Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

piratepilates
Mar 28, 2004

So I will learn to live with it. Because I can live with it. I can live with it.

wooger posted:

That was a bad episode.

Seemed like they were going for comedy for much of it, not just the outfits, but also Patrick Stewart’s Walter Blunt character is leaking out.

Incredibly obvious blade runner ripoff when designing the Freecloud. But also reminded me a bit of the awful scenes from Star Wars episode 2 in the nightclub.

Such an odd balance between comedy, grotesque torture, and families split by drug addiction. I don't know what they are going for.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

piratepilates
Mar 28, 2004

So I will learn to live with it. Because I can live with it. I can live with it.

Shaocaholica posted:

Jeri Ryan seems to have aged well. Her character is basically how I feel about the show.

Also how did Picard recognize Seven so quickly? Is it a Borg thing? Because AFAIK they've never met and no way senile old man Picard is going to recognize rando other star fleet.

because there are only 12 people in the entire universe.

The more serious answer is that Voyager probably received huge fanfare when it came back to the alpha quadrant, and seven of nine was probably a figure everyone at starfleet was interested in -- a longtime drone who gets de-assimilated and works with a starfleet vessel doing great work. The other former drone working in the top ranks of Starfleet probably wanted to meet her at least a few times.

piratepilates
Mar 28, 2004

I genuinely like how star trek prints this very nice cheery optimistic view of the future where everyone lives in peace and harmony and there's no bigotry or conflict, and oh yeah

the only catch is that you the viewer will die in the fiery blaze of a nuclear warhead, after you live through the bell riots of course. You and everyone you know will surely perish in the forthcoming nuclear holocaust, but some day far in the future there will be no racism.

There will be a utopia to look forward to, but you will not be a part of it, you live in the dumb people time when everyone killed each other.

piratepilates
Mar 28, 2004

Ralph Crammed In posted:

They smoke and drink now, this ain't your daddy's Star Trek.

Aren't androids resistant to radiation anyway? Wasn't there a bunch of times they sent Data to do something involving lethal amounts of radiation? Good work Romulan CIA

Well we don't want this dangerous android with superhuman strength to escape, better slowly kill it with radiation.

Oh no she escape through the flimsy wooden floor, whatever will we do*

* yes I know narek may have let her escape on purpose because he loves her, the radiation is still a very odd way to deal with this situation

piratepilates
Mar 28, 2004

Captain Hygiene posted:

Honestly I've been wondering about the timing on that but haven't rewatched anything to clarify it. Was the synth hate a longer term thing or was it just a more recent development in that group, after the Mars incident hosed things up for everyone?

From memory alpha:

quote:

The Zhat Vash was said to be an ancient and secret Romulan cabal. Allegedly thousands upon thousands of years old, it was said to predate the Tal Shiar, which functioned merely as a mask for the Zhat Vash. "Zhat vash" was also a term sometimes used to refer to the dead, the only reliable keepers of secrets. (PIC: "Maps and Legends")

Allegedly, the Zhat Vash operated without regard for treaty or jurisdiction, not just on Romulan worlds, but also in the Klingon Empire, the Gorn Hegemony, and even the Federation. (PIC: "Maps and Legends")

Its sole purpose was claimed to be to keep a secret so profound and terrible that just learning it can break a person's mind. When she was a Tal Shiar recruit, Laris heard a drunk handler claim to her that the organization was motivated by hate, fear and pure unassuageable loathing for artificial intelligence, including androids, AIs, and other forms of synthetic life, which they attempted to seek out and destroy. (PIC: "Maps and Legends")

The story of the "Zhat Vash" was sometimes told to frighten Tal Shiar recruits, with its alleged motives known to very few; Zhaban was largely skeptical of their existence and equated it to stories of "boogeymen". In 2399, former operative Laris related the rumors about the Zhat Vash to retired Admiral Jean-Luc Picard; they came to believe that the Zhat Vash were likely behind the attacks on Dahj Asha on Earth. (PIC: "Maps and Legends")

Now granted the whole thing could turn out to be far different in the next 3 episodes, especially since the source of most of this is the romulan housekeeper who overheard this from a drunk person.

piratepilates
Mar 28, 2004

The thing I wonder about is how much of the mars 9/11 / romulan refugee crisis / massive conspiracy plot is coming from Kurtzman+co, and how much is Chabon.

