Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Poque
Sep 11, 2003

=^-^=
it's hard to get shelled in fewer than three batters

Still a dumb rule though

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Poque
Sep 11, 2003

=^-^=

Inspector_666 posted:

I bought a Joba Chamberlain jersey way back in 2008 and now it's a Marcus Thames jersey!

Mmm yes I now have a Fernando Abad jersey instead of a, um, Jonathan Papelbon jersey. :stonk:

Poque
Sep 11, 2003

=^-^=

clown opinion

habeasdorkus posted:

Which, look, Jeff McNeil is real good and has put up ~7 WAR in under 200 games.

I read this as 200 ABs and was like, how the gently caress have I not heard of this dude

Poque
Sep 11, 2003

=^-^=

STAC Goat posted:

Altuve is at his core a decent guy who left to his own devices

devices eh

Poque
Sep 11, 2003

=^-^=

R.D. Mangles posted:

Almora and Heyward on a bash brothers poster but instead of them mashing forearms they're meticulously and ineffectively adjusting their swing mechanics.

hit a can of corn to the warn for dismal stats

Poque
Sep 11, 2003

=^-^=
Bellinger owns and is 100% correct

This season is gonna be loving awesome (no this is not about beanballs)

Poque
Sep 11, 2003

=^-^=

Thom P. Tiers posted:

I think it's super lovely if that happens (intentionally throwing baseballs 95+ MPH at people is dangerous as gently caress) and I can't believe MLB has been entirely silent on all the comments that have come out the last week or so. Obviously they are staying silent because they don't want to re-open or hand down any more punishment.

They can't say anything about it because they'd have to pretend they care about nets and fan safety

Poque
Sep 11, 2003

=^-^=
I'm interested to see all-star game voting

Poque
Sep 11, 2003

=^-^=

General Dog posted:

I hated the Astros until all of this came out and now I kind of like them

https://twitter.com/drmistercody/status/1020039128291786752

Poque
Sep 11, 2003

=^-^=

Popete posted:

Ah I just remembered Zobrist is a free agent and now I'm sad that he's probably done, he seemed like a really good guy. It's cool to see a guy play for so long and have a resurgence late in his career.

If he retires then his last MLB action will have been striking out Yadi (swinging).

Poque
Sep 11, 2003

=^-^=

rickiep00h posted:

That's Gene Autry and he was very well connected to the Angels.

Hmm, how about that chef who threw out the first pitch for the Nats instead of Trump?

Poque
Sep 11, 2003

=^-^=

STAC Goat posted:

Too early. Manfred's gonna ban banging.

sounds more like a Matheny move to me

Poque
Sep 11, 2003

=^-^=
I slept wrong like two days ago and haven't been able to move my arm since so I am basically Aaron Judge

Poque
Sep 11, 2003

=^-^=
How dare you make me remember that presser :cry:

Poque
Sep 11, 2003

=^-^=
hot drat, drag him Jonny

Poque
Sep 11, 2003

=^-^=

Sydin posted:

Because it's the owners who elect the commissioner, and the owners are only interested in their profit margins, not the actual game itself. It wouldn't surprise me in the least to learn that Manfred does not watch MLB outside of when he has to show up to games for publicity's sake and does not actually give a poo poo about the sport itself or its fans. He's a former anti-labor lawyer Selig brought in to try and knock down the MLBPA, and he was good enough at that job that the owners tapped him to run the show.

This just reminds me of Tom Ricketts picking up the NL Championship trophy in 2016 and Theo and Jed giving each other bug-eyed stares and declining to come anywhere near it

Poque
Sep 11, 2003

=^-^=

Red posted:

This is how I’ve approached Jim Thome, Manny Ramirez, and Kyle Farnsworth, and it has vastly enhanced my experience to think that Jim Thome stops to shake everyone’s hand during home run trots before immediately heading to a Waffle House to buy everyone dinner.

Poque
Sep 11, 2003

=^-^=
Only the MLB players union could lose to the commissioner saying that the trophy is worthless

Poque
Sep 11, 2003

=^-^=

Sydin posted:

For a team that's pretty much a slam dunk to finish under .500 this season barring literally everything going right and then some, the Giants are having a pretty good PR offseason by bringing back Pence, giving a huge financial boost to their MiLB players, and telling Huff to gently caress off.

