Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

KirbyKhan
Mar 20, 2009
Probation
Can't post for 6 hours!
Soiled Meat
Hahahahaha your rich ma got tired of dealing with babies is leaving to go on holiday again. Hahahahaha this happened last time, hahahahaha I told you we couldn't rely on her! Oh but guess, I got the fix: my mom is just as retired, she's ready and down to tag in for her piece of grammanirvana for our older boy while I'm out at new job. Oh what's that?!?! You and your ma are now willing to pay for an au pair instead, oh funny just last month you said you ran out of money. Suddenly there is money when something you thought impossible is suddenly coming to our home. HAHAHAHAHAHAHA

High nose bitch better treat my mama with the same respect I treated hers. Money didn't scoop her out of this. Even with a burlap sack with a dollar sign nobody will ever take our kid in this short of notice. Hahahahahagaha

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

DR FRASIER KRANG
Feb 4, 2005

"Are you forgetting that just this afternoon I was punched in the face by a turtle now dead?
I gotta say: 100% hard agreee

silvergoose
Mar 18, 2006

IT IS SAID THE TEARS OF THE BWEENIX CAN HEAL ALL WOUNDS

Uhh. You might want some, uh, couples counseling

Another Bill
Sep 27, 2018

Born on the bayou
died in a cave
bbq and posting
is all I crave

Yeah, umm generally calling the mothers of our children 'bitches' is frowned upon.

I'm sorry you're going through a hard time, try and be kind to your family and "put some work in" on whatever is going on there.

lobster shirt
Jun 14, 2021

troubling

Microplastics
Jul 6, 2007

:discourse:
It's what's for dinner.
I'm sure he's just venting and playing it up a bit

I hope

BonHair
Apr 28, 2007

Good luck on the divorce though, please try not to traumatize the children.

DR FRASIER KRANG
Feb 4, 2005

"Are you forgetting that just this afternoon I was punched in the face by a turtle now dead?
I honestly couldn't parse all of it and I thought he was calling his MIL a bitch.

in any case, sounds sticky.

KirbyKhan
Mar 20, 2009
Probation
Can't post for 6 hours!
Soiled Meat

Microplastics posted:

I'm sure he's just venting and playing it up a bit

I hope

DR FRASIER KRANG posted:

I honestly couldn't parse all of it and I thought he was calling his MIL a bitch.

in any case, sounds sticky.

No, I called my wife a bitch. Because she is a jerk who thinks my mother doesn't deserve to see our children because my mom didn't go to our destination wedding or give us enough money.

DR FRASIER KRANG
Feb 4, 2005

oh. yeah this sounds really fuckin out of scope for a forums thread but good luck! I definitely recommend counseling if you're dealing with marital issues stemming from things like money.

Greg Legg
Oct 6, 2004
Yikes

loquacius
Oct 21, 2008

IIRC KirbyKhan was also having marital issues over the 2016 election (I think? Maybe it was 2020)

Def recommend counseling at the very least if things have come to this

KirbyKhan
Mar 20, 2009
Probation
Can't post for 6 hours!
Soiled Meat

DR FRASIER KRANG posted:

oh. yeah this sounds really fuckin out of scope for a forums thread but good luck! I definitely recommend counseling if you're dealing with marital issues stemming from things like money.

Yeah, couple's counseling is where wife explained in plain simple language that she doesn't like my mom because she doesn't give us money like wife's mom.

lobster shirt
Jun 14, 2021

i have cocomelon songs stuck in my head. considering death.

Mustached Demon
Nov 12, 2016

lobster shirt posted:

i have cocomelon songs stuck in my head. considering death.

death will not free you

Chad Sexington
May 26, 2005

I think he made a beautiful post and did a great job and he is good.
Is there any reason why children have to listen to children's music? Like... developmentally?

Am I doing it wrong by just playing my Spotify Discovery Weekly playlist and assuming the six-month-old gets the same out of it as they would cocomelon or whatever?

