Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Inzombiac
Mar 19, 2007

PARTY ALL NIGHT

EAT BRAINS ALL DAY

Salisbury steak.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Bust Rodd
Oct 21, 2008

by VideoGames
Salisbury Steak is also Pepper Steak is also Mystery Meat is also Rib Patty is also Meatloaf

Robo Reagan
Feb 12, 2012

by Fluffdaddy
the crepes at madame bourdenaux parisian regional high were atrocious

sweet thursday
Sep 16, 2012

One time Reginald neglected to cut the crust off of my Monte Cristo and I positively smacked him.

Crazyeyes
Nov 5, 2009

If I were human, I believe my response would be: 'go to hell'.
French bread pizza

Also just buying a stack of chocolate chip cookies instead of actual lunch because the lunch lady didn't give a drat.

chibi luda
Apr 17, 2013

In high school, a few Wednesdays a month were buffalo chicken wrap day, otherwise known as "buffchick". The wraps were insanely popular; kids would run to the line because if you didn't get a good spot, you could literally spend your whole lunch period and not get to eat. There were fights each and every time. One time one of the football players went into a blind rage and beat a kid unconscious and got expelled.

One of the math teachers who monitored the line loved it because he thought it taught kids survival of the fittest.

I really want to have one of these wraps again just to try and remember if it was worth the hype. They probably fuckin sucked.

Crazyeyes
Nov 5, 2009

If I were human, I believe my response would be: 'go to hell'.
One day in middle school the cafeteria was giving out pudding cups work lunch and I sat down super excited to eat mine and it was filled with BBQ sauce. I was convinced it was this kid I didn't like that sat at our assigned table, but only came to find out years and years later it was actually my best friend and best man at my wedding who had eaten the pudding and replaced it with the BBQ.

Really shattered my world.

The Breakfast Sampler
Jan 1, 2006

they did cinnamon roll and chili day every friday where I grew up, and that was the universal favorite (i remember it actually being good)

but my white whale of school lunch was called the oven baked cheese, which was just cheese product between biscuity dough that they made on a huge sheet. there must have been some special government pipeline of that biscuit mix and subsidized cheese in the late 80's because i've never bought or seen anything that replicated it since

Sophy Wackles
Dec 17, 2000

> access main security grid
access: PERMISSION DENIED.

My HS didn’t have a cafeteria. They did however order a lot of pizza from pizza hut then charge students a 500% markup per slice.

Tumble
Jun 24, 2003
I'm not thinking of anything!
one day our school lost its contract with the food-slop provider so the school had to figure something out fast. what they ended up doing was hiring a catering company to basically form a new school-lunch company and they ended up making us like, really decent food. we had fresh steamed/baked vegetable dishes, good salads, good sides like good mac and cheese, and the main dishes were awesome like really good chicken and rice or lasagna.

the lunchroom did a total 180, kids were actually sitting down and eating, there were much less interruptions, less kids running around and yelling, just much more peaceful in general.

the crazy thing was that the cost wasn't that much more expensive at all per kid either, since the slop-provider had renewed and raised their contract costs so much. Naturally though, since the cost per kid still went up, the school went back to the horrible food-slop provider after a month, since paying an extra $1.75 per kid to have real food is just too fuckin' much still

The Breakfast Sampler
Jan 1, 2006

Pawn 17 posted:

My HS didn’t have a cafeteria. They did however order a lot of pizza from pizza hut then charge students a 500% markup per slice.

mine did this too, but I only had it a couple of times because I had to go smoke and do drugs at lunch.

Meme Poker Party
Sep 1, 2006

by Azathoth
By highschool either my parents sent me with a lunch or I packed one myself, I don't think I ever ate the school food there even single time.

