Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

FriedMyBrain
Dec 31, 2019

by Cyrano4747
The nominations for the Razzies have been announced and here are the picks.

40th Annual Golden Raspberry (Razzie®) Award Nominations

WORST PICTURE
Cats
The Fanatic
The Haunting of Sharon Tate
A Madea Family Funeral
Rambo: Last Blood

WORST ACTOR
James Franco / Zeroville
David Harbour / Hellboy (2019)
Matthew McConaughey / Serenity
Sylvester Stallone / Rambo: Last Blood
John Travolta / The Fanatic & Trading Paint

WORST ACTRESS
Hilary Duff / The Haunting of Sharon Tate
Anne Hathaway / The Hustle & Serenity
Francesca Hayward / Cats
Tyler Perry (As Medea) A Madea Family Funeral
Rebel Wilson / The Hustle

WORST SUPPORTING ACTRESS
Jessica Chastain / Dark Phoenix
Cassi Davis / A Madea Family Funeral
Judi Dench / Cats
Fenessa Pineda / Rambo: First Blood
Rebel Wilson / Cats

WORST SUPPORTING ACTOR
James Corden / Cats
Tyler Perry / A Madea Family Funeral (as “Joe”)
Tyler Perry / A Madea Family Funeral (as "Uncle Heathrow")
Seth Rogan / Zeroville
Bruce Willis / Glass

WORST SCREEN COMBO
Any Two Half-Feline/Half-Human Hairballs / Cats
Jason Derulo & His CGI-Neutered “Bulge” / Cats
Tyler Perry & Tyler Perry (or Tyler Perry) A Madea Family Funeral
Sylvester Stallone & His Impotent Rage / Rambo: Last Blood
John Travolta & Any Screenplay He Accepts

WORST DIRECTOR
Fred Durst / The Fanatic
James Franco / Zeroville
Adrian Grunberg / Rambo: Last Blood
Tom Hooper / Cats
Neil Marshall / Hellboy (2019)

WORST SCREENPLAY
Cats / Screenplay by Lee Hall and Tom Hooper
The Haunting of Sharon Tate / Written by Danial Farrands
Hellboy (2019) Screenplay by Andrew Cosby
A Madea Family Funeral / Written by Tyler Perry
Rambo: Last Blood / Screenplay by Matthew Cirulnick and Sylvester Stallone

WORST REMAKE, RIP-OFF or SEQUEL
Dark Phoenix
Godzilla, King of the Monsters
Hellboy (2019)
A Madea Family Funeral

WORST RECKLESS DISREGARD for HUMAN LIFE and PUBLIC PROPERTY
(New Category for 2019)
Dragged Across Concrete
The Haunting of Sharon Tate
Hellboy (2019)
Joker

RAZZIE® REDEEMER AWARD
Eddie Murphy / Dolemite Is My Name
Keanu Reeves / John Wick 3 & Toy Story 4
Adam Sandler / Uncut Gems
Jennifer Lopez / Hustlers
Will Smith / Aladdin

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Ccs
Feb 25, 2011

Even though Cats is probably the best of those movies I really hope it wins to increase its legend.

Zogo
Jul 29, 2003

I wonder when it'll be held. I heard it was going to be televised this year for the first time. This being the fortieth year.

Homeybeef
May 23, 2008
Keanu for the RAZZIE® REDEEMER AWARD seems odd since everyone has accepted how great Keanu can be for at least the last few years.

Other than that, this is the first time in a while the Razzies hasn't just felt like the "Popular Movies We Don't Like Awards"

Bogus Adventure
Jan 11, 2017

More like "Bulges Adventure"
It's kind of hosed up that Frankie Hayward got nominated for Worst Actress. It's not her fault that Tom Hooper is insane. She did the best she could under the circumstances.

Ignis
Mar 31, 2011

I take it you don't want my autograph, then.

Breakthrough was robbed. Specifically, the first doctor guy who was also in Ford V Ferrari

Teenage Fansub
Jan 28, 2006

Velvet Buzzsaw should've made it.

