Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Sally
Jan 9, 2007

Don't post Small Dash!
This movie is probably the best Star Wars sequel that isn't actually a Star Wars movie to ever be released. I loving love The Fifth Element and have seen it dozens of times. This thread is for The Fifth Element!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Sally
Jan 9, 2007

Don't post Small Dash!
heck, it even has Mandalorians! https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=AcuaoDtYcUY

nine-gear crow
Aug 10, 2013

jean

nine-gear crow
Aug 10, 2013

baptiste

nine-gear crow
Aug 10, 2013

emmanuel

nine-gear crow
Aug 10, 2013

zorg

Guillermus
Dec 28, 2009

I like the instant microwave chicken from a pill.

silvergoose
Mar 18, 2006

IT IS SAID THE TEARS OF THE BWEENIX CAN HEAL ALL WOUNDS

It's similar to Galaxy Quest which is the best star trek movie.

RealityWarCriminal
Aug 10, 2016

:o:
leeloo dallas mooltipass

Squizzle
Apr 24, 2008

the fifth element (wood)

The Protagonist
Jun 29, 2009

The average is 5.5? I thought it was 4. This is very unsettling.
how old is leeloo when she fucks Dallas

silvergoose
Mar 18, 2006

IT IS SAID THE TEARS OF THE BWEENIX CAN HEAL ALL WOUNDS

Squizzle posted:

the fifth element (wood)

Sheep?

Who What Now
Sep 10, 2006

by Azathoth

The Protagonist posted:

Like 30 hours?

Rudeboy Detective
Apr 28, 2011

Well, the whole movie IS live action anime in every other regard.

vyelkin
Jan 2, 2011
the fifth element is good and im sad that it never got a sequel called the sixth element

Trying
Sep 26, 2019

The Protagonist posted:

probably older than the director's wife was

Tulip
Jun 3, 2008

yeah thats pretty good

vyelkin posted:

the fifth element is good and im sad that it never got a sequel called the sixth element

Alternatively, 10th element, or 25th element

Squizzle
Apr 24, 2008

they called the third fifth element “element one”

Soul Reaver
Mar 8, 2009

in retrospect the old redtext was a little over the top, I think I was in a bad mood that day. it appears you've learned your lesson about slagging our gods and masters at beamdog but I'm still going to leave this av up because i think its funny

god bless
Hot take: as much as I would like to, I just don't enjoy The Fifth Element.

It wasn't actually very funny, so it doesn't work well as a comedy or satire of the genre.
And if it was trying to be serious, it definitely didn't do that very well either.

I also don't like its ultimate lesson: to maximize your chances of saving the world, be sure to smoke.

Finger Prince
Jan 5, 2007

Soul Reaver posted:

It wasn't actually very funny, so it doesn't work well as a comedy or satire of the genre.
And if it was trying to be serious, it definitely didn't do that very well either.

I also don't like its ultimate lesson: to maximize your chances of saving the world, be sure to smoke.

Consider that the writer and director is French and it will start to make sense.

Sally
Jan 9, 2007

Don't post Small Dash!
i fell down the YouTUbe pit of searching up live performances of the diva song. this person does a helluva job hitting those high notes: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=kJl2uPNsJEk

HardKase
Jul 15, 2007
TASTY
There are many movies which have flaws that I give a pass.

The fifth Element is the only one I give a multipass

Defiance Industries
Jul 22, 2010

A five-star manufacturer

Ruby Rhod really foreshadows the modern age of the "YouTube star"

Sally
Jan 9, 2007

Don't post Small Dash!
PHLOSTON!

PARADIIIIIIIIIIIIIIISE!

Kaysette
Jan 5, 2009

~*Boston makes me*~
~*feel good*~

:wrongcity:

Soul Reaver posted:

I don’t want to type a lot but this v wrong in every way.

Animal Friend
Sep 7, 2011

I got the opportunity to see this in an IMAX just last year and it still loving owns so hard.

Even if you have problems with the tone or action in this...just the world it creates- from the locations to the costumes, its just so cool.

Its a one-off science fiction movie that looks its own thing. There's really not been anything approaching it since.

sand maggot
Jan 3, 2020

Is the Valerian 1000 planets movie any good like the fifth element? I know they’re made by the same guy

Sally
Jan 9, 2007

Don't post Small Dash!
no it stinks!

Sally
Jan 9, 2007

Don't post Small Dash!
La Femme Nikita
Leon The Professional
and The Fifth Element

that's all that's really worth watching from Luc Besson

Captain Splendid
Jan 7, 2009

Qu'en pense Caffarelli?

Dash Rendar posted:

La Femme Nikita
Leon The Professional
and The Fifth Element

that's all that's really worth watching from Luc Besson

I was going to say "La Haine" as well but that's Matthieu Kassovitz.

Cease to Hope
Dec 12, 2011
i like fifth element but he sure does gently caress a newborn woman with the apparent mind of a child in a tube, huh

MJP
Jun 17, 2007

Are you looking at me Senpai?

Grimey Drawer

eric ciaramella posted:

leeloo dallas mooltipass

Cage Kicker
Feb 20, 2009

End of the fiscal year, bitch.
MP's got time to order pens for year year, hooah?

SKILCRAFT KREW Reppin' Quality Blind Made

Lipstick Apathy

Cease to Hope posted:

i like fifth element but he sure does gently caress a newborn woman with the apparent mind of a child in a tube, huh

do not ruin this loving movie

Mooey Cow
Jan 27, 2018

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
Pillbug

Squizzle posted:

the fifth element (wood)

The 5th element is boner???

Animal Friend
Sep 7, 2011

Saturnalia posted:

Is the Valerian 1000 planets movie any good like the fifth element? I know they’re made by the same guy

I watched this recently and it's got real panache similar if not by virtue of technology exceeding the Fifth Element, but the characters are just terrible, with stupid romance that detracts from the already unexciting plot.

If you or a friend have a big screen and want to turn your brains off and enjoy some genuinely beautiful and kooky imagery than its worth it. Don't watch it expecting to be engaged though. There's a reason why the hype around it died real quick.

Mooey Cow
Jan 27, 2018

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
Pillbug

Cease to Hope posted:

Luc Besson is a weirdo.

Sally
Jan 9, 2007

Don't post Small Dash!

Cease to Hope posted:

wtf this is a nuclear take.

she's an adult. she was killed in the ship crash and her body reconstructed/resurrected from what was left of her right hand. when she wakes up she freaks out because her last waking moments were of her ship going down in flames.

all the learning she does is because she grew up in an alien culture. she is now learning about humanity and how hosed up it is compared to whatever her adopted home was. i forget their names. not the Mangalores, the giant gold aliens.

zoux
Apr 28, 2006

I like when she gets to War on wikipedia and cries over WWII stock footage

Sally
Jan 9, 2007

Don't post Small Dash!

Captain Splendid posted:

I was going to say "La Haine" as well but that's Matthieu Kassovitz.

just remembered Luc Besson did La Dernier Combat. That was pretty solid.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Sir DonkeyPunch
Mar 23, 2007

I didn't hear no bell

Dash Rendar posted:

wtf this is a nuclear take.

she's an adult. she was killed in the ship crash and her body reconstructed/resurrected from what was left of her right hand. when she wakes up she freaks out because her last waking moments were of her ship going down in flames.

all the learning she does is because she grew up in an alien culture. she is now learning about humanity and how hosed up it is compared to whatever her adopted home was. i forget their names. not the Mangalores, the giant gold aliens.

You think all the mondocheewans are sexy ladies in there :allears: