Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Pennywise the Frown
May 10, 2010

Upset Trowel
So subway is a fast food place. They make sandwiches, albeit not very well. I'd say it's the bottom tier of sandwich places compared to Jimmy John's, Firehouse Subs, Jersey Mike's, etc.

Advertised

Reality

I like getting Subway sometimes. It's fast and relatively cheap. They have a deal going on right now where you can get a 6" chicken breast sub for $2.99 which is the sub I get most often. The nutritional macros on some of the subs aren't too bad which is mostly why I go there. If you order the right sub that is. Some are terrible for you. Especially the sauces. For a foot long chicken breast sub it's 540 calories with 3.5g of fat, 80g of carbs (kinda high), 46g of protein (very high), and 10g of fiber. Add 100 calories for lite mayo and another 100 for pepper jack cheese. I have one half for lunch and the other half for dinner. Maybe some garden salsa chips with it.

One of my biggest pet peeves in life is how the subway sandwich artists make my sub. They usually stuff it so full that they can't close it and toppings are just falling out of it when I open it. I asked the last girl to put the mayo on the bread but she put it on top at the end and I had all of the mayo on the outside of my sub. I say "light lettuce" and they put 4 handfuls on. "Less lettuce please." They understandably say that most people ask for more and more vegetables. Well that's great but I want to be able to eat my sub comfortably. "Pickles please." Entire sub is now green.

What are the things you love and hate about Subway?!

Ugh I broke my streak of 3/3 gold threads for a thread about god drat Subway.

Thread update: Feel free to talk about ALL sandwich places you love!

Pennywise the Frown fucked around with this message at 12:51 on May 3, 2020

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Crusty Nutsack
Apr 21, 2005

SUCK LASER, COPPERS

the only thing worse than a subway sub is a subway sub that's been sitting in the fridge for a few hours

HugeGrossBurrito
Mar 20, 2018
Subway is good for when I’ve just given up on reality for the day

BaconCopter
Feb 13, 2008

:coolfish:

:coolfish:
The "chicken breast" is like 51% chicken and the rest is TVP.

Derpies
Mar 11, 2014

by sebmojo
Subway sucks rear end !!!!!!!!!!!

AARD VARKMAN
May 17, 1993
Allow me to be the very first to say EAT FRESH!!!!!!!!

Crusty Nutsack
Apr 21, 2005

SUCK LASER, COPPERS

if I was forced to eat a sandwich from subway, it would definitely be one of their breakfast egg flatbread things. those are mostly edible.

Pennywise the Frown
May 10, 2010

Upset Trowel

Crusty Nutsack posted:

the only thing worse than a subway sub is a subway sub that's been sitting in the fridge for a few hours

Oh definitely. You can't get any thin sauces on it or it'll just make the whole mess soggy.

Pennywise the Frown
May 10, 2010

Upset Trowel

Crusty Nutsack posted:

if I was forced to eat a sandwich from subway, it would definitely be one of their breakfast egg flatbread things. those are mostly edible.

I've never had a breakfast sub before. The egg discs look so sad.

Crusty Nutsack
Apr 21, 2005

SUCK LASER, COPPERS

Pennywise the Frown posted:

I've never had a breakfast sub before. The egg discs look so sad.

they are, but they are less scary to me than the low quality meats. maybe salami is ok though, I dunno

kloa
Feb 14, 2007

HugeGrossBurrito posted:

Subway is good for when I’ve just given up on reality for the day

that's a p good way to put it

Pennywise the Frown
May 10, 2010

Upset Trowel

Crusty Nutsack posted:

they are, but they are less scary to me than the low quality meats. maybe salami is ok though, I dunno

Yeah the chicken breasts are pretty sad looking too. Just sitting in a cold container to be heated up. I've seen them sitting in hot water before too.

To be honest I agree that the cured meats are probably better quality since they're already preserved.

Mr. Dick
Aug 9, 2019

by Cyrano4747
The worst poo poo Mr. Dick ever had to take in his life was induced by one of their eggy breakfast abominations. His rear end hit the toilet seat the same second his anus could no longer hold back the turd.

