Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

pyrotek
May 21, 2004

Tighclops posted:

Everybody's just going to cream themselves over seeing Riker and Troi again regardless of how depressing it ultimately was

Depressing that it was the only decent character interaction we've had in seven episodes?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

pyrotek
May 21, 2004

Applewhite posted:

Romulan Spy: "Computer, I need you to identify a planet with two red moons and constant electrical storms."

Computer: "There are... twelve... million matches."

I don't understand what makes them think there are constant electrical storms. Isn't she just having one dream about one specific time? What if it was just a stormy night?

pyrotek
May 21, 2004

I agree, this one was OK. If it were like episode 4 instead of 8, I'd probably think we were headed for something decent.

pyrotek
May 21, 2004

Rutibex posted:

so there is no way Patrick Stewart survives long enough for the pandemic crisis to be over and shoot a second season of this show

This show needs to die, not Stewart

pyrotek
May 21, 2004

I bet they'll do HD/4K versions within a few years, they'll just be AI upscales rather than remasters. Better than nothing.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

pyrotek
May 21, 2004

Origami Dali posted:

Shooting on film, converting it all to tape, and doing the final edit from the taped footage is the dumbest process. I get it, it streamlined editing for shows that needed a fast turnover, and editing film was far more laborious and costly. And shows were only expected to ever be seen on low res televisions anyway, so sure why not? But because of it being so shortsighted, it pretty much hosed a lot of shows from ever seeing the light of day in their original 35mm quality due to the insane cost to scan the film and re-edit everything, if the film still exists at all. The first show to ever use that process was the 80's Twilight Zone revival, and they just tossed out the film reels after they converted to tape for editing, so it will always look like rear end. So stupid.

Hypothetically, if they decided to finish everything on film, the extra cost would have had to come from other places in production, leading to far less ambitious shows. Even then, the effects would have been finished at 80s-90s TV picture quality, meaning at best we would have really sharp picture with crappy effects and/or blurrier shots every time they had to composite the image like in TOS.

I think it is much more likely that they would have chosen to shoot on tape to begin with rather than go through that, and then it would look even worse than it does now.