But middle school I ate at the cafeteria, and boy oh boy was that stuff garbage. Greasy pizza, breadsticks that were just a hunk of white bread to dip into nacho cheese, poo poo like that. It's an indictment of our society that we feed that stuff to our children. It probably stunted my growth and made me fat. What I'm saying is that American school lunches are so bad they are creating incels and we need to put a stop to it!!!!

superjew
Sep 5, 2007

No fair! You changed the outcome by measuring it!
Ft. Lauderdale

The early 90's

Walter C. Young Middle School

I was a garbage pig child who ate all the food I could. I was lucky that my parents thought the school food was such a good deal that I could have as much as I wanted so I routinely got double orders of my favorite plates.

The "Mexican pizza" that was a hexagon and had orange cheese and sausage
The chicken patty sandwiches that were, in hindsight, 100% vegetarian but who loving cares when it tastes like a big chicken nugget
Hot dogs and hamburgers and burritos that were of gas station quality and temperature
Awful cobbler for dessert.

Then I moved to a nowhere town with a football high school and it all changed from tray meals to an a la carte hellscape. There was one normal lunch line that thankfully still kept the same entree/starch/vegetable/fruit/drink nutritional system in place, and that still had good stuff.

Taco salad, full on with the fried flour tortilla bowl, delicious and filling and guaranteed liquid poo poo two hours later
GOOD BURGERS holy poo poo, they were assembled in front of us and you could see the rendered fat in the tray beneath the patties, and they came with special crinkle cut fries instead of the lovely ones everywhere else (in hindsight I'm SURE these were for the sake of the football team)
THANKSGIVING THURSDAYS, I know it's rejected pot pie filling but it was hot and savory and I would always get a second order because they clearly want me to, it's Thanksgiving Thursday
Just the worst cobbler you can imagine.

We could get a "combo" meal which was the closest to the tray meal in all the other lines which consisted of hot grease, hot starch, and sugar water. Half these lines didn't even carry milk and told you to get a fruit punch or gently caress off.

Trapezoid pizza with too-consistently-sized pepperoni cubes, and you could ask for fries on top instead of in a cup on the side so they'd fuse into the cheese and you could eat it all at once
Pizza bread, that was supposed to be like a wide pizza dough knot with pepperoni inside that you could dip in pizza sauce with a little parmesan on top. It ended up being a dough ball with a stack of pepperoni pressed in like a coin roll, which led to a pocket of greasy red bread inside that I'm sure has lingering cardiovascular effects to this day.
Mozzarella sticks that defied gravity with how full and structured the shell was compared to how little cheese there was inside
Clearly weeks-old cobbler.

OK that's all my school food memory.

superjew fucked around with this message at 19:50 on Feb 11, 2020

Ralph Hurley
Aug 3, 2009

:barf::sweep::zoid:

dee eight posted:

I brought my own lunch to school every day. Brown paper bag, a couple pb&j or baloney sammiches and a tastykake.

Same, but Little Debbie Snack Cakes. And a apple or orange and some carrot sticks. I wouldn’t touch the school slop. My mom worried I wasn’t eating and started packing me lunches. She soon got sick of it so at an early age I learned to make my own bloney samwichs. I was skinny as hell back then.

The Breakfast Sampler
Jan 1, 2006

superjew posted:

school food memories

I need to tell you this is like poetry, in that it touches a part of my younger soul.

SilvergunSuperman
Aug 7, 2010

We had pizza so greasy there'd be huge lakes of it, I've never seen anything like it before or since.

Pretty good, too.

Fluffy Bunnies
Jan 10, 2009

I had green beans once that had a rusty screw in it. You guys had real silverware? Wow. We had a plastic spork thing sometimes. The spork had really, really blunted ends. I assume that they wanted to keep us from shiving each other.

Crusty Nutsack
Apr 21, 2005

SUCK LASER, COPPERS

I have mostly fond memories of the terrible food

"lunch brunch" - french toast sticks! scrambled eggs! sausages! one of the best days

pizza - the usual rectangle stuff

taco pockets - taco meat and toppings, but in a pita pocket. pretty good, actually

"pork chop shaped patties" - some sort of chicken patty-like thing but made with pork (presumably)

The worst days were hamburger or hot dog days because while we generally had commercially made poo poo, the lunch ladies insisted on making the buns from scratch for some weird reason. So they were really dense and sour, ruining burgers and hot dogs, it was sad.