The writing credits for the episodes that have aired so far have been:

1.: Teleplay by: Akiva Goldsman and James Duff, Story by: Akiva Goldsman and Michael Chabon and Kirsten Beyer and Alex Kurtzman and James Duff

2. Michael Chabon and Akiva Goldsman

3. Michael Chabon and James Duff

4. Michael Chabon

5. Kirsten Beyer

6. Nick Zayas

Michael Chabon has the most writing credits, but the weird thing is the pilot has the most credits, the only split teleplay/story credits (on wikipedia), and the only one with Alex Kurtzman (Akiva Goldsman also has episode 2, and he's Kurtzman's partner in crime).

piratepilates
Mar 28, 2004

DancingShade posted:

If any of the writers played Star Trek Online (doubtful) they might have taken the plot of the Tal Shiar being Iconian puppets essentially undermining both their own Empire and the quadrant as a whole to soften everyone up and make way for a massive Iconian invasion force building up inside an extra-galactic dyson sphere. A fleet so large it actually blocked out the sun from within the dyson sphere itself.

That being said it's more likely everything narrative related in Picard is simply a cobbled together amateur rush hour job with a fraction of the planned budget and wholly unrelated to other works they could have drawn from.

christ that sounds even worse than the whole borg-romulan-synthetic theories everyone else comes up with :(

piratepilates
Mar 28, 2004

Can't wait for The Seventy Five Year Mission to come out and give us all the juicy dirt of what happened during the production of these shitshows*

* In terms of writers being fired and directions being changed, not necessarily a value judgement

piratepilates
Mar 28, 2004

piratepilates posted:

Can't wait for The Seventy Five Year Mission to come out and give us all the juicy dirt of what happened during the production of these shitshows*

* In terms of writers being fired and directions being changed, not necessarily a value judgement

Remember when that black writer got fired from disco for using the n word while telling a story in the writers room about a racist calling him the n word.

piratepilates
Mar 28, 2004

Origami Dali posted:

I want a Trek with a crew of nothing but Barclays

Ah like Multiplicity, that would be pretty great too, Dwight Schultz can pull off comedic acting well.

piratepilates
Mar 28, 2004

Applewhite posted:

Wait what happened to the Orville?

Season 2 was a wrap, season 3 comes out some time far in the future.

piratepilates
Mar 28, 2004

Bonzo posted:

I just want to know why they had to use strange fonts for subtitles. It's like when someone would get all fancy with their Geocities page and tell you download their special font so you can fully enjoy the site.

Yes these are those people, it has been like 20 years and those people designing Geocities sites work in television now.

piratepilates
Mar 28, 2004

Rutibex posted:

the original series is best for this. god bless the 1960s

man I remember I saw that episode when I was like 11 and it made me wonder why women in the 60s had very pointy breasts but somehow by the 90s they had all morphed to be round

piratepilates
Mar 28, 2004

Lister posted:

... Disco season 2... they were wondering what the deal with New Eden was and thought it might have been to act as a base of operations against Control. But the show directly stated that it was Burham's mom just testing to see if history could be changed by using time travel. They also seemed to think it was Michael in the Red Angel suit the whole time, when she only was in it for the red beacons and every other time was her mom.

what the gently caress is going on here?

piratepilates
Mar 28, 2004

It's like that episode with the hobo riker whose entire federation was lost to the Borg. His timeline was always running and being all sad, and the timeline that was all normal was doing its own thing. They just happened to interact with each other in one episode.

