Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Craptacular!
Jul 9, 2001

Fuck the DH
Vin Scully on Pablo Sandoval in, uh, I think 2013?

"His weight is, you tell me. He's listed at 240.... Alright. Maybe so."

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Craptacular!
Jul 9, 2001

Fuck the DH

Salvor_Hardin posted:

gently caress Sinclair Broadcasting so much.

gently caress the RSN money scheme in general. The reason we have blackouts (and the ridiculous blackout map) isn't to make people go to games, it's to get you to buy cable. Because they'd still rather collect money from the entire basic cable population than collect more money per-person just from people who actually want to watch baseball. It's part of the reason why teams continue to shrug and not give too many shits about fan interest, because every boomer who buys cable for CBS and a cable news channel is paying the team.

The RSN money train has been heading for a derail for a long time, and I can't see any better metaphorical stone on the track like Sinclair owning so many of them. Because what it's really going to take is a big outcry from people who aren't sports fans, and half the country doesn't want to give a dime to Sinclair.

Popete posted:

Hey don't worry Cubs fans, Marquee has finally reached a contract agreement with the 4th largest cable provider in Chicago!

At least you guys have an actual choice in cable providers. That's insane to the vast, vaaaaaaaast majority of the nation.

Craptacular! fucked around with this message at 23:10 on Feb 27, 2020

Craptacular!
Jul 9, 2001

Fuck the DH
There's teams that seemingly don't care about playing in front of empty stadiums and with low TV ratings because of the money they're getting that's derived from the huge number of people who don't know what "the cycle" is and can't name a baseball player more recent than Bonds.

Fans need to stop yelling at providers that "I want my [team]" because that's just doing the work for them, they need to start yelling at RSNs that "you guys need to get on [whatever]". Baseball fans probably would be willing to pay for a specific RSN add-on like they do HBO, they'd be willing to buy local team access through MLB TV or whatever. Those who won't are 'stealing' now and will continue to do so and probably can't be wooed over. But especially the teams that own their own RSNs are killing the sport by doing this and Manfred needs to tell them to stop it.

Craptacular!
Jul 9, 2001

Fuck the DH

Edward Mass posted:

As long as it is profitable, RSNs will stay the same. The Victory Sports Ones of the world are few and far between.

The big thing is, again, realizing that negotiations are a two-party action and that when RSNs and teams try to rally fans to flood the carrier with calls, they're hurting not just themselves but everybody else.

Craptacular!
Jul 9, 2001

Fuck the DH
https://twitter.com/GrantBrisbee/status/1242233286694326272

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Craptacular!
Jul 9, 2001

Fuck the DH
Bobby Bonilla is making more money than a lot of active major leaguers this year!

Justin Verlander's paycheque is approximately only 10x Bobby Bonilla's age-57 retirement season.

Craptacular! fucked around with this message at 09:36 on Jul 1, 2020