Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us $3,400 per month for bandwidth bills alone, and since we don't believe in shoving popup ads to our registered users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
«162 »
Dutchy
Jul 8, 2010

General Bullshit posted:

Are the A's reversing course because the season is almost guaranteed to be played at a reduced pay rate or they realized they're hosed long term if they can't sign anyone after the 5th round?

it's probably just a PR/marketing thing, it's enough money at stake to pocket if you can get away with it but not so much to fight over and have everyone yell at you and lose brand-related warm & fuzzies. they need those warm & fuzzies to ride out the twice-per-decade sell-off of the big league players

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

MrMojok
Jan 27, 2011

All I ever wanted was some baseball.

Intruder
Mar 5, 2003

Another skit?!

bawfuls posted:

the Astros couldn't beat him that October without cheating but sure, go off

I'm agreeing with you

Kershaw has no playoff failures prior to that

Paracaidas
Sep 24, 2016
Literal Nazi

Squall posted:

That's good to know, I think I forgot about that part.

It's part of the current holdup as well because it was structured as an advance. So a 50 game schedule, even at the full prorated rate, means far less than 1/3 of the player's salary.

As noted, though, they don't have to pay back the advance if there are no games.

«162 »