Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

pram
Jun 10, 2001
did you recently make a ryzen or threadripper “rig” well this is the thread for you my friend

impress everyone with your specs and also revel in the fact that you were able to buy parts from amazon and Not only that but you put them together too. everyone will be amazed that you were able to accomplish a task that a common 13 year old is capable of

brag a little, you deserve it!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

MononcQc
May 29, 2007

In 2007 I bought a desktop computer for which my brother picked the parts for something like $600. It could play skyrim on low.
My brother has kept building fancier desktops through the years, but I never upgraded mine.
Last summer he gave me some of his older hardware; RAM, a graphic card, and a motherboard. I had to buy a new power supply for like $40 bucks and then I could play all the old games I had installed to max, but I think I was right under specs for the upcoming MS flight sim. I bought a SSD and a bigger HDD to complete the upgrade since the 12 years old HDD was showing signs of low reliability.

Around this winter he replaced his hardware again, I bought nothing at all, and I think I now meet (and maybe surpass) the requirements for the upcoming MS flight sim.

The case is hitting its limits and the side panels barely close (they got a bit bumpy after a few moves), but I got a workable desktop for essentially nothing.

I don't recall what the specs are and I'd have to go in another room to find them so take it or leave it.

Silver Alicorn
Mar 30, 2008

𝓪 𝓻𝓮𝓭 𝓹𝓪𝓷𝓭𝓪 𝓲𝓼 𝓪 𝓬𝓾𝓻𝓲𝓸𝓾𝓼 𝓼𝓸𝓻𝓽 𝓸𝓯 𝓬𝓻𝓮𝓪𝓽𝓾𝓻𝓮
I'm always happy to brag about the computer I put together a couple summers ago

dual P3s at 1GHz, 1GB of ECC Rambus (it was easier to get than non ecc), GeForce 2 and a Sound Blaster 128

I have windows 2000 installed on it and it runs UT pretty well :)

e: it is presently buried in my closet or I would maybe take some external shots of it

Silver Alicorn fucked around with this message at 17:33 on Feb 8, 2020

qirex
Feb 15, 2001

I put a sticker on my macbook pro, that counts as custom

[I'm kidding, of course, I'm not a literal child]

r u ready to WALK
Sep 29, 2001

hell yeah finally an excuse to post my rig

akadajet
Sep 14, 2003

r u ready to WALK posted:

hell yeah finally an excuse to post my rig

aren't tubes supposed to glow orange/red?

President Beep
Apr 30, 2009

i have to have a car because otherwise i cant drive around the country solving mysteries while being doggedly pursued by federal marshals for a crime i did not commit (9/11)
it’s little vials of romulan ale, op. contraband. be cool.

refleks
Nov 21, 2006

problematic title of thread means this thread will be nothing buy vapers posting their mods and phat plumes smelling like milkshakes

President Beep
Apr 30, 2009

i have to have a car because otherwise i cant drive around the country solving mysteries while being doggedly pursued by federal marshals for a crime i did not commit (9/11)
i thought it was gonna be about 18 wheelers. pretty bummed now tbh.

hifi
Jul 25, 2012

akadajet posted:

aren't tubes supposed to glow orange/red?

maybe they're radioactive

echinopsis
Apr 13, 2004

by Fluffdaddy
I have over a dozen usb ports

President Beep
Apr 30, 2009

i’m the pro overclocker

lament.cfg
Dec 28, 2006

we have such posts
to show you

I bough an hp desktop at bestbuy and put more ram in it :smuggo:

Bored Online
May 25, 2009

We don't need Rome telling us what to do.
i have a ryzen rig. dunno seems to play civ well :jebstare:

pram
Jun 10, 2001

Allen "Splave" Golibersuch

Jonny 290
May 5, 2005

[ASK] me about OS/2 Warp
05 expedition, eddie bauer trim BUT they optioned for the (correct) manual third row, dual batteries, 300w of LED up front and 2x24w floods for the rear, two ham rigs, a CB, propane heat

burning swine
May 26, 2004

yeah I built a ryzen rig. Full tower. Five dvd drives. fight me

akadajet
Sep 14, 2003

burning swine posted:

yeah I built a ryzen rig. Full tower. Five dvd drives. fight me

do you sell dvds on the street corner?

