Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Lamech
Nov 20, 2001

Soiled Meat

D34THROW posted:

If the administration got even the slightest hint that we were in possession of any TCG cards they would be confiscated. So I made my own and managed to get a whole 2 other kids playing it :downs:

We just went for it, and said it was a math game. Then the jocks wanted to play poker, and pointed at us as being allowed to play cards. Magic crew moved to the art room for lunch, problem solved :smug:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

feedmegin
Jul 30, 2008

RC and Moon Pie posted:

Something like this, but flat against the wall. I'm sure it was manually controlled, but it was high up on the wall and it was the 1980s, so I don't know what the mechanism might have been.

People had electricity back in the 80s you know

Antigravitas
Dec 8, 2019

Die Rettung fuer die Landwirte:

D34THROW posted:

If the administration got even the slightest hint that we were in possession of any TCG cards they would be confiscated. So I made my own and managed to get a whole 2 other kids playing it :downs:

Man, this look across the pond is weird.

We played https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Skat_(card_game) during breaks. It is the most vicious card game I can think of. Friendships ended over this. There was no end of drama because some numbskull didn't count cards correctly and cost the game or underplayed their hand and and made winning against someone playing Null impossible.

None of the officials at the school cared.

d0s
Jun 28, 2004

I don't remember any prohibition on MTG (which I was sort of into, also around '96) or actual playing card games as long as no gambling was involved and it wasn't like, in the middle of class. This was in public school in blue counties though, I don't doubt it would be verboten in jesus world

Meme Poker Party
Sep 1, 2006

by Azathoth

d0s posted:

I don't remember any prohibition on MTG (which I was sort of into, also around '96) or actual playing card games as long as no gambling was involved and it wasn't like, in the middle of class. This was in public school in blue counties though, I don't doubt it would be verboten in jesus world

When I was in middle school they banned all trading cards games. Magic, Pokemon, Star Wars, whatever. But not because of any moral panic concerns. They banned them because there were too many disputes between kids over cards being stolen.

d0s
Jun 28, 2004

Chomp8645 posted:

When I was in middle school they banned all trading cards games. Magic, Pokemon, Star Wars, whatever. But not because of any moral panic concerns. They banned them because there were too many disputes between kids over cards being stolen.

That happened with pogs in elementary school, but when I was in middle school TCGs were just beginning to become a thing so it was only turbonerds into them and nobody cared (pokemon didn't exist except as a japan-only gameboy game that I read about in Wired magazine as being the new cyberpunk Japanese fad). Thinking about it yeah I'm sure the attitudes changed once it became a huge percentage of kids into them

D34THROW
Jan 29, 2012

RETAIL RETAIL LISTEN TO ME BITCH ABOUT RETAIL
:rant:
My SAT math prep teacher literally did not give a gently caress. He was the football team coach and gave us one and only one worksheet to do a day during a whole hour class; this took us maybe ten minutes to do, so the rest of the time was spent playing Bullshit or Egyptian Ratfuck, or whatever we called it (I think it was actually Slapjack).

I think our school just didn't want the distraction.

Bust Rodd
Oct 21, 2008

by VideoGames
I remember when I was in High School we had homeroom, lunch, and like 8 periods a day, meaning we had like 6 classes at 40 minutes a pop, and the year after I graduated they swapped to block scheduling and now kids only had 4 classes a day but they were all 90 minutes and that’s when I realized education is basically made up and they’ve been completely winging it the whole time.

jokes
Dec 20, 2012

Uh... Kupo?

Wait 'till you read about how kids are taught math nowadays!

Bust Rodd
Oct 21, 2008

by VideoGames

jokes posted:

Wait 'till you read about how kids are taught math nowadays!

While I’m not completely on the “common core is a horrible idea and a bad way to teach math” train I do think trying to basically switch the entire country over to teaching math that way without really training anyone how to teach math that way was a hilarious cock up. But I’d love to hear GrossBurrito’s input on common core since they said they teach math.

I do remember a metric truckload of Facebook posts to the tune of “I hate being a Doctor who can’t help his fourth grade daughter with their math homework”

Ugly In The Morning
Jul 1, 2010
Pillbug
That poo poo is how I do math in my head. It looks like madness written out because, well, that’s not how you do math when you have paper. But if you don’t, breaking it down into chunks like that is how you can do it fast and accurate.

jokes
Dec 20, 2012

Uh... Kupo?