Al Cu Ad Solte
Nov 30, 2005
Searching for
a righteous cause
Jennifer Lopez and Keanu Reeves needed to be redeemed for something? :confused: Also I had no idea Fred Durst directed a movie. Trent Reznor was right, that dude loving sucks.

Teenage Fansub
Jan 28, 2006

Al Cu Ad Solte posted:

I had no idea Fred Durst directed a movie.

It's his third. He started with an Ice Cube family comedy, of all things.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0ls_1-UQVO4

CelticPredator
Oct 11, 2013
🍀👽🆚🪖🏋

Teenage Fansub posted:

Velvet Buzzsaw should've made it.

gently caress no

Kangra
May 7, 2012

Wait, Will Smith in Aladdin is a 'redeeming' performance?

Lurdiak
Feb 26, 2006

I believe in a universe that doesn't care, and people that do.

Al Cu Ad Solte posted:

Jennifer Lopez and Keanu Reeves needed to be redeemed for something? :confused:

I mean, Keanu did star in the Matrix sequels. And Jennifer Lopez did Gigli.

TrixRabbi
Aug 20, 2010

Time for a little robot chauvinism!

Wow, they never get tired of that Tyler Perry for Worst Actress joke, do they?

Pirate Jet
May 2, 2010

TrixRabbi posted:

Wow, they never get tired of that Tyler Perry for Worst Actress joke, do they?

You could argue the Razzies were the first comedians to tell the “I identify as an attack helicopter” joke fifty times.

Basebf555
Feb 29, 2008

The greatest sensual pleasure there is is to know the desires of another!

Fun Shoe
The only Keanu performance that drew actual mocking and derision was Dracula, and that was almost 30 years ago. The Matrix sequels weren't well received but it had nothing to do with Keanu's performance.

I dunno, the guy has been consistently good but hasn't had a lot of opportunities for award-worthy work, I'm not sure how that makes him someone that needs to be "redeemed". And it's not like JW3 or Toy Story are the type of performances that are putting him on people's awards radar going forward, they're just good movies. And he's good in them, as per usual for Keanu. It's been this way for multiple decades.

TrixRabbi
Aug 20, 2010

I'll even go a step further and say they need to lay off Tyler Perry altogether. Dude makes films for Black audiences and has found a way to directly bypass mainstream white Hollywood to keep putting out successful work for decades now.

Pirate Jet
May 2, 2010
Keanu is, like most actors, good at a particular kind of role and not so good in others, and it took John Wick for people to realize “oh, maybe we should have this guy just be the gritty stern cool guy all the time.”

He’s great as a villain in Man of Tai Chi, and I will allow him 1 (one) Bill and Ted 3 because he did it when he was young.

TrixRabbi posted:

I'll even go a step further and say they need to lay off Tyler Perry altogether. Dude makes films for Black audiences and has found a way to directly bypass mainstream white Hollywood to keep putting out successful work for decades now.

I haven’t seen any Tyler Perry movies so I can’t speak to their quality but I seriously doubt any of them are bad enough to wind up on a worst of the year lost alongside, like, Cats.

Pirate Jet fucked around with this message at 17:51 on Feb 10, 2020

Macdeo Lurjtux
Jul 5, 2011

BRRREADSTOOORRM!

Basebf555 posted:

The only Keanu performance that drew actual mocking and derision was Dracula, and that was almost 30 years ago. The Matrix sequels weren't well received but it had nothing to do with Keanu's performance.

I dunno, the guy has been consistently good but hasn't had a lot of opportunities for award-worthy work, I'm not sure how that makes him someone that needs to be "redeemed". And it's not like JW3 or Toy Story are the type of performances that are putting him on people's awards radar going forward, they're just good movies. And he's good in them, as per usual for Keanu. It's been this way for multiple decades.

He got a lot of poo poo for Much Ado About Nothing as well.

