Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

GalacticAcid
Apr 8, 2013

NEW YORK VALUES

Poque posted:

Some dude just came out of my neighbor's house in a Rays jersey and a Pirates hat and I'm shook

Was he pretty old? A lot of snowbirds move to Florida and pick up the rays as their AL team

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Poque
Sep 11, 2003

=^-^=
I'm guessing sad hipster, probably early thirties

Intruder
Mar 5, 2003

My favorite apparel encounter was seeing a guy at an Astros/Rockies game in a Corey Patterson Cubs shirsey in 2008, three years after he was last a Cub

STAC Goat
Mar 12, 2008

Watching you sleep.

Butt first, let's
check the feeds.

Its Memorial Day weekend and a really nice lazy Sunday and all I want to do is watch baseball.

I'm sad.

Pancakes
May 21, 2001

Crypto-Rump Roast

STAC Goat posted:

Its Memorial Day weekend and a really nice lazy Sunday and all I want to do is watch baseball.

I'm sad.

I’ll one-up you: This is the one weekend a year that college Ultimate is on tv and my old team are the defending champions but everything for the year was cancelled.

Mr. Meagles
Apr 30, 2004

Out here, everything hurts

At least baseball is staying closed like a responsible institution. Everything else around here is throwing a grand opening party like the last few months didn't exist and everything is all better now.

Strelok604
Apr 26, 2020

My dad is a lifelong cubs fan and likes to wear his Ryan Theriot jersey to be cheeky and not seen as a bandwagoner

LeeMajors
Jan 20, 2005

I've gotta stop fantasizing about Lee Majors...
Ah, one more!

I get having two teams for other reasons but mixing gear is a little :psyduck:

(Braves/A’s supremacy)

Pancakes
May 21, 2001

Crypto-Rump Roast

Strelok604 posted:

My dad is a lifelong cubs fan and likes to wear his Ryan Theriot jersey to be cheeky and not seen as a bandwagoner

I believe you mean "World Series Champion Ryan Theriot".

Mr. Meagles
Apr 30, 2004

Theriot was probably my least favorite player on the 2011 Cardinal team. He managed to be a downer during that run by being a whiny turd about playing time.

Like dude, you're on the St. Louis Cardinals and they already have Nick Punto, Skip Schumaker, Daniel Descalso, and Pete Kozma. As scrappy as you are, can't out-scrap them Ryan. I'm sorry.

Pancakes
May 21, 2001

Crypto-Rump Roast

Tom Gorman posted:

Theriot was probably my least favorite player on the 2011 Cardinal team. He managed to be a downer during that run by being a whiny turd about playing time.

Like dude, you're on the St. Louis Cardinals and they already have Nick Punto, Skip Schumaker, Daniel Descalso, and Pete Kozma. As scrappy as you are, can't out-scrap them Ryan. I'm sorry.

Was Kozma on that team? I feel like he didn't make the team until Furcal went down with TJS.

In retrospect my least-favorite player on 2011 was Lance Berkman because vocal bigotry.

Mr. Meagles
Apr 30, 2004

Pancakes posted:

Was Kozma on that team? I feel like he didn't make the team until Furcal went down with TJS.

In retrospect my least-favorite player on 2011 was Lance Berkman because vocal bigotry.

He was! Pete Kozma...was always there.

The Berkman thing is a real shame because man he owned so much in the postseason.

elentar
Aug 26, 2002

Every single year the Ivy League takes a break from fucking up the world through its various alumni to fuck up everyone's bracket instead.
Who generally is considered the worst player to be a significant contributor to a World Series winning team?

I only know Braves lore, but I have to figure Mike Kelly is a pretty strong contender with the statline:

97 G, 137 AB, .190/.258/.314, .572 OPS, 49 OPS+

That team somehow also survived having Mark Lemke and the corpse of Jeff Blauser up the middle (with Rafael Belliard first off the bench) and a real turd of a year from Marquis Grissom, it really did take an all-time pitching rotation to get them over the line.

elentar fucked around with this message at 01:02 on May 25, 2020

El Gallinero Gros
Mar 17, 2010
Pat Borders wasn't a very good player but won an WS MVP for the Jays.

.253 career hitter, .668 career OPS

Julio Cruz
May 19, 2006
Sandy Leon hit .177/.232/.279 over 288 PA with the Red Sox in 2018.

See Mohn
Oct 28, 2010

Luis Sojo (career 71 OPS+) was on all four Yankees championship rosters from 1996-2000 and even got the series-winning hit in 2000 on a million-hop grounder up the middle.

Chamale
Jul 11, 2010

I'm helping!

Hal Smith hit the biggest home run in World Series history, giving the Pirates a 9-7 lead in Game 7 of the 1960 World Series, and everyone forgot about it because of Mazeroski's walk-off homer in the next inning. He played 10 partial seasons with no full seasons, and all the results when I google Hal Smith are about an actor who played the town drunk in The Andy Griffith Show.

STAC Goat
Mar 12, 2008

Watching you sleep.

Butt first, let's
check the feeds.

Gerald Williams has 2 World Series rings and drat anyone who says he doesn't deserve them.

He also punched Pedro.

GalacticAcid
Apr 8, 2013

NEW YORK VALUES

Chamale posted:

Hal Smith hit the biggest home run in World Series history, giving the Pirates a 9-7 lead in Game 7 of the 1960 World Series, and everyone forgot about it because of Mazeroski's walk-off homer in the next inning. He played 10 partial seasons with no full seasons, and all the results when I google Hal Smith are about an actor who played the town drunk in The Andy Griffith Show.

