Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Lord Frankenstyle
Dec 3, 2005

Mmmm,
You smell like Lysol Wipes.
I heard it was bad because people in it don't get along all the time and hug out their problems and play grab rear end and all the stuff that made TNG boring poo poo, so it's probably really good. But season one of Discovery was best Star Trek and season two was worst Star Trek, so I probably won't watch it because CBS is schizophrenic.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Lord Frankenstyle
Dec 3, 2005

Mmmm,
Its mildly entertaining as long as you don't spend two seconds thinking about it and get hung up on how dumb it is, which means it's exactly as kinda okay as all other Star Treks. Except for Voyager which is so bad that it makes you dumber if you're just sitting in a room near a box of unplayed VHS tapes of that poo poo.

Also a happy future with no internal conflict isn't an interesting and challenging world to try and write stories in. It's just a boring world to make stories in.

Lord Frankenstyle
Dec 3, 2005

Mmmm,
Yeah. Baby Yoda takes my point beyond objectively correct and just makes it seem cruel.

Lord Frankenstyle
Dec 3, 2005

Mmmm,
Picard has Alzheimer's and is living out his last days in a rest home full of 12' X 12' personal holodecks down at the senior citizen disposal plant.

It's really Star Trek in it's purest form.

Lord Frankenstyle
Dec 3, 2005

Mmmm,

Applewhite posted:

Disco is only better than Picard because of Tilly and she pretty much carries the entire show for me.

Though I'll admit I haven't seen the latest season so maybe it got better.

I felt the same way about her/the show, but holy poo poo she just becomes dumb and annoying in the second season and makes it unwatchable. I liked that season one at least made the effort to mix it up a bit and take some chances. It's funny how season two starts bowing to fan pressure to be more like TNG, and that's exactly why the whole things falls to poo poo.

Lord Frankenstyle
Dec 3, 2005

Mmmm,

hemale in pain posted:

I like Tilly and I like the idea of people in a perfect world who are flawed.

Exactly. In season one she's a Barkley-esque frumpy tryhard that's just goofy and likeable enough to root for in small doses. In season two she's like Wesley with a hint of brain damage who smokes too much meth to realize how much the universe hates her while she strolls into every scene and starts scratching her fingernails on a chalkboard.

Lord Frankenstyle
Dec 3, 2005

Mmmm,
I grew up watching all the Star Treks, and acting like there's a grand biblical formula for what makes a Star Trek is dumb. Discovery wasn't exactly great in season one (S2 is poo poo), but good for them for "exploring the space" or whatever. I like seeing someone else's perspective on the old boring routine. It's like a band doing a cover song. If you're just gonna slavishly impersonate the original formula, why bother? You need to filter that poo poo through your own head and show how the song is processed through your own impressions. It's why Devo's Satisfaction, Fear's We Gotta get Outta This Place, or Body Count's Institutionalized are great songs in and of themselves.

That all said, after six episodes ST Picard is loving terrible. Not because "it doesn't Star Trek right", or because "That's not MY John Luc Picard". It's just amazingly stupid and poorly made. I mean it's like CBS needs to pay me for a couple months of Prime to make up for wasting my time bad. The best thing I can say about it is that I feel slightly less moronic for actually sitting through four seasons of The Expanse now.

Lord Frankenstyle
Dec 3, 2005

Mmmm,
I dunno. I understand that when you reach a certain age living to see the next sunrise gets more expensive with every dawn you greet, but as bad as the last few episodes are I'm feeling like Patrick should maybe accept his fate with more dignity.

Lord Frankenstyle
Dec 3, 2005

Mmmm,

Prism Mirror Lens posted:

Is redlettermedia really the best review of this show?

Sadly, probably. But yeah, RLM has become so high on sniffing their own farts that it's become kind of awkward watching them pretend to be totally baffled by plot points that are spelled out clearly just because they don't like a show. I mean yeah, the stuff they're reviewing may be terrible like Picard, but goddamn watching them be all like "But what's up with that???" over stuff that's on screen (if clear yet goofy), but too dumb to be confusing gets pretty awkward. They really don't deserve fans or whatever. They pretty much stopped trying two years ago.

I guess it goes to your head when you start making friends of Hollywood powerhouses like Max Landis and the Home Alone guy.

Lord Frankenstyle
Dec 3, 2005

Mmmm,

Dr. Fishopolis posted:

i am just so darn irritated that mike stoklasa doesn't like the thing I like i darn near threw my funkopop

Don't get all protective of your heroes. I'm not saying they're usually wrong. I'm saying they've become really half assed about the reasoning that forms their opinions. They used to make cogent points, but have kind of fallen back on this lazy "It's bad cause I don't get it" schtick that's kinda awkward when the poo poo they pretend they "don't get" is pretty obvious and basic. They've gotten lazier than the poo poo they live to bitch about.

Lord Frankenstyle
Dec 3, 2005

Mmmm,

Olewithmilk posted:

I'm going to download Star Trek Online as something to play during the quarantine, is this a bad idea?

STO's evolution matches seamlessly with the shows. As soon as Voyager became a thing it all turned to poo poo.

Lord Frankenstyle
Dec 3, 2005

Mmmm,

wesleywillis posted:

There should be a show called Star Trek: Kirk.

It should be about him...

drowning green skinned Orion chicks in his swimming pool. Because why the gently caress not?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Lord Frankenstyle
Dec 3, 2005

Mmmm,

doctorfrog posted:

I didn't hate Enterprise, but I did hate Archer.

I kinda thought Enterprise was mostly okay, but that's largely because I honestly thought they intentionally wrote Archer as an incompetent gently caress-up that stumbled through his career on nothing but blind stupid luck. The show works fine when you think it's basically The Office in space.