Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Fat-Lip-Sum-41.mp3
Nov 15, 2003

oxsnard posted:

we are definitely not careful around our kids but they've intuitively picked up not to say the bad words on their own

those are Daddy Words

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Fat-Lip-Sum-41.mp3
Nov 15, 2003
Are anti-peer pressure campaigns just a way of suppressing democratic instincts in our children?

My daughter was watching a video for school where a bunch a kids are like I've NEVER peer pressured anyone (BULLSHIT) and talking about how people who use peer pressure are bad and selfish etc etc.

What is democracy if not peer pressure? A group majority decides on norms that are then imposed on the whole. That's peer pressure, god drat it. That's democracy. That's how it works!

Fat-Lip-Sum-41.mp3
Nov 15, 2003

sonatinas posted:

it’s just an euphemism for advocating bad choices I would think

Why are we marketing that as peer pressure? Any attempt to influence members of your peer group is peer pressure, but we only call it peer pressure when it's in a bad direction?

And by doing so, we declare by default that any instance of peer pressure is bad, even though it's a neutral concept.

Fat-Lip-Sum-41.mp3
Nov 15, 2003

Good soup! posted:

My 3 month old, back from her doctor's visit with her mom, looked at me and said "History does nothing, it ‘possesses no immense wealth’, it ‘wages no battles’. It is man, real, living man who does all that, who possesses and fights; ‘history’ is not, as it were, a person apart, using man as a means to achieve its own aims; history is nothing but the activity of man pursuing his aims."

I cried

my three year told me that he built all the buildings and planted all the trees.

i said, "so its your fault."

Fat-Lip-Sum-41.mp3
Nov 15, 2003
so who's sending their kids back to school after winter break?

Fat-Lip-Sum-41.mp3
Nov 15, 2003
my kid has been in school this year. the school has been doing a reasonably good job. occasionally we got an email from the principal about an individual covid case, but there havent been any outbreaks. staff and teachers seem to be on point.

but i have a very reasonable fear that this time its going to be a whole week before we get an email saying, "welp, everyone's got covid."

Fat-Lip-Sum-41.mp3
Nov 15, 2003

PerniciousKnid posted:

My plan is to send my Kindergartner as long as they have a mask mandate in place, which was going to be lifted after winter break but is now back on for various ill-defined reasons.

My kids school is still doing masks with no plans to stop, it's just that omicron doesn't seem to give much of a gently caress about cloth masks, which is all you can expect eight year olds to wear.

I'm heavily leaning towards keeping her home for a week, just in case the school blows up.

Fat-Lip-Sum-41.mp3
Nov 15, 2003
drat picture day is Friday.

Fat-Lip-Sum-41.mp3
Nov 15, 2003
Props to my school district:

quote:

At this time, we have not adopted the new Centers for Disease Control and Prevention (CDC)
recommendations for K-12 schools that include reduced days for quarantine and isolation. In order to
effectively plan for thoughtful implementation of changes to the new guidance, our current health
protocols regarding quarantine and isolation will remain the same until further notice. Quarantine and
isolation lengths remain unchanged at 10 days.

Fat-Lip-Sum-41.mp3
Nov 15, 2003

Chef Boyardeez Nuts posted:

It's amazing how fast my three year old
1. Learned to enable wifi on her tablet
2. Learned to pretend she doesn't
3. Learned to low-key turn it off if I walk over to her

It's going to be a long 15 years.

Your children will poison you with arsenic for unrestricted access to an ipad.

You must go full Stalinist with screentime and screentime regulation.

As soon as they can read, offer books as an unrestricted alternative.

Fat-Lip-Sum-41.mp3
Nov 15, 2003
Kid had a bday party scheduled for tomorrow. I did not want to go because I'm sure I would be exposed by some maskless parent.

Turns out I had nothing to worry about. The birthday boy was already exposed to covid at daycare so the party is cancelled!

Fat-Lip-Sum-41.mp3
Nov 15, 2003
Anyone send their kids to school last week? Did the schools melt down? We were out all week due to snow.

Fat-Lip-Sum-41.mp3
Nov 15, 2003

DR FRASIER KRANG posted:

the other day my son was playing BOTW and he was saying "take that you blackies!" (because he was fighting the black variant of an enemy) and we paused the game and I told him "you can't say that because that term (among others) has been used as a slur against black people."

I took my four year old to birthday party at Chuck E Cheese over the summer. This was a terrible mistake, CEC sucks rear end and no one was wearing a mask. Never again.

They had the latest Transformers shooty-game that is similar to the arcade classic LA Machineguns only worse in every possible way.

