Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

PersonFromPorlock
Jan 27, 2019

That's true!
I never got a hot lunch and always brought my own. I've no clear memory of any particular food, but I remember the milk. All of you talking about fast food and soda -- there was none of that in my schools nor was it allowed to be brought in. You could have water, milk, or chocolate milk. (Breakfast, I don't know. It was free and only for the poor kids. I assume there was juice involved.)

The milk came in flattish bags with a sharpened straw and you had to stab it quickly or it would spill everywhere. You could then push down on the bag and make a tiny milk volcano. That was discouraged but never punished. Using the milk bag as a gun, though, would get you suspended for a week and I rarely witnessed it happen.

Chocolate milk came in little cartons until... 9th grade or sometime around then. The district must have found a source for bagged chocolate milk at that point and they switched to it.

Funny, I've never seen bagged milk outside of a school context.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

empty sea
Jul 17, 2011

gonna saddle my seahorse and float out to the sunset
When I was in middle school my stepmom packed a lunch. It was your basic CapriSun, maybe some fruit, a bag of chips and a pbj. Of course I had braces then so it was basically all an exercise in torture. Even biting down on a soft, soggy pbj is excruciating after you've had your braces tightened. To this day I frequently use my hands to rip off bites of things because of the pain I had then.

What I mainly remember about school lunches is my dad handing me a $5 at the beginning of the week, but the lunches were $1.60 a pop and having to beg him for his pocket change just so I could eat something for breakfast and also something the rest of the week. gently caress no I didn't get breakfast at home. Not even poptarts. Breakfast was for the weekends when he was home, bacon, fried eggs, biscuits and gravy. Breakfast wasn't for me.

I still cannot relate to kids who have their parents wake them up and make them breakfast because for me school mornings were me waking up on my own, feeding the horses, then walking down to wait for the bus. Then grabbing something from the cafeteria like a chocolate chip muffin, but only maybe, just counting change to make sure I could eat lunch that day.

interwhat
Jul 23, 2005

it's kickin in dude
My best memory of school lunch was chicken nugget day. They always gave us mini bread rolls and mashed potatoes but I never liked the gravy. I'd make little nugget sliders with a rectangle of butter spread on the bun, a nugget, and a dollop of mashed potato. It was a thread of joy in my generally negative day from middle school to senior year.

I'm 31 with a 5 year old, and my experience through the first half of kindergarten, is that i can honestly say that the school lunch option is a lot better than what I'm willing to go through with packing a lunch so I just keep his lunch account topped up and hope for the best. little man wasn't even eating the lunch I packed for him so as long as he can tell me what he ate, I'm good.

Shroomie
Jul 31, 2008

When they opened my high school in the mid-90's my sister went there and it had a Taco Bell on campus and vending machines that only sold Surge soda.

Then when I got there in the early 00's that decided that was all bad and I was stuck eating something they called chicken parm, but it was just a microwave chicken patty with some red stuff on it and the soda machines only had Powerade.

Riatsala
Nov 20, 2013

All Princesses are Tyrants

When I started elementary School in the early 90s we had a soda machines in the main hallway. By the time I left in the late 90s soda had been deemed Bad For You and the machines only carried fruit juice adjacents like Fruitopia, which was Good For You.

I don't remember a lot about school lunch except that we always had the option of getting a salad instead of whatever was being served. The salad was complete dogshit, though; iceberg lettuce, american cheese and ham cubes, soggy croutons, way too much watery ranch dressing and it all came in a plastic bowl that was sealed with really smelly, chemically plastic wrap.

Crusty Nutsack
Apr 21, 2005

SUCK LASER, COPPERS

I just remembered that my grade school always had a platter of butter pats that you could help yourself to. We would take so much butter and smear it with our thumbs (no knives!) on any kind of sandwich and melt multiple pats in mashed potatoes to make a little butter lake

So fat

Fluffy Bunnies
Jan 10, 2009

We had cooking class in elementary school and we made lunch for ourselves every now and then. One of the recipes was cheese pie. It was like 4-5 lbs of shredded cheese, a few eggs, milk, and some flour in a pie pan and cooked until it kinda solidified.

We also made pizza cups. You put a refrigerated biscuit in a muffin cup, fill it with sauce, cheese, and toppings, and bake the whole thing whatever the can says to bake the biscuits for. It's never great, but it works out.

Gay Weed Dad
Jul 12, 2016

cool dude, flyin' high

Pastry of the Year posted:

oh, you mean ITALIAN DUNKERS :discourse:

This is close, but you can see that it has additional sides so it can actually be considered a meal.

Methanar
Sep 26, 2013

by the sex ghost
I often ate nothing for lunch OP because I'd rather go to the library and read than go to the big open eating space that had too many people.

VinNYC82
Jan 26, 2004

bird with big dick posted:

Close. White bread and ketchup.

symbolic
Nov 2, 2014

Lister posted:

Is anybody young enough to have eaten school food after the Michelle Obama nutrition rules were put in place? I know people were making GBS threads a brick when they got rolled back a few weeks ago but I don't actually have any idea if they lead to better lunches compared to the poo poo from the 90s and 00s.

Graduated middle school in '11 (K-8 Catholic school, technically), high school in '15. I don't remember much about the actual meals before the program, though I think that's because...they never changed? Through my vague memories, I remember the soggy chicken patty sandwiches, the microwaved personal Tony's pizzas, the Salisbury steaks doused in lukewarm gravy, and so on pretty much staying the same, down to the mishmash of sides and tiny cartons of chocolate milk. The only thing that I remember changing was that before the program, there used to be an additional lunch station in the cafeteria itself where you could buy something extra. For example, I think Tuesdays you could get a baked potato with whatever toppings your heart desired, but Fridays was a whole assortment of different ice cream bars and popsicles that you saved all of your pocket change for. Then that went away all of the sudden and in its place, every day, was a salad bar that I remember maybe three or four kids from my grade ever touching.

High school was a different story, though probably about as effective. While going out to grab fast food was no-go (probably because you'd have to cross the busiest road in the entire area and God help the school district if anyone got hit by a car walking there), you actually had a choice of what you could get for lunch now, be it a slice of 'za with any assortment of toppings, a greasy panini sandwich, nachos piled high with ground beef and slightly plastic-y melted cheese, those deep-fried cheese sticks that everyone would pile in for, and so on. Of course, the catch was that you had to get a side of veggies, fruit, and I think dairy other than milk before you could pay and go eat...which was easily circumvented via a carton of orange juice, unsalted french fries, and string cheese...and nothing stopped you from going back and paying for another slice of pizza or another panini without needing to purchase additional "healthy" sides. At least they posted the nutritional information in a tiny sign at every station, and replaced all the vending machine contents with whole grain snacks and Snapple?

For comparison, my younger sister attends that same K-8 school and they get Pizza Hut once a week, along with the resurrected Friday ice cream station. And from the couple of times I've visited to help with a school event there, there's no salad bar in sight.

ClamdestineBoyster
Aug 15, 2015
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!
We got 14 minutes for lunch in middle school. Employers can actually get sued for that lol.

jokes
Dec 20, 2012

Uh... Kupo?

Gotta get back to work. We have quotas to fill, quotas of kids who graduate high school thinking the Trail of Tears was just a simple exodus of a couple indigenous people, with governmental support.

MyChemicalImbalance
Sep 15, 2007

Keep on smilin'

:unsmith:

BMX Ninja posted:

Northern Ireland lunchroom food spoilered

loving quesadillas? We had sausage rolls, cheesy sodas, burgers, sandwiches and a "hot option" that was similar to the ones you listed and rotated all the time.

I also went to school during the Jamie Oliver thing when they took out all the soft drinks and chocolate/sweets from the vending machines and replaced them with bottled water and "healthy" snacks, and only served fried food once a week. Lotta fatties got annoyed but by that time we could leave at lunch and eat whatever. Looking back it was probably a good thing but Jamie Oliver is such a massive dingus I'll never give him credit.

