Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

a cyborg mug
Mar 8, 2010

Hello and welcome back to The Best, a monthly thread where we discuss a single pro wrestling move that just happens to be the best. This month's move was my favorite move when I was a kid and still rules a bunch: THE CHOKESLAM

The chokeslam is a simple but brutal-looking move. First you need to take the wind out of your opponent by grabbing a hold of their throat, ie. the "choke" part of the chokeslam. This is a highly tactical maneuver and a crucial part of the move. You then lift them up (usually grabbing them by their torso/waist with your other hand) and then toss them onto their back onto the mat. I believe this part is known as the "slam" in the industry.

The move looks the best when done from maximum height, which is likely one of the reasons it's mostly found in the movesets of tall wrestlers who are able to make the move look dramatic.

However, there have been some notable smaller wrestlers known to use the chokeslam, Hurricane Helms likely being the most well-known one.

The move is simple enough that there isn't that much variation to be found. Some wrestlers, however, just have a knack for making it look good, like Kane, at least when he was younger. I think it's because he didn't seem to give much of a poo poo about how his opponent landed (see above). In that way I guess the chokeslam is much like the powerbomb, another move that looks better the less of a poo poo you give about the unfortunate dude taking it. Another example of this is Loud Shouting Man Lance Archer's excellent chokeslam. He lifts a dude as high as humanly possible and then just tosses them into the planetary core.

An actual variation is the chokeslam where the chokeslammer lifts the opponent up and then pushes them down with all of their might, landing on their own knee/knees in the process. At least Big Show and The Undertaker used to do this. Sometimes it looks good, sometimes it looks like rear end. By the way, it is loving hard to find good gifs of Big Show doing chokeslams for some reason. Most of them are ruined by WWE's dogshit camera work.

Of course, if you're powerful enough, you can even use both of your hands to execute a double chokeslam on two opponents.

Oh dear!

There is also the extremely rare reverse chokeslam where you grab the enemy by their neck and throw them on their stomach. I personally do not like it but perhaps someone could pull it off.

Finally, there is a forbidden black magic variant: The hands-free chokeslam. This move is highly illegal and you are not allowed to use it.

Looking at this post I see that I've nearly exclusively posted WWE wrestlers here. That's because I honestly don't know too many people outside of WWE who use a chokeslam. Maybe you have some good chokeslams from outside of WWE to show the thread!

Previous The Best threads:

The Best Vol. 5: Eye Poke
The Best Vol. 4: German Suplex
The Best Vol. 3: Lariat
The Best Vol. 2: Powerbomb
The Best Vol. 1: Dropkick

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

forkboy84
Jun 13, 2012

Corgis love bread. And Puro

I will try to find as many 911 clips as I can because his chokeslam was all he had but it was pretty darn good.

Dacap
Jul 8, 2008

I've been involved in a number of cults, both as a leader and a follower.

You have more fun as a follower. But you make more money as a leader.

You should’ve included the inventor of the move, ABRAHAM LINCOLN

https://twitter.com/WWEChrisSharpe/status/993128321964740608?s=20

DJExile
Jun 28, 2007

lmao that magic chokeslam loving ruuuules. God bless the ref selling it

mkay0
Nov 7, 2003

I crawled the earth, but now I'm higher
2010, watch it go to fire
The best chokeslams are taken, not given. Brock taking them is my favorite

Numero6
Oct 10, 2012

ここは地の果て 流されて俺
今日もさすらい 涙も涸れる
ブルーゲイル
Time to crush a lovely person:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=aKABblKDu-4

a cyborg mug
Mar 8, 2010

God drat that is a good rear end chokeslam. Plus The Giant starting a match with a dropkick

a cyborg mug
Mar 8, 2010

mkay0 posted:

The best chokeslams are taken, not given. Brock taking them is my favorite

Yeah, it's definitely a move that is probably more than 50% the guy taking it. You need to be able to jump up high to get that maximum height and that sweet sweet stalling in the air factor. Some extra panicky wriggling also helps. It is however down to the chokeslammer to make it seem like they're driving the guy into the depths of hell with the move

Davros1
Jul 19, 2007

You've got to admit, you are kind of implausible

Bad chokeslams: Always hated Razor Ramon/Scott Hall's.

