Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

habeasdorkus
Nov 3, 2013

Royalty is a continuous shitposting motion.
I have to admit, despite the Red Sox tearing my heart out and showing it to me, before scoffing and jacking up ticket prices, I am hella psyched for the season.

Let's Go Mets.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

habeasdorkus
Nov 3, 2013

I love Patriots day.

habeasdorkus
Nov 3, 2013

Isn't Aardsma first overall among MLB players alphabetically?

e: Yes. And Zych is last overall among MLB players as well.

habeasdorkus
Nov 3, 2013

How has there not been a Zywicki in MLB?

habeasdorkus
Nov 3, 2013

ScottyJSno posted:

The Road to the Show analog has a dating sim built into it, and you can buy stuff to put into your digital dudes house. TVs and sofas and junk. I need to get a PS4.

edit: you can get married but you have to buy a car first.

I would play this so loving fast.

habeasdorkus
Nov 3, 2013

Mets refused to trade Jeff McNeil for Francisco Lindor OR Mookie Betts. Which, look, Jeff McNeil is real good and has put up ~7 WAR in under 200 games. But Betts and Lindor are the second and third/fourth best players in baseball. And you're in goddamned New York City, you can afford a big contract to extend the one you trade for!

They still ended up offering a better deal to the Red Sox than what the Sox took (Brandon Nimmo & JD Davis, + a top 100 prospect) which proves even more that this was truly just a salary dump from the Red Sox. Hence, still more embarrassing to be a Red Sox fan than a Mets fan.

habeasdorkus
Nov 3, 2013

STAC Goat posted:

I can't get mad at the Mets for that. They offered a fair package. Its reasonable to not want to give up your potential superstar for 1 year. If there's no guarantee of Mookie negotiating exclusively with you its a huge cost when you're not even a lock as a contender. Its tough to think they might have had (the other) Mookie but it seems reasonable.

Oh, I agree with you. And they offered a much better package than the Dodgers did outside of eating half of Price's salary in Nimmo, Davis, and a top 100 prospect. I meant to mainly prove that the Red Sox did this solely to cut salary and absent all baseball considerations. Burn Fenway to the ground and leave John Henry tied to a stake atop the pitchers mound.

habeasdorkus
Nov 3, 2013

Devils Avocado posted:

I am but an Astros lurker with a slow couple weeks at work, and I'm finding the doubling down going on all over the city rather infectious. This must be what a MAGA rally is like, you know you're the bad guy but you just don't care because no one around you cares.

Man, gently caress the MAGA thing, but this is precisely how it feels to be a Patriots fan. You just lean into the heel turn.

habeasdorkus
Nov 3, 2013

Tom Gorman posted:

I've never had the thought cross my mind until today, not even once. But right now, in this moment, I want nothing more than for Alex Rodriguez to own and control the New York Mets.

Hey, how'd you read my exact thoughts?

This would be loving amazing.

habeasdorkus
Nov 3, 2013

Disagreeing with Szym on that, Manfred hasn't proven anywhere near competent enough to pull that off.

Meanwhile:
https://twitter.com/JesseSanchezMLB/status/1228415596125024257

BARTOLO LIVES!

habeasdorkus
Nov 3, 2013

I will never tire of the "Bartolo working out" genre:
https://twitter.com/hgomez27/status/1192939563087519745
https://twitter.com/ogtedberg/status/684432782819495936

habeasdorkus
Nov 3, 2013

Red posted:

Per @hgomez27, 1995 Yankee Tony Fernandez, the man Derek Jeter replaced at shortstop, has died of a cerebral hemorrhage.

That's awful. As noted, he was only 57. I don't know how old his kids were, but I'm in my 30s and it would still be gutting to lose either of mine. :(

Apparently he had a congenital kidney illness, according to the Global News obit.

He's a strong contender for the Hall of Very Good- 4 gold gloves, 5 time all star, and the 1993 WS ring.

habeasdorkus
Nov 3, 2013

Slimy Hog posted:

Manfred needs to go

Manfred is in his very short time one of the worst commissioners of baseball, and that's impressive considering you have racist CHUDs like Kennesaw Mountain Landis, owner stoolies like Ueberroth, utter buffoons like Bowie Kuhn, and snake oil salesmen like Bud Selig.

Although, now that I'm looking back on the list of commissioners, there's basically no GOOD commissioners except for Happy Chandler and maybe the very short Giamatti/Vincent era. And of course Chandler was bounced specifically because of the good things he did like setting up player pensions and integrating the game, Vincent was bounced for being too player friendly in the 1990 lockout, and Giamatti died less than half a year into his tenure. Man, gently caress owners.

e: So as not to triple post, can you imagine pitchers trying to throw 2 lbs baseballs? Every tendon in every arm would be shredded by the end of spring training. And can you imagine batters trying to hit them with wooden bats? Wouldn't be able to get them out of a little league stadium!

habeasdorkus
Nov 3, 2013

Ammat The Ankh posted:

Shocking News: The Giants have disinvited the rapey and violence threatening Aubrey Huff, a dude Schilling would say is trying too hard, from their 2010 World Series reunion.

https://twitter.com/TheAthleticSF/status/1229595735940665344

Every time I hear about Aubrey Huff I'm reminded of someone a long time ago on I think McCovey Chronicles who named his daughter Aubrey after this guy.

We all make mistakes, OP. There's some other, better, Aubrey's out there. Like from Little Shop of Horrors.

habeasdorkus
Nov 3, 2013

rickiep00h posted:

That's "Audrey".

I would, however, accept Aubrey Plaza.

Crud.

What about the Singing Cowboy?

habeasdorkus
Nov 3, 2013

Bregor posted:

Tom Brady, he’s already a nut job and he’s also hawking magic pajamas so he’s on the right path.

I think Gisele would gag him before he gets too nutty, out of love first and protecting her brand second. She's stridently anti-Bolsonaro and was pro-Green party when Lula was in office. I could see Brady's end point being Curt Schilling in 2010, a blowhard rear end in a top hat but not fully infested by brain worms simply because he has someone sane to stop him from going full CHUD. Also because Brady could blow his entire considerable fortune on a passion project and still be richer than god since he's worth 1/2 of his wife.

First spring training game is this Friday! I never thought I'd be excited about Rangers v. Royals.

habeasdorkus
Nov 3, 2013

Hey Astros fans, it could be worse- your team could have cheated to win the World Series AND traded away the best homegrown player of a generation for "payroll flexibility."

habeasdorkus
Nov 3, 2013

a neat cape posted:

I have questions as an extremely ignorant baseball fan who cant watch my teams games because of the loving Padres:

1. Are the Angels better than they've been the last few years

2. Is Trout somehow still getting better or is that contract going to look awful ala Pujols

3. Is Trout v Harper still a thing

4. Did the Astros actually cheat

Ty for the answers

1. They're trying to get better, but they're in a tough division. If their pitching works out, they could be a playoff team. Baseball Prospectus thinks they're close to a 50/50 shot to make it.

2. Trout remains a baseball God and you should enjoy him while you can before he decides to retire and do local weather broadcasting for the rest of his life.

3. LOL, nope. Harper turned out to be a very good player, but he's not even close to Mike Trout.

4. Astros cheated a lot and are being dipshits now that they were caught.

5. You have Shohei Ohtani on your team as well as Mike Trout! Those are two excellent reasons to watch the Angels. Especially since Shohei will be recovered from Tommy John so you can watch him hit dingers one day and pitch the next.

habeasdorkus
Nov 3, 2013

Ofc, winning and losing by football scores means more plate appearances for Trout to do cool and good things.

habeasdorkus
Nov 3, 2013

ilmucche posted:

So has anyone made the joke that all stadiums should play walkup music for the Astros but it's just ace of base's "the sign"?

With a trash can bang after every "I Saw The Sign"

habeasdorkus
Nov 3, 2013

BigBallChunkyTime posted:

While I understand the symbolism, I've recently come to learn that Ace of Base are a bunch of literal loving Nazis so gently caress them.

https://www.vice.com/en_us/article/rm35nr/ace-of-bases-secret-nazi-past

Eww. gently caress that then.

habeasdorkus
Nov 3, 2013

Huh, I've always found the craft brews at Citifield pretty accessible. Plus, the way the concourse is set up, you can pretty much see the field from the tap line. I'm not a huge fan of their selection, but they've got a pretty good variety from my memory.

Fenway sucks, though, and they've moved around the craft taps on several occasions so they're a pain in the rear end to find and don't even have a great selection. Last few times I've given up and just gotten Goose Island. Ridiculous and insulting considering the number of great breweries in New England. Of course, that turns out to be par for the course from the Red Sox org.

habeasdorkus
Nov 3, 2013

The stadium is a gem and easy to get to notwithstanding regular Seattle traffic, the food is real good, the beer is great, the only downside is that the team is bad. Honestly, beats the gently caress out of being, like, the D-Backs or White Sox. Though holy poo poo the White Sox beer list has improved since I shivered through an early May game in 2007.

habeasdorkus
Nov 3, 2013

BigBallChunkyTime posted:

I would have guessed Prince Fielder just by looking.

Fielder was only like 6 feet tall or so. He was a big boi, but not as long and large as someone like Judge.

Pitchers can be real tall, but are also more commonly lean. But, like Jonathan Broxton was like 6'4" 300 lbs.

habeasdorkus
Nov 3, 2013

Also, Big Papi is listed at only 230 lbs... which for 6'3" ain't that heavy. But that might be later Papi, after he slimmed down to help keep his knees in shape. When he had his early 30s swoon I'd bet he was pushing at least 270.

habeasdorkus
Nov 3, 2013

Salvor_Hardin posted:

How big was the biggest iteration of Bartolo?

As of 2014 Colon was listed at 285 and 5'11". The listed weight is noted in the article as being at very best a good deal short of his actual weight.

habeasdorkus
Nov 3, 2013

quote:

Ortiz said he did not understand how somebody in the Astros clubhouse did not speak out earlier about the cheating schemes being developed in Houston.

"The Houston Astros, I know they put themselves in a situation and I just still don't know how come nobody was like, 'That is wrong.' I just don't know how no one say something about it," Ortiz said. "During, not after. I was in the clubhouse for a long time and never anything like that comes up. Now, they're going to have to deal with that for a long time because it's not only a situation that involves players. You're talking about the whole franchise."

More mad at Fiers waiting to speak up, seems like.

habeasdorkus
Nov 3, 2013

Frank Thomas is a massive dude. 6'5" and at his peak built like a goddamned nuclear bunker.

Going back 60-70 years, Big Klu was pretty big for his day. 6'2" and listed at 225. Lived the "suns out guns out" life.

e: Andres Galarraga was also a big cat, 6'3" and 240+.

habeasdorkus fucked around with this message at 22:42 on Feb 20, 2020

habeasdorkus
Nov 3, 2013

euphronius posted:

Does that ... improve the Mets ownership ??

gently caress no. The Wilpons trip on their dicks constantly, in so very very Metsy ways, but usually end up hiring fairly competent front office folks and don't overrule them all the time on basic personnel decisions.

Dolan is vastly worse.

habeasdorkus
Nov 3, 2013

Spring fuckin' Training games start today!

habeasdorkus
Nov 3, 2013

I dunno, Brett has an argument for second best 3B of all time* so in the 30s seems about right.

* Schmidt is the best without too much argument, Brett is in the mix with Chipper (ranked 54) Beltre (52), Boggs (47), and Mathews (46).

Apropos for this moment- from Joe Po's writeup of Christy Mathewson in his (exquisite, delightful) Top 100 series:

quote:

Bonus Mathewson story! Well, it’s not entirely a Mathewson story, but it begins with him.

In “Pitching in a Pinch,” Mathewson writes that, at first, people warned him to never ever throw high fastballs to one of the greatest hitters of the 19th century, Ed Delahanty. Matty tried to follow the advice, and he fed Delahanty breaking balls and off-speed pitches, which Big Ed smacked all over the ballpark.

Finally, Mathewson grew so sick of getting knocked around that he ignored the advice and tried throwing high fastballs. And you know what? Delahanty couldn’t hit them. From that point on, Matty threw nothing but fastballs up, and he never had much trouble with Big Ed after that.

And because Mathewson was such an inquisitive pitcher, he wondered just how Big Ed got that reputation as a man who crushed high fastballs.

And it led to this story that transcends time.

In 1899, you see, the Philadelphia Phillies led the league in batting average, on-base percentage, runs, hits, doubles and total bases. Their pitching wasn’t good enough to make them a pennant winner, but that lineup — which starred future Hall of Famers Nap Lajoie, Elmer Flick and Delahanty — terrorized pitchers across the National League.

You couldn’t throw a high fastball by any of ’em.

Why not? Well, as it turns out there was a less famous player, a longtime backup catcher named Morgan Murphy, who was at the heart of the matter. Murphy himself couldn’t hit any longer; he never played. But what he apparently did do was sit in the manager’s suite, a high room that overlooked the field from behind center field,* and with a pair of $75 binoculars, would zoom in on the catcher’s signal. And Murphy would steal the signs.

*Though he was known for doing this at home, it’s likely Murphy did it on the road as well when he could. In Brooklyn, he once rented a room across the street from the ballpark.

Stealing catcher signs was a common practice in those days. A player and manager named Mike McGeary — who had the pleasure of managing the Philadelphia Whites, Providence Grays and Cleveland Blues in his colorful career — apparently used an umbrella to let hitters know which pitch was coming. If the umbrella was up, that meant the pitch would be up.

And Murphy himself had been well-known around the game for his sign-stealing. He, too, had evocative ways of alerting the hitters about the upcoming pitch — these were much more elegant than, say, banging a garbage can. According to this excellent story by Matt Albertson, Murphy would sometimes use an awning in centerfield to get the word out. He sometimes waved a newspaper. My favorite: He would take a simple strip of fabric and hold it vertically for a fastball, horizontally for a curve.

But in 1899, he tried something different, something more nefarious. He would steal a sign and then press a button with different patterns. The button would set off a buzzer that was strapped to the leg of Phillies player and third-base coach Pearce “Petey” Chiles. After being buzzed, Chiles would — “verbally” according to newspaper reports — let the hitter know what pitch was coming.*

*While the newspaper account made it sound like Chiles would scream out, “HEY, FASTBALL UPSTAIRS!” I’m certain they used more coded language.

And as long as the Philadelphia hitters knew what was coming, you bet they feasted on high fastballs. Delahanty hit .410. Lajoie hit .378. Flick hit .342. That’s how the reputation began. After a while, pitchers realized there was no point in trying to get high fastballs by them.

Sign stealing. Buzzers. This story has it all.

But then the Phillies got caught. Cincinnati’s third baseman Tommy Corcoran somehow noticed that Chiles’ leg would twitch before pitches. He walked over to where Chiles was standing, pawed at the dirt with his cleat, and found a transmitter in the ground. This created a stir. Baseball was a rough and tumble game in 1899 and the fans undoubtedly expected some cheating.

But this was something different. As the Philadelphia Inquirer put it: “The introduction of electricity as an adjunct to the presentation of the noble national sport opened up possibilities.”

As you might imagine, the Phillies owner promptly admitted the whole thing, apologized to the rest of the league and dedicated himself to promoting fair play in baseball.

Joking!

The team owner, Colonel John Rogers, denied everything in the most absurd and transparent way imaginable. He said that the thing Corcoran found in the ground was not a transmitter at all; no, haha, sure, it’s understandable to think that, but the box was actually a lighting switchboard that an amusement company had installed for when they needed lights for their stage show.

And the buzzer thing? Haha, no, see that was just a practical joke the team had pulled on Chiles, they had told him they were going to shock him, see, it was just a big misunderstanding — and the Phillies would certainly never do anything like that, and even if they did do something, well, it didn’t really help.

It goes without saying that nobody bought the Colonel’s explanation. The transmitter was removed, Petey Chiles moved to coach first base, and the Phillies’ batting averages dropped 35 points over the next two years (though part of that was the exit of Lajoie in 1901).

“After the buzzer had been discovered and the delivery of pitchers could not be accurately forecast,” Mathewson wrote, “this ability to hit high fast ones vanished.”

You imagine that Mathewson, who read the Bible every day, might have added Ecclesiastes 1:9 to the updated version of “Pitching in a Pinch.”

What has been is what will be, and what has been done is what will be done; there is nothing new under the sun.

loving baseball, man. I love this stupid sport and its long, dumb, glorious history. Anyone who has access to the Athletic and likes baseball should be reading these- they're to a one excellent, insightful, and enjoyable.

habeasdorkus fucked around with this message at 15:07 on Feb 21, 2020

habeasdorkus
Nov 3, 2013

Minimum 5 years, pitching peaks.

Petey, 1997-2003: 118-36, 1408 IP, 2.0 BB/9, 11.3 K/9, 5.59 K/BB, 0.940 WHIP, 2.20 ERA, 2.26 FIP, 213 ERA+
Big Train, 1910-1919: 265-143, 3427.2 IP, 1.7 BB/9, 5.8 K/9, 3.36 BB/K, 0.953, WHIP 1.59 ERA, 1.96 FIP, 183 ERA+
Mad Dog, 1992-1998: 127-53, 1675.1 IP, 1.4 BB/9, 6.9 K/9, 4.78 K/BB, 0.968 WHIP, 2.15 ERA, 2.59 FIP, 190 ERA+
Big Unit, 1995-2002: 143-44, 1763 IP, 2.8 BB/9, 12.3 K/9, 4.47 K/BB, 1.069 WHIP, 2.61 ERA, 2.59 FIP, 177 ERA+
Old Pete, 1915-1920: 139-61, 1777.2 IP, 1.4 BB/9, 4.6 K/9, 1.4 K/BB, 0.971 WHIP, 1.64 ERA, 2.10 FIP, 174 ERA+
The Claw, 2011-2017: 118-41, 1452 IP, 1.8 BB/9, 10.1 K/9, 5.74 K/BB, 0.913 WHIP, 2.10 ERA, 2.36 FIP, 179 ERA+
The Left Arm of God, 1962-1966: 111-34, 1377 IP, 2.1 BB/9, 9.4 K/9, 4.57 K/BB, .926 WHIP, 1.95 ERA, 2.00 FIP, 167 ERA+
Old Hoss, 1884: 60-12, 678.2 IP, 1.3 BB/9, 5.8 K/9, 4.5 K/BB, 0.922 WHIP, 1.38 ERA, 2.75 FIP, 205 ERA+

Also, when Pedro came up for induction to the Hall of Merit at baseball think factory in 2014, HOM voter OCF worked out RA9+ expected w/l records for consecutive seasons for post WW2 pitchers. Gibson pipped Pedro over two seasons, but Pedro was #1 in 2-5 seasons, then #2 behind Maddux after that, then #3 behind Maddux and Seaver in year 10.

OCF Posted: January 29, 2014 at 02:35 PM (#4648108) posted:

Best 2 consecutive years:

Gibson 51-18
Martinez 41-7
Koufax 51-22
Maddux 38-8 (both years were strike-shortened)
Clemens 43-13
Johnson 43-14
Marichal 47-20
Roberts 51-25
Seaver 45-19
McLain 48-25
Guidry 41-16
Palmer 47-24
Perry 49-27
Gooden 40-15

Best 3 consecutive years:

Martinez 61-13
Gibson 72-29
Koufax 69-29
Maddux 59-17
Roberts 75-38
Johnson 63-23
Seaver 66-28
Clemens 60-22
Perry 73-39
Marichal 66-31

Best 4 consecutive years:

Martinez 82-19
Koufax 94-38 (figures that this is Koufax's best list)
Johnson 85-30
Maddux 80-25
Roberts 97-51
Seaver 86-39
Gibson 87-41
Marichal 88-45
Palmer 90-49
Perry 92-54

Best 5 consecutive years:

Martinez 92-22
Maddux 97-30
Koufax 107-46
Johnson 101-40
Roberts 118-63
Seaver 107-49
Gibson 108-51
Clemens 98-44
Brown 93-42
Marichal 104-57

Best 6 consecutive years:

Maddux 117-39
Martinez 108-28
Johnson 119-46
Seaver 126-60
Koufax 123-58
Clemens 119-54
Roberts 137-78
Gibson 124-61
Palmer 123-69
Perry 132-84

Best 7 consecutive years:

Maddux 139-47
Martinez 124-32
Seaver 144-69
Clemens 138-62
Gibson 144-73
Johnson 124-48
Palmer 143-78
Roberts 151-89
Koufax 134-67
Perry 151-98

Best 8 consecutive years:

Maddux 155-61
Martinez 139-41
Seaver 164-80
Johnson 142-54
Gibson 160-84
Palmer 165-90
Clemens 149-72
Marichal 159-95
Roberts 160-97
Schilling 137-66

Best 9 consecutive years:

Maddux 171-67
Martinez 156-49
Seaver 183-89
Johnson 155-60
Palmer 185-103
Gibson 180-96
Clemens 163-77
Perry 187-122
Schilling 150-73
Marichal 170-105

Best 10 consecutive years:

Maddux 189-76
Seaver 203-100
Martinez 169-59
Palmer 200-108
Johnson 167-68
Gibson 192-105
Clemens 171-78
Perry 206-137

habeasdorkus
Nov 3, 2013

It's a just for fun thing using a Bill James stat:

OCF posted:

I've gone ahead and done one of my projects referred to above. I took my worked out RA+ equivalent records, did some adding, and went through them looking for the best 2 consecutive seasons, best 3 consecutive seasons, and so on through best 10 consecutive seasons. I defined "best" by an old Bill James gimmick stat: Fibonacci Win Points, defined as (wins)*(winning %)+(wins)-(losses), and those are the wins and losses of my equivalent records. No scientific basis, but it does seem to do a good ad hoc job of balancing bulk versus rate - and as many posters above have noted, you can't avoid balancing rate versus bulk when talking about Pedro.

The three most important things this does not take into account: (1) Defensive support (Palmer is definitely overrated below), (2) Pitchers's own offense (You'd have to lower Koufax for that; it matters less for post-90's pitchers), and (3) Relative league strength (I'm a little skeptical of Perry's AL years).

Using consecutive years helps those with a well-defined peak, like Maddux or Martinez, takes a bite out of anyone with a hurt/off year in the middle of their peak, like Gibson, and works strongly against those with widely scattered best years, like Clemens or Carlton.

I also decided to limit this to post-WWII pitchers, defining that in such a way as to wholly exclude both Feller and Newhouser. That lets me duck the questions of wartime competition (Newhouser) or the definition of consecutive (Feller). I also didn't use anyone not yet HoM eligible, so no Halladay, Santana, Kershaw, et al.

It would probably be worth it to repeat this with some other measures, maybe in particular Dan R's $.

He also notes he's working off an older set of park factors, so that might change results slightly.

Regardless, the point is "Pedro REAL FUCKIN' GOOD."

habeasdorkus
Nov 3, 2013

Pancakes posted:

Also have I completely missed them earlier or are both Johnny Bench and Pudge Rodriguez going to be top 34?

Pretty sure Bench will be, pretty sure Pudge won't be.

habeasdorkus
Nov 3, 2013

Pos likes peak a lot. Pudge was real good for a real long time as a catcher, and also consistent. I'd be curious if at the end Posnanski gives us an honorable mention list of the 25-30 guys who almost made it.

habeasdorkus
Nov 3, 2013

Salvor_Hardin posted:

I think the next market inefficiency is to borderline check swing on any 2-strike count. Umps see it and their brain pivots to "did he swing" and they are much less likely to call a strike.

The batter may also need to point to first base as fast as possible after the pitch.

That is some James Harden energy.

habeasdorkus
Nov 3, 2013

Yeah, but it's the Mets, so it doesn't even count.

habeasdorkus
Nov 3, 2013

The Assassination of Yoenis Cespedes by the Coward Mason Saunders.

habeasdorkus
Nov 3, 2013

And you have #s 32 through 100 of Posnanski's top 100 to catch up on. Each of which seems like at least a thousand words!

(32 days until the start of the season!)

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

habeasdorkus
Nov 3, 2013

Pancakes posted:

Active players still to come in the top 100: Trout, Pujols.

We also haven’t gotten into the PED guys so I don’t know if Bonds, Clemens or ARod will get knocked in stature over their use.

I think they'll be more or less untouched, based upon Poz's past stance on PEDs. Bonds in the top 10, Clemens in the top 20 (and either the first or second best MLB pitcher).

I think Paige is going to be the top 10 too, very possibly as the best pitcher ever.

e: There's 31 spots left, and I figure the following 28 players are locks to be somewhere in there, leaving 3 more. Who am I missing? Probably Lefty Grove, maybe Turkey Stearns? e2: AH gently caress I MISSED MANTLE.

Pitchers:
Walter Johnson
Randy Johnson
Greg Maddux
Roger Clemens
Pete Alexander
Satchel Paige

Catchers:
Josh Gibson
Johnny Bench

First Base:
Albert Pujols