The TV show Romulus blows up, the nero fella gets sucked in to a different parallel timeline, and screws up everything there. The 2009 movie timeline was already running alongside everything and developing in its own way, and just due to luck, the bad guy from another timeline happened to fall in to his.

piratepilates
Mar 28, 2004

doctorfrog posted:

More q+a with Michael Chabon. I am not impressed with his work on this show, if I'm understanding which bits of it are his, but he could easily crawl into a hole and retweet congratulatory pap instead of answer any questions, so at least he's done that. I just bolded the stuff I thought was dumb or answered burning questions I had.

stolen from reddit

boy it's a real shame this stuff didn't make it in to the show, guess there was no time. nothing they could do, had to cut out all the interesting parts, drat.

piratepilates
Mar 28, 2004

Hyrax Attack! posted:

And that was the best episode!

They should have had the whole series be “Picard visits old friends”
Ep 1: Checking in with engineering professor O’Brien at an Irish pub
Ep 2: visiting Dr Crusher on the moon
Ep 3: doing a favor for Starfleet by dropping by DS9 to check on something

And so on, final shot Picard enjoys wine at his vineyard with his good dog

I mean that's effectively All Good Things, that's what they did in the TNG finale.

And you know what? It was the best episode(s) of Star Trek they made 🤔

piratepilates
Mar 28, 2004

w0o0o0o posted:

IIRC he had some kind of degenerative dementia in the TNG finale, but that got retconned into "brain abnormality" for picard.

Irumodic Syndrome

piratepilates
Mar 28, 2004

Bonzo posted:

Ok seriously, what is your actual job when you have a Producer credit? Or am I just looking at fancy titles to justify pay grades or levels of financial investments?

I made a post in one of the other threads about what each credit means https://forums.somethingawful.com/showthread.php?threadid=3911697&userid=51969&perpage=40&pagenumber=2#post502888428

the short answer is that exec producer = makes big boy decisions and approval/vetoes, co-exec producers may run the writers room, supervising, associate, and consulting producers are likely writers who get given a producer credit.

lots of exec producers because there's a lot of people who can swing that credit (patrick stewart, roddenberry descendants, people who run other star trek shows) and get a piece of the pie.

piratepilates
Mar 28, 2004

evilmiera posted:

I know I mention it every other time I post about Star Trek, but with quarantine going on I decided to watch The Orville again in preparation for Season 3, and its so refreshing to not only have a thoughtful show again but to actually be able to laugh at the jokes. Picard and humor just did not mix.

:confused: did Picard have humour elements? I don't remember that at all.

piratepilates fucked around with this message at 23:47 on Apr 28, 2020

piratepilates
Mar 28, 2004

Tip posted:

You don't remember the heist episode where Picard pretends to be a French pirate?

huh you're right come to think of it, I honestly just felt so lovely after that episode that I forgot they were trying to be funny.

piratepilates
Mar 28, 2004

infernal machines posted:

Didn't you read Michael Chabon's snarky explanation about how actually they were all different classes of ships because they had different loadouts, a thing that was not in any way visible on screen and made no difference whatsoever to the story?

no and you can't make me

piratepilates
Mar 28, 2004

I'm actually really angry that you did this. I really didn't want to read this, you've ruined my day, and even worse -- you ruined the hit star trek tv show Star Trek: Picard for me

piratepilates
Mar 28, 2004

who do you guys think is going to be the first tng regular to drop dead in real life?

piratepilates
Mar 28, 2004

Prism Mirror Lens posted:

Hey does Trek ever show a humanoid and a non-humanoid in a romantic relationship?

