Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

GoatSeeGuy
Dec 26, 2003

What if Jerome Walton made me a champion?

Is this Anti-Green Fields of the Mind Day?

Either way here's to another season of frustration, MLB blackouts, and Financial Flexibility!

https://www.baseballprospectus.com/news/article/56873/eyewitness-account-flexibility/

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

GoatSeeGuy
Dec 26, 2003

Popete posted:

Uh hey guy your sexual organs are exposed.

...in a strip mall parking lot.

GoatSeeGuy
Dec 26, 2003

R.D. Mangles posted:

Almora and Heyward on a bash brothers poster but instead of them mashing forearms they're meticulously and ineffectively adjusting their swing mechanics.

You could make it a wall calendar with how often Heyward changes his swing. "A year of soft grounders to second" coming to a mall kiosk near you.

GoatSeeGuy
Dec 26, 2003

Sydin posted:

Meanwhile if you asked me what player on the Cubs would have ripped the hardest into the Astros cheating, I would not have answered Bryant:

Good. While I doubt it’ll happen I’d love to see Bryant be less “Aw shucks, golly gosh darnit” going forward. He’s a big union guy and would make a great public face/poster child for the players when the next CBA negotiations eventually go full clusterfuck. Sadly I’m not sure how many players would volunteer for that spot after the last round of guys like Tom Glavine were poo poo on by the boot licker brigade for years.

GoatSeeGuy
Dec 26, 2003

Niwrad posted:

Eliminate the loving blackout rule and problem solved. But no.....we need to make you face 3 hitters now. That'll bring the kids back!

The blackout rules aren't going away until the RSN bubble bursts for all the reasons stated before. MLB doesn't want your 125 bucks (But they're happy to take it) they want 15-20 bucks a month, depending on how many networks you get, from everyone in the region. So far "Live Sports!" is seen as the last big draw for subscribers, but with Dish, YouTubeTV, and I guess Philo going a different route that may change in a hurry. TV deals will always be a revenue source, but nowadays they are THE revenue source.

After the Ueberroth era of promotion/marketing/collusion came the Selig Stadium Bonanza of the 90's. Now it's TV money both running the show, and pumping up team valuations. I really don't know what MLB can pivot to next if/when the bubble goes bust.

GoatSeeGuy
Dec 26, 2003

BigBallChunkyTime posted:

So is Bryant not getting actively shopped anymore?

Not till Comcast signs.

In reality, apparently not- unless the Cubs decide they’re out of it come trading deadline time or choose to “soft rebuild” next winter.

GoatSeeGuy
Dec 26, 2003

Mayveena posted:

Sorry if this is the wrong place but is there still going to be sharing for the MLB league pass? Also a link to the right thread would be appreciated.

I will bang for you!

https://forums.somethingawful.com/showthread.php?threadid=3914848

GoatSeeGuy
Dec 26, 2003

coronavirus posted:

Does Batista actually have a chance of being useful in the bigs again if in theory he could still hit .225 with 20 HR power, and could throw 1 IP at 93 MPH every few days? Some kind of reliever that you could leave in slot to hit in the NL?

Is there something about the new rules that would make someone like this super useful because of the new 3 battle reliever rule?

The name you’re looking for is Brooks Kieschnick. He managed to scrape out a few years of just that.

We’re probably going to see the inverse of that with Brendan McKay. He’s got #2-3 starter upside and a AAA/AAAA bat at first so he may end up doing some more pinch hitting this year.

GoatSeeGuy
Dec 26, 2003

Popete posted:

Alright, let's not get carried away here

We're just half-horsing around here...

GoatSeeGuy
Dec 26, 2003

abelwingnut posted:

i don't think things will be better come july, but if by some chance they are, just play half a season and go from there. make june the new spring training, with those spring training games having no fans, and in very isolated areas. maybe constrain the games to however many parks make sense so you could play 3 a day between all different clubs. i don't know--this can be worked out.

i really don't know what else can be done? and even this, to me, is optimistic. i don't think people realize how bad this is going to be. at loving all.

Depending on how long we’re in this you could Superbowl it for a season and say the World Series and maybe all postseason games are assigned to non-Houston domed stadiums because gently caress you Jim Crane. Of course, that could all turn to poo poo if (read: when) Cronavirus gets renewed for a second season this fall.

gently caress it, let’s do it Little League style- we’ve got 2 fields at the Field Of Dreams and it’s flamingly remote in the middle of nowhere. Just start at 7AM and play through the night. We can get 10-12 games in every day. Just make sure there’s a doctor on hand for any children choking or high fevers.

GoatSeeGuy
Dec 26, 2003

Turk Wendell is the reason I don’t wear socks to this day.

