Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

BonHair
Apr 28, 2007

tristeham posted:

lol your kid is carbrained

At least he understands that buses are better than cars. Big lorries may be better than buses though.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Son of Thunderbeast
Sep 21, 2002
Today kiddo was playing Type Rider and started going "jesus christ!" every time she died or finished a level :blush:

Chad Sexington
May 26, 2005

I think he made a beautiful post and did a great job and he is good.

4:45 today.

Trying to convince myself she just wants to spend time with me before daycare. Certainly she gets more cartoons this way.

Elissimpark
May 20, 2010

Bring me the head of Auguste Escoffier.

Son of Thunderbeast posted:

Today kiddo was playing Type Rider and started going "jesus christ!" every time she died or finished a level :blush:

The joys of discovering your swearing habits via your kids. Our eldest picked up "piss off" as her first swear, because that tends to be my go-to driving swear.

Dawncloack
Nov 26, 2007
ECKS DEE!
Nap Ghost
Oh boy, it's not my go-to swear, but I certainly had a moment of realization one day when I said no to something and my kid got mad and called me "annoying".

Yes, I am not a morning person and I might have said that to him, exasperated, while under the 7am barrage of words. :(

That said, heads up, because it isn't just swears. My kid wanted to play "You are me and I am papa" and it took me a second to realize, with stark clarity, what is the most common thing I say to him.

Which, hey, I passed that one test (my phrase seems to be "It's ok, don't worry, I'm here with you") but it was still a shock to realize.

My best friend's is, apparently "would you just take it easy/tone it down?".

HootTheOwl
May 13, 2012

Hootin and shootin

Chad Sexington posted:

Trying to convince myself she just wants to spend time with me before daycare. Certainly she gets more cartoons this way.

530, plus 215 for an extra bottle.
It's a regression folks. They call it sleep regression.

HootTheOwl
May 13, 2012

Hootin and shootin

Dawncloack posted:

Oh boy, it's not my go-to swear, but I certainly had a moment of realization one day when I said no to something and my kid got mad and called me "annoying".

Yes, I am not a morning person and I might have said that to him, exasperated, while under the 7am barrage of words. :(

That said, heads up, because it isn't just swears. My kid wanted to play "You are me and I am papa" and it took me a second to realize, with stark clarity, what is the most common thing I say to him.

Which, hey, I passed that one test (my phrase seems to be "It's ok, don't worry, I'm here with you") but it was still a shock to realize.

My best friend's is, apparently "would you just take it easy/tone it down?".

Waiting for my child to mug like an idiot and ask "the gently caress did I do?"

hubris.height
Jan 6, 2005

Pork Pro

ikanreed posted:

If you read together, my son adored the game of "dad misreads a word and gives him a moment between words to correct him" it teaches that reading is a thing where mistakes happen and makes being read to a less passive activity.

this was good advice, many months later she picks elephant or piggies to read with me, like a play, when we read the elephant and piggie books. thanks!

she's been excited to report how many levels she beats in her reading program at school now too

DR FRASIER KRANG
Feb 4, 2005

"Are you forgetting that just this afternoon I was punched in the face by a turtle now dead?

Chad Sexington posted:

there was a time when my son was like four or five when he would just wake up at 2 in the morning and start watching cartoons.

I'd come downstairs and be like "what the heck are you doing?" and he'd look at me like I was the one out of line. maybe he was right.

sonatinas
Apr 15, 2003

Seattle Karate Vs. L.A. Karate
I’ve had to put like timers and auto shutoffs on tv time because of streaming.

it’s not like shows would be over and then some crap kid doesn’t like would be after. a kid can just binge forever.

it’s a bit harder with a kid that has attention(hyper focus) issues but making it work.

041724_4
Apr 18, 2024

Somebody has issued a correction as of 00:41 on Apr 18, 2024

Chef Boyardeez Nuts
Sep 9, 2011

The more you kick against the pricks, the more you suffer.
Love to check out summer camps and worry that my kid is falling behind in brand development.

External Organs
Mar 3, 2006

One time i prank called a bear buildin workshop and said I wanted my mamaws ashes put in a teddy from where she loved them things so well... The woman on the phone did not skip a beat. She just said, "Brang her on down here. We've did it before."

Chef Boyardeez Nuts posted:

Love to check out summer camps and worry that my kid is falling behind in brand development.

The sports ball is called poop, the board is called poop. The brand is called poop TM

no lube so what
Apr 11, 2021

External Organs posted:

The sports ball is called poop, the board is called poop. The brand is called poop TM

a subsidiary of poop world wide tm

KirbyKhan
Mar 20, 2009

Soiled Meat

Just pop your kid in front of a chat-gpt and go through marketing prompts if you want to teach branding to your child. Only good use case of Copilot or Mid journey I've seen so far: making a parent look like a wizard who can turn vague descriptions into pictures.