TrixRabbi
Aug 20, 2010

Keanu is one of those actors, like Nicolas Cage or Shelley Duvall, who don't adhere to standards of naturalism. They're offbeat and make unexpected decisions but carry a powerful charisma about them that gives them starpower. When directors don't know how to use them, they stick out and clash with the film. But when directors know what they're doing, they shine brilliantly in ways only they can.

So with Keanu, he appears wooden and like he "can't act" in certain films. But he's perfect in The Matrix. He's perfect in a film like A Scanner Darkly. And he does have way more range than he gets credit for, it's just that range is on a different wavelength than what we've been conditioned to think of as "good" acting.

DOPE FIEND KILLA G
Jun 4, 2011

TrixRabbi posted:

i agree that Tyler Perry's filmography is above criticism because he's black.

TrixRabbi
Aug 20, 2010

Implying the Razzies constitute criticism.

mycot
Oct 23, 2014

"It's okay. There are other Terminators! Just give us this one!"
Hell Gem
I've never heard of The Fanatic until now and I'm grateful because it sounds completely wild. It feels like one of the fake movies in Tropic Thunder.

Gargamel Gibson
Apr 24, 2014
The Razzies is some lazy hack poo poo.

Basebf555
Feb 29, 2008

The greatest sensual pleasure there is is to know the desires of another!

Fun Shoe

mycot posted:

I've never heard of The Fanatic until now and I'm grateful because it sounds completely wild. It feels like one of the fake movies in Tropic Thunder.

Gotti had the same quality where Travolta is trying super hard to put himself back on the map and it just doesn't work because it comes off as forced, and even if he was good it might be hard to tell because the production values surrounding him are laughable.

Groovelord Neato
Dec 6, 2014

Gotti is way worse than the Fanatic imo.

TheOmegaWalrus
Feb 3, 2007

by Hand Knit
Dragged Across Concrete deserves all of the Razzies for being regressive, racist, and above all else really loving boring.

YeahTubaMike
Mar 24, 2005

*hic* Gotta finish thish . . .
Doctor Rope
Francesca Hayward and Tom Hooper better win :colbert:

Also Tyler Perry is complete trash.

Ghost Leviathan
Mar 2, 2017

Exploration is ill-advised.
From what I gather a lot of black people hate Tyler Perry, but his movies just keep making money because they're the only thing that acknowledges that middle-class black people exist.

SCheeseman
Apr 23, 2003

Gargamel Gibson posted:

The Razzies is some lazy hack poo poo.

Maxwell Lord
Dec 12, 2008

I am drowning.
There is no sign of land.
You are coming down with me, hand in unlovable hand.

And I hope you die.

I hope we both die.

:smith:

Grimey Drawer

YeahTubaMike posted:

Francesca Hayward and Tom Hooper better win :colbert:

Also Tyler Perry is complete trash.

Hooper sure, but I thought Francesca Hayward did fine. She was there to dance and look innocent and for some reason they also gave her a song number.

YeahTubaMike
Mar 24, 2005

*hic* Gotta finish thish . . .
Doctor Rope
Honestly, though I think Francesca Hayward did a bad job, I think that Tom Hooper overdirected her into being insufferable and stupid.

So yeah, you might be right.

General Dog
Apr 26, 2008

Everybody's working for the weekend
I didn't think there was a bad performance in Cats other than Rebel Wilson and James Corden, and even those two gave the performance you're looking for when you cast Rebel Wilson and James Corden.

Owlofcreamcheese
May 22, 2005
Probation
Can't post for 9 years!
Buglord

General Dog posted:

I didn't think there was a bad performance in Cats other than Rebel Wilson and James Corden, and even those two gave the performance you're looking for when you cast Rebel Wilson and James Corden.

I mean, what even is a good or bad performance in a movie like that? Is Ian McKellen suddenly saying "yams yams yams yams" good or bad acting? is Idris Elba saying "MAgIC" or "MCavITY" or "ME-OW" as he disappears good or bad acting?