Pennywise the Frown
May 10, 2010

Upset Trowel

Methanar posted:

I often ate nothing for lunch OP because I'd rather go to the library and read than go to the big open eating space that had too many people.

Pennywise the Frown
May 10, 2010

Upset Trowel

ClamdestineBoyster posted:

We got 14 minutes for lunch in middle school. Employers can actually get sued for that lol.

Yeah I remember having to hurry my rear end up to lunch. It was maybe 15-20 minutes max. We also had about maybe 1,000 kids in my school so when the bell rang you literally had to push your way through the hallways to get to your class which I think we had maybe 4 minutes for.

MyChemicalImbalance posted:

Lotta fatties got annoyed

Good. One thing that really upsets me is seeing fat kids. No child should be fat unless their parents are pieces of poo poo.

Ugly In The Morning
Jul 1, 2010
Pillbug

Pennywise the Frown posted:

Good. One thing that really upsets me is seeing fat kids. No child should be fat unless their parents are pieces of poo poo.

We had a kid in my 3rd grade class who weighed, I poo poo you not, two hundo.

Pennywise the Frown
May 10, 2010

Upset Trowel
I believe it's the parent's responsibility to care for their child and not contribute to an early death.

Also, American school lunches probably contribute to that.

I'm 36, 5'11" and 207.2lbs. I'm losing weight because I'm way overweight. First goal is 180, then we'll see where it goes from there.

Bust Rodd
Oct 21, 2008

by VideoGames
Poor parents cannot always afford healthy food, or spend money for children to participate in physical activities like sports teams. Unless you think parents need to come home from work and spend a couple hours running there kids around the neighborhood, doing laps and running up and down the Rocky steps I don’t really know what you want them to do.

Also some kids are just fat. Like as a body type thing.

Basically don’t fat shame children.

Edit: I say this as a recovering fatty who spent his entire childhood obese and works out almost every day as an adult. There is nothing my mother could’ve possibly done to curb my eating, it was depression based because my dad died and I did it compulsively, kids are very rarely super fat because they just sit in their room eating, it’s commonly due to other factors.

Pennywise the Frown
May 10, 2010

Upset Trowel
This will probably be a huge derail so I'll stop it now.

I think schools have a duty to educate and provide healthy food to their students.

Mr. Bones
Jan 2, 2011

ain't no law says a skeleton can't play the blues
I remember one time in high school the cafeteria served "fish and chips"!

It was 3-4 fish sticks and a handful of plain Lay's potato chips

I don't know what I was expecting from a public high school in Nebraska, but it wasn't... that.

Inzombiac
Mar 19, 2007

PARTY ALL NIGHT

EAT BRAINS ALL DAY

My highschool had a Dairy Queen next door and for about $3 you could get a burger, fries and a drink.

It was great because the school didn't have staggered lunches so DQ knew exactly when a flood of teenagers would swarm them. Just toss your money down, grab a bag and you're good!

JonathonSpectre
Jul 23, 2003

I replaced the Shermatar and text with this because I don't wanna see racial slurs every time you post what the fuck

Soiled Meat
I have been laughing at that loving "Taco Patty" picture for at least ten minutes. I'll finally stop laughing, and then sort of shake my head and go, "naw, man, you can't have REALLY seen that," and then go back and look at it and yes, someone just busted an (extremely small) institutional meat patty into two pieces and then placed them in the titanic hollow of a regular taco shell and I just start laughing again.

Where did this picture come from? Was there a photographer? Did they get paid? What kind of lighting was used to make everything look so horrendous? Why were these pictures considered acceptable at all?

I wish to see them all. I wish to see specimen CPTC (Cheesy Pop Tart Crusts) and WTHD (White Trash Hot Dog) and all the rest. I wish to see them all. I wish to revel in them.

Yuns
Aug 19, 2000

There is an idea of a Yuns, some kind of abstraction, but there is no real me, only an entity, something illusory, and though I can hide my cold gaze and you can shake my hand and feel flesh gripping yours and maybe you can even sense our lifestyles are probably comparable: I simply am not there.
sorry deleted my post as it was too off topic.