Then my 8th grade year my mom got the job as hot lunch program manager and actually started cooking mostly real food (and not goddamn buns), so then we had cool poo poo like a baked potato bar, cheesy garlic bread sticks with marinara sauce, french bread pizza, and chicken stew with egg noodles.

bird with big dick
Oct 21, 2015

Crazyeyes posted:

One day in middle school the cafeteria was giving out pudding cups work lunch and I sat down super excited to eat mine and it was filled with BBQ sauce. I was convinced it was this kid I didn't like that sat at our assigned table, but only came to find out years and years later it was actually my best friend and best man at my wedding who had eaten the pudding and replaced it with the BBQ.

Really shattered my world.

Wait until you find out he also slept with your wife.

bird with big dick
Oct 21, 2015

They added a baked potato bar I think my last year in HS and you just paid $2.50 or whatever for the potato and then you could add whatever toppings to it you wanted in any quantity so you’d see people with a baked potato with a half gallon of nacho cheese poured over it spilling off their plate and filling half their tray. I remember one of the toppings was cut up hot dogs in some kind of barbecue sauce which is a kind of hosed up topping for a baked potato imo.

Nigmaetcetera
Nov 17, 2004

borkborkborkmorkmorkmork-gabbalooins

sweet thursday posted:

One time Reginald neglected to cut the crust off of my Monte Cristo and I positively smacked him.

Reginald got what was coming to him.

I remember once in elementary school I asked the lunch ladies for the recipe for the chocolate peanut butter bars and they gave it to me and my mom made them and they were even better than the ones at school because my mom didn’t skimp on the chocolate like the lunch ladies did. I figured it was a no-bake recipe, but no, apparently cooking is necessary to make them. It took like a week and a half to eat them all because we didn’t scale down the recipe and were making enough for 300 hungry school kids.

There, my one good memory of school.

Miserable Maid
Apr 22, 2010

:minnie: Cat Army :minnie:

Sunswipe posted:

What the gently caress is any of this? Top left is sweetcorn, although I don't want to bet on whether it's passed through someone's digestive system yet, but I have no idea what the rest is.

Some kind of... Small pastry?

Monkey Fracas
Sep 11, 2010

...but then you get to the end and a gorilla starts throwing barrels at you!
Grimey Drawer
Pizza Boat

imagine a crude, thick, sorta-triangle-looking piece of bread with a teeeeny bit of sauce and provel-ish stuff sprinkled on top of it

superjew
Sep 5, 2007

No fair! You changed the outcome by measuring it!
I think I consumed 500 tetrahedrons of sorbet during my public school years.

bird with big dick
Oct 21, 2015

The yellow gravy was the best.

Flutieflakes017
Feb 16, 2012

only if you've been in the deepest valley can you ever know how magnificent it is to be on the highest mountain
What's the deal with airplane food?

The Breakfast Sampler
Jan 1, 2006

Monkey Fracas posted:

Pizza Boat

imagine a crude, thick, sorta-triangle-looking piece of bread with a teeeeny bit of sauce and provel-ish stuff sprinkled on top of it

oh yeah, I think we had something called taco boat which must have had the same DNA

Nigmaetcetera
Nov 17, 2004

borkborkborkmorkmorkmork-gabbalooins

Flutieflakes017 posted:

What's the deal with airplane food?

It has to be mass-produced for efficiency purposes, and the low-oxygen associated with high altitudes dulls tastes and decreases the body’s ability to differentiate between flavors. Thus, airplane food doesn’t taste all that great, no matter how much money they spend on it, which they won’t. There, solved once and forever.

Lister
Apr 23, 2004

Is anybody young enough to have eaten school food after the Michelle Obama nutrition rules were put in place? I know people were making GBS threads a brick when they got rolled back a few weeks ago but I don't actually have any idea if they lead to better lunches compared to the poo poo from the 90s and 00s.

bird with big dick
Oct 21, 2015

It means they’re allowed to squirt ketchup up your rear end in a top hat and legally say you’ve consumed a vegetable.

