Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Son of Rodney
Feb 22, 2006

ohmygodohmygodohmygod

I watched TNG for the first time a while back and I finally understood the hype for picard as captain. He was a really cool dude in that series. The rest ist just kind of bad though.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Son of Rodney
Feb 22, 2006

ohmygodohmygodohmygod

Bardeh posted:

Why can't they just make another TNG or Voyager type series, with planet/aliens of the week? That's all I want from Star Trek

Im currently almost done with voyager and a ST series with modern production values would own.

Son of Rodney
Feb 22, 2006

ohmygodohmygodohmygod

gary oldmans diary posted:

he always stuck up for the junior-grade officers
but sometimes didnt stick up for entire planets because the prime directive says its better to let them die or be enslaved than interfere
i wont put picard and sisko in opposition

As a Sci fi nerd this is a topic that gets discussed quite frequently. The best argument for the prime directive is that you never know the consequences of your actions and you take away the self determination of an entire species. The culture book series is in large parts about the consequences of highly advanced species meddling with lesser species and it's not always a positive outcome, even with literal higher dimension super computers handling it.

Imho it's propably better than every captain using his own personal views to change the development of entire cultures.

Many serious words about star trek up in here.

Son of Rodney
Feb 22, 2006

ohmygodohmygodohmygod

gbs but from 2004 posted:

Already been said, but the Orville is what you’re looking for

Yeah thanks for the tip, I'm gonna check it out soon!

Son of Rodney
Feb 22, 2006

ohmygodohmygodohmygod

gbs but from 2004 posted:

Not to keep banging the Orville drum and turn this into the Orville thread but you really should, it’s almost a different show from the first few eps by the end of season 1. It’s the best Star Trek

I started the Orville yesterday and watched 2 seasons. Seth McFarlane is someone whos humor always skirts that line between funny and obnoxious with me, but I was really pleasantly surprised at how not too over the top silly it was. If it only gets better then I guess I'm gonna like the rest a lot. Tha ms for recommendation.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Son of Rodney
Feb 22, 2006

ohmygodohmygodohmygod

Tin Can Hit Man posted:

I'm still not too crazy about him, but the rest of the cast had me sold on it. I was genuinely -- and pleasantly -- surprised at some of the more unexpected character developments and plots.

Imho in all the movies where he acts he seems too focused on being a really cool guy who is also very funny. He has some minor faults but ultimately comes out on top without ever really doing too much wrong.

At least that's my perception after watching that western of his and the first few episodes of this.