Yuns fucked around with this message at 01:21 on Feb 14, 2020

jokes
Dec 20, 2012

Uh... Kupo?

The goal of American public school food is:

1) Be Cheap
2) Be as profitable as possible for the contractor
3) Don’t starve the kids

The problem is that if they followed 1 and 2 as much as they could, the kids would probably just be given half an old tomato and the kids would not eat it, causing them to violate 3. So instead they sell “taco patty” and other Grease Things knowing it fucks the kids’ brains up into eating the things while also being as cheap as possible for the schools while also being as profitable as possible for the contractors. Satisfying all 3.

So, Taco Patty.

Real Mean Queen
Jun 2, 2004

Zesty.

My primary memory of elementary school food was a self-serve jug of ketchup, always labeled “catsup,” that consistently had been stored in such a way that the ketchup had little shards of ice in it.

The middle school food was so bad that you would beg for money to pay for a microwaved pepperoni stick.

I know my high school had to have had a cafeteria, but when I think back about it I don’t remember ever seeing it and I can’t think of where in the building it would have been.

One time I when I was very young I went to another school for a field trip and saw a kid eating just a dry brick of ramen with the seasoning dumped on it and I was horrified.

Robo Reagan
Feb 12, 2012

by Fluffdaddy

PersonFromPorlock posted:

I never got a hot lunch and always brought my own. I've no clear memory of any particular food, but I remember the milk. All of you talking about fast food and soda -- there was none of that in my schools nor was it allowed to be brought

my school did this too. the galaxy brains said soda has too much sugar so they replaced the soda machines with..... gatorade machines.

you might be able to chalk that up to bribes from big g but my town is too irrelevant for anything like that

Pastry of the Year
Apr 12, 2013

JonathonSpectre posted:

I have been laughing at that loving "Taco Patty" picture for at least ten minutes.

condensed to its essence for avatar purposes

JonathonSpectre posted:

I wish to see them all.

just call me Richard Simmons because I am a DreamMaker

mostlygray
Nov 1, 2012

BURY ME AS I LIVED, A FREE MAN ON THE CLUTCH
When I went to grade school in ND, everything was home-made except for the pizzas which were frozen and rare. Every meal was served with 1/2 a stewed tomato, a vegetable, and often a salad.

In Minneapolis, the food was dreadful. I'm pretty sure it was day over food from fast food places. I ate a microwave burrito almost every single day. The mac and cheese was glue. The sliders were soaked in grease. Even when they had potato chips, you could pour liquid oil out of the chip bag.

When we moved to northern MN, everything became good. Twice a week we had bone-in backed and breaded chicken breasts with Bev's homemade buns fresh from the oven. The Salisbury Steak was always good. I don't remember anything there that wasn't good.

Plus, there were no concessions so you couldn't live off junk food which was nice.

JK Fresco
Jul 5, 2019
The federal regulations are weirdly strict and it's apparently very hard to meet them since they were set in tge 80s when they had weird ideas about nutrition. Especially the fat content which is set very low. So there's tricks like adding sugar to everything so that the total calories from fat goes down since sugar has no fat in it. That kind of bullshit

Monkey Fracas
Sep 11, 2010

...but then you get to the end and a gorilla starts throwing barrels at you!
Grimey Drawer

oh god I can still taste the lovely bean/meat? paste combined with the weirdly too-thick sorta-flaky sorta-wet shell of the whole thing that isn't a tortilla

I would still eat it

skooma512
Feb 8, 2012

You couldn't grok my race car, but you dug the roadside blur.
LAUSD school food was actually pretty good.

We had a grande burger. Exactly what it implies, big ol beef disk on bread with cheese, and a paper cup of salad to toss on top. What else do you need? Glorious. The chalupa, hard corn shell with cheese and I presume beef, with the taco sauce they had. If you've heard the Aquabats, you have heard the word of our commodity pizza.

Dominos was in my middle school cafeteria. It was more expensive, so it was a rarer treat. A subversive pleasure.

The coffee cake. Stuff of legends, people have posted the recipe. There is a bakery near my work that has it. I went close to mad trying to find it on the outside but they just can't get the spices right.

