Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Biohazard
Apr 17, 2002

I've noticed this phenomena for awhile now, at least here in Colorado, but I doubt it's specific to this location. If you go to any public location like, say, a park, on a random weekday, it's full of people that don't really seem to have to work. A certain amount of this can be explained by:

*people who have the day off
*people who don't work M-F
*Stay at home parents

But even being super generous and saying that's 50% of those people, what the gently caress do the other half of them do for money? Are there just that many jobs out there that don't require you to have anything to show for the salary you're pulling from the company? Are these people all 1 month from getting fired? Is there just a job bubble, lots of 'creative' types just not doing poo poo and drawing 6 figure salaries?

I can't be the only jealous rear end in a top hat who's noticed this, right? More importantly, how do I get in on the action? Tell me about your job where you don't really do anything and just hang out all day.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

thomawesome
Jul 19, 2009
The part of Chicago I'm in it's like this, but that's because there's a lot of hipsters who work service industry who live here. The dude sitting at the bar on a Wednesday at 3 in the afternoon will more than likely be pouring me a beer after I get off work on Friday.

Sophy Wackles
Dec 17, 2000

> access main security grid
access: PERMISSION DENIED.

They are all working on their apps OP, the the pre-funding, pre-IPO stage.

Icochet
Mar 18, 2008

I have a very small TV. Don't make fun of it! Please don't shame it like that~

Grimey Drawer
They're working their asses off 24/7 but it doesn't look like it because their work poo poo is in the Cloud

Biohazard
Apr 17, 2002

Icochet posted:

They're working their asses off 24/7 but it doesn't look like it because their work poo poo is in the Cloud

It really doesn't look like it. They're either not on their computer or phone, or if they are, when you creep on their screens it's just reading articles about how hosed the world is or reading some food blog. EDIT: I will acknowledge remote workers. But those people tend to stick to coffee shops and the like.

Pawn 17 posted:

They are all working on their apps OP, the the pre-funding, pre-IPO stage.

Every uber/lyft driver these days seems to give this story. I've actually heard a few solid ideas, but I doubt even one of them will come to fruition.

Biohazard fucked around with this message at 19:22 on Feb 12, 2020

Icochet
Mar 18, 2008

I have a very small TV. Don't make fun of it! Please don't shame it like that~

Grimey Drawer

Biohazard posted:

It really doesn't look like it. They're either not on their computer or phone, or if they are, when you creep on their screens it's just reading articles about how hosed the world is or reading some food blog. EDIT: I will acknowledge remote workers. But those people tend to stick to coffee shops and the like.

At the office you instinctively alt+tab from your browser to a spreadsheet when someone approaches. Outdoors it works the other way around because you don't want to look like a square.

A Fancy Hat
Nov 18, 2016

Always remember that the former President was dumber than the dumbest person you've ever met by a wide margin

In the United States a lot of people work in the "gig economy" which is a fancy way of saying you have to work multiple jobs in order to make end's meet, most of which don't conform to the 9-5 five day a week model you must be a part of.

Most likely a portion of these people are working multiple part time jobs in order to keep a roof over their heads and are just trying to enjoy a tiny bit of freedom before going back to the soul-crushing majority of their lives.

Spinz
Jan 7, 2020

I ordered luscious new gemstones from India and made new earrings for my SA mart thread

Remember my earrings and art are much better than my posting

New stuff starts towards end of page 3 of the thread
Living off their parents

DeadFatDuckFat
Oct 29, 2012

This avatar brought to you by the 'save our dead gay forums' foundation.

They're out there having fun before coronavirus hits. They're actually real smart, OP

boar guy
Jan 25, 2007

we get paid for knowing stuff instead of doing stuff

Biohazard
Apr 17, 2002

boar guy posted:

we get paid for knowing stuff instead of doing stuff

I get paid for the stuff I know but I still have to produce a product. How did you get away from the producing a product part?

Spinz posted:

Living off their parents

Likely true in part here. Lots of rich texas oil money kids come here. And Californians.

A Fancy Hat posted:

In the United States a lot of people work in the "gig economy" which is a fancy way of saying you have to work multiple jobs in order to make end's meet, most of which don't conform to the 9-5 five day a week model you must be a part of.