Later, he's telling Mom about the game and how he had to SHOOT THE BLACK GUYS. And then I remembered that, yes, most of the Decepticons in the game are a black metal color.

Very cool game design by Sega Ent.

Fat-Lip-Sum-41.mp3
Nov 15, 2003

bitmap posted:

my 2 year old got her face scratched up by some kid at daycare :mad:

my little girl got bit several times. there was a biter in her daycare class. she wasnt the only one. we got reports, but you know they dont disclose the names. but i know his name. motherfucker's name is Coby.

i know that because i picked her up one day and she said, "Coby bite!" so i got your rear end Coby. wherever you are.

Fat-Lip-Sum-41.mp3
Nov 15, 2003

Another Bill posted:

I have an eight year old who's pissed at me because I won't let her be a twitch Roblox role play streamer. This poo poo happens fast.

Get em off the loving internet. Send them to their rooms. Give them books. They will read them.

Fat-Lip-Sum-41.mp3
Nov 15, 2003

NeatHeteroDude posted:

I think I have a short list of things i recommend to parents about internet usage and access, and one of the big ones is that they always know which streamers their kid watches

the easiest number of streamers to keep track of is zero. i have a youtube extension that only shows videos from subscribed channels, so i can subscribe to something she can use, like a follow-along for practicing music, without worrying about her getting lost in some low quality bullshit.

children need education, books, and toys. they do not need the loving internet. at all.

i have seen my nine year old's peers. i know which ones have the internet brain. it sucks.

Fat-Lip-Sum-41.mp3
Nov 15, 2003
3rd grader just learned that the Ancient Romans had a Representative Democracy, and the United States also has a Representative Democracy. Isn't that nice?

Fat-Lip-Sum-41.mp3
Nov 15, 2003

Chad Sexington posted:

My wife is only 20 weeks pregnant, so not sure I qualify for this thread yet, but lead chat has prompted me to order a test kit for our 1950s house!

We ordered a full lead survey for a 1920s house where they use a machine to scan all the walls and stuff. You get a report with numbers for the level of lead on each surface.

It penetrates through paint so you can get a good read on whether or not the lead is "sealed." High numbers mean the lead paint is likely on top.

After we did ours I repainted most of the house using Zinsser Cover Stain oil-based primer followed by regular latex paint. That is what most professionals would recommend. They don't recommend stripping because that just releases the lead into the air. At least, not by yourself. It's a special job that is very expensive.

The downside of doing this report is now you know about the lead paint so you can't check the box that says, "I don't know" if you sell the house. You have to give potential buyers a copy of the report.

Fat-Lip-Sum-41.mp3 has issued a correction as of 13:18 on May 12, 2022

Fat-Lip-Sum-41.mp3
Nov 15, 2003

IAMKOREA posted:

Why are they so cranky afterwards? Are they playing online in toxic environments? That's not a snippy question I legit have no idea about the modern state of Minecraft, when I played it like a decade ago or whatever it was pretty chill but there was no multiplayer at that point unless you like set up a lan with your stoner roommate which again, was pretty chill

High intensity audio-visual stimulation. That's all. The brain is getting a lot of stimulation while the muscles do nothing. When you shut it off, they get cranky. They want screen time more than anything in the world. It's bad for them.

It's bad for us, too.

Fat-Lip-Sum-41.mp3
Nov 15, 2003
five year old has informed me that when he grows up, "i'm going to shred your documents."

Fat-Lip-Sum-41.mp3
Nov 15, 2003

unlimited shrimp posted:

Videogames for a five year old: so good or no good?

Kiddo used to like playing Minecraft on an old & now defunct work tablet. I saw that you can get it on the Switch and my Switch is otherwise collecting dust. I'm trying to thread the needle between giving him common experiences with his peers but also not letting him grow up to become a SomethingAwful forums poster. I'm also wary of starting that instant gratification dopamine drip so young.

I had an NES around age five or six and access to SNES via friends until I got a Genesis around age 8 or thereabouts. I couldn't say if it affected me one way or the other but I don't think I was ever a huge console gamer. Gaming didn't become a problematic escapist thing until my first PC when I was 12ish, and that was tied up with a whole bunch of other lovely life changes.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=DsKaLIWGS4I

Fat-Lip-Sum-41.mp3
Nov 15, 2003
we had one of those microwave steam things like how you steam vegetables

Fat-Lip-Sum-41.mp3
Nov 15, 2003
Your primary job is to keep them alive and it's really not that hard.