KirbyKhan
Mar 20, 2009
Probation
Can't post for 6 hours!
Soiled Meat
Best way for a series of objects, verbs, and adjectives to be repeated to a child and simple enough for a child to recite.

lobster shirt
Jun 14, 2021

i don't think you're doing anything wrong. i listen to my regular music whenever i drive my kids anywhere (and frankly i do not wish for them to know it's possible to have cocomelon in the car). my son just really likes the videos. i tried to keep cocomelon away from him and was successful until the christmas holiday, but then he got sick and we had a newborn and i was just feeling so exhausted, and he was fussy/sick, so i put it on the tv. it worked.

but at what cost...

loquacius
Oct 21, 2008

I don't have a Spotify subscription and I use that as my excuse for my kid not listening to my wife's curated Spotify children's-music playlist when I'm driving. When daddy's driving, she gets daddy music. She is fine with this. Most of the time. She yells "OTHER SONG" when she's not.

lobster shirt
Jun 14, 2021

KirbyKhan posted:

Best way for a series of objects, verbs, and adjectives to be repeated to a child and simple enough for a child to recite.

oh yeah thats a good point, childrens music is probably good for vocabulary building in a way that like van halen is not

loquacius
Oct 21, 2008

Babies in particular have no context for what music is so pretty much anything goes. When my kid was a month or two old I successfully lulled her to sleep with Rage Against The Machine

lobster shirt
Jun 14, 2021

im not religious at all but my son is in love with the song silent night and he makes me sing it to him every night lol

KirbyKhan
Mar 20, 2009
Probation
Can't post for 6 hours!
Soiled Meat
Most children's music is p comparable to each other. I prefer SuperSimpleSongs, but I stopped being snobby about cocomelon babies. Like only half of what's there is bad but most of the poop is just merely cheap, not malicious. You can curate a child's media experience for a p long time. We survived cable tv, an ancient time where the screen only showed you what it wanted to show you on its schedule.

Bar Ran Dun
Jan 22, 2006

for kids music:

Okie Dookie Brothers (they have some movies too)
Casper Baby Pants
The Board of Education

there are a couple other good ones but those are the ones that I just remember.

edit: twenty trucks which ngl was legitimately also useful for a heavy equipment estimatics course.

Bar Ran Dun has issued a correction as of 23:01 on Jan 23, 2023

AxGrap
Jan 11, 2005

☝☯ Ŧ𝓤𝒸Ҝ 𝓨𝕠𝔲! 🐼👽
Laurie Berkner is like crack for these fuckin kids

lobster shirt
Jun 14, 2021

daughter has finally started social smiling :3:

loquacius
Oct 21, 2008

AxGrap posted:

Laurie Berkner is like crack for these fuckin kids

I posted about this in another thread, her version of I Love My Rooster goes surprisingly hard

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=BQ02hQjSijk

KirbyKhan
Mar 20, 2009
Probation
Can't post for 6 hours!
Soiled Meat
Last yearI found Ella Jenkins in the Smithsonian alvorithm and it's a treat. It is HELLA OLD like I think I remember hearing this tape cassette back in 95. Don't let the algorithm go too far, be picky, or you'll hear the negro spiritual version of Cotton Eye Joe

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=UibkX5tVDkI

Elissimpark
May 20, 2010

Bring me the head of Auguste Escoffier.

loquacius posted:

Babies in particular have no context for what music is so pretty much anything goes. When my kid was a month or two old I successfully lulled her to sleep with Rage Against The Machine

Our 22mo has cycled through Brian Eno (Music for Airports), Sunn and now likes Lewis Ofman for sleepy times.

DR FRASIER KRANG
Feb 4, 2005

listening to my son explain to me how you can unlock the shadow of a character in his Lego game but you still have to pay for the privilege of unlocking them to use them and thinking "that loving sucks man"

Kitfox88
Aug 21, 2007

Anybody lose their glasses?

KirbyKhan posted:

No, I called my wife a bitch. Because she is a jerk who thinks my mother doesn't deserve to see our children because my mom didn't go to our destination wedding or give us enough money.

looking forward to the aita post when you :sever:

for serious though that's hosed up, i'm sorry you're in a situation like this with your wife

KirbyKhan
Mar 20, 2009
Probation
Can't post for 6 hours!
Soiled Meat

Kitfox88 posted:

looking forward to the aita post when you :sever:

for serious though that's hosed up, i'm sorry you're in a situation like this with your wife

Lmfao she's posted two of our fights to /AItA. Anytime you scroll, there is now a small but real and confirmed possibility that one of those posts could be the other half of a shitposting SA user.