well why not
Feb 10, 2009

I had a guy send me his second hand parts to go in my define r5 case. I got a huge noctua cooler in hopes of having a silent PC. the parts show up and lol the GPU is a blower rip

SO DEMANDING
Dec 27, 2003

got a ryzen 3700x

and a case which cost almost as much as the cpu

lol

RustyKnight
Jul 11, 2016

every day is a new horror

I have ryzen 3600x on a sale, 1thb ssd and some ram but i lost my job so they are just sitting there on the table doing nothing while i play games at lowest settings on my old laptop instead, yes i could just buy a ps4 for what i already paid for that but im dumb and i like my mouse and keyboard in games

KOTEX GOD OF BLOOD
Jul 7, 2012

case mods

echinopsis
Apr 13, 2004

by Fluffdaddy
cross posting from another thread but here is a custom rig for yas

the large resistor cable tied onto a heat sink, so the 5v rail had some load on it so the power supply doesn't shut down

whoops not soldered, just all the 12v cables stripped and twisted together and electric taped. I used two different colours for safety

this cute wee cable is the thing that tells the power supply that it should be on, mimicking the power button

the amp and sub in all their glory

this puppy punches I tell ya, rarely do I hear bass as powerful in anyone else’s house

President Beep
Apr 30, 2009

nice. very custom.

echinopsis
Apr 13, 2004

by Fluffdaddy
you cant buy that poo poo even in russia

refleks
Nov 21, 2006

my rig has both led lights AND UV lights to light up the sick custom sleeving i made with uv-reactant sleeving. ask me about being a loving loser

Laslow
Jul 18, 2007
my rig blew its motherboard and replacements were $200 thanks to the c228 chipset. so i spent $40 on a dell precision motherboard with the same chipset and $12 on adapters so I could hook it up to a regular power supply. it’s ghetto as hell but i love it.

KOTEX GOD OF BLOOD
Jul 7, 2012

bought a 2017 21.5" imac from my friend's brother, he busted both the screen and the lvds connector putting in an ssd. works fine connected to an external monitor so right now it's acting as a sweet $150 mac mini.

if anyone knows where to get a cheap replacement screen...

r u ready to WALK
Sep 29, 2001

you should drill screw holes through the original iMac panel and use it as a vesa mount for the external monitor imo

KOTEX GOD OF BLOOD
Jul 7, 2012

r u ready to WALK posted:

you should drill screw holes through the original iMac panel and use it as a vesa mount for the external monitor imo
[extremely boondock saints voice] i'm strangely comfortable with the idea

graph
Nov 22, 2006

aaag peanuts
ive never built a computer, apple just ships it to me

burning swine
May 26, 2004

echinopsis posted:

this puppy punches I tell ya, rarely do I hear bass as powerful in anyone else’s house

lol I did the exact same thing

sounds great

rotor
Jun 11, 2001

classic case of pineapple derangement syndrome

proverclockers

echinopsis
Apr 13, 2004

by Fluffdaddy

burning swine posted:

lol I did the exact same thing

sounds great

lol wow. i’m honestly amazed the pc power supply can run the amp, it draws some significant current

Silver Alicorn
Mar 30, 2008

𝓪 𝓻𝓮𝓭 𝓹𝓪𝓷𝓭𝓪 𝓲𝓼 𝓪 𝓬𝓾𝓻𝓲𝓸𝓾𝓼 𝓼𝓸𝓻𝓽 𝓸𝓯 𝓬𝓻𝓮𝓪𝓽𝓾𝓻𝓮
pretend I made an oblique dead space reference

Bloody
Mar 3, 2013

rotor posted:

groverclockers

President Beep
Apr 30, 2009

The Management
Jan 2, 2010

sup, bitch?
my rig is a ten year old iMac. my friend who worked on macs gave me 16 gigs of ram for it back in 2010, which was pretty rad back then.

President Beep
Apr 30, 2009

my rig is a refurbished thinkpad. it really whips the llama’s rear end.

it’s custom, in that.... it has.......... a unique serial number(?)

President Beep fucked around with this message at 22:51 on Feb 10, 2020

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

r u ready to WALK
Sep 29, 2001

i can't believe i've had the same lian li case for 8 years

it has different parts inside now though