Fat-Lip-Sum-41.mp3
Nov 15, 2003
Good luck earning the millions you'll need to even have the opportunity to do that poo poo. If you throw your kid under the bus in a public school environment, it is Very Bad.

Fat-Lip-Sum-41.mp3
Nov 15, 2003

lobster shirt posted:

look at this way, you are exchanging having to change diapers all the time for constantly stressing and worrying about the toilet needs of little kids who go from "i am fine" to "i am five seconds away from making GBS threads my pants" in a heartbeat

*checks watch*

"Ok time to go potty."

"I don't have to."

"Go to the potty."

"No I don't."

*bribes are offered, threats made, voices are raised*

"See? You peed. That's pee in the potty. You had to go potty."

"No I didn't."

Fat-Lip-Sum-41.mp3
Nov 15, 2003
PBSkids has plenty of decent shows for kids to watch. There's no need to give kids access to youtube. There's nothing they watch without my knowledge. I queue up everything. I'm a screentime nazi stalinist.

My older one has a phone connected to the wifi, but it locked down so that she can only facetime with people on her contact list or use Messenger Kids to talk to friends from school.

There's wikipedia on there too but she hasn't shown much interest in learning about Finland's heroic struggle against the USSR. Yet.

Fat-Lip-Sum-41.mp3
Nov 15, 2003
we have a dog

Fat-Lip-Sum-41.mp3
Nov 15, 2003

personally i object to the word "shooting" in the name of their preschool

Fat-Lip-Sum-41.mp3
Nov 15, 2003

Fleetwood posted:

my kid is watching a youtube livestream of rick astley play roblox

do you want them to get internet brain? because thats how you get internet brain

Fat-Lip-Sum-41.mp3
Nov 15, 2003
if he hasnt seen naruto its not the naruto run

Fat-Lip-Sum-41.mp3
Nov 15, 2003

Kal-L posted:

Wife says she's had a hard time bonding with our daughter, and says it's because she has her mom's (my mother in law) name. Says that giving her a different name would help. I'm not thrilled since we had decided on that name since years ago, and that's how I always tought of my then future daughter. She seemed to be content with just adding her sister's name, but now she says that maybe giving our daughter names from her side of the family is not working, so now every other day she starts calling her by another name, to see which one is a good fit.

Luckily, we still haven't gone to register her at city hall, so this has been kept at sitcom levels of annoyance. And I've made clear that her original name is what I'm always going to call her, no matter what, and am open to adding a second name, but keeping the original one.

Post-partum depression is a real thing. I'm not an expert or a relevant professional, but this might be more than a mere annoyance.

Fat-Lip-Sum-41.mp3
Nov 15, 2003
clearly i have given my children too many books and too few opportunities to simulate ethnic cleansing

Fat-Lip-Sum-41.mp3
Nov 15, 2003

kecske posted:

not if you're the dad who gets evicted from bed every time the babby wants your spot
:arghfist::mad:

their favorite tactic was attempting to disembowel me like an ostrich

Fat-Lip-Sum-41.mp3
Nov 15, 2003
Don't worry Germany will cut all of those programs over the next ten years.

Fat-Lip-Sum-41.mp3
Nov 15, 2003
i wish i hadnt been circumsized so i could understand whats going on with my sons weird rear end dick

Fat-Lip-Sum-41.mp3
Nov 15, 2003
Local public middle and high schools are planning to install metal detectors ("weapons detection systems" - probably millimeter wave). I had no idea they were considering it.

Fat-Lip-Sum-41.mp3
Nov 15, 2003

he didnt rank his kids at all. he said they were all balling

Fat-Lip-Sum-41.mp3
Nov 15, 2003

KirbyKhan posted:

https://twitter.com/DKThomp/status/1735763445654356150?t=JeTuOS02Dcyg1yqBIg3E_A&s=19

I look at this chart and it makes sense because teens know life sucks and they know that it isn't their parent's fault because life sucks for them too.

The goblins on my phone look at this chart and it makes sense because smartphones. It's all because of those dirty rottin parents giving their dirty rottin Iphones.

better cozy up with the 'rents, you don't want to want to go out there

Fat-Lip-Sum-41.mp3
Nov 15, 2003

Heck Yes! Loam! posted:

I only banned coco melon and Caillou.

Caillou was on and he asked, "Daddy, why do you have to go to work" and this guy, this motherfucker, says, "I like to work..."

I smashed the TV and screamed til I was horse. It took my poor son weeks to recover from that show.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Fat-Lip-Sum-41.mp3
Nov 15, 2003
thomas the tank engine is as alive as tupac