Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Devils Avocado
Mar 25, 2009

Sydin posted:

lol stay salty

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Nissin Cup Nudist
Sep 3, 2011

Sleep with one eye open

We're off to Gritty Gritty land

The Braves flamed out in the playoffs every year with a 162 game schedule, the only reason they won in 95 was because the playoffs started 40 games early and successfully tricked their body clocks into not giving out :colbert:

Sydin
Oct 29, 2011

Another spring commute

I'm actually really glad Kershaw is a professional post season choke artist because it helped the Cubs win the 2016 NLCS. If anything it's kinda pathetic the Astros thought they had to cheat against him in October. :shrug:

General Bullshit
Apr 20, 2020

FlamingLiberal posted:

We're what, a year away from a CBA negotiation? I don't blame the players for standing firm now.

Olney was saying on the KBO game broadcast that the players should have given in now so the owners would give them something else in the future :lol:

Paracaidas
Sep 24, 2016
Consistently Tedious!
The Crawford thing is getting worse

quote:

Former Los Angeles Dodgers star Carl Crawford has been arrested after his former girlfriend accused him of assaulting her during an argument over a man she had begun dating.

An arrest affidavit filed Wednesday by Houston police states that the ballplayer-turned-record producer went to the home of Gabriele Washington on May 8, produced a handgun from which he unloaded the ammunition in her presence, then demanded information on her latest dating relationship.

Washington told investigators Crawford pushed her to the floor, slammed her head against a wall and choked her. Crawford is free on $50,000 bond.

When her year-old daughter walked up, she distracted Crawford, who is her father, and Washington ran to call police. Crawford then fled but followed up with threatening cellphone texts to Washington, according to the affidavit.

A message to his attorney, Rusty Hardin, seeking comment was not returned immediately.

The incident happened a week before a 5-year-old boy and a woman drowned in the backyard pool at Crawford's Houston home.

Intruder
Mar 5, 2003

e: eh the first part is unnecessarily bitchy so whatever

oooooooooooof

And of course he hired Rusty

Intruder fucked around with this message at 06:05 on Jun 5, 2020

Pancakes
May 21, 2001

Crypto-Rump Roast
Jack Flaherty becoming outspoken on labor rights and police brutality in addition to being an absolute rockstar on the mound makes me very happy.

Kevlar v2.0
Dec 25, 2003

=^•⩊•^=

Sydin posted:

I'm actually really glad Kershaw is a professional post season choke artist because it helped the Cubs win the 2016 NLCS. If anything it's kinda pathetic the Astros thought they had to cheat against him in October. :shrug:

Once again someone isn't giving Kyle Hendricks enough credit. :mad:

GalacticAcid
Apr 8, 2013

NEW YORK VALUES
All Cubs Are Bastards

KICK BAMA KICK
Mar 2, 2009

https://twitter.com/travis_view/status/1268777031669596160

Bird in a Blender
Nov 17, 2005

It's amazing what they can do with computers these days.

I'm just going to use this to say gently caress Tom Ricketts one more time.

https://www.espn.com/mlb/story/_/id/29268944/mlbpa-stands-firm-additional-pay-cuts-resoundingly-rejects-league-plan

quote:

Owners say they simply don't have the cash flow to pay full, prorated salaries considering baseball halted spring training about 10 days before Opening Day. Hence, revenue hasn't materialized for 2020.

"The league itself does not make a lot of cash," Chicago Cubs owner Tom Ricketts said Tuesday. "I think there is a perception that we hoard cash and we take money out and it's all sitting in a pile we've collected over the years. Well, it isn't. Because no one anticipated a pandemic."

Kevlar v2.0
Dec 25, 2003

=^•⩊•^=
No businesses hoard cash anymore because if they did, they'd have to pay taxes.

Pancakes
May 21, 2001

Crypto-Rump Roast
It’s almost as if the argument that the owners’ wealth enables the existence of the league, which is used any time the idea of profit sharing during flush times for MLB comes up, is bullshit. :thunk:

Lumpy
Apr 26, 2002

La! La! La! Laaaa!