Yeah it's not that it's bad or dumb but it's just a jarring change. Like I had 7 periods in the day and now the schools near me have 3 which is, I guess, block scheduling. It's probably better to do it that way but it's jarring.

I apparently do common core math in my head, too, (I do not know how it works) but writing it out makes no sense to me no matter what. If I'm adding or subtracting crazy poo poo like 1174 and 2393 I just separate the "big" numbers then add it together, negative numbers welcome. (1000+2000) + (100+300) + (70+90) + (3+4). This looks absurd to me.

I multiply crazy poo poo like 346*233 by just not finishing it, and saying "plus change"-- I also work in business consulting, and usually have access to a financial calculator if I need to do real math. 346*200 + (33*346) = 69200 plus change, and if I need to get closer I can add in 30*300=9000, so 78200 plus change. Again this looks absurd on paper.

I don't know how division would work but only psychopaths do crazy division in their heads or on paper anyways.

jokes fucked around with this message at 17:40 on Feb 18, 2020

Ugly In The Morning
Jul 1, 2010
Pillbug

jokes posted:

I don't know how division would work but only psychopaths do crazy division in their heads or on paper anyways.

When I was an engineering major my calculator crapped out on me mid-exam and I had to try to divide a five digit number by a three digit number and realized I had completely forgotten how to do long division by hand.

ArbitraryC
Jan 28, 2009
Pick a number, any number
Pillbug

Bust Rodd posted:

While I’m not completely on the “common core is a horrible idea and a bad way to teach math” train I do think trying to basically switch the entire country over to teaching math that way without really training anyone how to teach math that way was a hilarious cock up. But I’d love to hear GrossBurrito’s input on common core since they said they teach math.

I do remember a metric truckload of Facebook posts to the tune of “I hate being a Doctor who can’t help his fourth grade daughter with their math homework”

I private tutor as kind of a beer money/volunteer effort and math is the main subject parents seem to want help for their kids with because they’re unfamiliar with how it’s taught nowadays.

People seem to think common core is some kind of wizardry because they don’t really get it, but let me just say if you as an adult don’t really get it you probably don’t really understand math that well. The new approach to learning rote math is great and it’s basically what the smart math nerd kids were already doing in their head back when they learned it the old way. It’s basically teaching the concepts of math that can be used as simple techniques in lieu of pure memorization. People ask me how I can do problems most people need a calculator for in my head so quickly, and it’s because I use the same techniques kids are learning now I just sorta naturally developed them myself back in the day.

Bust Rodd
Oct 21, 2008

by VideoGames
I’m the kid who failed out of math because I couldn’t ever show my work. I always got the right answers because I’d just look at the page and my brain would barf up the answers. After years of feeling like Math class was actively trying to stifle me and slow my brain down I just stopped applying myself completely my jr. year or high school because I was apparently bad at math despite always getting the answers correctly.

That sounds an awful lot like what you’re describing. Maybe Common Core would’ve been better for me?

Legin Noslen
Sep 9, 2004
Fortified with Rhiboflavin
It's not that I don't get this common core math stuff, it's just that as a lazy person the idea of doing more things sounds worse than doing less things.

Ugly In The Morning
Jul 1, 2010
Pillbug

Bust Rodd posted:

I’m the kid who failed out of math because I couldn’t ever show my work. I always got the right answers because I’d just look at the page and my brain would barf up the answers. After years of feeling like Math class was actively trying to stifle me and slow my brain down I just stopped applying myself completely my jr. year or high school because I was apparently bad at math despite always getting the answers correctly.

That sounds an awful lot like what you’re describing. Maybe Common Core would’ve been better for me?

My eighth grade algebra class made us draw out counters for the problems. I was a turbo nerd that had been doing algebra since third grade, so I said gently caress that and didn’t, and lost soooo much credit but at least I kept my pride. Mind you, I was still showing my work, I just wasn’t drawing little circles. Drawing counters, in eighth grade, what the gently caress.

rotinaj
Sep 5, 2008

Fun Shoe
I don’t know why, but my high school had two lines for lunch and a window. Line 1 was your standard garbage lunch like everyone is talking about in the rest of the thread, line 2 would do soup and a sandwich, which was what I got almost every day, the window sold pretzels and candy and fries. Naturally, most people thought they were getting away with something getting the honestly kinda lovely fries, but the soup was pretty okay and the sandwiches were solid.

