Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

humpthewind
Jan 8, 2007

Noblest of all dogs is the hot-dog; it feeds the hand that bites it.
This is what should happen, but won't. For all Astros on the 2017-2019 teams, double their 2020 salary and give the extra amount to a charity of some kind. Make the Astros pay this total. This includes any player on any current roster, so Marwin would count here.

For example: Altuve makes 4.5 million this year, this means he makes 9 million against the Luxury Tax. 4.5 million of that (plus anything that may go over the luxury tax thresholds) goes to a charity. The Astros are on the hook for all of it. Make this apply to each player that played during a game from 2017-2019 regardless of their involvement in the cheating scandal. This way, the players aren't punished directly(no MLBPA involvement), the Astros are punished as an org (doubling everyone's salary for 2020, including players on other teams which now count toward their luxury tax amount), and ownership is hit with a big ol' payment that goes to Reviving Baseball in Inner Cities or something. Everyone wins, except the Astros, which is the point here.

Also, in this plan, Verlander would count as 66 million against the tax. 33 million goes to a charity to help kids play baseball and grow the game. This is such an easy decision I can't believe it wasn't thought of before.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

humpthewind
Jan 8, 2007

bawfuls posted:

This is exactly why the rule exists limiting owner fines to a laughable $5M. So that the league can point at the rule and say "sorry this is all we can do!"

I'm guessing that ownership had a hand in writing this rule.

humpthewind
Jan 8, 2007

Sab0921 posted:

Hi. Astros fan here. Just wanted to pop in and say stealing signs and locking children in cages, separating families, then refusing to provide basic care for either parents or children often resulting in their deaths are not the same thing.

Maybe not the exact same, but it's close

humpthewind
Jan 8, 2007

STAC Goat posted:

I'm still chuckling at Bregman quitting his agency because Lebron James is making a doc about him being a cheater. I'm almost tempted to buy an Athletic sub to read it and get more laughs.

Being a Knight of LeBron has taken on new, glorious meaning.