Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Tzen
Sep 11, 2001

Dreylad posted:

just tried out babby in the carrier, she loves it and fell asleep and i have both hands free. im so free. my posting powers are restored.
those baby carrier days ruled
unfortunately i started using it as a crutch to put my baby to nap
because they would immediately wake up when removed from the carrier, i'd end up walking around the house or doing whatever chore while they were strapped in for 2 hours or so
doing dishes, laundry, watching tv, console and pc gaming, posting, taking a poo poo, you name it i've done it
it got old real quick

second child i only used it when out and about, and didn't try to make it an assist on nap/sleep time

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Bar Ran Dun
Jan 22, 2006

there are hard framed up to toddler backpacks too if hiking is one’s thing.

Struensee
Nov 9, 2011
I'm a big fan of the automatic rocker we have strapped to our baby carriage. Put our 6 month old down, turn it on. He's usually out in 5-10 minutes, mostly for 2-3 hours if we let him sleep outside in the cold.

Struensee has issued a correction as of 08:15 on Jan 7, 2022

Bar Ran Dun
Jan 22, 2006

Are you Scandinavian? don’t do that in the states if you ever visit.

Struensee
Nov 9, 2011
Yes, and lol at going back to the states ever. What a shithole. Sorry about your country, Americans.

DR FRASIER KRANG
Feb 4, 2005

"Are you forgetting that just this afternoon I was punched in the face by a turtle now dead?
why would you ever visit the United States on purpose?

Struensee
Nov 9, 2011

DR FRASIER KRANG posted:

why would you ever visit the United States on purpose?

I was young and dumb(er) once

PerniciousKnid
Sep 13, 2006

Struensee posted:

Yes, and lol at going back to the states ever. What a shithole. Sorry about your country, Americans.

:(

Sorry that sucking poo poo is our main export.

DR FRASIER KRANG
Feb 4, 2005

"Are you forgetting that just this afternoon I was punched in the face by a turtle now dead?
i visited the US once and never left. Fuckin parents.

LonsomeSon
Nov 22, 2009

A fishperson in an intimidating hat!

Struensee posted:

:same:

Fat-Lip-Sum-41.mp3
Nov 15, 2003
Props to my school district:

quote:

At this time, we have not adopted the new Centers for Disease Control and Prevention (CDC)
recommendations for K-12 schools that include reduced days for quarantine and isolation. In order to
effectively plan for thoughtful implementation of changes to the new guidance, our current health
protocols regarding quarantine and isolation will remain the same until further notice. Quarantine and
isolation lengths remain unchanged at 10 days.

Another Bill
Sep 27, 2018

Born on the bayou
died in a cave
bbq and posting
is all I crave

Struensee posted:

I used to love being rhe contrarian who stuck up for the USA against smug Canadians but I can't do it in good conscience anymore.

I really hope they can pull out of this tailspin because I love traveling there and if they go down they're probably going to take Canada with them.

Chef Boyardeez Nuts
Sep 9, 2011

The more you kick against the pricks, the more you suffer.
It's amazing how fast my three year old
1. Learned to enable wifi on her tablet
2. Learned to pretend she doesn't
3. Learned to low-key turn it off if I walk over to her

It's going to be a long 15 years.

Dreylad
Jun 19, 2001

Struensee posted:

I'm a big fan of the automatic rocker we have strapped to our baby carriage. Put our 6 month old down, turn it on. He's usually out in 5-10 minutes, mostly for 2-3 hours if we let him sleep outside in the cold.

i heard about this practice and while i don't think i'd have the balls to do it in canada where i'd instantly get reported by someone to child services im curious as to how the practice emerged and why. a bundled up baby with fresh air helps them sleep?

Another Bill posted:

I used to love being rhe contrarian who stuck up for the USA against smug Canadians but I can't do it in good conscience anymore.