Ishin
Dec 31, 2008

~the animatronic spirit of
so many forgotten waves
Worst chokeslam of all time was Nash pinning AJ Styles on a TNA ppv with one out of nowhere.

Benne
Sep 2, 2011

STOP DOING HEROIN
If you want cool chokeslams from non-WWE guys, here is Luchasaurus trying to end Joey Janela's life (and almost succeeding)

Jerusalem
May 20, 2004

Would you be my new best friends?

One of my favorite chokeslams ever is one of the worst ever, from Undertaker/Hogan where Hogan does not go up AT ALL and Taker pauses, you see him lean in and whisper something in Hogan's ear, and then Hogan goes up as best he can the second time. Taker probably told him,"Come on man, the chokeslam!" but I like to think he said,"Either you're jumping or I'm taking you up legit :mad:" :allears:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=anKWu5QW8TE

It really demonstrates how much the chokeslam relies on the other guy playing ball.

HulkaMatt
Feb 14, 2006

BIG BICEPS SHOHEI

he didn't exactly do many amazing looking ones but I would like to give a shout out to akira taue in this thread, who had several different chokeslam related moves

Gumball Gumption
Jan 7, 2012

Chokeslams look best when the person taking it makes no effort to do a back bump and just let's their body get loving hurled into the Earth.

SatoshiMiwa
May 6, 2007

Always been partial to Akira Taue's Choke Slam

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=mEXsby9BDQM

oldpainless
Oct 30, 2009

This 📆 post brought to you by RAID💥: SHADOW LEGENDS👥.
RAID💥: SHADOW LEGENDS 👥 - It's for your phone📲TM™ #ad📢

Kane’s chokeslams were great. He did a great one on Trish Stratus one time. I also liked when he did it to Chyna. And the one on Lita was great. My personal favorite was the one on Tori.

Hmm

TUS
Feb 19, 2003

I'm going to stab you. Offline. With a real knife.

I dig the Choke Breaker. This is the only one that I could find that isn't Baron Corbin.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=XnHY2VardVE&t=19s

forkboy84
Jun 13, 2012

Corgis love bread. And Puro

Some 911 that I could find on Youtube

In which he chokeslams Jim Steele
Some fat guy getting chokeslammed
John 'Peewee' Moore gets chokeslammed
"lol I'll pretend you said 18" gets chokeslammed

And while I was looking for that I found this clip of Vader where, predictably, he doesn't exactly go out of his way to protect the job guy

Trying
Sep 26, 2019

Davros1 posted:

Bad chokeslams: Always hated Razor Ramon/Scott Hall's.

i liked it but it is p. much a choke rock bottom. undertaker did it kinda like this but better when he fought mable & mo. giant did essentially an elevated choke uranage before his joints went, also

Gumball Gumption
Jan 7, 2012

Vader protects that dude for the lift, sets him up to take a nice back body drop, and then just goes gently caress it and throws him and almost spins him on his neck. Absolutely wild.

DeathChicken
Jul 9, 2012

Nonsense. I have not yet begun to defile myself.

Sid's chokeslam was boss, though it seemed random which one he'd pull out. Sometimes he'd just huck the guy (as in the first gif up there). Sometimes he'd kneel down with them and plant them somewhere in Beijing

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Yt8fVb2CAWQ

Fentry
Mar 7, 2003

I've always been partial to the early The Giant/Big Show style where he fell to the ground with them

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3IS4KsccB7A

Dacap
Jul 8, 2008

I've been involved in a number of cults, both as a leader and a follower.

You have more fun as a follower. But you make more money as a leader.

Fentry posted:

I've always been partial to the early The Giant/Big Show style where he fell to the ground with them

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3IS4KsccB7A

Yeah, his are probably my favourite too. He always had good hang time which I think is difficult for a lot of people to replicate.

The punch finisher he was doing was so underwhelming in comparison.

El Gallinero Gros
Mar 17, 2010
Who is that getting annihilated by the first Kane chokeslam GIF?

oldpainless
Oct 30, 2009

Looks like bull buchanan

Deathlove
Feb 20, 2003

Pillbug

SatoshiMiwa posted:

Always been partial to Akira Taue's Choke Slam

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=mEXsby9BDQM

Taue chokeslamming Misawa onto Kobashi's hurt leg 6/6/95 :hmmyes:

HulkaMatt
Feb 14, 2006

BIG BICEPS SHOHEI

Misawa did elbows, Kawada did kicks, Kobashi did chops, Taue did chokeslams

Ditch
Jul 29, 2003

Backdrop Hunger

Deathlove posted:

Taue chokeslamming Misawa onto Kobashi's hurt leg 6/9/95 :hmmyes:
This was actually Taue's very underrated pie-face move, which was cool and good because it's like "I'm not even going to bother chokeslamming you, I can just shove you in the face and you'll take a bump off it."

