Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Chamale
Jul 11, 2010

I'm helping!

The Nazis had horrible info security and we were stealing all their secret messages. That's what happens when a villain assumes their enemies must be stupider than them.

much like the astros

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Chamale
Jul 11, 2010

I'm helping!

The first batter to hit a home run against the Astros should signal the dugout to bring him a trash can, then bang it with the bat before doing his home run trot.

Chamale
Jul 11, 2010

I'm helping!

Home plate umpire thinking, "That looked like ball one to me, but who am I to disagree with Greg Maddux?"

Chamale
Jul 11, 2010

I'm helping!

Kirios posted:

Spring training is the highlight of every Mets season, after all.

Tim Tebow is currently their best hitter.

Chamale
Jul 11, 2010

I'm helping!

R.D. Mangles posted:

one of the magical places about this place i assure you no one else including seth mcclung remembers that and yet it resurfaces here every several months and makes me laugh every time

What was it?

Chamale
Jul 11, 2010

I'm helping!

UZR IS BULLSHIT posted:

I mean, that probably is the thing they're surprised by. Do you think Mike Trout would do better if he took a running start at every pitch?

Watch video of Babe Ruth's swing, that's basically what he did. Pitchers are too good now for that tactic to work, but big leg kicks are still a common way to gain power.

Chamale
Jul 11, 2010

I'm helping!

Yelich was contracted to play the next 3 years for $41.5 million, so this is basically an extension of $158.5/6. Still an outright steal for the Brewers.

Chamale
Jul 11, 2010

I'm helping!

Applying post-modernism to baseball umpiring is absurd, pointless, and wrong. Every baseball is either actually fair or actually foul, and the umpire's job is to make that call to the best of his ability. Replays are good when the umpire wasn't able to accurately observe reality, but very long reviews suck so I support a one-minute limit.

Has any major sport implemented and then removed video review? Quidditch Canada used it for a season then undid it after a stupidly long video review during last year's national championships.

Chamale
Jul 11, 2010

I'm helping!

STAC Goat posted:

"Knees to letters": Judge has to cover a larger strike zone than Altuve.
"standard size and location": They cover the same space but as you said, Judge is either swinging below his shins or Altuve at his head

Being tall is an advantage in every major sport, the smaller strike zone for short guys doesn't make up for the other disadvantages. Abruptly changing the strike zone would screw over every player with a squatting stance.

Chamale
Jul 11, 2010

I'm helping!

Does this count as two assists for the centerfielder?

Chamale
Jul 11, 2010

I'm helping!

Pancakes posted:

Stan Stan Stan Stan

Calling it now, Williams at 9, Stan at 6

Williams deserves a better ranking than Musial, sorry. If they're doing the uniform numbers thing, could it be Ruth at 3, with Bonds and Paige or Johnson above him? How've they been treating steroids users?

Chamale
Jul 11, 2010

I'm helping!

Dirt Road Junglist posted:

The Mets can't gently caress up if they never play, right? :mets:

...right???

The Mets' Director of Player Relations is being tested for coronavirus. His son tested positive.

Chamale
Jul 11, 2010

I'm helping!

I felt sad about baseball being cancelled so I'm signing up my beer league softball team a week before the early bird deadline, instead of frantically on the final day like last year.

Chamale
Jul 11, 2010

I'm helping!

It would suck if the pandemic causes Pujol to fall just short of the RBI record, or if Markakis ends up just short of 3,000 hits. I'm already sad that we won't get to see the glorious comeback of Joey Bats, Crush Davis, or Shohei Throwtani for at least a few months.

Chamale
Jul 11, 2010

I'm helping!

C: Buster Posey
1B: Adam Dunn
2B: Cavan Biggio
SS: Bo Bichette
3B: Vladimir Guerrero Jr.
OF: Larry Walker
OF: Mike Trout
OF: Jose Bautista
DH: Shohei Ohtani

SP: Randy Johnson
SP: Pedro Martinez
SP: RA Dickey
SP: Max Scherzer
SP: Shohei Ohtani
RP: Chad Bradford
RP: Mariano Rivera

Chamale
Jul 11, 2010

I'm helping!

I love Moneyball, but the best baseball movie is undoubtedly The Sandlot.

Chamale
Jul 11, 2010

I'm helping!

LonesomeCrowdedWest posted:

The last few seasons are available on mlbtv for free right now I think. I know it’s not the same but it’s something. I just wish there was a button to like... select a random game

There's a website for that.

https://www.coronavirus-baseball.com

Chamale
Jul 11, 2010

I'm helping!

howe_sam posted:

I'm going to go out on a huge limb and say the top three of the 100 will be Bonds, Mays, and Ruth in some order.

A pitcher deserves to be in the top three. Should be Paige, might be Johnson.

Chamale
Jul 11, 2010

I'm helping!

uggy posted:

Babe Ruth is fine if he ends up at 1 on that list but I think anybody pre integration is just not as good.

Mike trout is better than babe Ruth they are both extreme right tail on the bell curve of ball players but everybody trout plays against is also extreme right tail and that’s not true for babe Ruth and basically anybody before like uhh 2000

This is true but also meaningless. Babe Ruth was incredibly innovative - he not only revolutionized hitting, he revolutionized fitness. He worked with doctors to figure out the weightlifting routine that would maximize his strength, at a time when the science of muscle development was poorly understood. Also, it's hard to penalize him for playing before integration since he was a huge advocate for it - he was suspended for six weeks for playing against black teams, and after retiring he was quietly banned from managing teams because he wanted to sign black players.

Chamale
Jul 11, 2010

I'm helping!

rickiep00h posted:

Basically. Grew up in orphanages and spent a lot of time and money helping orphans etc when he got famous, but a lot of the fame got to his vices since he, y'know, had a lovely childhood and didn't know how to self-regulate.

His childhood was a big factor in why he revolutionized baseball. His schoolmates played the game correctly: hustling for infield singles, frequent sacrifice bunts, never striking out. Ruth just wanted to hit home runs, so the school disciplinarian taught him to take a Happy Gilmore stride towards the ball and elevate his swing. This was arguably the wrong strategy for the deadball era, but baseball kept him out of trouble so his teachers encouraged him to keep breaking the rules of hitting instead of breaking windows. He became the best hitter and best pitcher at his school because he practiced baseball constantly. In the Major Leagues he began his career as one of the top pitchers in the league, then in 1919 they introduced a livelier baseball and he hit .322 with 29 home runs despite the long right-field fence at Fenway Park. Then he went to the Yankees, and for the next ten years he averaged .355 with 47 home runs.

Chamale
Jul 11, 2010

I'm helping!

Crazy Ted posted:

It's been a few years since I've seen a deep-dive article about Cobb, but IIRC recent research has suggested that some of the more popular stories about him might actually be apocryphal.

He didn't kill anyone, but he actually did use sharpened spikes as a weapon on the ball field and he actually did jump into the stands and beat a heckler who had no hands.

Chamale
Jul 11, 2010

I'm helping!

bewbies posted:

my personal take is that he was more or less a man of his time, and baseball players of his time were generally crude, violent, and at least tacitly racist. thanks to a combination of a couple of very shady biographers and his fame, he's become this sort of poster boy for bad behavior, when he really was pretty average for the time and place in which he lived.

I agree. I wouldn't go so far as to call him average, but he wasn't an exceptional rear end in a top hat.

Pete Rose, though, that guy's the loving worst. At least the other members of the 4,000 hits club, Ichiro Suzuki and Ted Radcliffe, are cool.

Chamale
Jul 11, 2010

I'm helping!

If they manage to play 162 games, there'd be so many innings pitched by AAA caliber pitchers that we could see a legitimate home run record chase. That would be extremely good for baseball.

Chamale
Jul 11, 2010

I'm helping!

Darude - Adam Sandstorm posted:

That plan is so hilariously bad but it definitely is going to happen and the season will last 3 weeks.

Nick Markakis somehow wins the batting title, hitting .456 over 57 at-bats.

Chamale
Jul 11, 2010

I'm helping!

R.D. Mangles posted:

is interstellar any good? i still haven't seen it, but i can confirm that your memory is correct and the first 20 minutes of highlander loving rules

It's great, and it uses baseball scenes to illustrate changes to society, so it's technically on-topic.

Chamale
Jul 11, 2010

I'm helping!

MrMojok posted:

Found an OOTP mod that's a league composed entirely of Hall of Famers, but the best part is there are a lot of Negro League players with decent interpretations of stats.

So now I've deleted the Florida Marlins (because why not them) and I'm replacing them with an all-star Negro League team, playing in the NL East

C: Josh Gibson, Biz Mackey
1B: Buck Leonard, Mule Suttles
2B- Martin Dihigo
SS- Pop Lloyd, Willie Wells
3B- Ray Dandridge, Judy Johnson
OF: Oscar Charleston, Turkey Stearnes, Cool Papa Bell, Cristobel Torriente
RP: ???

The Negro Leagues didn't have star relief pitchers. If you were good, you were a starting pitcher, and the aim was to pitch a complete game. The closest thing to a relief pitcher was certain two-way players like Ted Radcliffe and Bullet Joe Rogan.

Chamale
Jul 11, 2010

I'm helping!

When last season ended, I and five friends drafted baseball teams from all of history, and I simulated a season in OOTP against the current MLB and each other. My team went 135-27 while breaking records for total runs and home runs - just barely broke the 1894 record of 1220 runs in a season, ending up with 1221. Then I got swept in the World Series by my friend Nathan, who had some of the most clutch pitchers ever. Most of the Negro Leagues' stars didn't stand out compared to MLB stars, it made we wonder how the stats are adjusted.

Michael's team, which he picked from memory of star baseball players:

Jane's team, she's a Cardinals fan:

Stuart's team, he forgot about the draft so a friend of mine made most of the picks while at a party:

Nathan's team, he took Koufax first and then made picks based on some kind of WAR leaderboard:

Kaitlyn's team, she picked players with funny names:

My team, I made picks from memory and prioritized the highest WAR:

I made a colour-coded chart of how effective the various draft picks were. The dark blue is for 10+WAR seasons, of which there were three.

I ran the simulation to finish at the beginning of Spring Training, and of course, there is once again no baseball.

Chamale
Jul 11, 2010

I'm helping!

The Les Grossman tactic. "How about instead of $100 million, I give you a hobo's dick cheese?"

Chamale
Jul 11, 2010

I'm helping!

Steve Dalkowski, the fastest fastball pitcher in baseball history, has died of COVID-19. He was 80. His fastball was never measured because he was a minor leaguer in the 1950s, but everyone from Ted Williams to Cal Ripken Sr. agreed he threw the hardest he'd ever seen. He's one of the great what-if stories, because he blew out his arm fielding a bunt during his first Major League spring training. Based on Ripken's comparison that Steve was faster than Nolan Ryan, Dalkowski's fastball probably peaked around 110 mph.

Chamale
Jul 11, 2010

I'm helping!

The record for farthest baseball throw hasn't been broken since 1957.

Chamale
Jul 11, 2010

I'm helping!

Babe Ruth hit a monster home run in Tampa during 1919 spring training. A nearby security guard put a pile of rocks on the spot where it landed so the distance could be measured. It was initially paced as 195 yards and 2 feet, then accurately surveyed as 552 feet. The field has been demolished, but there's a monument at the spot proclaiming the inaccurate measurement of 587 feet.

He had another monster homer in Wilkes-Barr during a 1926 exhibition game, which landed "beyond the running track" and was estimated at 650 feet. The near edge of that running track is 552 feet from home plate, but the monument at that location is 650 feet from the plate. Because multiple places want to claim Ruth's longest home run, that shows how hard it is to know these mythical baseball facts.

The longest home run on video is 582 feet by Joey Meyer in 1987. They had a juiced ball that year, it was in Denver before the humidor, and he was 6'3" and 260 pounds.

Chamale
Jul 11, 2010

I'm helping!

I have a subscription and it was $60 for the year. Seems like a big price increase when there are no new stats being created this season.

Chamale
Jul 11, 2010

I'm helping!

RCarr posted:

I have a question about that Ootp Baseball 21 all time draft that’s going on. If I wanted to do something like that with my friends, how would it work? Is there drafting software built into the game? Or would I have to do everything manually and then input the rosters? Is there some sort of ranking system with all the available players? Or does it just list every player ever, and you choose based off that?

Just trying to realistically figure out how much work I’d have to put in to make something like that happen. Also, can I have the computer draft/manage a bunch of teams if I only had like 10 people interested in owning a team?

I did this last offseason. There's no in-game draft system, so we used Google Sheets. To import historical players, you create a text document with the name, year, and team. I linked people to the lists of MVP, Cy Young, and Negro Leagues MVP award winners to give them ideas for picks, but everyone seemed to have their own system. I had 6 people, so I did a 30-team season with one in each division. It was fun watching them put up unreal stats against current MLB teams; Pedro Martinez went 29-1, with a loss on the final game of the season.

Chamale
Jul 11, 2010

I'm helping!

RCarr posted:

Thanks for the info. A few questions:

Is there any rating system for players? Or are you just using your own judgement to say whether a player from the 20’s, is better than a player from the 60’s or the present, or the negro leagues, etc?

And I guess to have a fair league I’d have to manually auto draft for every team without an owner? That would be a massive pain in the rear end.

There's a rating system but it won't be available until after the draft is done. I think OOTP bases stats on a three-year average surrounding the season you choose. It makes appropriate adjustments for park factors and era factors, so dead ball players won't get penalized for their low home run rates, and Negro Leaguers get a slight stats penalty because of the lower competition level.

OOTP lets you create smaller leagues, so if you have 10 people you could just do a 10-team league.

Chamale
Jul 11, 2010

I'm helping!

STAC Goat posted:

I mean, its probably pretty hard to quantify how much rookie ball is a benefit or a waste so its probably true that teams will just go the route of saving money. But I just realized I didn't actually understand what "less teams" actually means beyond "billionaires being cheap and kids losing their chance".

Yankees A-ball games are catered with peanut butter sandwiches and ramen. Major league owners don't care at all about the unprofitable minor leaguers, it's ninety percent cheapness and ten percent hazing.

Chamale
Jul 11, 2010

I'm helping!

Satchel Paige pitched three shutout innings when he was 59 years old.

Doc Gooden's no-hitter has an amazing story. He was coming off an 18-month suspension for drug abuse, he had already been demoted to the bullpen but got the start because Andy Pettite had an elbow injury. Gooden's father was scheduled to get heart surgery the next day. Gooden got the no-hitter against a Mariners lineup featuring Ken Griffey Jr, Alex Rodriguez, and Edgar Martinez.

A Catholic priest-in-training with no professional baseball background pitched a complete game in the MLB. He holds the record for most runs and most hits given up by a starting pitcher, but it was still an unlikely performance.

Chamale
Jul 11, 2010

I'm helping!

Shinjobi posted:

If it makes you feel any better I had a Josh Donaldson foul ball bounce off of my hands in the 2016 postseason opening game where the Rangers lost 10-1.

Miguel Tejada hit a home run into my section at a game in Anaheim when I was 9, during his MVP season. A fan gave me a ball after the game and I figured it was the home run ball. Last year I posted a picture online and Zack Hample told me that it was not a game ball. So I realized that it must have been a batting practice homer that I got, not an in-game home run ball.

(I had to google "home run ball catching guy" to remember Zack Hample's name, he's the collector who's caught like 10,000 MLB balls)

Chamale
Jul 11, 2010

I'm helping!

Having different DH rules for each league is entertaining, just like baserunners tackling the catcher was entertaining. But when I look at the multiple pitchers who had arm-destroying injuries on the basepaths, I can't see it as worth the risk anymore.

Chamale
Jul 11, 2010

I'm helping!

ilmucche posted:

Is contract arbitration a thing in baseball? I would love for an Astros player to come up for arbitration arguing "I helped win a world series" and the team's response being "yeah, but we cheated and know you're not worth the money"

One reason Mookie Betts didn't like the Red Sox is that after his MVP season, the team tried to argue in arbitration that he's not as good as everyone thinks.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Chamale
Jul 11, 2010

I'm helping!

El Gallinero Gros posted:

I think I remember reading that clubs discourage it being thrown now because it has a high injury rate?

This actually goes back to Carl Hubbell, the best screwball pitcher ever, after he retired he advised young pitchers not to throw the screwball. His throwing arm was twisted around backwards from his long pitching career.