I miss baseball.

GoatSeeGuy
Dec 26, 2003

Growing up around minor league I-Cubs and having WGN kinda clouded my list...

C: Jody- Jody Davis!
1B: Mark Grace
2B: Ryne Sandberg with the mustache.
SS: Javy by himself, Shawon Dunston with the Shawon-O-Meter
3B: Gary Scott.....oh what could have been. I was at his MLB debut.
OF: Sammy Sosa
OF: Andre Dawson
OF: Barry Bonds
DH: Should be abolished.

SP: Greg Maddux
SP: Nolan Ryan
SP: Any Knuckleballer
SP: Jake Arrieta
SP: Mike Mussina
RP: Turk Wendell
RP: Randy Myers
RP: Laddie Renfroe
RP: Mitch Williams who is a complete bastard so I’m only counting through 1989.

GoatSeeGuy
Dec 26, 2003

Sydin posted:

I still have no idea how to bunt since The Show 19. Bunting, particularly sac bunting, used to be the easiest thing in the goddamn world. Now I seemingly can't do loving anything besides miss a bunt, bunt foul, or bunt too hard and at a minimum get the lead runner thrown out. I've tried using the stick to choose the direction of my bunt that just seems to make my bunts even shittier.

The universe is sending you a hint...

GoatSeeGuy
Dec 26, 2003

Crazy Ted posted:

Next on Sport Science, we break down the mechanics of Goku's swing BY THE NUMBERS

While the fastball lacks movement at times and doesn’t have the typical velocity you’d expect from a power arm we still grade it an 80 thanks to elite spin rate which scouts say is OVER 9000!!

GoatSeeGuy
Dec 26, 2003

If you have any interest at all about baseball in the early 1900's you need to read The Glory of Their Times by Lawrence Ritter.

When Ty Cobb died Ritter decided to travel coast to coast interviewing old ballplayers that were still kicking in the mid-60's, including running into Cobb's old teammate Sam Crawford in a laundromat IIRC. It's been a few....umm, decades since I've read the whole thing but you get some Hall of Famers, some forgotten superstars of that era, and some turn of the century David Ecksteins as well. There's also an "audiobook" which is basically the interview recordings but it's a great read.

GoatSeeGuy
Dec 26, 2003

The greatest game ever pitched. Fight me.

Here comes the (left) hook!

GoatSeeGuy
Dec 26, 2003

Dinosaurs! posted:

Look at all these beautiful/handsome 2003 posters.

GoatSeeGuy
Dec 26, 2003

Red posted:

I feel like a 'Mariners good guy' list would be a long one. I wish Buhner had been able to squeeze out a few more years.

Too bad about that "Mariners good team" list. Maybe Leo Durocher was right.

GoatSeeGuy
Dec 26, 2003

Monkeys Win!

Only registered members can see post attachments!

GoatSeeGuy
Dec 26, 2003

Tom Gorman posted:

Yeah, I have no doubt younger Ryan was touching 105 on occasion. He definitely had no clue where the hell it was going though.

My Favorite RyanFact is that his last pitch ever was clocked at 98MPH, without a functioning ulnar collateral ligament. Looking at someone like Aroldis Chapman's Max velocity/average velocity decline over the last few years puts 105ish completely in the realm of possibility especially over 20+ years in MLB.

uggy posted:

I mean dan quizenberry topped out at 80 in the 80s I assume fastest they’d ever seen in the 50s was like 95.

110 my rear end, baseball mythologizes so loving hard instead of saying hey these new players are in fact better than everybody who has played before.

The data is all over the place before radar guns. http://scoutee.co/the-historic-quest-for-speed-in-baseball

GoatSeeGuy
Dec 26, 2003

No Safe Word posted:

"rising" doesn't mean "thrown at an upward angle" though, it means the lift on the ball overpowers gravity pulling down on it

so, nope no more than any other pitcher

Not so much overpower, but thanks to the spin the ball doesn't drop as much as the batter's eyes have been trained to expect. Our eyes and brain make a lot of educated guesses.

ScottyJSno posted:

I went in my back yard and practiced throwing curve balls for an hour with my son today. Now my arm feels like it is going to fall off.

Thanks for reading my story.

About 15 years after a HS pitching career in the 90's that was 95% advil, ice, and elbow pain I was invited to a Twins days fantasy camp dry run at Target Field. Hit on the field, shagged BP balls, took some grounders at short, and they had even lined up some local catchers to man the bullpen so you could snap a few off under the tutelage of Jack Morris. (who taught me the right way to throw a spitball!) After that day literally everything hurt, except my throwing arm.

