Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Flavius Aetass
Mar 30, 2011
Hey, I've been thinking about having a thread like this for a while. I like to talk about being a dad and I know other parents like to talk about their experiences as well, so I wanted to make a place for us to hang out without holding back important parts of our lives so we don't seem like buzzkills in the :killing: threads

:siren: Thread rules, likely to be updated :siren:

DO:

- Share as much as you want or as little as you want
- Ask questions about kids or parenting (non-parents too!)
- Talk about how parenting relates to the Trump era, leftism, climate change, etc.
- Share funny things your kid said
- Brag about your kid's crayon drawings or promotion at their adult job
- Complain about getting old and how it sucks
- Discuss discipline and other controversial issues respectfully

DON'T:

- Question why someone would have a kid in this doomed earth, etc.
- Be a dick about the concept of having kids
- Talk about "beating [kid's] rear end" etc.
- Say anything remotely loving creepy about someone's kid, at all
- Melt down over circumcision or spanking or whatever

:siren: :siren:

Anyway, my 8-year-old daughter was questioning why I like boring cereal at breakfast today, which led to me talking about how I like all kinds of boring things and how studying history contextualizes the present and let's us know what should be acceptable and what society's goals should be, to which she interrupted me with :rolleyes: "jon arbuckle..."

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Alan Smithee
Jan 4, 2005

A man becomes preeminent, he's expected to have enthusiasms.

Enthusiasms, enthusiasms...
what if we are failsons with no children

Flavius Aetass
Mar 30, 2011
i'd expect that you have some peace and quiet before 9 PM

silvergoose
Mar 18, 2006

IT IS SAID THE TEARS OF THE BWEENIX CAN HEAL ALL WOUNDS

But the PB chocolate puffs cereal (I get the store brand at Wegmans but reeses is the name brand) isn't boring but is the best cereal hands down.

I know this because my kids whine for it.

ikanreed
Sep 25, 2009

I honestly I have no idea who cannibal[SIC] is and I do not know why I should know.

syq dude, just syq!
My baby is still a baby, but I can smell the future reaction of his generation when Bernie doesn't solve every problem.

Or maybe that's milk barf

Leroy Diplowski
Aug 25, 2005

The Candyman Can :science:

Visit My Candy Shop

And SA Mart Thread
Breeder crew reporting for duty

My 8yr old son saved up his money and just bought an iPad off Craigslist. I'm now torn between letting him become a screen elemental and policing his every move.

It has led to us having a lot of conversation about the costs of a free app wrt privacy and data and fake news (he was following the Iowa primary). It's hard to know how to explain all the this stuff to a kid because no one ever explained it to me but there's different stuff in the world.

Leroy Diplowski has issued a correction as of 16:45 on Feb 12, 2020

Sojenus
Dec 28, 2008

my kid is doing an excellent job of equally distributing her food to the dog, but at one and a half or so she's nearing the mental and emotional age of your average libertarian so i need to be vigilant

ikanreed
Sep 25, 2009

I honestly I have no idea who cannibal[SIC] is and I do not know why I should know.

syq dude, just syq!

Sojenus posted:

my kid is doing an excellent job of equally distributing her food to the dog, but at one and a half or so she's nearing the mental and emotional age of your average libertarian so i need to be vigilant

Definitely be careful. That age is what they call their dating pool.

Flavius Aetass
Mar 30, 2011

Sojenus posted:

i make it a point not to lecture about politics so that she can come up with her own ideas and i can offer gentle guidance when appropriate

she's still basically a communist and it rules

she said if she's president she'd have (paraphrasing) open borders and a house for everyone

one time she asked me how much my car cost and when i told her she cried, because poor people couldn't afford that. she said it should be a law that cars only cost $20

ikanreed
Sep 25, 2009

syq dude, just syq!

