Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

No Safe Word
Feb 26, 2005

Slimy Hog posted:

What does the "N/V" part of the thread title mean?

IcePhoenix posted:

News/Views

It's to distinguish it from "GDT" (game day threads) basically as the persistent (usually for one month at a time once the season starts)

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

No Safe Word
Feb 26, 2005

I'm ready to fully embrace Dustyball and be disappointed

Alternatively, we win again this year and we get gobs of audio/video replay analysis to figure out how they're cheating this time

No Safe Word
Feb 26, 2005

Popete posted:

If the trash can didn't wanna be banged it shouldn't have been there.

It was asking for it, I mean did you see what the trash can was wea-- ahh I can't even finish that

No Safe Word
Feb 26, 2005

Intruder posted:

It's not Reddick's fault he was on the playoff roster

Joey Votto was spotted near the trash can

Can we bring the offseason N/V thread title back?

No Safe Word
Feb 26, 2005

coronavirus posted:

The Astros certainly violated the honest competition of the game of baseball.
This ain't it

The sign-stealing wasn't the problem, it was the means in which they did it. And they 100% did violate the stated rules for that. But "honest competition of the game of baseball" is ... laughable.

No Safe Word
Feb 26, 2005

Thom P. Tiers posted:

The Dodgers have ended their season losing to the World Series champion four years in a row.

The Buffalo Bills of the twenty teens

No Safe Word
Feb 26, 2005

SilvergunSuperman posted:

Token blonde replaces token blonde. :shrug:

Cool misogyny

No Safe Word
Feb 26, 2005

SilvergunSuperman posted:

I wasn't being sexist, I was pointing out how every single one is a white blonde. Is there a single poc in the role? Seriously, try googling it.

Considering the dipshits falling over themselves to be first in the woke line to accuse me of misogyny are probably whiter than wonderbread, of course they wouldn't find anything odd about that.

Reducing a woman to her hair color and implying that they're fungible doesn't exactly scream progressive

No Safe Word
Feb 26, 2005

Tom Gorman posted:

I don't know poo poo about rodeos. Seems to me it's pretty stupid, and real easy to get kicked in the fuckin brains while horsing around

If a player I was gonna sign had a hobby of, I dunno, "self-built hot air balloon piloting" I'd be concerned. Rodeos are in the same pile

They're definitely dangerous for some events. I've only seen one source point to any specific event, which was steer roping, which isn't all that risky as rodeo events go. Still more than I'd want my multimillionaire employee to be doing.

No Safe Word
Feb 26, 2005

Goddamn, I didn't realize how bad they've been historically. Funny how that 2004 team was actually super bad in spite of Ichiro literally setting the single-season hit record, and frankly having a not-bad roster except a super questionable rotation.

No Safe Word
Feb 26, 2005

seiferguy posted:

Not sure what you could call a not bad roster when only 3 qualified players hit above 100+ OPS for that season.

Edit: you would think with a rotation that had Moyer, Pineiro, Garcia and Meche would be a little bit better though...

No, clearly they PERFORMED badly but it's not like a team full of almost entirely no-names like the 2013 Astros where even fans of the team probably couldn't name most of the starters. And yeah they were old, but not so old you'd expect them all to be as bad as they were.

No Safe Word
Feb 26, 2005

https://twitter.com/chandler_rome/status/1233456342662307840?s=21

someone find me video of this

No Safe Word
Feb 26, 2005

bewbies posted:

gary "typhoid mary" sanchez

typhoid gary is right there, bewbies!

No Safe Word
Feb 26, 2005

Big Mean Jerk posted:

Televised games without crowds would probably give you great player chatter because you could actually hear it.

yeah weren't we just talking about how we wanted more "mic'd up player games"? This is one way to get that experience

No Safe Word
Feb 26, 2005

I don't know where he ranks in absolute terms but it was fun as hell watching him Ji-Man Choi dig stuff at first and make plays during the ALDS

No Safe Word
Feb 26, 2005

rickiep00h posted:

Finally got around to watching the first part of Mariners History and I've already decided franchises moving is the dumbest thing ever.

Signed, a Twins/Senators fan.
Agreed.

Signed, a former Houston Oilers fan

(yeah yeah we got the Rockets from San Diego but come on they're the freaking Rockets they belong here)

No Safe Word
Feb 26, 2005

Intruder posted:

Sounds like Adam Everett

Adam Everett was amazing don't you dare

Not his fault he was built like a small child and had to lay out for things

No Safe Word
Feb 26, 2005

Slimy Hog posted:

A flight from NYC to LA is only 5-6 hours and not the 12 hours Crazy Ted is talking about.