Camps are overly expensive. It has been 'funny' seeing my peers and in-laws grapple with the fact they have been priced out of sending their kids to the sleep-away camps they went to. Idk I grew up going to extended family house during summer break.

But I looked and camp is mad expensive. No legacy prices or anything, this poo poo maybe wasn't a scam back then but it is hella scam right now, I should get in on this.

Chad Sexington
May 26, 2005

Excuse me for a moment while I get E/N about boomer grandparents.

My dad recently moved from ~8 hours away from us to ~3 hours, with one of the spoken reasons being that he wanted to be closer to my brother and I and the grandkids as they got older. Very cool, down with having grandparents more involved. He's only seen my daughter twice in 20 months and both times for less than a day.

The last time we spoke he said he is literally not doing anything all day since retirement and they have no plans to go on vacations or anything. So I emailed him this week throwing a few Saturday options at him for us to come and visit. Not even stay with them, mind, but come in the morning and spend all day, then stay at a hotel and peace out Sunday. He responded that they can't do it because those dates are in the "window of opportunity" when they *might* move my stepmother's mother into a home closer to them. And as it turns out, this window of opportunity extends through August?

My mother lives in Florida and goes on cruises or to Vegas with my stepdad every other month and has also been extremely non-committal about visiting. Even after I explicitly invited them here because the budget precludes us flying down there this year before Thanksgiving.

Is this normal? It doesn't feel normal. Maybe I'm just misremembering my childhood, but I thought grandparents were supposed to be pestering their kids for opportunities to spoil the grandchildren.

Cabbages and Kings
Aug 25, 2004

Shall we be trotting home again?
taking my kids to see Bluey Live! tonight and I'd be loving lying if I said I wasn't looking forward to it. My partner sprang for the VIP package so I guess we get to Meet Bluey :raise:

Chad Sexington posted:

Is this normal? It doesn't feel normal. Maybe I'm just misremembering my childhood, but I thought grandparents were supposed to be pestering their kids for opportunities to spoil the grandchildren.

my mom is obsessed with seeing our kids but is having memory issues that make it very hard. My dad is still entirely with it mentally but is very stressed by everything happening with my mom, but, even before that was a factor he's just never seemed to have that much interest in our kids? He will hold them for a couple minutes or read them a book, but my mom is all over them forcing constant interaction and my dad would generally rather be off puttering in his computer room with art software.

IIRC he was a bit more interested in my older siblings' kids, but, only a little bit.

No idea what `normal` is though, my parents are aging Zen Weirdos.

KirbyKhan posted:

Just pop your kid in front of a chat-gpt and go through marketing prompts if you want to teach branding to your child. Only good use case of Copilot or Mid journey I've seen so far: making a parent look like a wizard who can turn vague descriptions into pictures.
img2img poo poo using their drawings as input can be very fun

"using technologies that have entire threads devoted to how they are destroying the world, to amuse my kids" seems to be a norm in this thread at this point :laugh:

Cabbages and Kings has issued a correction as of 16:05 on Apr 18, 2024

KirbyKhan
Mar 20, 2009

Soiled Meat
Man, grandparents suck poo poo when they do that homebunker heavy avoidance poo poo then just hop on over to a cruise or resort or whatever. It is very frustrating, like so many big moves got made for them all for the stars to align and grant them grama-nirvana, but nah they got a samsara rear end cruise with someone in their frat or some other boomer bullshit. Ugh, u r not alone op

sonatinas
Apr 15, 2003

Seattle Karate Vs. L.A. Karate

KirbyKhan posted:

Camps are overly expensive. It has been 'funny' seeing my peers and in-laws grapple with the fact they have been priced out of sending their kids to the sleep-away camps they went to. Idk I grew up going to extended family house during summer break.

But I looked and camp is mad expensive. No legacy prices or anything, this poo poo maybe wasn't a scam back then but it is hella scam right now, I should get in on this.

camp is expensive. also we had to book the 8 weeks of summer camp in January because of demand.

we have no family around for child care. even if we lived near either sets of parents they are too old/sick. we just don’t have an option extended family. its really top heaving meaning through the generations there are barely any kids. all old people, parents and kids, no teens.
(my brother has 3 kids but lives in Japan so can’t just summer over there)

our kid is too young for sleepaway camp but maybe we’ll try it in a couple years.

sonatinas has issued a correction as of 16:09 on Apr 18, 2024

BonHair
Apr 28, 2007

Yeah, it sounds like you just got dud parents. It happens, but for many different reasons. If you're lucky, he's either insecure about the whole thing and deflecting, or it's his wife being weird. Maybe be upfront about it with him?

Nocturtle
Mar 17, 2007

Camp/summer school/child care during school holidays are definitely expensive. However they're only a shadow of the cost of having a kid full-time year-round in daycare so I try not to complain, too much.

Also objectively the correct minimum time period between having kids is 5 years because that ensures you don't need to pay for multiple kids in daycare/college simultaneously.

