Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Gnome de plume
Sep 5, 2006

Hell.
Fucking.
Yes.
I got whatever the first Rogue Squadron book was and never read past the incredibly riveting discussion about putting kill decals on the fuselage

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Captain Splendid
Jan 7, 2009

Qu'en pense Caffarelli?

Gnome de plume posted:

I got whatever the first Rogue Squadron book was and never read past the incredibly riveting discussion about putting kill decals on the fuselage

But it ended with them commenting how one squad member had two Death Stars painted on his fighter :black101:

Squizzle
Apr 24, 2008

i read a comic book about rogue squadron once. it was satisfying entertainment

Cage Kicker
Feb 20, 2009

End of the fiscal year, bitch.
MP's got time to order pens for year year, hooah?

SKILCRAFT KREW Reppin' Quality Blind Made

Lipstick Apathy
Starfighters of Adumar was great because they go to Space Massachusetts and dunk on people flying F-35s or whatever with X-Wings

Polaron
Oct 13, 2010

The Oncoming Storm

Cage Kicker posted:

Starfighters of Adumar was great because they go to Space Massachusetts and dunk on people flying F-35s or whatever with X-Wings

Space France

Biplane
Jul 18, 2005

First star wars book i ever read was whichever number the bacta one (on thiferra or something like it? hosed up i can even remember that much) and young me loving loved it. I think i got one of the thrawn books next and I thought it was AMAZING how theres like 90 loving star war books holy poo poo. And even though most of them were bad some were good. And of those rogue and wraith squads were number one easy.

To my mild surprise i was actually kinda peeved when they made the eu into non canon Legends even though i havent read a star wars book in 15 years.

Edgar Allen Ho
Apr 3, 2017

by sebmojo

Biplane posted:

First star wars book i ever read was whichever number the bacta one (on thiferra or something like it? hosed up i can even remember that much) and young me loving loved it. I think i got one of the thrawn books next and I thought it was AMAZING how theres like 90 loving star war books holy poo poo. And even though most of them were bad some were good. And of those rogue and wraith squads were number one easy.

To my mild surprise i was actually kinda peeved when they made the eu into non canon Legends even though i havent read a star wars book in 15 years.

Woulda been nice if Disney had actually made a newer, solider canon

SlothfulCobra
Mar 27, 2011

I think it was stupid that they put out a big press statement about how the entire EU was noncanon when they should've just made whatever drat movie they wanted that would end up only implicitly de-canonizing whatever works that they contradicted and leaving plenty of leeway to insert references to whatever EU things that they liked, and then let the nerds sort the whole mess out because that's half of what fandom is about anyways. The audience can have the freedom to decide what is and isn't in their own personal canon, which is what they loving do anyways. Official canon curation is always a dumb idea, DC's Crises events are also terrible. All it does is alienate parts of the audience (both the parts that liked the decanonized work and the parts that don't give a poo poo about weird nerd junk like official canon) and limit the amount of material you have to work with within your franchise.

And now when I go to look up something, even something simple like "how many star wars novels have been published?" I have to wade through this weird orwellian muck that tries to follow the company line instead of just telling me the truth about reality.

Punished Chuck
Dec 27, 2010

Edgar Allen Ho posted:

Claudia Gray’s new books are good. Just don’t read the Chuck Wendig ones no matter what you do

MonsieurChoc
Oct 12, 2013

Every species can smell its own extinction.

Edgar Allen Ho posted:

Canon is a lie.

OctoberCountry
Oct 9, 2012

Chuck Buried Treasure posted:

Just don’t read the Chuck Wendig ones no matter what you do

The TIE wibbles and wobbles through the air, careening drunkenly across the Myrrann rooftops-it zigzags herkily-jerkily out of sight

Edgar Allen Ho
Apr 3, 2017

by sebmojo

MonsieurChoc posted:

Canon is a lie.

I agree in general but when you make a whole thing about how there's a new canon now and Star War officially agrees that the bug orgies and Triclops Palpatine and Luuke and Grand Admiral Art Critic and all that are silly

then god dammit follow through.

Also Kylo Ren might be my favourite Star Wars character overall but he'd be way better if he existed in a world where Triclops and Trioculus existed instead of fuckin Rey Palpatine, somehow

Edgar Allen Ho fucked around with this message at 23:58 on Feb 15, 2020

MonsieurChoc
Oct 12, 2013

Edgar Allen Ho posted:

I agree in general but when you make a whole thing about how there's a new canon now and Star War officially agrees that the bug orgies and Triclops Palpatine and Luuke and Grand Admiral Art Critic and all that are silly

then god dammit follow through.

