Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

lobster shirt
Jun 14, 2021

my son had three nightmares last night... very upsetting

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Dreylad
Jun 19, 2001

Bone Crimes posted:

A few months after my son was born, he got a gift of a little stuffy lamb. He really loved it, even as a little baby, and we also read that it’s good to have a ‘main’ stuffy or toy or whatever for comfort. He got pretty attached, and we realized that we would need a separate identical toy for emergencies or to be able to clean the toy or whatever. We had to troll Ebay globally to find an identical stuffy which was an expensive pain, but we found some replacements. Whenever we swapped it out with the replacement, it was a full Mission Impossible scheme so he wouldn’t realize that we had swapped it, and that there were two stuffies. We thought we were so slick, cause he never found out.
When he was like 2 years old, calmly asked for the other stuffy. We tried to play dumb, but it turned out he knew the whole time, there were like minor differences in the fabric that he could feel, and he knew and didn’t mind. Owned.

yeah we've got two grey bunnies and one shrunk for SOME REASON and the baby clearly knows the difference. i just sub in another random stuffy and she seems fine with it sometimes which seems to be acceptable, for now.

she lost/threw the stuffy out of the crib last night though and hoo boy i haven't heard howling like that in a while. she was really sad, once I got the bunny back to her she squeezed it tight, sobbing, while saying its name like she had lost a child. heartbreaking....

silvergoose
Mar 18, 2006

IT IS SAID THE TEARS OF THE BWEENIX CAN HEAL ALL WOUNDS

we somehow ended up with multiple of the Geoffrey giraffes from toys r us before they shut down the program and then the store. Well worth it to have one for each kid, I gotta say.

lobster shirt
Jun 14, 2021

Bone Crimes posted:

A few months after my son was born, he got a gift of a little stuffy lamb. He really loved it, even as a little baby, and we also read that it’s good to have a ‘main’ stuffy or toy or whatever for comfort. He got pretty attached, and we realized that we would need a separate identical toy for emergencies or to be able to clean the toy or whatever. We had to troll Ebay globally to find an identical stuffy which was an expensive pain, but we found some replacements. Whenever we swapped it out with the replacement, it was a full Mission Impossible scheme so he wouldn’t realize that we had swapped it, and that there were two stuffies. We thought we were so slick, cause he never found out.
When he was like 2 years old, calmly asked for the other stuffy. We tried to play dumb, but it turned out he knew the whole time, there were like minor differences in the fabric that he could feel, and he knew and didn’t mind. Owned.

oh man i never thought about ebay, my son has this stuffed blue bunny that was just some piece of crap from a drug store but he's soooo attached to it. i've never been able to find it again and have been dreading him destroying it, but never thought to look on ebay... but now i see there is one for sale on ebay. gonna buy it. thanks! you may have averted the world's biggest meltdown.

tristeham
Jul 31, 2022

Bone Crimes posted:

lol

KirbyKhan
Mar 20, 2009

Soiled Meat
We got fancy Disney plushies, both official and bootleg, soft stuffies and branded lovies and ancient heirlooms. My wife and I have done the chant "A hug from a lovie is like a hug from a parent". None of it ever stuck.

My son likes the thing I got him, it's a soft flexi plastic nightlight I got from the hardware store. It has a micro USB battery charger and it glows a different color every time you bop it or touch it. It's in the shape of a unicorn and it was named Jeffrey on the box. I will never find a wonderful treasure like this again.

PerniciousKnid
Sep 13, 2006

KirbyKhan posted:

My son likes the thing I got him, it's a soft flexi plastic nightlight I got from the hardware store. It has a micro USB battery charger and it glows a different color every time you bop it or touch it. It's in the shape of a unicorn and it was named Jeffrey on the box. I will never find a wonderful treasure like this again.

My kids love those

Bar Ran Dun
Jan 22, 2006

some of them have timers and a remote too so you can turn them off when one’s kid goes to sleep.

MacheteZombie
Feb 4, 2007

Bar Ran Dun posted:

some of them have timers and a remote too so you can turn them off when one’s kid goes to sleep.

My kids got one liked that shaped like a trex called trexie. She loves setting its color every night at bed time (she's been picking the fading between color mode most nights lately lol)

Bone Crimes
Mar 7, 2007

lobster shirt posted:

oh man i never thought about ebay, my son has this stuffed blue bunny that was just some piece of crap from a drug store but he's soooo attached to it. i've never been able to find it again and have been dreading him destroying it, but never thought to look on ebay... but now i see there is one for sale on ebay. gonna buy it. thanks! you may have averted the world's biggest meltdown.

Nice! Make sure you swap them out periodically to balance the wear, which is something we totally did and angonized over. Or, you know, don't, cause it prob won't matter?

DR FRASIER KRANG
Feb 4, 2005

"Are you forgetting that just this afternoon I was punched in the face by a turtle now dead?
I can generally tell how tired a child is by how well they can dab.

If a kids dab is super wild and lovely, they need a nap.

AxGrap
Jan 11, 2005

☝☯ Ŧ𝓤𝒸Ҝ 𝓨𝕠𝔲! 🐼👽
Re: childrens jukebox I made (cannibalized an existing code base and added some stuff) a qr code jukebox. It scans a link to a YouTube vid and rips it and plays it and saves the file so it doesn't have to go round trip the next time. It was a lot of fun but he wasn't ready to be interested in it yet but we're having a blast with it today.

KirbyKhan
Mar 20, 2009

Soiled Meat
Yoooooo that's fuckin dope

KirbyKhan
Mar 20, 2009

Soiled Meat
Seize the means of Fisher Price noise toys

MacheteZombie
Feb 4, 2007
That rules

AxGrap
Jan 11, 2005

☝☯ Ŧ𝓤𝒸Ҝ 𝓨𝕠𝔲! 🐼👽
Yeah it was a lot of fun, if I get around to updating it (seek bar, videos) I'll post a link to the code

lobster shirt
Jun 14, 2021

a diaper somehow ended up in the washing machine :negative:

Vishass
Feb 1, 2004

Bone Crimes posted:

My kids have several duplicate stuffed toys and they can both tell them apart at a glance based off wild, tiny difference

KirbyKhan
Mar 20, 2009

Soiled Meat
Toddler is saying "yaaaay" or "oooooh nyooo" alongside us and it is like getting empty quotes irl

Another Bill
Sep 27, 2018

Born on the bayou
died in a cave
bbq and posting
is all I crave

KirbyKhan posted:

Toddler is saying "yaaaay" or "oooooh nyooo" alongside us and it is like getting empty quotes irl

My 8 year old calls things sus, derpy and OP.

It's like having a shitposter in your house irl

I'm thinking of buying her an account.

Microplastics
Jul 6, 2007

:discourse:
It's what's for dinner.
I hope that when you get frustrated with them, they look you dead in the eye and go "u mad? :smug:"

KirbyKhan
Mar 20, 2009

Soiled Meat
Having fun talk with in laws about the ways children directly become their parents. Yes, stop acting new and defeat your child in combat. Youve been engaging in that dumb personal battle since birth and they are literally you.

76 year old patriarch talking about how it is so important to follow elders. Asked me about my family thinking "oh he's Asian they love elders"

Telling them my older sister wrested control of my family at age 42 because the elders weren't performing anymore. We love our elders, but boss sister ain't letting them make investments after what happened in 2010, their skills are more suited to light childcare like making sweets or before and after school prep. Suddenly they asked me to take the babies to the other room, teeheehee they get so spooked when they hear about any family structure that isn't African American strain of gerentocracy.

I am so excited to build my children to be strong enough to defeat me.

Bone Crimes
Mar 7, 2007

When my son was about 18 months old, I bought a big cargo bike with a box in the front. It was mostly for me, as I had to cut back on the mountain biking (can’t drop out for a full day with a toddler) and I thought it would super cool to have a bike like that to go on adventures and stuff together with the kids. And we did! Hundreds of trips to every park in a 5 mile radius, to the beach, downtown to the science center, down secret trails, getting primo parking everywhere. I was even able to bring their bikes on the back, for more adventures. I updated the bike as they got older to fit both kids and we continued having great fun for 7 years.

About a year ago though, the kids were getting a bit too big to fit comfortably, and we weren’t going for as many rides. The bike also took up a lot of space, so I had to make the big decision, should I get rid of it? Am I mentally ok to give up that part of my life and that method of connecting with my kids? How would they take it? Would they be devastated that the orange bike was going away forever? I had many discussions with my wife and finally decided to ask them. Their response? Kid 1: “Yeah, whatever?” Kid 2: (barely looking away from Minecraft) “Yeah, get rid of it Dad”. They really couldn’t care less. Owned.

DR FRASIER KRANG
Feb 4, 2005

"Are you forgetting that just this afternoon I was punched in the face by a turtle now dead?
kids can be so vicious without even trying. it's impressive as hell.

my son has started opening up his claims with "no offense dad, but"

and then I know he's gonna say something really cruel

Kunster
Dec 24, 2006

DR FRASIER KRANG posted:

I just worry that by giving the child a toy that encourages synthetic fidgeting... I might be stunting his abilities to organically fidget. tough choices.

I hand it to him when he doesn't have much stuff to mess around with or when he needs to be changed. My brother has been getting old junk for him to tinker with and has been building a sensory board for him, and I've been keeping an eye open for DK-type books for him on nearby stores.

