Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Thoguh
Nov 8, 2002

College Slice
My wife and I are expecting our first kid in a few months and as I'm getting more serious about shopping I gotta ask, is there a secret code word to use for "Stuff that isn't covered in lace and bows but also isn't Tacticool chud poo poo" when it comes to looking for diaper bags and carriers and stuff like that?

This should not exist.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Communist Thoughts
Jan 7, 2008

Our war against free speech cannot end until we silence this bronze beast!

The baby acts as ablative armour

sullat
Jan 9, 2012
Probably you got to make sure that google thinks you're a lady, because I just went to google the names of the baby carriers we used (baby bjorn and ergo) and the first result was the exact same picture you posted. That being said, making it so the bullets have to go through the plate and then the baby adds an additional layer of protection for you, so it's not the worst idea...

I preferred the baby bjorn but my wife preferred the ergo.

U-DO Burger
Nov 12, 2007

we used several brands and iirc we liked tula and ergo the best

Thoguh
Nov 8, 2002

College Slice
I'll look in to those. Thanks.

DR FRASIER KRANG
Feb 4, 2005
Probation
Can't post for 6 hours!
the ergo owns. we used it with both of our kids until they were 2.

for diaper bags we just used a Filson bag we already had and then when we needed to switch for portability reasons we used a black nylon Patagonia bag that stuffed into its own pouch when it was empty.

indigi
Jul 20, 2004

how can we not talk about family
when family's all that we got?

Thoguh posted:

This should not exist.

idk I think it would be funny to walk around strapped like a Rob Liefeld character except it’s all baby care supplies

Insanite
Aug 30, 2005

Sharks Eat Bear posted:

Recommendation for all C-SPAM parents: get your kids hooked on traditional folk music! Folk music is as anti-capitalist as it gets, both in terms of the context in which it's created, and the subject matter of lots of the music itself. And so much of it is geared towards kids.

Pete Seeger is a great jumping off point (at least for Americans, IMO). I didn't actually know his leftist bona-fides until recently, but he was a member of the Young Communist League and Communist Party USA, and some of his early groups were apparently intended "to function as a singing newspaper promoting the industrial unionization movement" (per Wiki).

I can imagine it's harder to get kids into folk music if they're already into pop music, but if you've got really little ones who don't yet have their own taste developed, I definitely recommend adding some trad. folk into the mix. Even Raffi is great, if you go beyond his most famous songs -- he's more of a pop musician but with heavy folk stylings and definitely with a leftist/activist bent. Raffi deep cuts, baby

Some of my family's faves:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Jg8UgQz4tBA

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=fdgT4VwucH4

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=NlmSEk-t0eY

yeah, we're sticking to folk so far. "children's music" seems pretty horrendous. the stuff that pops up on youtube or spotify or whatever is positively vomitrocious.

raffi deep cuts are good. he also has some nice covers:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=MSNkeA2z8aA

guy's kind of a lib, but he seems decent enough.

Thoguh posted:

My wife and I are expecting our first kid in a few months and as I'm getting more serious about shopping I gotta ask, is there a secret code word to use for "Stuff that isn't covered in lace and bows but also isn't Tacticool chud poo poo" when it comes to looking for diaper bags and carriers and stuff like that?

This should not exist.

you don't have the energy or wherewithal to really care too much for the first few months, luckily. if you're looking for ideas, though, i'd try the hideo kojima collection:

Insanite has issued a correction as of 21:57 on Apr 9, 2021

Tzen
Sep 11, 2001

Thoguh posted:

This should not exist.
We used ergo baby carriers. They were hand-me-downs from a friend, plain, black/cream and worked out nicely. As for diaper bags, I don't remember the brand, but it's fairly common to find plain looking ones nowadays. Although I will mention that I think after about 6 months we ditched the diaper bag and we ended up just using an old Chrome backpack that I had laying around. Could hold a lot more and way more comfortable to carry.

sonatinas
Apr 15, 2003

Seattle Karate Vs. L.A. Karate
ergos are great

my diaper bag was dadgear but now they’re out of business however just find any backpack diaper bag and go from there

oxsnard
Oct 8, 2003

Thoguh posted:

This should not exist.

ergo and lilibabies are the best imo.