Also Kylo Ren might be my favourite Star Wars character overall but he'd be way better if he existed in a world where Triclops and Trioculus existed instead of fuckin Rey Palpatine, somehow

Rey's dad is totally Triclops. You can't convince me otherwise.

TremorX
Jan 19, 2001

All Hail Big Hairy Mike

OctoberCountry posted:

The TIE wibbles and wobbles through the air, careening drunkenly across the Myrrann rooftops-it zigzags herkily-jerkily out of sight

The Audibooks of Chuck Windig's books work better if you imagine it's a first-time DM running a Star Wars game with rules he made up on the spot

Squizzle
Apr 24, 2008

chuck wingdings

OctoberCountry
Oct 9, 2012

TremorX posted:

The Audibooks of Chuck Windig's books work better if you imagine it's a first-time DM running a Star Wars game with rules he made up on the spot

I've only read a sample chapter of the one that came out around TFA. Are they all written in that awful ,choppy present tense style?

the paradigm shift
Jan 18, 2006

OctoberCountry posted:

I've only read a sample chapter of the one that came out around TFA. Are they all written in that awful ,choppy present tense style?

yeah and he likes to tease character deaths all the time and of course nobody dies

OctoberCountry
Oct 9, 2012

the paradigm shift posted:

yeah and he likes to tease character deaths all the time and of course nobody dies

Hm, sounds familiar

Squizzle
Apr 24, 2008

OctoberCountry posted:

Hm, sounds familiar

are you threatening to kill someone itt

OctoberCountry
Oct 9, 2012

Squizzle posted:

are you threatening to kill someone itt

Who am I, JJ Abrams?

MonsieurChoc
Oct 12, 2013

Chuck Wendig did a lot of work on the World of Darkness rpgs IIRC.

Or rather there is a Chuck Wendig that shows up a lot on the credits pages of my ton of WW books.

Polaron
Oct 13, 2010

The Oncoming Storm

MonsieurChoc posted:

Chuck Wendig did a lot of work on the World of Darkness rpgs IIRC.

Or rather there is a Chuck Wendig that shows up a lot on the credits pages of my ton of WW books.

Yeah, same guy. He did a ton of work for White Wolf before his writing career took off.

MonsieurChoc
Oct 12, 2013

Polaron posted:

Yeah, same guy. He did a ton of work for White Wolf before his writing career took off.

Looks like he was better as an rpg writer.

BiggestBatman
Aug 23, 2018
Solo Command was one of the first real EU books I ever read (well-meaning but poorly canon-informed gift IIRC), and what I remember most is some long sequence where the characters pull a trick on another by making them think there's a real ewok running around and some running gag that Han Solo and another character (Tycho? Corran?) are the same character cause they're never in the same room.

Which is to say it still has the best humor of any star wars novel I've ever read.

Caros
May 14, 2008

OctoberCountry posted:

I have never wanted to tear my ears off more than when I listened to that audiobook. I think I got maybe an hour or two in.

To this day I wonder who he had to gently caress in order to have that be the first bit of EU material based around the new trilogy.

cams
Mar 28, 2003

Caros posted:

I have never wanted to tear my ears off more than when I listened to that audiobook. I think I got maybe an hour or two in.

To this day I wonder who he had to gently caress in order to have that be the first bit of EU material based around the new trilogy.
i was so thirsty for new canon star wars lore that i listened to the entire first audio book and went "well, that was not very good, but hey first try."

i got half way through the second and never went back. it's just so booooooring. if your star wars book is not largely about either a) jedi or b) large scale space battles, what the gently caress are you doing?

"oh but we have to build out the world between the movies!" gently caress off no you don't tell new and interesting stories.

Polaron
Oct 13, 2010

The Oncoming Storm

BiggestBatman posted:

some running gag that Han Solo and another character (Tycho? Corran?) are the same character cause they're never in the same room.

Corran, I think, since they're both Corellian. The joke was to explain why Corran never shows up in the KJA books covering this same event :v:

Zoran
Aug 19, 2008

I lost to you once, monster. I shall not lose again! Die now, that our future can live!

BiggestBatman posted:

what I remember most is some long sequence where the characters pull a trick on another by making them think there's a real ewok running around

Zoran posted:

Yub yub, commander

SlothfulCobra
Mar 27, 2011

What I remember is that they wound up making imperials think that one of their pilots was specifically an ewok that had been an escaped test subject for an experiment that involved boosting "primitive" species to be able to use complex technology.

One thing led to another, and eventually the squadron wound up with a boosted gamorean pilot whose name couldn't've been Porkins, right? That's just my brain farting, right?