He actually died earlier this year

euphronius
Feb 18, 2009

Including catchers is meh.

LeeMajors
Jan 20, 2005

Ah, one more!

elentar posted:

I only know Braves lore, but I have to figure Mike Kelly is a pretty strong contender with the statline:

97 G, 137 AB, .190/.258/.314, .572 OPS, 49 OPS+

That team somehow also survived having Mark Lemke and the corpse of Jeff Blauser up the middle (with Rafael Belliard first off the bench) and a real turd of a year from Marquis Grissom, it really did take an all-time pitching rotation to get them over the line.

It surprises me still that Kelly didn’t pan out because he was a MiLB superstar and I saw him play several times with the Greenville Braves and he was considered as good or better of a prospect than teammates Chipper and Javy.

Also I’ll not hear a bad work about Lemke or Blauser. Or Belliard with his solid glove and wet noodle bat.

Ammat The Ankh
Sep 7, 2010

Now, attempt to defeat me!
And I shall become a living legend!

Pancakes posted:

I believe you mean "World Series Champion Ryan Theriot".

I believe you mean "Two-Time World Series Champion Ryan Theriot".

R.D. Mangles
Jan 10, 2004

The Riot is dead to me

See Mohn
Oct 28, 2010

euphronius posted:

Speaking of catchers, he's turned out to be a probable Hall of Famer, but if the Mets never win a World Series in my lifetime, "Yadier Molina hit .216 in 2006" will be my last words.

elentar
Aug 26, 2002

Every single year the Ivy League takes a break from fucking up the world through its various alumni to fuck up everyone's bracket instead.

LeeMajors posted:

Also I’ll not hear a bad work about Lemke or Blauser. Or Belliard with his solid glove and wet noodle bat.

Lemke was never all that great but apparently was a glue guy. I've come to appreciate him quite a bit on the radio broadcasts.

Blauser was pretty good at his peaks (and he had another one in him still) but he was terrible in 1995.

Belliard was probably my dad's favorite player, and I can't see how you would dislike him. His 10 years between home runs has to be close to an MLB record (at least for non-pitchers).

El Gallinero Gros
Mar 17, 2010

elentar posted:

Lemke was never all that great but apparently was a glue guy. I've come to appreciate him quite a bit on the radio broadcasts.

Blauser was pretty good at his peaks (and he had another one in him still) but he was terrible in 1995.

Belliard was probably my dad's favorite player, and I can't see how you would dislike him. His 10 years between home runs has to be close to an MLB record (at least for non-pitchers).

Lemke was a very good fielder wasn't he?

Pancakes
May 21, 2001

Crypto-Rump Roast

R.D. Mangles posted:

The Riot is dead to me

Did you ever see that commercial he did when he signed with the Cards where he was making his jeans into cutoffs?

R.D. Mangles
Jan 10, 2004

Pancakes posted:

Did you ever see that commercial he did when he signed with the Cards where he was making his jeans into cutoffs?

lol no

Pancakes
May 21, 2001

Crypto-Rump Roast

I’m phoneposting from Mariano’s but I’ll try to find it when I get home. It was overlaid with audio of Chicago sports announcers calling Cards fans white trash, if memory serves.

R.D. Mangles
Jan 10, 2004

here it is https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=iEuMdEksvrs

rickiep00h
Aug 16, 2010

BATDANCE

euphronius posted:

Well then we don't get Actual Human Drew Butera, who owns a career -3.5 WAR but won a ring in 2015 after being traded from the Angels to the Royals. His greatness includes... uh... walking in a tie game and... catching the final strike of the series?

Sydin
Oct 29, 2011

Another spring commute
I remember Conor Gillaspie absolutely owning Cubs pitching in the 2016 NLDS, although his bat wasn't enough to overcome the trash fire that was the 2016 Giants bullpen.

Is he even still playing?

more falafel please
Feb 26, 2005

forums poster

I wonder if the cubs gave Brian Matusz a ring

R.D. Mangles
Jan 10, 2004

more falafel please posted:

I wonder if the cubs gave Brian Matusz a ring

According to Wikipedia

quote:

Despite the fact he only appeared in one game for the Cubs during their 2016 World Series season, he was given a World Series ring.[17]

Sydin
Oct 29, 2011

Another spring commute
Matusz deserved the gently caress out of that ring for kick starting an 11 game winning streak.

Popete
Oct 6, 2009

This will make sure you don't suggest to the KDz
That he should grow greens instead of crushing on MCs

Grimey Drawer

Alright that loving rules.

FlamingLiberal
Jan 18, 2009

Would you like to play a game?

Sydin posted:

I remember Conor Gillaspie absolutely owning Cubs pitching in the 2016 NLDS, although his bat wasn't enough to overcome the trash fire that was the 2016 Giants bullpen.

Is he even still playing?
He hasn’t played anywhere since 2017. No minors/foreign league either

Salvor_Hardin
Sep 13, 2005

I want to go protest.
Nap Ghost

Poque posted:

It was a Boggs jersey 🤔

My man was probably just gearing up to pound a case of Milwaukee's Best on Memorial day.

Intruder
Mar 5, 2003

elentar posted:

Who generally is considered the worst player to be a significant contributor to a World Series winning team?

Kyle Schwarber

Now excuse me while I enter witness protection

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

LeeMajors
Jan 20, 2005

Ah, one more!

El Gallinero Gros posted:

Lemke was a very good fielder wasn't he?

He was.

elentar posted:

I was watching live when Belliard hit that homer and it was very :3: