Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Strelok604
Apr 26, 2020

That's how boomers thought for decades. Bonds and Williams never got 3000 hits because they were too good at not swinging at bad pitches and taking walks

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Strelok604
Apr 26, 2020

The player's union wants it, ownership wants it, the TV networks want it, universal DH is a matter of time. It's a miracle it's taken this long

Strelok604
Apr 26, 2020

I'll be a little dissapointed, then quietly get over it quickly and think why I was ok with a free black hole in every lineup. The NL and AL have their own histories as separate organizations even as the rules become the same

Strelok604
Apr 26, 2020

Isn't Schwarbs not even that bad? His 2019 OF DRS and UZR and both just slightly negative, but defensive stats sample size and all that

Strelok604
Apr 26, 2020

Sydin posted:

The Cubs are significantly better with the DH and that's been obvious for quite awhile now. Emotionally I like that the leagues are different and the rare pitcher dong rules, I will absolutely miss typing gently caress THE DH in the GDT's, but logically if I want my team to perform better I know I should be 100% for the universal DH.

The Cubs are my second team (my dad's from Chicago) so I've seen them enough the past few years to know that's true. Happ's come a good way from his debut year with the worryingly high strikeout rate

Strelok604
Apr 26, 2020

I'm pretty sure Manfred and the rest know this is delusional and are jsut trying to make it look like they're doing something, because even if they try to force this the authorities are gonna stop it. It's delusional to think sports are gonna happen before like october at the earliest

Strelok604
Apr 26, 2020

American individualism brainworms. When the dollar totals go up enough, people see no difference between millions and billions and lump players and owners together as greedy rich pigs when the players are the ones getting cut out of the pie.

Strelok604
Apr 26, 2020

Sydin posted:

If the MLBPA were even remotely competently run one of the first things they would have done when this situation arose was to tell the players to shut the hell up about any financial aspects so the union can let its own PR have a unified, sympathetic message with good presentation.

What's wild is that the MLBPA is by far the most successful of the 4 major sports unions; granted a lot of that was pioneering work by Marvin Miller, but still if you compare MLB contracts to stuff like NFL ones it's night and day.

Strelok604
Apr 26, 2020

Is miami's park really that bad at suppressing power that Yelich turned into barry bonds immediately upon leaving

Strelok604
Apr 26, 2020

GalacticAcid posted:

Was more his efforts to get the ball in the air more paid off big time. Which, the switch from a power suppressing park to a bandbox probably incentivized that.

Yeah I knew his GB% was always really high but I remembered it being higher than I expected still as a brewer. He was also better than I remembered in miami, but the nearly 50 point jump in average wRC+ surprised me. Launch angle is a meme for a reason

Strelok604
Apr 26, 2020

https://twitter.com/cdgoldstein/status/1262815541091340288

Strelok604
Apr 26, 2020

I'm forever annoyed my hatred of the cards makes me unable to enjoy that game.

Strelok604
Apr 26, 2020

Teams also have advanced talent calculating methods that the public don't have, they aren't dumb enough to be blind to the talent Bregman definitely has because of this scandal. He's still very good even without the cheating

Strelok604
Apr 26, 2020

My dad is a lifelong cubs fan and likes to wear his Ryan Theriot jersey to be cheeky and not seen as a bandwagoner

Strelok604
Apr 26, 2020

This hasn't ruined baseball for me, because the owners have always shamelessly been like this

Nothing's changed. I am miffed though because we were supposed to have Mookie this year, and who knows how much of a difference that would have made

Strelok604
Apr 26, 2020

Wasn't DeGrom a fringe bullpen prospect at one point? who knows how many major leaguers are going to have been cut

Strelok604
Apr 26, 2020

"intends to propose"

Sorry, but until there's an official statement of agreement I'm not gonna believe.

Strelok604
Apr 26, 2020

Cubs used to be my main team, but after the Addison Russell fiasco I just couldn't do it anymore.

Strelok604
Apr 26, 2020

TOS is what killed Matt Harvey too, right

Strelok604
Apr 26, 2020

Would college sports industries also not want academies to happen? Because it might undercut their spotlight

Strelok604
Apr 26, 2020

Has Bob Nightengale ever posted anything worth reading

His "news" isn't even correct

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Strelok604
Apr 26, 2020

A 58 game season would but illegitimate as hell, but it would be a fun exhibition "season", and certainly better than none. No one would take any "championship" won seriously