Most likely a portion of these people are working multiple part time jobs in order to keep a roof over their heads and are just trying to enjoy a tiny bit of freedom before going back to the soul-crushing majority of their lives.

True. Maybe I'm just a giant judgmental rear end in a top hat. Still I think you can usually spot people that are on a break and have to go back to their lovely job. They have a broken look to them. Most people I see are way too relaxed for this.

Biohazard fucked around with this message at 19:38 on Feb 12, 2020

trouser chili
Mar 27, 2002

Unnngggggghhhhh
Those people are just part of the simulation.

boar guy
Jan 25, 2007

Biohazard posted:

I get paid for the stuff I know but I still have to produce a product. How did you get away from the producing a product part?

by knowing enough to do the work (produce the product) in a quarter of the time i bill for it :)

TremorX
Jan 19, 2001

All Hail Big Hairy Mike

What's the point of having people who are willing to die for "freedom" if nobody gets to actually enjoy it?

Mr.Pibbleton
Feb 3, 2006

Aleuts rock, chummer.

I work in a spa on an afternoon shift, sometimes I do weekends, so I have weekday mornings and sometimes days off.

Genesplicer
Oct 19, 2002

I give your invention the worst grade imaginable: An A-minus-minus!

Total Clam

trouser chili posted:

Those people are just part of the simulation.

Depending upon where you spawn, there will be a variable numbers of NPCs.

William Henry Hairytaint
Oct 29, 2011

The streets and parks are empty during normal 9-5 work hours OP, I think you're suffering from hallucinations and should see a doctor.

edit: please make sure the doctor is not also a hallucination

Biohazard
Apr 17, 2002

Genesplicer posted:

Depending upon where you spawn, there will be a variable numbers of NPCs.

This would explain why when I look around I just seem to see the same loving people over and over again.

hot cocoa on the couch
Dec 8, 2009

Many factories and warehouses work 24/7, which means 2/3rds of the work force is not at work during "office hours". Also, retail, fast food, etc.

When I was a warehouse leadhand I worked 6 or 9pm to 6am. I could either sleep right away and be up at 2 or 3, or be awake during the day and sleep in the afternoon. Depended what chores needed doing.

Recently I was working in a factory (as an engineer now, so 8am-430pm) and spoke to many of the line workers leaving in the morning (our shifts overlapped some) and they had the same routine.

The world isn't strictly 9-5 now op, and I busted my rear end for years to get a 9-5 desk job.

Biohazard
Apr 17, 2002

hot cocoa on the couch posted:

Many factories and warehouses work 24/7...

Fair point. This isn't a big industrial town, but I'm sure there's plenty of 3rd shift workers in medicine and whatnot. I always assumed people went home and went to bed after their shifts.

Stevie Lee
Oct 8, 2007

hot cocoa on the couch posted:

The world isn't strictly 9-5 now op, and I busted my rear end for years to get a 9-5 desk job.

same and now I loving hate it and I produce nothing

hot cocoa on the couch
Dec 8, 2009

Stevie Lee posted:

same and now I loving hate it and I produce nothing

It beats producing nothing and having to sleep during the day instead. Also destroying my back at 25 sucked

It's not thrilling but I at least I have time and money for things I actually enjoy

kecske
Feb 28, 2011

it's round, like always

Before I had a kid I'd sometimes take a day off without telling my wife. I'd leave the house in the morning as if I was going in but instead go get breakfast, go for a walk, get coffee, read a book. Sit outside for a while if it was warm out. Good times.

Alternatively, everyone you see outdoors during office hours is either coming from or going to a Grindr hookup.

Relayer
Sep 18, 2002
They could have vacation days they need to use up so they're taking a random mini vacation, or sick time, or maybe they work 3rd shift somewhere or they're on lunch break, or they "work from home" which is the best, you can just do whatever and send a couple emails and boom, you're working. I had a job like that and I miss it :(

numberoneposter
Feb 19, 2014

How much do I cum? The answer might surprise you!

i only work 4 days a week so i have to be tighter with my money but i can also do whatever the f*ck i want on tuesday or often times ill get a nice long weekend so i can be extra hung over on monday and not suffer the indignity of having to work through it

Chinatown
Sep 11, 2001

by Fluffdaddy
Fun Shoe
i post alot at work

it involves typing on a keyboard so it looks like im working

lifehack!!! :blastu:

Applesnots
Oct 22, 2010

MERRY YOBMAS

I lost my job last week, so yes I am sitting in a bathrobe and having a beer at 1:30pm on a Wednesday.