Don't buy one yet, I should have a spare in a few months I can send to you

B-Rock452
Jan 6, 2005
:justflu:

Thoguh posted:

This should not exist.

Ironically I used a spare range bag as a diaper bag since I am cheap and it had a shitload of pockets. (before everyone starts screaming at me, it had never been used for it's intended purpose, I just have a problem where I buy wayyyy too much gear)

Remulak
Jun 8, 2001
I can't count to four.
Yams Fan
On shorter trips I just loaded up some cargo shorts instead of carrying a bag, maybe there’s a legit use for TACTICAL PANTS.

Schnorkles
Apr 30, 2015

It's a little bit juvenile, but it's simple and it's timeless.

We let it be known that Schnorkles, for a snack, eats tiny pieces of shit.

You're picturing it and you're talking about it. That's a win in my book.
my son is now 8 months old and is loving enormous

Another Bill
Sep 27, 2018

Born on the bayou
died in a cave
bbq and posting
is all I crave

Insanite posted:

raffi deep cuts are good. he also has some nice covers:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=MSNkeA2z8aA

guy's kind of a lib, but he seems decent enough.

I take issue with calling Raffi kind of a lib

https://twitter.com/Raffi_RC/status/1267225204767383553

If everyone was like Raffi cops and fash would be running scared

Sharks Eat Bear
Dec 25, 2004

i don’t really care if raffi is ultimately a lib, his music is great and he seems like a genuinely nice person so that’s good enough for me

on the other hand, getting into a huge debate about raffi’s libness would be pretty epic, so...

Tzen posted:

I knew about Pete Seeger but only of Which Side Are You On and never dived into anything else from him. poo poo never thought to listen to union/labor/left artists or even folks songs with my kids at all. Usually my K-aged kid is singing along with me to deep house / techno / electronica / etc but yesterday we took a drive and listened to the songs you mentioned and others I knew. loving a man we had a blast. We ended up listening to Froggie Went A-Courtin' and Abiyoyo several times. i'm definitely going to be adding these to the mix as well as others

hell yeah! thanks for sharing, that brought a smile to my face

sonatinas
Apr 15, 2003

YouTube reading rainbow episode of abiyoyo, it’s great

Insanite
Aug 30, 2005

Another Bill posted:

I take issue with calling Raffi kind of a lib

https://twitter.com/Raffi_RC/status/1267225204767383553

If everyone was like Raffi cops and fash would be running scared

i'm using "lib" in a cspam context. dude's not calling for revolution or anything, which is fine given his niche.

raffi is good. he's even jumped on the zero covid train, which is a sign of good taste, imo.

other kid music chat:
my toddler is really into billy bragg's never cross a picket line

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ojPTz4VAOMA

Insanite has issued a correction as of 18:38 on Apr 10, 2021

Big Mad Drongo
Nov 10, 2006

What the gently caress my 9-month-old went from "can kind of crawl, slowly" to "crawls faster than you can track her" to "cruising, also getting her first tooth because why not" in less than a week

Babies are insane, they like need to chill a bit

Flavius Aetass
Mar 30, 2011
my kid is going through an edgelord phase and every time she walks by saying "murder!" or something i'm hoping my face registers how low her power level is

Good soup!
Nov 2, 2010

Oh my loving god man loving gently caress kirkland diapers, just loving blowout city no matter what, this poo poo doesn't happen very often with other brands

What the gently caress costco, you're better than this

Flavius Aetass
Mar 30, 2011

MacheteZombie
Feb 4, 2007
Cloth diapers, no blowouts

Flavius Aetass
Mar 30, 2011

MacheteZombie posted:

Cloth diapers, no blowouts

we tried those and they are definitely for the type of person who doesn't let dishes pile up

Another Bill
Sep 27, 2018

Born on the bayou
died in a cave
bbq and posting
is all I crave

Flavius Aetass posted:

we tried those and they are definitely for the type of person who doesn't let dishes pile up

:hmmyes:

Another Bill
Sep 27, 2018

Born on the bayou
died in a cave
bbq and posting
is all I crave

I changed diapers everyday for 7 straight years and while it never seemed like a chore, goddamn am I glad that's over

Waterbed Wendy
Jan 29, 2009
I was like man 7 years old is late for potty training then I remembered you can have other babies too.