BonHair
Apr 28, 2007

Bone Crimes posted:

When my son was about 18 months old, I bought a big cargo bike with a box in the front. It was mostly for me, as I had to cut back on the mountain biking (can’t drop out for a full day with a toddler) and I thought it would super cool to have a bike like that to go on adventures and stuff together with the kids. And we did! Hundreds of trips to every park in a 5 mile radius, to the beach, downtown to the science center, down secret trails, getting primo parking everywhere. I was even able to bring their bikes on the back, for more adventures. I updated the bike as they got older to fit both kids and we continued having great fun for 7 years.

About a year ago though, the kids were getting a bit too big to fit comfortably, and we weren’t going for as many rides. The bike also took up a lot of space, so I had to make the big decision, should I get rid of it? Am I mentally ok to give up that part of my life and that method of connecting with my kids? How would they take it? Would they be devastated that the orange bike was going away forever? I had many discussions with my wife and finally decided to ask them. Their response? Kid 1: “Yeah, whatever?” Kid 2: (barely looking away from Minecraft) “Yeah, get rid of it Dad”. They really couldn’t care less. Owned.

Bike looks awesome, and it could be super useful for hauling poo poo still. Maybe it'll even be useful to the kids when they're teenagers and want to go on trips? Can you fit a teenage romantic interest in it? How about ten cases of beer?

But if you do decide you don't have room, try to find someone you know who have small kids to give it to. See it get a new life!

Gunshow Poophole
Sep 14, 2008

OMBUDSMAN
POSTERS LOCAL 42069

Clapping Larry

KirbyKhan posted:

haha this made me laugh out loud, my niece does this and i will now consider it as such

Bone Crimes
Mar 7, 2007

BonHair posted:

Bike looks awesome, and it could be super useful for hauling poo poo still. Maybe it'll even be useful to the kids when they're teenagers and want to go on trips? Can you fit a teenage romantic interest in it? How about ten cases of beer?

But if you do decide you don't have room, try to find someone you know who have small kids to give it to. See it get a new life!

yeah it was rad. I did move lots of huge stuff on the bike. You can take off the box, and use that as a platform and it is essentially unconstrained on the sides, so I moved huge couches and dressers all the time locally. High dork factor tho. It was just too big to justify the space in the garage for the amount of use it was getting. I did sell it to another Dad with kids tho.

DR FRASIER KRANG
Feb 4, 2005

Kunster posted:

I hand it to him when he doesn't have much stuff to mess around with or when he needs to be changed. My brother has been getting old junk for him to tinker with and has been building a sensory board for him, and I've been keeping an eye open for DK-type books for him on nearby stores.

I was joking it was a joke post oh god

i am harry
Oct 14, 2003

i love my children but when the older one is advised to not eat an entire bag of takis while three days into antibiotic treatment for strep throat, and does anyway, and then runs around at midnight crying because the acid reflux hit her disgusting tonsils...

Kal-L
Jan 18, 2005

Heh... Spider-man... Web searches... That's funny. I should've trademarked that one. Could've made a mint.
We're in the last month of pregnancy :toot: B-day could be around the end of the month.

Wife has come around on the having a second kid issue, I suspect she realized she really doesn't want to go through all the bullshit a second time around.

BonHair
Apr 28, 2007

Just spent 20 minutes on a bridge in freezing weather because my five year old would not accept that I did not bring a hat that is compatible with the bike helmet. I offered him my hat, using either my or his buff as a hat and the option of no hat. We argued (I shouted, shoot me) whether he could possibly pick an option or come up with an alternative, he refused on all counts. Finally, I had enough, and we ended up walking the bikes home for no reason and without hat. Just the most stubborn and dumb kid sometimes.
And when we finally got home, I tried to get him to explain why it took forever to his mom. He did not want to, and straight up lied and told us we biked home.

I just needed to vent. Is this normal kids stuff, or am I getting the fun part of autism?

And speaking of, we're in the process of getting him clinically tested. It's not too bad, except it's a lot of visits to the hospital. It looks like we might be getting some help for school from it too, which seems like a pretty good thing right now (and in general).

Also related question: when do kids normally begin having friends? Because this guy just isn't interested in it. I feel like playdates would be kinda nice sometimes, but those kinda require friends.

sonatinas
Apr 15, 2003

Seattle Karate Vs. L.A. Karate

BonHair posted:

Just spent 20 minutes on a bridge in freezing weather because my five year old would not accept that I did not bring a hat that is compatible with the bike helmet. I offered him my hat, using either my or his buff as a hat and the option of no hat. We argued (I shouted, shoot me) whether he could possibly pick an option or come up with an alternative, he refused on all counts. Finally, I had enough, and we ended up walking the bikes home for no reason and without hat. Just the most stubborn and dumb kid sometimes.
And when we finally got home, I tried to get him to explain why it took forever to his mom. He did not want to, and straight up lied and told us we biked home.