Armacham
Mar 3, 2007

Then brothers in war, to the skirmish must we hence! Shall we hence?

Cabbages and Kings posted:

taking my kids to see Bluey Live! tonight and I'd be loving lying if I said I wasn't looking forward to it. My partner sprang for the VIP package so I guess we get to Meet Bluey :raise:

Hell yeah, bluey rules

Chad Sexington
May 26, 2005

The newest Bluey ep hit me right in my cold dead heart this morning. Good show.

Mad Wack
Mar 27, 2008

"The faster you use your cooldowns, the faster you can use them again"

Chad Sexington posted:

i think it's more common then people actively share, for every family we know with super present grandparents there are three that struggle by with what seems like no family support

ours are both ends of the spectrum in the worst way, one set hyper present but suffering huge cognitive issues that make childcare dangerous and the other set so distant you wonder if you are even related

Mad Wack
Mar 27, 2008

"The faster you use your cooldowns, the faster you can use them again"
our current family issue is both our childless siblings demanding we host them so they can be cool aunts/uncles while we are just trying to make it thru the day and can't handle two more adult children

DR FRASIER KRANG
Feb 4, 2005

"Are you forgetting that just this afternoon I was punched in the face by a turtle now dead?
*child-free

ikanreed
Sep 25, 2009

I honestly I have no idea who cannibal[SIC] is and I do not know why I should know.

syq dude, just syq!

hubris.height posted:

this was good advice, many months later she picks elephant or piggies to read with me, like a play, when we read the elephant and piggie books. thanks!

she's been excited to report how many levels she beats in her reading program at school now too

That's great to hear, my son also likes books as plays. It took him a while to from saying "I want to be everything but [comprehensive list of speaking characters in the book]" to "I want to be the narrator"

Fat-Lip-Sum-41.mp3
Nov 15, 2003
my seven year son has invented bisexual dinosaurs

a female and a male will fight for the right to mate with a male by butting heads

mostly the females win, but sometimes...

hubris.height
Jan 6, 2005

Pork Pro

Armacham posted:

Hell yeah, bluey rules

:yeah:

Chad Sexington posted:

The newest Bluey ep hit me right in my cold dead heart this morning. Good show.

my wife and daughter made fun of me for crying :(

Benagain
Oct 10, 2007

Can you see that I am serious?
Fun Shoe

Fat-Lip-Sum-41.mp3 posted:

my seven year son has invented bisexual dinosaurs

a female and a male will fight for the right to mate with a male by butting heads

mostly the females win, but sometimes...

Every generation thinks they invented sex, meanwhile I was loving dinosaurs back in the day but do I get any credit?

Chef Boyardeez Nuts
Sep 9, 2011

The more you kick against the pricks, the more you suffer.
We've got a dud grandma. Lives an hour and a half away and has less of a relationship than other grandparents who live six states away. Her loss, tbh. It's literally her only grandchild.

Microplastics
Jul 6, 2007

:discourse:
It's what's for dinner.

We've got a dud grandma.

Is it still in warranty?

Fat-Lip-Sum-41.mp3
Nov 15, 2003
apparently all the girls at school wear black and are "goth," while mine still wears bright clothes, which means she's actually goth and the other girls are posers

KirbyKhan
Mar 20, 2009

Soiled Meat

apparently all the girls at school wear black and are "goth," while mine still wears bright clothes, which means she's actually goth and the other girls are posers

Hell yeah!

silvergoose
Mar 18, 2006

IT IS SAID THE TEARS OF THE BWEENIX CAN HEAL ALL WOUNDS

Have you read the Purplicious book, because, lmao

Microplastics
Jul 6, 2007

:discourse:
It's what's for dinner.

mine still wears bright clothes, which means she's actually goth

Ah, pastel goth

HootTheOwl
May 13, 2012

Hootin and shootin
Just because your soul is dark and your heart is sadness doesn't mean you can't wear pink in the spring.

DR FRASIER KRANG
Feb 4, 2005

We've got a dud grandma. Lives an hour and a half away and has less of a relationship than other grandparents who live six states away. Her loss, tbh. It's literally her only grandchild.

I've got a dud grandpa linked up to a stud grandma but they live across the country and the dud is holding the stud back.

External Organs
Mar 3, 2006

One time i prank called a bear buildin workshop and said I wanted my mamaws ashes put in a teddy from where she loved them things so well... The woman on the phone did not skip a beat. She just said, "Brang her on down here. We've did it before."
I waffled a dad connection yesterday. Met a neat little family at the playground who got along well with my four year old, but didn't exchange any kind of contact info. Dammit, we were having a nice chat while our kids were playing train robbers. Rip

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Dreylad
Jun 19, 2001

Cabbages and Kings posted:

that's awesome. They're running the Big Play near here and I was tempted but I don't think my kid is up for that yet. Instead we're going to the zoo on Monday.