I really hope they can pull out of this tailspin because I love traveling there and if they go down they're probably going to take Canada with them.

i used to do the same thing but with alberta but these days? lol. lmao.

Fat-Lip-Sum-41.mp3
Nov 15, 2003

Chef Boyardeez Nuts posted:

It's amazing how fast my three year old
1. Learned to enable wifi on her tablet
2. Learned to pretend she doesn't
3. Learned to low-key turn it off if I walk over to her

It's going to be a long 15 years.

Your children will poison you with arsenic for unrestricted access to an ipad.

You must go full Stalinist with screentime and screentime regulation.

As soon as they can read, offer books as an unrestricted alternative.

Chef Boyardeez Nuts
Sep 9, 2011

Oh yeah, she gets 15 minutes twice a day if she feeds the cats and cleans her room. She hasn't figured her way out of Amazon's walled garden yet.

DR FRASIER KRANG
Feb 4, 2005

my kids will play smash bros for six hours straight if I let them. sometimes I let them.

yesterday I came downstairs and they had built a very cool custom level with a bunch of portals and we figured out how to program the toggle switches to trigger events.

some screentime can be surprisingly fruitful.

Subjunctive
Sep 12, 2006

✨sparkle and shine✨

we treat interactive and social screen time differently from passive time. the kids can play with an electronic toy whenever they could play with a physical one, pretty much, and especially over the last …everything… we don’t really meter device time spent talking with friends. just sitting there and suckling on YouTube/Netflix/etc for extended periods is frowned upon.

our kids are 14 and 12 now, but at least for the 14yo that’s been the case pretty much her whole life

BonHair
Apr 28, 2007

Dreylad posted:

i heard about this practice and while i don't think i'd have the balls to do it in canada where i'd instantly get reported by someone to child services im curious as to how the practice emerged and why. a bundled up baby with fresh air helps them sleep?

i used to do the same thing but with alberta but these days? lol. lmao.

As a Scandinavian, it's completely normal, to the point that pretty much everyone does it. You just wrap the baby up so it's warm (duvets, insulated stroller, warm clothes) and keep an alarm to notify you when they wake up.

I'd guess the practice comes from a combination of space limitation, not wanting to wake the baby up if you walked somewhere while it feel asleep and just a general fresh air is good mentality.

It's also kicking rad because you don't have to be quiet while the baby sleeps if you live in an apartment.

Alarms sometimes come with temperature sensors, but that's for paranoids in my opinion.

Fat-Lip-Sum-41.mp3
Nov 15, 2003
Kid had a bday party scheduled for tomorrow. I did not want to go because I'm sure I would be exposed by some maskless parent.

Turns out I had nothing to worry about. The birthday boy was already exposed to covid at daycare so the party is cancelled!

Struensee
Nov 9, 2011

Dreylad posted:

I think it's just been the way it's always been done. Our 6 month old son sleeps 2-3 hours outside twice a day. He'll be in his normal clothes, baby alarm in the thick sleeping bag (voksi) with him in the carriage. Temps in the bag never go below 22 C. The automatic rocker only goes for half an hour, but he's usually out in minutes. If we put him to bed inside he'll sleep for an hour at most.

BonHair posted:

Alarms sometimes come with temperature sensors, but that's for paranoids in my opinion.

My wife packed him in so many layers when we were in Norway that the alarm started going off for the bag being too hot. It was only -2 C outside.

DR FRASIER KRANG
Feb 4, 2005

walked downstairs to my kids watching Inside Out and oh Ho Ho you won't trick me into crying over a stupid movie twice. not gonna happen.

Another Bill
Sep 27, 2018

Born on the bayou
died in a cave
bbq and posting
is all I crave

DR FRASIER KRANG posted:

walked downstairs to my kids watching Inside Out and oh Ho Ho you won't trick me into crying over a stupid movie twice. not gonna happen.

Yeah that one's pretty rough. I watched the new Ghostbusters last night and I enjoyed it. Not as great as the original but still an A++ kids movie.