There was also a verpine pilot that emasculated one of the main characters by just being way better at shooting.

silvergoose
Mar 18, 2006

IT IS SAID THE TEARS OF THE BWEENIX CAN HEAL ALL WOUNDS

His name is piggy, porkins' nickname was also piggy.

silvergoose
Mar 18, 2006

Well okay his name is some series of grunts but you know what I mean.

Punished Chuck
Dec 27, 2010

SlothfulCobra posted:

One thing led to another, and eventually the squadron wound up with a boosted gamorean pilot whose name couldn't've been Porkins, right? That's just my brain farting, right?

I don’t know what the gamorrean’s name was but Porkins was the fat Rebel pilot that died in the trench run in the original movie

Argus Zant
Nov 18, 2012

Wer ist bereit zu tanzen?

SlothfulCobra posted:

What I remember is that they wound up making imperials think that one of their pilots was specifically an ewok that had been an escaped test subject for an experiment that involved boosting "primitive" species to be able to use complex technology.

There was also a verpine pilot that emasculated one of the main characters by just being way better at shooting.

The gamorrean pilot was Voort saBinring, but everyone called him Piggy, which was also what Jek Porkins' nickname was. The ewok pilot (Lt. Kettch) was a story Janson came up with to troll Wedge when they were interviewing candidates for Wraith Squadron; Piggy was the one who got experimented on (which made him a genius, and also he spoke through a throat implant like Stephen Hawking). Then in the second novel- when Wraith Squadron is impersonating a group of space pirates to get close to Warlord Zsinj- they decide that one of the fictitious pirates is Kettch, who they give Piggy's backstory. And Wedge ends up being the one who has to pretend to be Kettch, so in addition to modifying his radio so he sounds like an Ewok when flying (like a chipmunk voice filter), he rigs up an Ewok doll on his flight suit so that if an enemy pilot manages to get a look at the cockpit past the glass, they'll see an Ewok piloting a TIE Interceptor (this happens).

Also, the verpine was Zraii, who was Rogue Squadron's flight mechanic, and never had a single line of dialogue nor hour of flight time (despite being listed in the dramatis personae at the start of every Rogue novel). You're thinking of Ooryl Qyrgg, who was a Gand (like Zuckuss the bounty hunter from TESB), and who is at one point described as shooting as though the Alliance was rationing laser bolts. Ooryl also punches a Stormtrooper in the back of the head so hard that he caves the fucker's skull in, through the helmet.

SlothfulCobra
Mar 27, 2011

I'll admit, I really don't remember much of them even though I read all the books. A lot of middle school is a bit of a blur.

The other big thing I remember is BOHICA.

MonsieurChoc
Oct 12, 2013

There was also the Twi'lek who ended up as the lawyer of a big time smuggler after he lost his leg.

Ezis
Oct 10, 2001

Oh man remember when Tycho or whomever tears somebody a new one because they talk poo poo about Porkins? I think it comes up when Piggy joins the team

MikeCrotch
Nov 5, 2011

I AM UNJUSTIFIABLY PROUD OF MY SPAGHETTI BOLOGNESE RECIPE

YES, IT IS AN INCREDIBLY SIMPLE DISH

NO, IT IS NOT NORMAL TO USE A PEPPERAMI INSTEAD OF MINCED MEAT

YES, THERE IS TOO MUCH SALT IN MY RECIPE

NO, I WON'T STOP SHARING IT

more like BOLLOCKnese
Ooryl was great because he was basically superhuman (he could see in ultraviolet, regrow limbs and was immune to nerve gas off the top of my head) but was just kind of a weirdo and didn't mention this stuff until it was relevant

He was blatantly Stackpole's "poo poo I need to write myself out of this corner and can't use the force' button though

silvergoose
Mar 18, 2006

Ezis posted:

Oh man remember when Tycho or whomever tears somebody a new one because they talk poo poo about Porkins? I think it comes up when Piggy joins the team

Piggy had said "my squadron mates gave me this nickname as a pejorative" and Wedge responded something like "there was once a fine pilot in rogue squadron who went by that, it would be a mark of respect here"

Is that what you're thinking of? It was during the wraith squadron recruitment montage.

Captain Splendid
Jan 7, 2009

Qu'en pense Caffarelli?
Let's not forget multiple-personality-horse pilot who once slammed a man to death back and forth between two walls while also on fire.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Ezis
Oct 10, 2001

silvergoose posted:

Is that what you're thinking of? It was during the wraith squadron recruitment montage.

Yeah, that was it. Thanks.