College Slice

Kevlar v2.0 posted:

No businesses hoard cash anymore because if they did, they'd have to pay taxes.

The hoard it, they just just do it with offshore subsidiaries. In 2016 the 50 largest companies held 1.4 Trillion in offshore accounts to avoid taxes. (https://money.cnn.com/2016/04/14/news/tax-us-companies-offshore-cash/) It's only gotten worse since then.

bawfuls
Oct 28, 2009

Sydin posted:

well he loving mowed them down in Game 1 in LA so it's unsurprising they felt the need to cheat in Game 5

more falafel please
Feb 26, 2005

forums poster

Without looking at actual game logs or anything I can say with 100% confidence that every series Kershaw pitches in he has one absolutely dominant performance and one where he totally falls apart. Game 2 of the 16 NLCS he was unfucking hittable. Hendricks was good too, he gave up a lazy fly ball that caught the wind and got out, but Kershaw was in raid-boss mode.

Pancakes
May 21, 2001

Crypto-Rump Roast

more falafel please posted:

Without looking at actual game logs or anything I can say with 100% confidence that every series Kershaw pitches in he has one absolutely dominant performance and one where he totally falls apart. Game 2 of the 16 NLCS he was unfucking hittable. Hendricks was good too, he gave up a lazy fly ball that caught the wind and got out, but Kershaw was in raid-boss mode.

This is accurate for the 2013 NLCS and the 2014 NLDS, it’s just that in Game 1 of 2013 he gave up an unearned run and was up against Raid Boss Michael Wacha and Game 4 of 2014 he got left in too long.

Bregor
May 31, 2013

People are idiots, Leslie.

GalacticAcid posted:

All Cubs Are Bastards

:wrong:

That's just the ownership.

Intruder
Mar 5, 2003

bawfuls posted:

well he loving mowed them down in Game 1 in LA so it's unsurprising they felt the need to cheat in Game 5

Agreed, there's no possible way Kershaw could have choked in the playoffs

Paracaidas
Sep 24, 2016
Consistently Tedious!

Bregor posted:

:wrong:

That's just the ownership.

All Cubs, Karen. Yes, even your dad Large Adult Son.

Sydin
Oct 29, 2011

Another spring commute
Kyle Hendricks is cool and I will actually fight the whole thread to the death over it :colbert:

Pancakes posted:

Game 4 of 2014 he got left in too long.

The Dodgers loving love leaving Kershaw in forever in the postseason. Or starting him on short rest, two things that statistically cause his otherwise stellar numbers to go sideways.

Pancakes
May 21, 2001

Crypto-Rump Roast

Sydin posted:

The Dodgers loving love leaving Kershaw in forever in the postseason. Or starting him on short rest, two things that statistically cause his otherwise stellar numbers to go sideways.

There are outliers, like 2013 NLCS Game 6. He just sucked terribly that game and I believe it was on normal rest.

Sydin posted:

Kyle Hendricks is cool and I will actually fight the whole thread to the death over it

I have no strong opinions about Hendricks but Dartmouth sucks and I will yell that at him forever. Do we have to fight still? Because fair warning, I am a large-ish person and am I reasonably confident that I could take anyone in the MLB threads except maybe EHF.

Popete
Oct 6, 2009

This will make sure you don't suggest to the KDz
That he should grow greens instead of crushing on MCs

Grimey Drawer
This is me IRL

Sydin
Oct 29, 2011

Another spring commute

Pancakes posted:

I have no strong opinions about Hendricks but Dartmouth sucks and I will yell that at him forever. Do we have to fight still? Because fair warning, I am a large-ish person and am I reasonably confident that I could take anyone in the MLB threads except maybe EHF.

I'm a career computer toucher who's 5'9" on a good day and what little physique I had has gone totally to poo poo during the shelter in place. Still, if I must defend the honor of cooler Kyle so be it. Just remember to bring a mask, oh and also we can only throw punches from 6ft apart to respect social distancing guidelines. :v:

Pancakes
May 21, 2001

Crypto-Rump Roast

Sydin posted:

I'm a career computer toucher who's 5'9" on a good day and what little physique I had has gone totally to poo poo during the shelter in place. Still, if I must defend the honor of cooler Kyle so be it. Just remember to bring a mask, oh and also we can only throw punches from 6ft apart to respect social distancing guidelines. :v:

I might end up getting incapacitated while doing legal observer work this weekend anyway, so :shrug:

But gently caress Dartmouth forever.