Reznor
Jan 15, 2006

Hot dinosnail action.
I work medical so I have a four day work week, covering the weekend, at odd hours. I am always at places at weird times.

mobby_6kl
Aug 9, 2009

by Fluffdaddy

numberoneposter posted:

i only work 4 days a week so i have to be tighter with my money but i can also do whatever the f*ck i want on tuesday or often times ill get a nice long weekend so i can be extra hung over on monday and not suffer the indignity of having to work through it

Can you swear on Tuesdays?

tripwood
Jul 21, 2003

"Cuno can see you're trying to shit him, but Cuno's unshittable, so fuck does Cuno care?"

Hint: He doesn't care.
9 to 5 work schedules aren't the norm anymore, grandpa. How many people under 30 have "normal" schedules anymore?

numberoneposter
Feb 19, 2014

How much do I cum? The answer might surprise you!

Chinatown posted:

i post alot at work

it involves typing on a keyboard so it looks like im working

lifehack!!! :blastu:
same

ill get really serious about a post and furrow my eyebrows a little bit and people think im writing a really important email

numberoneposter fucked around with this message at 20:37 on Feb 12, 2020

serious norman
Dec 13, 2007

im pickle rick!!!!
Programmer

Rabid Snake
Aug 6, 2004

Ever worked in a hospital?

Three "12 hour day" shifts and four days off.

bloom
Feb 25, 2017

by sebmojo
op's job doesn't seem to require real work if he has all this time to judge people in parks

zedprime
Jun 9, 2007

yospos
Playing guitar on the MTV
- That ain't working
- That's the way to do it.

coronavirus
Jan 27, 2020

by Cyrano4747

Biohazard posted:

I've noticed this phenomena for awhile now, at least here in Colorado, but I doubt it's specific to this location. If you go to any public location like, say, a park, on a random weekday, it's full of people that don't really seem to have to work. A certain amount of this can be explained by:

*people who have the day off
*people who don't work M-F
*Stay at home parents

But even being super generous and saying that's 50% of those people, what the gently caress do the other half of them do for money? Are there just that many jobs out there that don't require you to have anything to show for the salary you're pulling from the company? Are these people all 1 month from getting fired? Is there just a job bubble, lots of 'creative' types just not doing poo poo and drawing 6 figure salaries?

I can't be the only jealous rear end in a top hat who's noticed this, right? More importantly, how do I get in on the action? Tell me about your job where you don't really do anything and just hang out all day.

You are way, way, way overestimating the amount of people that actually work a 9-5 in an office they go to everyday monday-friday.

Out of 100 people

15 are children too young to work
10 are college/high school students that aren't working
5 are chronically unemployed (think big lebowski)
5 are disabled
20 are eldery/retired
10 work shift work (nights/weekends)
10 work part time (less than 20 hours week)
25 work m-f 9-5 ish or multiple jobs with a ton of hours in those times

And that might be overestimating the amount m-f 9-5

Alien Sex Manual
Dec 14, 2010

is not a sandwich

I’m in the DC metro area so I assume they’re all military wives or politicians.

Lil Swamp Booger Baby
Aug 1, 1981

OP and other posters, don't make moronic assumptions about how much other people work off of casual observation, it's a dick move and is some Republican "They're able to protest because none of them have jobs!" vibes where you just draw the conclusion that someone is lazy and/or doesn't have a "real job" because you can't see it with your limited perspective at the time.

Like just don't do that poo poo man.

Fried Watermelon
Dec 29, 2008

The real litmus test is to find a suburb that has sidewalks and see how many people are walking on them during 9-5. If you count more than 5 I'd be surprised.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Resting Lich Face
Feb 21, 2019

This case of an intraperitoneal zucchini is unusual, and does raise questions as to how hard one has to push a blunt vegetable to perforate the rectum.
The world is a great big pile of shi...ft work.