We've been working through the Harry Potter movies and holy cow those are boring. I can't stay awake through a single one.

Son of Thunderbeast
Sep 21, 2002
Today i learned my toddler is now capable of working the deadbolt and locking me out of the house while I'm taking the dog to go poop

silvergoose
Mar 18, 2006

IT IS SAID THE TEARS OF THE BWEENIX CAN HEAL ALL WOUNDS

DR FRASIER KRANG posted:

I saw that in the theater shortly after having my first kid, my parents babysitting for the first time...

loving bawled at that moment near the end, and I tear up even thinking it it. Love that movie, but holy lord the emotions.

PerniciousKnid
Sep 13, 2006

Son of Thunderbeast posted:

Today i learned my toddler is now capable of working the deadbolt and locking me out of the house while I'm taking the dog to go poop

I haven't walked out of my house without my keys for five years for this reason.

Son of Thunderbeast
Sep 21, 2002

PerniciousKnid posted:

I haven't walked out of my house without my keys for five years for this reason.

Yeah i learned an important lesson today

BonHair
Apr 28, 2007

Pro tip: while bathroom keys may seem like a good idea in the adult world, consider removing then when you have kids between maybe three and seven?

Another Bill
Sep 27, 2018

Born on the bayou
died in a cave
bbq and posting
is all I crave

Son of Thunderbeast posted:

We went out to dinner X number of years ago and got a call at the mid-meal from our babysitters mother that she had locked herself out of our house with our kids still inside and awake.

Luckily we were local and able to be home in less than 10 minutes but holy poo poo I was mad. They're family friends so we took a 'no harm no foul' position (she was just a teenager herself) but it really hosed up my feelings about getting a babysitter for a while.

Parenting is fun!

camoseven
Dec 30, 2005

RODOLPHONE RINGIN'
We replaced all our keyed entries with coded entries. It rocks, you should all do it.

ErrorInvalidUser
Aug 23, 2021

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

camoseven posted:

We replaced all our keyed entries with coded entries. It rocks, you should all do it.

not much for talking

CloFan
Nov 6, 2004

tried out the carrier today after reading the discussion, daughter is just a smidge too small for it just yet and could only put up with it for 10 minutes. we've got a poo poo tonne of baby proofing to do around the house, that's for sure.

DR FRASIER KRANG
Feb 4, 2005

you need the moby wrap for a tiny newborn.

it's like a baby sarong

ErrorInvalidUser
Aug 23, 2021

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
they lacka athleticism

Dreylad
Jun 19, 2001
i like how infants will wake up sometimes screaming like they're dying and by the time you see what's wrong they're back asleep

i am harry
Oct 14, 2003

BonHair posted:

Pro tip: while bathroom keys may seem like a good idea in the adult world, consider removing then when you have kids between maybe three and seven?

doorknobs with locks on the bedroom doors...thats great when your 3yo figures out how to turn that after storming off to their bedroom and slamming the door first.

fosborb
Dec 15, 2006

Chronic Good Poster

DR FRASIER KRANG posted:

you need the moby wrap for a tiny newborn.

it's like a baby sarong

Bar Ran Dun
Jan 22, 2006

i am harry posted:

doorknobs with locks on the bedroom doors...thats great when your 3yo figures out how to turn that after storming off to their bedroom and slamming the door first.

get gud at unlocking them through the little hole.

Chef Boyardeez Nuts
Sep 9, 2011

brugroffil posted:

For a little bit older kids, my daughter's been loving this book:

Got this for my three year old and not only does she love it, she now demands I gaslight her when reading all her other stories too.

A++ would incept that adults are not to be trusted again

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Mustached Demon
Nov 12, 2016

BonHair posted:

Check the little lip on top of the door frame. Those inside door locks with the little holes to unlock them come with keys. Usually where they get stashed. Key makes it easy to open those locks.