I just needed to vent. Is this normal kids stuff, or am I getting the fun part of autism?

And speaking of, we're in the process of getting him clinically tested. It's not too bad, except it's a lot of visits to the hospital. It looks like we might be getting some help for school from it too, which seems like a pretty good thing right now (and in general).

Also related question: when do kids normally begin having friends? Because this guy just isn't interested in it. I feel like playdates would be kinda nice sometimes, but those kinda require friends.

your kid might be still at the parallel play stage . however if you have concerns if there is adhd or autism , consult a local neuropsychologist for an evaluation. not sure who you have contacted for an eval.

BonHair
Apr 28, 2007

We're way past concern, the pedagogues at his first institution (10 months to 2.10 years) suspected it, but my wife initially didn't want him labelled, and in the two next (we moved to a new place), they were basically pushing for it. So we had the municipal psychologist come and observe, and he's set the big government machinery of getting a child diagnosis in motion, which we're in the middle of. The psychologist was basically like "yeah, I'm not allowed to make a diagnosis for legal reasons, but that's autism".

The kid has zero interest in other kids (except weirdly his baby brother of 3 months), to the point that he might forget the names of the other kids in the kindergarden that he had seen every day for 1½ years.

KirbyKhan
Mar 20, 2009

Soiled Meat
Toddler is a treat to his newborn lil sister. Pets her like how we taught him to pet the dog... which is close enough as far as appropriate interaction goes. I get really annoyed at my wife for being on pins and needles every time they interact: she genuinely believes that the ogre toddler will smoosh his sister. I get it, I understand the instinct, but there's been enough interactions that are positive and gentle that I'm feeling insulted for my boy. Like this version of toddler murderer isn't a fair image to hold and repeat and it is wholely invented and imagined. Newborn is still Fabergé egg, so all interactions are heavily coached... but like just let the dude hold his sister's hand it's cute and sweet and has been his only approach so far stop discouraging it.

bitmap
Aug 8, 2006

we're doing to "two identical bunny teddies" thing too but I have engineered my own hell in that as deeply low quality objects they require regular upkeep so now (both) bunny(ies) need "new clothes" every few months

KirbyKhan
Mar 20, 2009

Soiled Meat
Kid keeps on ruining my mind palace by gnawing on my props. I've been trying to get my toddler into long form video essays (stuff I'm into: detailed travel vlogs) and he keeps falling asleep in the highchair despite being fed sugar treats. 30 minutes of podcast a day got this baby's sleep regression solved. I keep pointing at the screen with my best soy face and he's just slumped.

KirbyKhan has issued a correction as of 20:32 on Feb 5, 2023

PerniciousKnid
Sep 13, 2006

BonHair posted:

We're way past concern, the pedagogues at his first institution (10 months to 2.10 years) suspected it, but my wife initially didn't want him labelled, and in the two next (we moved to a new place), they were basically pushing for it. So we had the municipal psychologist come and observe, and he's set the big government machinery of getting a child diagnosis in motion, which we're in the middle of. The psychologist was basically like "yeah, I'm not allowed to make a diagnosis for legal reasons, but that's autism".

The kid has zero interest in other kids (except weirdly his baby brother of 3 months), to the point that he might forget the names of the other kids in the kindergarden that he had seen every day for 1½ years.

That all sounds pretty familiar to me for both my kids. My 5yo in particular is incredibly stubborn about stupid poo poo, although we're looking into therapy for him. My 7yo is similar but less severe.

Dreylad
Jun 19, 2001

KirbyKhan posted:

Toddler is a treat to his newborn lil sister. Pets her like how we taught him to pet the dog... which is close enough as far as appropriate interaction goes. I get really annoyed at my wife for being on pins and needles every time they interact: she genuinely believes that the ogre toddler will smoosh his sister. I get it, I understand the instinct, but there's been enough interactions that are positive and gentle that I'm feeling insulted for my boy. Like this version of toddler murderer isn't a fair image to hold and repeat and it is wholely invented and imagined. Newborn is still Fabergé egg, so all interactions are heavily coached... but like just let the dude hold his sister's hand it's cute and sweet and has been his only approach so far stop discouraging it.

Not to armchair diagnose, but could it be postpartum anxiety? my wife was extremely anxious every time we were in the car driving to an appointment with the newborn even when the weather was good, im a good driver etc

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Chef Boyardeez Nuts
Sep 9, 2011

The more you kick against the pricks, the more you suffer.
Keep an eye on that poo poo, postpartum anxiety bloomed to full blown OCD at our house.