power Move posted:

Picard gave Data guidance frequently enough, in Generations he even told him to stop crying.

Oh yeah. Couldn’t remember if that really happened or if that was a memory of my dad. He kinda looks like Picard.

Biohazard
Apr 17, 2002

Mulaney Power Move posted:

The writer of Nemesis was best friends with Spiner hence him being a big deal in that movie and watching Nemesis obviously was the biggest influence on the writers of The Picard Show

Yeah I think I remember reading that spiner also was pretty done with it all, as it required staying in decent shape all the time and for him, especially as he aged, more and more time in the makeup chair. I don’t think nemesis was necessarily supposed to be the last TNG movie, so I think he demanded they kill him off.

Biohazard
Apr 17, 2002

I think what’s more obvious in retrospect was how supremely low budget of a production this was, and how much they tried to cover that up instead of embracing it. Like they kept re-using the chateau set because they couldn’t afford a better set, despite the plot being about how happy Picard seemingly was to be back out in space. Asl RLM pointed out, they rendered 1 lovely starship model and couldn’t afford to model other ones. I’m sure they spent all their budget on Patrick Stewart. It lends to the theory that these shows are getting very low viewership, but CBS has too much invested in their lovely service to admit it.

Edit: Also, was it implied in any other show that Dr Soong had a real son? I found that infuriating, as it essentially rewrote a lot of the soong/data/lore relationship just so they could lazily get Brent spiner in there, and the show even acknowledges how lovely of a character it is.

Biohazard fucked around with this message at 15:41 on May 24, 2020

Biohazard
Apr 17, 2002

Applewhite posted:

All this talk about movie canon suddenly brought to mind yet another missed opportunity by ST:P.

While I generally completely ignore Star Trek: the Motion Picture in every way, ST:P's whole "omnicient artificial intelligence" plotline could have actually tied somewhat elegantly in with the race of "living machines" that built V'Ger with only the smallest amount of tweaking.

I don't understand how a show manages to fumble what should be easy and interesting concepts so utterly and completely.

I actually love Star Trek the motion picture. It’s not a good movie per se, but it is super weird, atmospheric, and had some great ideas like vger. It also did a better job than most of Star Trek at demonstrating that space is a dark, massive, horrific place that is just waiting to kill you in some awful way.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Biohazard
Apr 17, 2002

Statutory Ape posted:

has orville had a s3 yet

idk if ive even seen all of s2

i liek that show tho

still catching up myself, but I heard the other day that they were halfway through s3 production and had to halt cause of stupid covid. No idea when they'll start back up though.