She chased me around the house reading the replies. I can't think of any way that could hurt me worse. Buddy, this is a captive situation but also small time compared to the bad times. There are still hormones coursing through both of our systems, the new baby is barely 7 days and this was already an extremely stressed relationship. But, it will survive and go get forgotten to that abstract haze that newborn memories get holed into.

meanolmrcloud
Apr 5, 2004

rock out with your stock out

my mom retired and moved 5 hours away a year before we had our first. with our second coming in the next few weeks, she’s renting a room in the area to help out more or less against our wishes and it’s super stressful. I know it’s a privilege to have someone who can fold laundry, do dishes and stuff, but she is the definition of an ultra lib boomer. as in ‘my opinions on how you organize your house, raise your baby, spend your money are unquestionably correct and I’ll repeat the same 5 things 30 times a day until you relent, and then find 5 more things to needle over’. boundaries cannot exist, perfectly spherical brain etc.

I of course grew up with this and have a nice hole in my brain where this all sails right on through. but it’s caused a huge amount of frustration in my wife, and certainly caused the biggest stressors between my wife and I in our entire marriage.

so it’s not exactly the same, but I get it. in-laws loving suck.

on the children’s song front: we were surprised a few months ago when we discovered the 22 month old could count way past 10 and on to 20, something she absolutely picked up from super simple songs.

loquacius
Oct 21, 2008

KirbyKhan posted:

Lmfao she's posted two of our fights to /AItA. Anytime you scroll, there is now a small but real and confirmed possibility that one of those posts could be the other half of a shitposting SA user.

She chased me around the house reading the replies. I can't think of any way that could hurt me worse. Buddy, this is a captive situation but also small time compared to the bad times. There are still hormones coursing through both of our systems, the new baby is barely 7 days and this was already an extremely stressed relationship. But, it will survive and go get forgotten to that abstract haze that newborn memories get holed into.

I feel like the majority of r/aita posts and such were originally posted with the end goal in mind of having something to yell at your spouse while chasing them around the house

KirbyKhan
Mar 20, 2009
Probation
Can't post for 6 hours!
Soiled Meat
You find out exactly what kinda poster your spouse is when you fire up a burner account to respond. She deleted my post. The coward. I will never let her live that down. I will carve it on her tombstone if she dares to die first. Aight I'm going to bed.

Little dude did a lot to calm me down. He reflected care and stuck his toothbrush in my mouth. He's adversarial when tooth brushing with them, but with me he's sweet. Aight I'm going to bed.

Couples Counseling L:

Children don't hear me yell, so anything that is worth yelling about waits until the 3-way-call from graveyard.

F Stop Fitzgerald
Dec 12, 2010

lol

being a single parent can definitely have its advantages

DR FRASIER KRANG
Feb 4, 2005

holy smokes that's strange.

ikanreed
Sep 25, 2009

I honestly I have no idea who cannibal[SIC] is and I do not know why I should know.

syq dude, just syq!
Oh boy, seeing that it's religious couples counseling adds a bit of an "oohhh... Oh" aftertaste to those posts

tristeham
Jul 31, 2022

i'm still not conviced that kirbykhan isn't a bot

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Chad Sexington
May 26, 2005

I think he made a beautiful post and did a great job and he is good.

meanolmrcloud posted:

my mom retired and moved 5 hours away a year before we had our first. with our second coming in the next few weeks, she’s renting a room in the area to help out more or less against our wishes and it’s super stressful. I know it’s a privilege to have someone who can fold laundry, do dishes and stuff, but she is the definition of an ultra lib boomer. as in ‘my opinions on how you organize your house, raise your baby, spend your money are unquestionably correct and I’ll repeat the same 5 things 30 times a day until you relent, and then find 5 more things to needle over’. boundaries cannot exist, perfectly spherical brain etc.

I of course grew up with this and have a nice hole in my brain where this all sails right on through. but it’s caused a huge amount of frustration in my wife, and certainly caused the biggest stressors between my wife and I in our entire marriage.

so it’s not exactly the same, but I get it. in-laws loving suck.

on the children’s song front: we were surprised a few months ago when we discovered the 22 month old could count way past 10 and on to 20, something she absolutely picked up from super simple songs.

Maybe this is my r/JNMIL reading talking but like... isn't it incumbent upon you as the mother-haver to functionally defend your wife by telling the harpy to gently caress off or at least shut her pie hole? I don't know your life obviously, but most criticisms of child-rearing and house organizing are coded by gender so they're functionally criticisms of your wife. She doesn't need that poo poo with another baby coming.

I was so ready to tee off on my wife's mother around our daughter's birth, but fortunately (maybe) a good amount of lying kept her away.