Good soup!
Nov 2, 2010

Flavius Aetass posted:

MacheteZombie
Feb 4, 2007

Flavius Aetass posted:

Lol we actually let dishes pile up. But never diapers, like clockwork on those things

DR FRASIER KRANG
Feb 4, 2005
Probation
Can't post for 6 hours!
oh man I'm so glad to be done done done with diapers

we successfully got my youngest doing full-night sleeps in underpants without accidents and it only took a single week. fuckin crazy.

MacheteZombie
Feb 4, 2007
My little one recently started demanding to use the potty so that's cool. Going well so far.

sonatinas
Apr 15, 2003

poo poo POST MALONE posted:

oh man I'm so glad to be done done done with diapers

we successfully got my youngest doing full-night sleeps in underpants without accidents and it only took a single week. fuckin crazy.

my kid saves the bed wedding for weekdays it seems

sullat
Jan 9, 2012
Yeah my youngest just decided right after her third birthday that she was done with diapers, and that was that.

DR FRASIER KRANG
Feb 4, 2005
Probation
Can't post for 6 hours!
we definitely used birthdays for this kinda stuff and it seems to work.

my seven year old magically decided on his birthday last year that he was ready to start wiping his own rear end and I'm like "cool because I hate this."

Flavius Aetass
Mar 30, 2011
Hey, what good kids shows or kid-friendly animes feature LGBT characters? My 9-year-old has noticed the near-complete absence of LGBT anything in most media and is getting pretty upset about it.

e: gonna ask in the LGBT thread too

Good soup!
Nov 2, 2010

man it's so awesome, between all the smiles and giggles and poo poo, she's noticing the cats, is now reaching out and grabbing stuff (ever so slowly) and exploring more with her hands/mouth in general

she's a trooper at night still, aside from a few hiccups here and there, so it's gonna suck when she hits that next regression :v:

silvergoose
Mar 18, 2006

IT IS SAID THE TEARS OF THE BWEENIX CAN HEAL ALL WOUNDS

Flavius Aetass posted:

Hey, what good kids shows or kid-friendly animes feature LGBT characters? My 9-year-old has noticed the near-complete absence of LGBT anything in most media and is getting pretty upset about it.

look for anything that gets lots of "this is satanic!!!!!" comments from rightwing shitheads

Another Bill
Sep 27, 2018

Born on the bayou
died in a cave
bbq and posting
is all I crave

Flavius Aetass posted:

Definitely not Modern Family, despite having a gay couple as two of the leads. That show is seriously hosed by 2021 standards.

U-DO Burger
Nov 12, 2007

Good soup! posted:

man it's so awesome, between all the smiles and giggles and poo poo, she's noticing the cats, is now reaching out and grabbing stuff (ever so slowly) and exploring more with her hands/mouth in general

she's a trooper at night still, aside from a few hiccups here and there, so it's gonna suck when she hits that next regression :v:

one part of me is living vicariously through you and is really enjoying these happy posts of yours :3:

another part of me is chuckling to itself, thinking about how the bolded part you're celebrating becomes a nightmare once your kid learns to move and instantly transforms into a small mobile suicide machine

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

B-Rock452
Jan 6, 2005
:justflu:

U-DO Burger posted:

a small mobile suicide machine

This is such a fantastic description of what kids are. When my oldest was around 14 months a baby bird fell out of a nest so I got a ladder and we made a big deal of getting the bird back into the nest and I literally turned my back for five seconds afterwards and she was all the way up the ladder. She had never seen a ladder before and was still somewhat janky when it came to walking but she just flew up this ladder. Looking at photos from even just 3 years ago I have aged so much.