That high school has been torn down now and replaced with a huge new building that looks like a mall. I wonder if the food still sucks.

jokes
Dec 20, 2012

Uh... Kupo?

Ugly In The Morning posted:

My eighth grade algebra class made us draw out counters for the problems. I was a turbo nerd that had been doing algebra since third grade, so I said gently caress that and didn’t, and lost soooo much credit but at least I kept my pride. Mind you, I was still showing my work, I just wasn’t drawing little circles. Drawing counters, in eighth grade, what the gently caress.

I also would lose a stupid amount of points for dumb drawing things, or dumb interceding things like not crossing out numbers during long division or drawing FOIL arrows (which is still absurd). Not boxing the final answer was my main gently caress-up. Listen I spent like 30 minutes writing out a bunch of bullshit work for an answer I got 25 minutes ago, and I lose a point because I forget to box the final answer? Suck my dick.

d0s
Jun 28, 2004

I was one of those "I hate math" people all through school, and it wasn't until I got out and tried to teach myself that I realized I just hated the way math was taught, and math teachers, and that math was actually pretty cool and easy. They seemed to make everything overcomplicated and painful/repetitive on purpose, like a punishment. This was way before common core

ANUSTART
Jun 26, 2013

ur jiri3-pax(PAD)-ra2 al-tukur2?-re
gu-du-ni an-na-ab-be2
a-ra-/ab-gig-ga\-[(X)]-e-ce

- Wisdom of the ages.
Weirdly I have fomd memories of school breakfasts. I guess they were harder to mess up.

ANUSTART
Jun 26, 2013

gu-du-ni an-na-ab-be2

- Wisdom of the ages.
three uniform reheated pancakes

Ugly In The Morning
Jul 1, 2010
Pillbug

d0s posted:

I was one of those "I hate math" people all through school, and it wasn't until I got out and tried to teach myself that I realized I just hated the way math was taught, and math teachers, and that math was actually pretty cool and easy. They seemed to make everything overcomplicated and painful/repetitive on purpose, like a punishment. This was way before common core

Same, I had maybe one good math teacher, and the rest sucked pretty hard. When I got to calculus in college it was easier because it’s all graphs at the core of it, and I can manipulate those concepts in my head way better than laboriously writing out a dozen steps. The professors/TA’s were still pretty awful though.

I liked the breakfasts at school because it was always just bagels they had shipped in from a pretty good bulk place (Rockland Bakery fuckin’ rules) and the less effort the school put in the better. Same reason I liked the 35 cent egg salad sandwich compared to the hot lunches.

ANUSTART
Jun 26, 2013

gu-du-ni an-na-ab-be2

- Wisdom of the ages.
foil lid juice.....

jokes
Dec 20, 2012

Uh... Kupo?

ANUSTART posted:

three uniform reheated pancakes

School pancakes, like all pancakes, are very easy to make as uniform products and the inputs are so easy to get they remain a top-tier budget choice for feeding hundreds.

The problem is if they decide to apply syrup FOR you, which is when it gets soggy and lovely.

Methanar
Sep 26, 2013

by the sex ghost
Algebra is easy.

Probability and statistics is total bullshit though.

Sex Skeleton
Aug 16, 2018

For when lonely nights turn bonely
The children are drunk with the freedom of applying their own syrup. They thirst. They thirst for the blood of principals. We must put a stop to this harmful practice of giving the children syrup freedom. Only by controlling the syrup do we contain the masses.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

D34THROW
Jan 29, 2012

RETAIL RETAIL LISTEN TO ME BITCH ABOUT RETAIL
:rant:
I remember one teacher who gave even less of a gently caress than my math SAT prep teacher. Seventh grade algebra.

- At least a dozen times, he put on a movie and went to sleep while we did those plot-the-graph-points-and-connect-the-dots things.
- We strongly suspected his morning Mountain Dew was spiked.
- Through the grapevine, he threw a book at a student and shoved a desk hard enough to put a hole in the wall.
- He once left for an ENTIRE CLASS PERIOD and came back with a single Boston Kreme loving donut. Only supervision was the open door to the next door classroom.
- He was supposedly supposed to pitch for the Cincinnati Reds until he tore his ACL.
- Watched him and his 6'3" try to intimidate my former drill sergeant 5'7" dad. Guess who backed down.
- Oh, and he clipped his motherfucking toenails during class.

This guy was an all around assfuck.