Bringing in Alyssa Nakken too.

Poque
Sep 11, 2003

=^-^=

HOTLANTA MAN posted:

Fox South hired something called a Kelly Crull to replace Kelsey Wingert. She used to work Cubs games so i already hate her.

And with chip in the booth i was just thinking "man we dont hear enough about the loving Cubs during Braves games"

Kelly Crull is truly excellent and all the players loved having her around. It won't take long before she's your favorite.

Poque
Sep 11, 2003

=^-^=

seiferguy posted:

One of my favorite things to do is to remember a really bad year and try to remember who got the majority starts in each position. A lot of "remembering some guys" going on there.

Darwin Barney led the 2012 Cubs in WAR. He also had a 76 OPS+

Poque
Sep 11, 2003

=^-^=

GalacticAcid posted:

Pretty funny seeing the thread turn so pro-bean ball. Seem to recall everyone crying about Clint Hurdle because whatever idiot national writers they follow told them that he was ordering tons of hit batsmen

Simpler days

good thing this never happened with anybody who posts here regularly

Poque
Sep 11, 2003

=^-^=
I saw that media release and was wondering when we got so loving sarcastic

Poque
Sep 11, 2003

=^-^=

If only he had somebody to run for him

Poque
Sep 11, 2003

=^-^=

STAC Goat posted:

I could never turn my "bat swing" into a "golf club swing." It just always came out all weird and funny.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=knUPMYzrGxo

Poque
Sep 11, 2003

=^-^=

Three batter minimum :mmmhmm:

Poque
Sep 11, 2003

=^-^=
I have this vague memory of ARod being #canceled for something this offseason but I can't think of what it was now. I think I might just be thinking of Mendoza's bootlicking and applying it to that whole broadcast team

Poque
Sep 11, 2003

=^-^=

Intruder posted:

Replay shouldn't be used to determine if a baserunner came off the bag for a fraction of a second, other than that ehhh

:emptyquote:

Poque
Sep 11, 2003

=^-^=
Umps are cops

Poque
Sep 11, 2003

=^-^=

euphronius posted:

In a metaphor to real life umps would be judges not cops but .. maybe you are calling them cops for another reason which I also get

:hmmyes:

Poque
Sep 11, 2003

=^-^=

Poque
Sep 11, 2003

=^-^=

Sydin posted:

Puig is coming off back to back years of <1 bWAR. His current ceiling is a low .800's OPS bat and his floor is a mid .700's one, which isn't bad but he's not going to the deciding factor in pushing your team over the edge to contention. Add on top of that he's a known annoyance in the clubhouse and also very publicly sparked a huge rear end brawl last year in that Reds/Pirates game. Also add on top of that he's probably not interested in what few offers he may be getting, which are probably league minimum or minor league split deals.

Puig is a huge amount of fun to watch as a fan, but I can understand why any organization that actually has to put up him considers him not worth the headache.

He hasn't had a year of <1 bWAR ever

Poque
Sep 11, 2003

=^-^=
Yeah, he put up 2.7 in 2018 playing in 125 games. 1.4 last year is low but he was also being shuffled around between teams, I think he's still worth a look. That said, we have no idea if he's been offered anything and is turning it down to look for a bigger payday - gotta imagine that someone like Puig looking at his first free agent contract is probably seeing a significant gulf between his wants and what teams are willing to offer.

Poque
Sep 11, 2003

=^-^=
in these trying coronavirus times we can't have a player who licks and kisses everything in sight

Poque
Sep 11, 2003

=^-^=
Puig...NOT your friend? :confused:

Poque
Sep 11, 2003

=^-^=
tweeting "they don't know if he's being tested for coronavirus!" is so loving stupid and irresponsible

Poque
Sep 11, 2003

=^-^=
I'm told to expect an update today but it's unclear if that means just the Cubs internally or some sort of league thing

in the meantime, our most recent update told us to expect more details at our all-associates meeting where they want hundreds of us to cram into a meeting room together, so that's fun

Poque
Sep 11, 2003

=^-^=
weird how the oldest, whitest, and most conservative sports league is the one taking the longest to do anything meaningful

Poque
Sep 11, 2003

=^-^=
Finally Astros players get suspended

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Poque
Sep 11, 2003

=^-^=
GIVE ME TWO WEEKS OFF COWARDS