Bust Rodd
Oct 21, 2008

by VideoGames
I just ate a grey little cheeseburger and a frosty fruit lunch Snapple and I feel good as hell

Monkey Fracas
Sep 11, 2010

...but then you get to the end and a gorilla starts throwing barrels at you!
Grimey Drawer
the walking taco

the third forbidden Frito art...

Pennywise the Frown
May 10, 2010

Upset Trowel

Ugly In The Morning posted:

Why was that so good? It should be absolutely revolting but for some reason it hit some kind of “oh gently caress yes” switch in my brain.

I think partly because it resembled an actual meal a family would eat together. Even if it was bottom of the barrel quality.

School lunches are criminal. Jamie Oliver had it right but the US failed in trying to make school lunches healthier. You can't just mandate healthier food. You need to appropriate money for it. Funding for schools in the US is just terrible and the cost of non-garbage food is just too much that could go towards the football team.

Literally everything fed to us in school was what we learned we should not be eating. Cheeseburgers, hot dogs, pizza, etc. All of it. It's just a slap in the face to education. "Don't eat this stuff but we're not going to give you any other option than to eat this stuff unless you bring your own."

I'd go without lunch for 2-3 days to save up for a 6" subway sandwich they served in the school store.

gently caress school food. Something needs to be done about it.

Pennywise the Frown fucked around with this message at 00:31 on Feb 12, 2020

Lt Dan Ice Cream
Jul 29, 2006

Lipstick Apathy
I was working for Man Power one summer between like 8th and 9th grade and they had me waxing the school hall floors all day. My coworker and I got in the walk in freezer in the lunchroom and stole a whole box of those square pizza slices.

We sat in the teachers lounge and drat near cooked the whole box and watched soap operas.

The Bloop
Jul 5, 2004

by Fluffdaddy
I would eat the gently caress out of some 80s elementary school rectangle pizza

Inzombiac
Mar 19, 2007

PARTY ALL NIGHT

EAT BRAINS ALL DAY

The Breakfast Sampler posted:

they did cinnamon roll and chili day every friday where I grew up, and that was the universal favorite (i remember it actually being good)

but my white whale of school lunch was called the oven baked cheese, which was just cheese product between biscuity dough that they made on a huge sheet. there must have been some special government pipeline of that biscuit mix and subsidized cheese in the late 80's because i've never bought or seen anything that replicated it since

That's a cheese zombie!!!

Rad-daddio
Apr 25, 2017

sweet thursday posted:

lol classic Reginald....

The Dregs
Dec 29, 2005

MY TREEEEEEEE!
I used to work at an elementary school and they had the shittiest food. They were mandated to provide veggies, whole grains, etc, but weren't given the budget to make palatable. I remember these hard rear end sad wheat biscuits they gave to the kids in the morning. I guess it was a Michelle Obama thing? All I know is a little while after Trump got elected they switched to fluffy, delicious, white flour biscuits and it was like the little kids were eating candy for the first time. The breakfast that day was one of the funniest things I've ever seen.

Pennywise the Frown
May 10, 2010

Upset Trowel
I've never been to a school that offered breakfast.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Rad-daddio
Apr 25, 2017

The Dregs posted:

I used to work at an elementary school and they had the shittiest food. They were mandated to provide veggies, whole grains, etc, but weren't given the budget to make palatable. I remember these hard rear end sad wheat biscuits they gave to the kids in the morning. I guess it was a Michelle Obama thing? All I know is a little while after Trump got elected they switched to fluffy, delicious, white flour biscuits and it was like the little kids were eating candy for the first time. The breakfast that day was one of the funniest things I've ever seen.

I recall all those pics of sad school lunches after the Obama thing. I thought it was just conservatives and their spawn protesting against healthy food.

Was there really some merit to that? I seriously thought it was all faked.