For context: When my ex was visiting Dartmouth as an admitted student she (mixed, presents as black) got asked by a white student what they should wear to that year’s “ghetto party”. When she asked a black student there what the hell was up with that she was told it was a common occurrence. She did not go to Dartmouth after that. So yes, gently caress Dartmouth.

Pancakes fucked around with this message at 20:33 on Jun 5, 2020

Sydin
Oct 29, 2011

Another spring commute

Pancakes posted:

I might end up getting incapacitated while doing legal observer work this weekend anyway, so :shrug:

But gently caress Dartmouth forever.

For context: When my ex was visiting Dartmouth as an admitted student she (mixed, presents as black) got asked by a white student what they should wear to that year’s “ghetto party”. When she asked a black student there what the hell was up with that she was told it was a common occurrence. She did not go to Dartmouth after that. So yes, gently caress Dartmouth.

It's okay I alienate like half the people I meet in Chicago because I hate Notre Dame with a burning passion, because seemingly every graduate from there I meet is a raging rear end in a top hat.

Also stay safe out there, the fash had declared open war on anybody trying to hold them accountable. :ohdear:

KICK BAMA KICK
Mar 2, 2009

Marcell Ozuna's wife arrested on a misdemeanor battery charge last week for allegedly hitting him in the face with a soap dish. That's weird? Could be worse!

Ammat The Ankh
Sep 7, 2010

Now, attempt to defeat me!
And I shall become a living legend!
I know who I'm voting for this November
https://twitter.com/JoseCanseco/status/1268992126974451712

Spoeank
Jul 16, 2003

That's a nice set of 11 dynasty points there, it would be a shame if 3 rings were to happen with it

my man check out how well that works in the documentary Avengers: Age of Ultron

Kevlar v2.0
Dec 25, 2003

=^•⩊•^=

Sydin posted:

It's okay I alienate like half the people I meet in Chicago because I hate Notre Dame with a burning passion, because seemingly every graduate from there I meet is a raging rear end in a top hat.

Say what you will about crime, corruption, money problems, etc, but for me the worst thing about living in Chicago is the sheer number of Notre Dame fans.

MAKE ME A GOD WITH THE CHEMICAL SCIENCES

bawfuls
Oct 28, 2009

Intruder posted:

Agreed, there's no possible way Kershaw could have choked in the playoffs
the Astros couldn't beat him that October without cheating but sure, go off

Vertical Lime
Dec 11, 2004

https://twitter.com/susanslusser/status/1269041678750412800?s=21

bewbies
Sep 23, 2003

Fun Shoe
I like how the dirt rear end poor teams are making good to their employees while Yankees and dodgers and Cubs and red Sox sit around the table looking uncomfortably back and forth at one another

abelwingnut
Dec 23, 2002

so i haven't been following mlb vs mlbpa. are players getting paid their regular salaries?

Squall
Mar 10, 2010

"...whatever."

abelwingnut posted:

so i haven't been following mlb vs mlbpa. are players getting paid their regular salaries?

Per an agreement back in March, players are getting pro-rated pay based on the number of games played this season. Since that number stands at 0, no, they aren't getting paid.

KICK BAMA KICK
Mar 2, 2009

They did get a chunk when this started that they keep whatever happens or doesn't

Squall
Mar 10, 2010

"...whatever."

KICK BAMA KICK posted:

They did get a chunk when this started that they keep whatever happens or doesn't

That's good to know, I think I forgot about that part.

FlamingLiberal
Jan 18, 2009

Would you like to play a game?

That took way too long

General Bullshit
Apr 20, 2020

Are the A's reversing course because the season is almost guaranteed to be played at a reduced pay rate or they realized they're hosed long term if they can't sign anyone after the 5th round?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Der Meister
May 12, 2001

Please do not discuss Kershaw and the postseason. Thank you.