It's at least 10 hours in the opposite direction if you count all the things he mentions (like 4 hours of timezone changes)

No Safe Word
Feb 26, 2005

Poque posted:

Jason Schmidt but honestly he might have only had a few good seasons

very similarly, Russ Ortiz

No Safe Word
Feb 26, 2005

Mayveena posted:

I don't know folks, I wonder if stadiums as they are constructed now are gone for good. Even if the person next to you had a mask on would you feel comfortable? I don't think I would.

This would mean movie theaters, every concert/play/musical, etc. would also be gone for good. So .... nah.

No Safe Word
Feb 26, 2005

Red posted:

1. The way it was worded, I think they meant Moyer had faced 9% of MLB players at that time, not 9% now.

2. Given that Nolan pitched in the 60s, 70s, 80s, and 90s, I can see him having faced a poo poo-ton of people, buuuut - they didn't have interleague during his career.

Nolan pitched a fair amount in both leagues at least (actually, looking at BR basically half his career in each league)

No Safe Word
Feb 26, 2005

RCarr posted:

Can a submariner throw a rising fastball? I would think they could.

"rising" doesn't mean "thrown at an upward angle" though, it means the lift on the ball overpowers gravity pulling down on it

so, nope no more than any other pitcher

No Safe Word
Feb 26, 2005

IcePhoenix posted:

gently caress the Astros

kiss the virtual rings?

No Safe Word
Feb 26, 2005

blossommirage posted:

Also, I hate the DH emotionally, but logically this is the best move. It's gonna take some time to get used to, but I don't think I've ever seen an American League fan complain they never get to see their pitchers hit.

As a fan of a team who made the move it was a pretty quick rip-off of that band-aid. Though our team was hot garbage at the time so it was hard to care too much about anything, I suppose. And even now with a very good hitting pitcher in our starting rotation I still wouldn't really miss it. I would be sad if Greinke didn't get a PH appearance at some point though.

No Safe Word
Feb 26, 2005

if you're genuinely confused/curious it's perennial shitposter Pittsburgh Fentanyl Cloud

No Safe Word
Feb 26, 2005

UZR IS BULLSHIT posted:

I haven't watched that Mariners thing yet, is there some specific thing that made the card appreciate so much? Or is it just increased attention?

It's mentioned but it's not more than a minute or so of one episode. Just the increased attention probably.

No Safe Word
Feb 26, 2005

Bregman is cocky and competitive and condoned/directly participated in a cheating scheme, all of which can make him an rear end in a top hat at times. But he's still proving to at least be a generally good person with empathy and compassion. And he's pretty good at baseball too.

No Safe Word
Feb 26, 2005

Lucania posted:

The Red Sox responded to Torii Hunter's comments regarding the racism he experienced in Fenway:

https://twitter.com/RedSox/status/1270829983922098178?s=19

so ... good that they own it but then it's also completely empty of any actual actions they're taking because they kind of shrug their shoulders at it

then again, I don't think even the Red Sox have the capacity to suddenly make Boston sports fans (or even just Red Sox cans) not just massively racist in significant numbers

No Safe Word
Feb 26, 2005

GalacticAcid posted:

DH production by team in 2019...MIN and KCR got the most out of the position. Martinez is an anomaly and not reflective of how that lineup spot is used leaguewide now

That's with Astros only getting half a season of my Large Slugging Son Yordan though :getin:

No Safe Word
Feb 26, 2005

Popete posted:

I probably shouldn't say this for fear of eating a perma-ban but I actually love bunts.

Give me a bunt single over a dinger any day.

mods? transfer Spo's probe to this post instead

No Safe Word
Feb 26, 2005

Intruder posted:

Not even a cheapie pull job down the line, a straight bomb to right center

e: QUESTION

Does it have to be the day's pitcher to qualify as a pitcher dinger? We'd agree that, say, if a pitcher pinch hit for a worse hitting pitcher and hit one out it'd be a pitcher dinger even if he doesn't pitch in that game right?

So Ohtani will have the final pitcher dinger, and many of them

Ohtani pinch hitting and getting a dinger isn't a pitcher dinger, he plays regularly as a non-pitcher

Greinke/MadBum pinch hitting and getting a dinger is because they don't ever play anything but

No Safe Word
Feb 26, 2005

bawfuls posted:

alternatively, DH must play 1 inning in the field per team game played

the DH must pitch to 1 batter every 3 innings they are in the lineup

No Safe Word
Feb 26, 2005

Sure, a bunt can be exciting

But every dinger owns, so... checkmate bunt apologists

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

No Safe Word
Feb 26, 2005

R.D. Mangles posted:

lmao i forgot that david ross was the manager of the chicago cubs

The Pussy Boss posted:

Same thing keeps happening to me. Some Giants site will mention Kapler and I'm like huh??? Oh right, he's the manager lol

Literally had to think for a beat until I remembered it's Dustymania here in H-tine