Taue's chokeslams were pretty bad unless his opponent jumped like hell into it

a cyborg mug
Mar 8, 2010

Good chokeslams but why was this guy called ”911”? I hope it was at least so that they could do a ”someone call 911” bit or something.

El Gallinero Gros
Mar 17, 2010

extradite THIS! posted:

Good chokeslams but why was this guy called ”911”? I hope it was at least so that they could do a ”someone call 911” bit or something.

That's literally it, actually. Heyman used to be an onscreen manager in ECW and anytime someone tried to get at him he would call 911 and 911 would murder them

Also he sorta played the role of "crowd's asleep for tryout/opener guys, time to wake 'em up with visceral violence " that Sandman would later play

CHaKKaWaKka
Aug 6, 2001

I've chosen my next victim. Cry tears of joy it's not you!

Whenever I think of choke slams this is always the first thing that comes to mind.

https://i.imgur.com/zANjTxj.mp4

FUCKFACE MORON
Apr 23, 2010

by sebmojo

El Gallinero Gros posted:

That's literally it, actually. Heyman used to be an onscreen manager in ECW and anytime someone tried to get at him he would call 911 and 911 would murder them

Also he sorta played the role of "crowd's asleep for tryout/opener guys, time to wake 'em up with visceral violence " that Sandman would later play
911 also wrestled as a JTTS in WCW under the name "Big Al" lol

DJExile
Jun 28, 2007

CHaKKaWaKka posted:

Whenever I think of choke slams this is always the first thing that comes to mind.

https://i.imgur.com/zANjTxj.mp4

holy poo poo

Dimebags Brain
Feb 18, 2013

I would like to submit Big R Shimizu's Shot-Put Slam variant into the running. He does a shot put motion and then falls with the chokeslam, usually carrying the guy from the corner of the ring directly to the center and it rules.

https://twitter.com/narukiroy/status/1151318462532411392

rotinaj
Sep 5, 2008

Fun Shoe
I bet WWE has taken all footage down from non Network locations, but there was a Stevie Richards/Raven vs Pitbulls double dog collar match that turns into a clusterfuck where Dreamer gets involved, the Dudleys get involved, and Big Dick Dudley chokeslams Dreamer. This makes Alfonzo have to say the chokeslam, formerly illegal to keep 911 from chokeslamming him, is now legal.

911 comes out and Alfonzo tries to shout him down, and 911 does the coolest goozle for the chokeslam ever. He grabs the Mike in Alfonzo's hand and grabs the throat both at the same time, and it makes an awesome sound and visual.

StupidSexyMothman
Aug 9, 2010

rotinaj posted:

I bet WWE has taken all footage down from non Network locations, but there was a Stevie Richards/Raven vs Pitbulls double dog collar match that turns into a clusterfuck where Dreamer gets involved, the Dudleys get involved, and Big Dick Dudley chokeslams Dreamer. This makes Alfonzo have to say the chokeslam, formerly illegal to keep 911 from chokeslamming him, is now legal.

911 comes out and Alfonzo tries to shout him down, and 911 does the coolest goozle for the chokeslam ever. He grabs the Mike in Alfonzo's hand and grabs the throat both at the same time, and it makes an awesome sound and visual.

https://www.dailymotion.com/video/x3xgzns
relevant bit starts @ 56:30

oldpainless
Oct 30, 2009

rotinaj posted:

Most notable that Dudley is on crutches and Dreamer still manages to get chokeslammed by him

a cyborg mug
Mar 8, 2010

February is nearly over. Who wants to post the next The Best thread?

Paper Lion
Dec 14, 2009

do they have to be specific moves or just The Best as relates to wrestling in general

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

a cyborg mug
Mar 8, 2010

Paper Lion posted:

do they have to be specific moves or just The Best as relates to wrestling in general

You can make a thread about whatever you think is The Best pro wrestling move.