Flavius Aetass posted:

i make it a point not to lecture about politics so that she can come up with her own ideas and i can offer gentle guidance when appropriate

she's still basically a communist and it rules

she said if she's president she'd have (paraphrasing) open borders and a house for everyone

one time she asked me how much my car cost and when i told her she cried, because poor people couldn't afford that. she said it should be a law that cars only cost $20

You clearly need to give her more toy trains

new kind of cat
May 8, 2007

i have a 15 month old son and he kicks raw rear end. becoming a dad was probably the best thing i ever did in this failure of a life of mine lol. he will be a strong warrior in the climate wars of the futur3e.

i just hope he can forgive me for putting that fate upon him.

Kaedric
Sep 5, 2000

I have tons of kids, but I do wonder if I'm a good or bad influence:

Was driving in the car the other day with my eldest (10), and I don't remember what we were talking about, I think renting a home vs buying? Anyway, she says "is the problem capitalism?" Naturally I said yes, but that it would take a lot of explaining to make her understand and to be careful about saying that kind of stuff at school.

I want to be clear, this wasn't 'oh my god look how smart my child is' stdh.txt, it was because she's always around watching youtube with me and I watch a ton of breadtube. She just glommed off some of the vocab. I want to make my children into good little ancoms, but I feel like they don't know enough about exploitation/oppression at their age to really grasp it.

Flavius Aetass
Mar 30, 2011
yeah i agree. the last thing i want is my kid to just parrot what i say until she casts it off at a later age to be a libertarian or something

ikanreed
Sep 25, 2009

syq dude, just syq!

Flavius Aetass posted:

yeah i agree. the last thing i want is my kid to just parrot what i say until she casts it off at a later age to be a libertarian or something

"Challenge authority or no desert for a week"

silvergoose
Mar 18, 2006

ikanreed posted:

"Challenge authority or no desert for a week"

Okay yeah I don't think very many kids will have a problem that you stopped them from dying of heat and dehydration.

Another Bill
Sep 27, 2018

Born on the bayou
died in a cave
bbq and posting
is all I crave

I'm really proud of my elementary school aged children because I bought them a Switch for christmas and they're already finally competitive at MarioKart :kiddo::hf::kiddo:

Organic Lube User
Apr 15, 2005

Thank you for starting this thread, I'm kinda surprised PHIZ KALIFA didn't start it first based on his posts in the A/T Parenting thread.

I've been listening to the Parents Just Don't Understand podcast lately, which reviews children's media from a leftish perspective. It's been useful for helping me justify putting my foot down with bootlicky stuff like Paw Patrol and pointing me towards stuff like True and DC Superhero Girls for my 2 year old daughter, who I am planning to train as an antifa supersoldier.

Organic Lube User has issued a correction as of 00:33 on Feb 13, 2020

silvergoose
Mar 18, 2006

Oh yeah surprisingly Amazon prime has good original content. Stinky and dirty, tumble leaf, creative galaxy.

Organic Lube User
Apr 15, 2005

silvergoose posted:

Oh yeah surprisingly Amazon prime has good original content. Stinky and dirty, tumble leaf, creative galaxy.

I haven't looked around Prime much, mostly Netflix, D+, and whatever I can find on my Plex shares. But I'd love to join in some discussion here on kids shows and movies.

The DC Superhero Girls show has been great because it's lively enough to engage my 2 year old daughter's attention regularly, so hopefully by the time she is actually following characters and narratives she can start picking up on some from this show, which portrays women in a real, empowered light, while all the male characters tend to be fuckups who need the help of the girls. It also has kind of a Clone High vibe, since it's all DC characters but placed into a highschool setting.

On the flip side, Boss Baby is absolute succ garbage. I'm pretty sure kids raised on the movie and show will turn into Proud Boys and tradwives.

I can't wait to get her into Steven Universe and Gravity Falls. Maybe even Doctor Who, if I can ever get her interested in live action stuff.

Also, when is a good time to start teaching her the foundational philosophical concepts of Marxism-Leninism? Is there a Communist Manifesto board book out there? I've already got the graphic novel version of A People's History for when she's old enough to grok it.