The chicken patty sandwich. It's the El Nino of 97 and you're in 3rd grade. You're in a damp auditorium and you have one of those steaming in your hand, what else do you need?

remote control carnivore
May 7, 2009
I went to a creepy rightwing evangelical private school K-3rd, so I brought bag lunches during that period of my life. In 4th grade I started going to public school, which was cultural shock in a lot of ways. I can still remember being in line at the cafeteria on my first day and everyone is hyping the gently caress out of pizza day. I remember being grossed out as gently caress, tossing it out and never eating there again.

Later that year we moved to Colorado and my elementary school was out in the middle of the sticks. All the lunch ladies were all farmer’s wives and the food was awesome. I remember getting muffins baked in ice cream cones for breakfast. Those were the poo poo. My middle school had an actual salad bar (~1993) so that was usually what I ate. In retrospect I’m shocked that we had a salad bar at that time and place, but I suppose Colorado mountain towns are a little different.

High school food sucked, and I dropped out in 9th grade anyways. But at least we had the $.25 Surge machine, and no one bothered us at the smoking area.

Oddly enough I’m a chef now at a private college. Uh, the food is not even comparable.

JonathonSpectre
Jul 23, 2003

I replaced the Shermatar and text with this because I don't wanna see racial slurs every time you post what the fuck

Soiled Meat

Pastry of the Year posted:

condensed to its essence for avatar purposes

just call me Richard Simmons because I am a DreamMaker

You... you are a true friend.

So no joke I opened this tab to reply while opening the gallery in another and it's been like fifteen minutes of just solid cracking the gently caress up before coming back here to finish this.

I was going to recommend checking out a particular specimen but God drat they are all just so spectacular. I especially love the "log flume" lunchbox in specimen PL and the playful impishness of specimen BC "sticking its tongue out at you." Also a fun game for kids, print out pictures of specimens CFBS and CFPS and play a fun "spot the differences" game. Also what the gently caress is going on with specimen CS. What's going on there.

Pennywise the Frown
May 10, 2010

Upset Trowel
Photos of school lunches from around the world

This is the American example which I'd have to say is extremely generous.

Here's Italy.

This is just one article I've found on this. I've seen a few others I think a while back. It might be embellished a little bit, it's HuffPo. There's a Business Insider article with more realistic lunches.

Pennywise the Frown fucked around with this message at 23:45 on Feb 14, 2020

Real Mean Queen
Jun 2, 2004

Zesty.

JonathonSpectre posted:

You... you are a true friend.

So no joke I opened this tab to reply while opening the gallery in another and it's been like fifteen minutes of just solid cracking the gently caress up before coming back here to finish this.

I was going to recommend checking out a particular specimen but God drat they are all just so spectacular. I especially love the "log flume" lunchbox in specimen PL and the playful impishness of specimen BC "sticking its tongue out at you." Also a fun game for kids, print out pictures of specimens CFBS and CFPS and play a fun "spot the differences" game. Also what the gently caress is going on with specimen CS. What's going on there.

I’m curious about that object behind the Chicken Fryz

JK Fresco
Jul 5, 2019
http://fedupwithlunch.com/2010/01/day-1-spaghetti-with-meat-sauce/

Pennywise the Frown
May 10, 2010

Upset Trowel
Most of the food I had in elementary school came in those tin pans. They didn't have sealed plastic on it though. Aluminum foil. You could roll the whole thing up in a ball when you were done.

Ugly In The Morning
Jul 1, 2010
Pillbug

Pennywise the Frown posted:

Most of the food I had in elementary school came in those tin pans. They didn't have sealed plastic on it though. Aluminum foil. You could roll the whole thing up in a ball when you were done.

How often did kids whip the balls at each other instead of throwing them out?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Pennywise the Frown
May 10, 2010

Upset Trowel

Ugly In The Morning posted:

How often did kids whip the balls at each other instead of throwing them out?

It happened but not very often. We had an actual Stop Light in our cafeteria that would measure the sound and if we got too loud it'd hit red and go off.