It feels impossible to say.

caligulamprey
Jan 23, 2007

It never stops.

Owlofcreamcheese posted:

I mean, what even is a good or bad performance in a movie like that?
Skimbleshanks.

Ogmius815
Aug 25, 2005
centrism is a hell of a drug

The secret of the Cats movie is that Cats was always stupid.

Izzhov
Dec 6, 2013

My head hurts.

Ogmius815 posted:

The secret of the Cats movie is that Cats was always stupid.

I once spent an entire afternoon doing research to try to figure out why the hell anybody ever liked the original musical. While my bewilderment was never 100% cleared up, after a few hours I eventually found a forum post containing probably the best answer I'm ever going to get on the matter:

quote:

For the record, I agree that the set was cool, the choreography often fun, and CATS was one of the last musicals to produce a true, Top 40 hit song.

But to me, it stands out as an example of how a hit creates itself in spite of whether audiences really like what they see and hear. West End success (inspired in part because CATS simply wasn't as bad as everyone feared it would be) produces a pre-sale in New York that insures the show is basically sold-out for its first two years on Broadway (despite what IIRC were tepid reviews). That pre-sale makes it a hard-to-get ticket and raises expectations both in New York and elsewhere.

Even though I've known a lot of people who felt their expectations were betrayed, there must also be many who went into the theater believing the show was great and humming the hit tune and, given the show's general lack of content, saw nothing to change their minds.

And so--for a lot of people--the hit is a hit largely because it's a hit. A sentiment Gertrude Stein would have loved.

But I accept that you feel the exact opposite and have good reasons for doing so.

And there's no question a backlash grew as the show ran and ran. A lot of us felt somehow personally offended when CATS ran longer than DOLLY!, FIDDLER and then even A CHORUS LINE, shows that in their days seemed to combine artistic merit with commercial appeal.

mobby_6kl
Aug 9, 2009

by Fluffdaddy
I've never even heard of Cats before the movie. Granted I only know that Phantom, Les Mis and Book of Mormon exist so that's doesn't really say much.

But another poster somewhere explained that it's basically the most accessible show so tourists that don't understand English or non-musical nerds can go experience the whole Broadway thing without (presumably) waiting years for the tickets.

Ghost Leviathan
Mar 2, 2017

Exploration is ill-advised.
I've actually seen part of a performance on TV as a kid, the end of the Skimbleshanks song oddly enough. (Which is implied to end with a train crash!)

It didn't make much sense then either.

raditts
Feb 21, 2001

The Kwanzaa Bot is here to protect me.

TrixRabbi posted:

Keanu is one of those actors, like Nicolas Cage or Shelley Duvall, who don't adhere to standards of naturalism. They're offbeat and make unexpected decisions but carry a powerful charisma about them that gives them starpower. When directors don't know how to use them, they stick out and clash with the film. But when directors know what they're doing, they shine brilliantly in ways only they can.

So with Keanu, he appears wooden and like he "can't act" in certain films. But he's perfect in The Matrix. He's perfect in a film like A Scanner Darkly. And he does have way more range than he gets credit for, it's just that range is on a different wavelength than what we've been conditioned to think of as "good" acting.

If the range between Johnny Utah and Ted "Theodore" Logan isn't good enough for you, there's just no pleasing you tbh

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Darko
Dec 23, 2004

mobby_6kl posted:

I've never even heard of Cats before the movie. Granted I only know that Phantom, Les Mis and Book of Mormon exist so that's doesn't really say much.

But another poster somewhere explained that it's basically the most accessible show so tourists that don't understand English or non-musical nerds can go experience the whole Broadway thing without (presumably) waiting years for the tickets.

Nah, that's more Phantom.

Cats is a weird thing; a big part was that it was sold as a family musical, and was advertised super heavily to the point that I even wanted to see it as a kid. Memory was so poppy that it helped to sell to non theater people that the music wouldnt be as "complex" as something more operatic like Les Mis or as dark in tone as Phantom so it basically came off as being accessible.