Tam Elbrun and Tin Man in the episode Tin Man

edit: artist's interpretation of the relationship between those two when the cameras stopped rolling:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=06BFsQ_28Co

piratepilates fucked around with this message at 17:22 on May 4, 2020

piratepilates
Mar 28, 2004

Frog Act posted:

I've never heard of mr plinkett or watched anything from RLM but, despite the goofy voice, it's really heartening to see other people outside of these forums who found nutrek totally intolerable. i couldn't get through picard and gave up after three episodes of romulan kung fu

ed: man this video is really good, I love the way he uses clips from voyager and other shows to really contrast the awfulness of the new shows. but what really gets me are these storyboards. it could have been interesting!

they reached their internet fame off of similar reviews of the star wars prequels, you should check those out if you like this.

they also have a bunch more star trek reviews in the same vein, I think of all the tng movies? and they have a more casual, less teardown-y review of the tos motion picture. maybe a few other reviews of the older star trek movies in there?

also like 3 or 4 reviews of star trek disco.

basically you have a lot of content ahead of you :shrug:

piratepilates
Mar 28, 2004

Panzeh posted:

The two reasonable romulan characters ask why Picard doesn't get his old adventuring buddies back and the line he uses to justify it is so bizarre that i don't know why they didn't cut this out because lampshading it made it even worse. "Oh, i don't want to ask my old friends to risk their lives for me, because they would. Welp, time to ask some strangers to risk their lives for me instead." It wouldn't have made much of a difference to have established characters because the plot and pacing is really dumb, though.

time to guilt trip and coerce:
- a random ex-officer who idolizes me
- a drunken train wreck of an addict whose life I seem to have destroyed
- an orphan boy who I "went to the store for cigarettes" to for 15 years
- just a scientist, don't have much about Jurati

in to joining me for this ragtag adventure about which I have almost no information, hope no one dies or anything!

piratepilates
Mar 28, 2004

Origami Dali posted:

Shooting on film, converting it all to tape, and doing the final edit from the taped footage is the dumbest process. I get it, it streamlined editing for shows that needed a fast turnover, and editing film was far more laborious and costly. And shows were only expected to ever be seen on low res televisions anyway, so sure why not? But because of it being so shortsighted, it pretty much hosed a lot of shows from ever seeing the light of day in their original 35mm quality due to the insane cost to scan the film and re-edit everything, if the film still exists at all. The first show to ever use that process was the 80's Twilight Zone revival, and they just tossed out the film reels after they converted to tape for editing, so it will always look like rear end. So stupid.

it is in fact not the dumbest process.

that would be bbc's policy to wipe and re-use videotape masters and old footage in the archives for programs that had already been broadcast. a lot of early doctor who episodes are outright missing, and some have only been hobbled together from random sources (transfers to film, broadcasters from other countries, people at home who just happened to record the episode when it aired).

I guess back then it was just unfathomable that people would want to see these things again in the future. there was such a culture of showing tv once (often just broadcast live) and that's it, it's like a play, once it's done it's over and you move on to something else.

either no one considered the future, or didn't care to consider the future, that we are in where we have home video in different formats, super high quality 4k media accessible to everyone, on demand streaming for shows going back decades, etc.

piratepilates
Mar 28, 2004

Statutory Ape posted:

if you bring your kids to work and work has photon torpedos idk what to tell you

HOT TAKE: voyager did the "family onboard a spaceship" part better than tng, mostly because there's very few kids on board the dangerous spaceship, and the kids that are on-board were forced in to it by circumstance rather than a parent who thought this was a good idea.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

piratepilates
Mar 28, 2004

Drink-Mix Man posted:

Hot take: they should put kids back in Star Trek again. They were never my favorite thing in the old shows, but I have to admit that having a few people have their families around definitely served in not letting the setting become overly militaristic.

I think the emotional backbone of star trek is a split between a workplace sitcom and a family sitcom. tos was more workplace than family, tng and ds9 had a lot more family stuff in there.

if you take out those elements you're just left with plain sci-fi concepts, which isn't bad, but doesn't engage the viewer on the same level as it would if you care for the characters experiencing them. bring back kids!