Organic Lube User has issued a correction as of 02:52 on Feb 13, 2020

Flavius Aetass
Mar 30, 2011
No idea, but I've tried to instill in mine a healthy sense of taking nationalist bs with a grain of salt without causing waves at school

Big Mad Drongo
Nov 10, 2006

I am losing my mind a bit, thanks to the great working conditions of the modern U.S. one of my pregnant wife's co-workers came in to work three days straight with what looked like flu, and only stopped coming in when the symptoms got bad enough that she saw a doctor who confirmed it was flu.

My wife has the vaccine, but her immune system sucks even when it isn't shot from pregnancy and when she gets sick she gets hit HARD, and she's showing symptoms. Seeing the doctor later today, so hopefully we can get her on meds before things get bad, but I'm about as terrified as I've ever been in my life.

Apologies that this is outside of usual parenting chat but as said I'm losing my mind and I don't have anywhere else to vent about how our horrible culture/medical situation is putting my wife and unborn daughter at risk.

Organic Lube User
Apr 15, 2005

That poo poo makes my blood boil. I caught an ad for some flu medication that portrayed a teacher toughing out her flu symptoms and I started yelling at the TV to ask the void why that idiot was exposing her students to the loving flu in the first place.
gently caress America, gently caress pharmaceutical ads, just gently caress all of this.

Another Bill
Sep 27, 2018

Born on the bayou
died in a cave
bbq and posting
is all I crave

Organic Lube User posted:

gently caress America, gently caress pharmaceutical ads, just gently caress all of this.

:yeah:

Flavius Aetass
Mar 30, 2011
having to make the tough decision that my girlfriend of 6 years is not good for my kid and she needs to go

silvergoose
Mar 18, 2006

Flavius Aetass posted:

having to make the tough decision that my girlfriend of 6 years is not good for my kid and she needs to go

That sounds *awful*. :smith:

Flavius Aetass
Mar 30, 2011
gotta admit, although i know it's irrational, i'm low-key worried about my kid getting coronavirus. there's no reason to put any thought to it now, but i really don't want to live through some spanish flu situation.

Freaking Crumbum
Apr 17, 2003

Too fuck to drunk

Organic Lube User posted:

I haven't looked around Prime much, mostly Netflix, D+, and whatever I can find on my Plex shares. But I'd love to join in some discussion here on kids shows and movies.

my 5 y/o daughter and i have enjoyed:

my little pony: friendship is magic (on netflix)
true (on netflix, there's like 4 or 5 different "series" but they're all the same show)
DC superhero girls (both the older stuff that i have only found on youtube, the current stuff on netflix, and the lego version of the same on amazon)
kipo (on netflix)
barbie dreamhouse adventures and go team roberts (on netflix, but i DO NOT suggest any of the barbie content pre-2017 / before dreamhouse adventures began)
trolls the beat goes on (on netflix)
chip & potato (on netflix)
octonauts (on netflix)
bubble guppies (on prime)
creative galaxy (on prime)
elena of avalor (on d+)
the descendants (movies on d+)

Another Bill
Sep 27, 2018

Born on the bayou
died in a cave
bbq and posting
is all I crave

My kids started watching Pokemon on Netflix.

Other parents be warned: that genie does not go back in the bottle

Flavius Aetass
Mar 30, 2011
Peg +Cat is excellent for younger kids

Adventure Time is fun for the whole family

Flavius Aetass
Mar 30, 2011
I ended up having a flat ban on YouTube, because all she wanted to do was watch these creepy videos of some lady unboxing and playing with toys. I let her watch her FNAF music videos in the car sometimes but if she's at home it needs to be a movie or a real show.

Freaking Crumbum
Apr 17, 2003

Too fuck to drunk

Flavius Aetass posted:

I ended up having a flat ban on YouTube, because all she wanted to do was watch these creepy videos of some lady unboxing and playing with toys.

lol i'm having the same experience and i do not understand at all the appeal of watching someone else play with a toys.

fwiw if you decide to renegotiate your stance, i've found "Mrs. Hands / Fizzy Fun Toy Show" (the same lady does both) to be the least obnoxious / least manipulative / least thinly-veiled-commercial of that type of show.

my daughter also really likes watching the youtube videos where someone just colors in pictures from coloring books while smooth jams play in the background - i don't get that either but she is really artistic on her own and insists that watching the coloring videos helps her have ideas about how to do her own art. they're completely inoffensive tho, so it's one of those things that's weird to me but i don't have any real reason to pull the plug on them

Flavius Aetass
Mar 30, 2011
For me it wasn't the content in and of itself, but the way it's all designed to get its hooks into a kid. She became obsessed and I felt like it was no longer responsible of me to keep allowing this addiction. If she was wired a bit differently I wouldn't have a problem with it in small doses.

silvergoose
Mar 18, 2006

My son likes watching live in concert videos of his favorite songs, but that's like, power metal, guardians of the Galaxy awesome mix 1, jukebox the ghost, stuff like that, so it's just...live concert videos. Only with supervision.

Doorknob Slobber
Sep 10, 2006

by Fluffdaddy
my daughter is very excited for potty training she ran into the bathroom and said she could do it all herself and i mistakenly was like you go for it!

poo poo everywhere no joke absofuckinglutely everywhere

Freaking Crumbum
Apr 17, 2003

Too fuck to drunk

Doorknob Slobber posted:

my daughter is very excited for potty training she ran into the bathroom and said she could do it all herself and i mistakenly was like you go for it!

poo poo everywhere no joke absofuckinglutely everywhere

the transition period from diapers to regular undies was a challenge for sure. i had to completely disassemble and deep rinse this padded elmo chair that she used to sit on probably four or five times when she was first making that jump.

then, when she finally started to understand the whole "feel like i need to potty > get up and go immediately, don't wait" she also realized she could weaponize her body fluids - for about a solid month in her daycare if her teacher made her upset she would intentionally just piss in whatever chair she was sitting in because she knew the teacher would have to clean it up and change her.

i mean i obviously nailed the "gently caress authority" message with her, but the creative way in which she flaunted the rules impressed me beyond my own expectations

IAMKOREA
Apr 21, 2007

Flavius Aetass posted:

gotta admit, although i know it's irrational, i'm low-key worried about my kid getting coronavirus. there's no reason to put any thought to it now, but i really don't want to live through some spanish flu situation.

There hasn't been a single death under the age of 10. Kids will be fine. Their grandparents, on the other hand....

pancake rabbit
Feb 21, 2011

ooo i didn't know this thread existed, i am happy it is here!

my two and a half year old is obsessed with blippi. i don't let him watch the ones with police cars but fortunately his favorites are like, the fire truck and baseball episodes. he's recently started getting into sesame street and elmo though so we're pushing that hard when it's TV time.

also he got his first haircut this past weekend! he did surprisingly great and didn't freak out or wiggle at all. we kept it shoulder length because he has these amazing natural curls that we have zero idea where they came from, but it was getting a little too unruly on the sides.

Flavius Aetass
Mar 30, 2011
are you ever going to tell him about blippi?

pancake rabbit
Feb 21, 2011

Flavius Aetass posted:

are you ever going to tell him about blippi?

lol nope

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

ikanreed
Sep 25, 2009

syq dude, just syq!

pancake rabbit posted:

ooo i didn't know this thread existed, i am happy it is here!

my two and a half year old is obsessed with blippi. i don't let him watch the ones with police cars but fortunately his favorites are like, the fire truck and baseball episodes. he's recently started getting into sesame street and elmo though so we're pushing that hard when it's TV time.

also he got his first haircut this past weekend! he did surprisingly great and didn't freak out or wiggle at all. we kept it shoulder length because he has these amazing natural curls that we have zero idea where they came from, but it was getting a little too unruly on the sides.

Have you and your spouse both got wavy hair?