WEH
Feb 22, 2009

Used to work at a couple places close to subways and the breakfast sub that was like egg cheese and bacon on flatbread was a buck or two cheaper than comparable subs and it was pretty drat good toasted with the chipotle sauce and spinach. That was years ago though and I guess they’re bad now so rip

ferroque
Oct 27, 2007

all subways smell nasty

Pennywise the Frown
May 10, 2010

Upset Trowel
Yeah they have this stale bread smell to all of them. I'd hate to work at a Subway. You'd go home smelling like that every day.

dudeness
Mar 5, 2010

:minnie: Cat Army :minnie:
Fallen Rib
My favorite part is asking for olives and they sprinkle like, 4 paper thin olive slices on there.

shadow puppet of a
Jan 10, 2007

NO TENGO SCORPIO

CanIgedda footlong Italian BMT on herbs and cheese, no not toasted, yes cheese, just a little bit of lettuce please, and everything else yeah great thanks, sub sauce and salt and pepper, can i get a little more sub sauce perfect thanks, to go, no combo just a sandwich, debit, thanks

Pennywise the Frown
May 10, 2010

Upset Trowel

dudeness posted:

My favorite part is asking for olives and they sprinkle like, 4 paper thin olive slices on there.

Opposite problem for me. Every single time they put about two handfuls on.

Look I appreciate the enthusiasm but I'd like to be able to fit my sandwich in my mouth hole.

Entorwellian
Jun 30, 2006

Northern Flicker
Anna's Hummingbird

Sorry, but the people have spoken.

I can't go anywhere near a Subway without thinking of that filthy Jared Fogle. No matter what amount of rebranding and whitewashing they do, Subway's image is always going to be associated with that pedophile in the same way McDonalds is associated with Ronald McDonald .

TelevisedInsanity
Dec 19, 2008

"You'll never know if you can fly unless you take the risk of falling."
When I want to feel "healthy":
9 Grain Honey Oat Footlong
Ham & Turkey
Double
Shredded Cheddar - NOT TOASTED
Lettuce
Onion
DOUBLE Cucumbers - NO SAUCE

When I want to feel somewhat special
Italian Herb & Cheese
Spicy Italian
Pepper Jack - YES TOASTED
Lettuce
Onion
Green Peppers
Red Wine Vinegrette - Add The Spices at the End

and other than that - get some cookies and the huberts lemonade

and see if they have those gimmick lays chips because "taste of america" is great, but I aint gonna buy big bags of bad chips

Jose Oquendo
Jun 20, 2004

Star Trek: The Motion Picture is a boring movie
Last month I had Subway for the first time in a long time. It was.... ok. I think if they used better quality meats it would help. Everything else is fresh so it's the only thing you can really improve on.

Nyaa
Jan 7, 2010
Like, Nyaa.

:colbert:
Subway spoiled me with their list of quality bread. Any sandwich elsewhere with a normal bun/plain bread automatically get a grade down for me.

ninjoatse.cx
Apr 9, 2005

Fun Shoe
OP paid the price for having his sandwich made hot. Never get it toasted. never. You have exactly 45 seconds to eat it after it's toasted, otherwise it turns into what you see in the OP.

Ham is where the heart is. $5 for a foot long, and you can load that stuff up with veggies. Chopped salads are also a healthier option, but they actually charge you more for the salad than for the bread :redass:

Other pro moves are getting those coupons where you can get a roast beef or a club for $6. They used to have a corned beef sub, and it was decent, but it was like $8. Might as well go to a sit down for that price.

Vincent Van Goatse
Nov 8, 2006

Enjoy every sandwich.

Smellrose

ninjoatse.cx
Apr 9, 2005

Fun Shoe

dudeness posted:

You have to learn who the good people are. Used to have a subway run by an Israeli guy who would only put 4 slices of tomato on a footlong, ever. Later he got some high school girl to work for him, and everything became 400x better.

tetsuo
May 12, 2001

I am a shaman, magician
sometimes i'm just in the mood for an absolutely filthy - in the prurient and sanitary senses of the word - sandwich and their footlong meatball sub ticks both boxes.

ninjoatse.cx
Apr 9, 2005

Fun Shoe

tetsuo posted:

sometimes i'm just in the mood for an absolutely filthy - in the prurient and sanitary senses of the word - sandwich and their footlong meatball sub ticks both boxes.

brave man

Nyaa
Jan 7, 2010
Like, Nyaa.

