Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Earwicker
Jan 6, 2003

im enjoying the show. i grew up watching TNG but dont consider myself a hardcore fan. to me it fits in pretty well with the vibe, my main complaint is that the Borg looked better with all their big clunky 90s cyberpunk poo poo

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Earwicker
Jan 6, 2003

BoldFrankensteinMir posted:

It is, sadly, totally realistic that they'd keep using them though. Auto accidents are one of the top ten causes of preventable death in America, but most Americans would rather die than stop driving cars.

if transporters had the same safety level as cars i would use them, no question

Earwicker
Jan 6, 2003

I've never heard of two drivers being mashed into a single person by a car crash either, but maybe...

i mean car accidents result in some really horrific poo poo. i still drive all the time because i dont have much choice but a transporter system, even if it had relatively the same level of fatalities as driving, would make things way easier. the risk of being mashed into another human sucks but not any more than the risk of being maimed or killed on the road which is something most of us just live with, seems like a better tradeoff

Earwicker fucked around with this message at 21:41 on Feb 12, 2020

Earwicker
Jan 6, 2003

These are all military officers who specifically signed on to the most famously dangerous flagship every built, it should also be mentioned. I really wonder how often Joe Shmoe the Federation civilian uses a teleporter. I doubt it's like Spaceballs and people use them to go to the bathroom.

in this new picard show people routinely just walk through a transporter to get from san francisco to paris and back or whatever, pretty sure civilians were doing so as well, maybe thats not the same as the kind that go from ship to ship or ship to planet but probably a similar if not identical technology

Earwicker
Jan 6, 2003

and its a fish