GoatSeeGuy fucked around with this message at 20:56 on Apr 26, 2020

GoatSeeGuy
Dec 26, 2003

I assume all the rest will be UDFA?

aka "Here's a thousand bucks and a coach ticket to Arizona. Take it or leave it"

GoatSeeGuy
Dec 26, 2003

Poque posted:

imagine how new Heyward's swing will be with all this extra lead time. Just the newest swing possible.

I can already feel the weak ground balls to second...

GoatSeeGuy
Dec 26, 2003

General Bullshit posted:

MLB really should just play all its games in Taiwan or Korea.

I dunno man, asking players to leave their families and uproot themselves to avoid the horrid conditions of their homeland while having to learn a new language, customs, even cuisine in a strange place? Unconscionable for you to even ask.

They probably won't even play the game "the right way".

GoatSeeGuy
Dec 26, 2003

bawfuls posted:

owners are going to kill this sport

They don't care as long as they know they can cash out for multiples of what they paid for their franchises. Which they can.

Growth is the next sucker's problem.

GoatSeeGuy
Dec 26, 2003

Popete posted:

Even if teams were losing money the owners could still very well be making it. The Ricketts bought up a bunch of property surrounding Wrgley Field and renovated it. They've opened a hotel across the street. They are making a killing off of pre/post game crowds that probably rivals what the games themselves generate.

This is why any percentage based salary formula is doomed to failure. Over the decades owners have gotten so good at hiding actual revenue (as opposed to shared “Baseball Revenue”) With accounting tricks from RSN ownership, concerts, real estate development, etc. from each other, of course the players would never get a clean look at the books. Owners will claim there’s no link to the actual baseball operations but just one example- the Cubs have to play more day home games because the Ricketts family wants to use 5-6 of their available nights every year for concerts which certainly make more than an April night game with the Pirates.

GoatSeeGuy
Dec 26, 2003

One of my favorite memories as a kid was 154 games a year on WGN with Harry Caray and Steve Stone.

As an 80's latchkey kid that's how I ended up here. Geraldo came on at 11, news at noon, The Lead Off Man at 1:00 and the game at 1:20. After school I could catch a a couple innings if I hustled, FYI: I will never forgive my 4th grade teacher for giving me detention the day Harry came back from his stroke.

I know Cable isn't anywhere near the colossus it was and our entertainment options have grown exponentially since then but MLB has gone from a relatively forward thinking (MLBAM was a masterstroke) marketing juggernaut (Peter Ueberroth was hired to market the game the same way Manfred was hired to bust the union) to a group of kleptocrats determined to wall their garden off as much as possible to kill that drat goose once and for all.

GoatSeeGuy
Dec 26, 2003

Its Rinaldo posted:

Ichiro was the best that's true.

While Joe Maddon can be maddening at times, his love of the safety squeeze was fun and I hope Ross keeps it up.

GoatSeeGuy
Dec 26, 2003

R.D. Mangles posted:

lmao i forgot that david ross was the manager of the chicago cubs

Honestly so did I until I was posting that.

It seems like we've had another full offseason since the rona stopped spring training. I'm not sure it's the time off, or that the Cubs have made the same number of moves.

GoatSeeGuy
Dec 26, 2003

FlamingLiberal posted:

The Astros reported a positive test but no other information

How many bangs for positive, how many for negative?

GoatSeeGuy
Dec 26, 2003

Quick, someone tell him it's a KBO tradition for newly arrived foreigners to bring back a stolen banner from Pyongyang.

GoatSeeGuy
Dec 26, 2003

Big Mean Jerk posted:

Wine is garbage juice that mostly tastes the same, and I’m completely qualified to say this because I’m part italian. :colbert:

Everything is beneath you once you ascend Strawberry Hill.

GoatSeeGuy
Dec 26, 2003

TMMadman posted:

Actually, you know I would actually be open to the idea of the NL DH being strictly limited to pinch hitting, but he could be used X number of times per game (although only once per inning) instead of taking the place of the pitcher in the lineup. Pinch hitting for a position player would require the player to be replaced, but maybe 1 time per game the NL DH could bat for the pitcher without the pitcher needing to be replaced.

One thing I don't outright hate (Unlike the runner on 2nd to start extra innings. It's going to the R-S-T-L-N-E of baseball as has been said and boring as gently caress) is the idea of the DH taking the spot of the starting pitcher only. It's an incentive to keep managers from Hendricksing pitchers in the 4th, keeps the late game strategy, and maybe even introduces some gamesmanship with where to slot in your DH.

I like pinch hitters damnit.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

GoatSeeGuy
Dec 26, 2003

Inspector_666 posted:

Cubsposting

in

S T E R E O

It'll be 7.1 surround sound before midnight with all the discords and offshoots popping up.