Would be great if they slice the meatballs in half so it doesn’t sink awkwardly into the bread.

ferroque
Oct 27, 2007

Nyaa posted:

Would be great if they slice the meatballs in half so it doesn’t sink awkwardly into the bread.

one meat hemisphere sandwich please!! :D

Pennywise the Frown
May 10, 2010

Upset Trowel

Entorwellian posted:

I can't go anywhere near a Subway without thinking of that filthy Jared Fogle. No matter what amount of rebranding and whitewashing they do, Subway's image is always going to be associated with that pedophile in the same way McDonalds is associated with Ronald McDonald .

I haven't thought about Ronald McDonald since the 90s.

Jose Oquendo posted:

Last month I had Subway for the first time in a long time. It was.... ok. I think if they used better quality meats it would help. Everything else is fresh so it's the only thing you can really improve on.

That's a big problem with Subway. Their meats, which is their main product, are poo poo. I'm not saying Jimmy John's is super high quality but it has to be better.

UltraRed posted:

OP paid the price for having his sandwich made hot. Never get it toasted. never. You have exactly 45 seconds to eat it after it's toasted, otherwise it turns into what you see in the OP.

I never get my subs toasted. :confused:

UltraRed posted:

Ham is where the heart is. $5 for a foot long, and you can load that stuff up with veggies. Chopped salads are also a healthier option, but they actually charge you more for the salad than for the bread :redass:

I think it's been like 10 years since I've seen a $5 footlong besides when they have deals.

Pennywise the Frown fucked around with this message at 19:18 on Feb 11, 2020

Pennywise the Frown
May 10, 2010

Upset Trowel
I've never had the meatball sub before. It looks a bit scary and I bet it'd just be a soggy mess. Also in elementary school I hated the meatball subs so that really turns me off. I probably haven't had one anywhere in 20+ years.

Nyaa
Jan 7, 2010
Like, Nyaa.

You are correct. It’s a soggy mess.

tetsuo
May 12, 2001

I am a shaman, magician
it's absolutely a soggy mess and an act of self hate fuckin shovel it right in

Pennywise the Frown
May 10, 2010

Upset Trowel

tetsuo posted:

it's absolutely a soggy mess and an act of self hate fuckin shovel it right in

I can respect that. :patriot:

Rick
Feb 23, 2004
When I was 17, my father was so stupid, I didn't want to be seen with him in public. When I was 24, I was amazed at how much the old man had learned in just 7 years.
The only thing I am about with Subway is that when I am going to Apache/Sitgraves National forest I will pick up a six inch turkey because it is slightly better than the Clifton Circle K sanwich which is my only other food choice going there other than god forbid making something myself.

Pennywise the Frown
May 10, 2010

Upset Trowel
I went hiking once and had a small camelbak backpack and got a 6" sub, probably a spicy italian, and put it in the pack while I was hiking in the middle of the summer.

It was not a good decision.

The Breakfast Sampler
Jan 1, 2006

subway: better than nothing. I can't presume that my palate has improved much over the years so I'm pretty sure it has gone down hill. I still get the meatball sandwich a couple times a year (per upthread, it is a good expression of self-loathing. the meatballs taste strangely earthy, like dirt. it's still the only thing I go out of my way for there.) the one close by is usually deserted these days, I think it's because they start shutting down everything or not stocking it, because more than once I've gone there in the evening and they're just "out" of everything.

Pennywise the Frown
May 10, 2010

Upset Trowel
Yeah the quality definitely went downhill. I think Subway is the biggest fast food place in the US, possibly internationally (too lazy to look it up). They have a cheap startup cost and are easy to maintain. Cutting corners is just natural. Although I think a lot of places have done that over the years.

The Breakfast Sampler posted:

subway: better than nothing

Mods, thread title change please.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Nyaa
Jan 7, 2010
Like, Nyaa.

I went ahead to look up the startup cost for subway with everything included: 100k to 300k depends on location and size.

It covers everything like real estate, construction, training, insurance and legals stuff, opening ads, etc.