Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

vaginite
Feb 8, 2006

I'm comin' for you, colonel.

I just got out of a hell gig in public accounting, left just short of 10 years.

At the home stretch I'd literally just tell new guys that seemed cool to not work too hard and that being considered "hard-working" or "competent" was the worst thing that could happen to you. If you're better than your coworker you'll just have to do all of the work. We burned through some of the smartest, most hardworking people I ever met while paying them the same as someone who sucked and didn't ever have to do anything outside of really busy seasons because nobody wanted to use them.

But we'd basically promote/give raises out ratably because we didn't want to offend anyone.

I learned this lesson the very hard way but being good at your job is stupid. If you're going to work yourself into the ground do your own thing or have your own business. Otherwise the middle is the place to be, good enough to not get laid off but not so good none of the real stressful important poo poo lands in your lap.

Also to agree with "The Game" guy nobody has any loving idea what it actually takes to do what you're doing so just looking diligent is 90% of the thing. Additionally just come through on the poo poo you know that matters (but don't come through too convincingly or you'll get more responsibility) and you can absolutely half rear end everything else.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

ArbitraryC
Jan 28, 2009
Pick a number, any number
Pillbug

vaginite posted:

At the home stretch I'd literally just tell new guys that seemed cool to not work too hard and that being considered "hard-working" or "competent" was the worst thing that could happen to you. If you're better than your coworker you'll just have to do all of the work. We burned through some of the smartest, most hardworking people I ever met while paying them the same as someone who sucked and didn't ever have to do anything outside of really busy seasons because nobody wanted to use them.

But we'd basically promote/give raises out ratably because we didn't want to offend anyone.

I learned this lesson the very hard way but being good at your job is stupid. If you're going to work yourself into the ground do your own thing or have your own business. Otherwise the middle is the place to be, good enough to not get laid off but not so good none of the real stressful important poo poo lands in your lap.

Also to agree with "The Game" guy nobody has any loving idea what it actually takes to do what you're doing so just looking diligent is 90% of the thing. Additionally just come through on the poo poo you know that matters (but don't come through too convincingly or you'll get more responsibility) and you can absolutely half rear end everything else.

I feel like this advice is a bit mixed, I worked a temp job where I went from bottom tier worker to basically supervisor in less than a year and the pay did jump dramatically enough to not wanna mention it to fellow employees cause it'd cause drama. The "basically" a supervisor was why I ended up leaving the job though, cause I was paid less than the supervisors but had more or less the same responsibility and a constantly waffling engagement on whether I'd move up or not.

That strategy absolutely does work in jobs that are more career oriented and incremental levels to positions (think gov job that has scientist 1, 2, 3 etc) it's not to your detriment to work hard when advancement is available. Even if it's not you can end up earning like half again as much of the rest of the fleet by jumping up to the highest level quickly, and that's still worthwhile. Plus it gives you a platform to spring from to a better career path.

Not saying you should be a bootlicker but if there's no room for growth by setting yourself ahead of the pack the better option is probably to move jobs. You should never grind yourself down in a rewardless environment but it's not like that's the only option available. If anything if you find yourself in a white collar job where nothing you do matters you're probably already being overcompensated and should probably take a second to think about all the people who make far less who do far more.

Robo Reagan
Feb 12, 2012

by Fluffdaddy
definitely don't try too hard on jobs requiring physical work. i tried warning my wife nonstop to don't stand out working produce. she's so nice she kept picking up others slack and wound up with swing shifts where she'd be closing, get a few hours of sleep, then be up at 4am to go to the store to break down trucks

thankfully she finally started half assing it so she has less work, but she puts in just enough work to get a quarterly raise every time

you broke my grill
Jul 11, 2019

I just got hired as a writer for SA and I bring my laptop to the park to get some fresh air

Robo Reagan
Feb 12, 2012

by Fluffdaddy
you should write a front page article on my concave nipples

ScRoTo TuRbOtUrD
Jan 21, 2007

i have a job in IT where i do maybe an hour of work a day. ive had the same job at 3 different companies for the last decade. i play the game and got a 3 percent raise every year and a 10 percent bonus, and each time i get hired to a new company my pay jumps substantially. i fully expect and welcome dying in the first wave when society collapses.

Nathilus
Apr 4, 2002

I alone can see through the media bias.

I'm also stupid on a scale that can only be measured in Reddits.
People have already mentioned shiftwork, but I wanted to point out that aside from the traditional shiftwork you think about there are also a metric poo poo ton of nurses. They don't just work in hospitals either, a lot of them do home care. You will never meet these people professionally unless you are rotting away in your home.

Sanctum
Feb 14, 2005

Property was their religion
A church for one
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=R8vJgYQU_lY

A man calls in sick, and goes to the park only to find far too many other well-to-do loafers there. But how? Just lots of mothers in this neighborhood? No, it cannot be. There's just too many of them. What possible answer could there be? DON'T YOU PEOPLE HAVE JOBS? DO YOU PAY RENT? HOW DO YOU LIVE?

oldpainless
Oct 30, 2009

This 📆 post brought to you by RAID💥: SHADOW LEGENDS👥.
RAID💥: SHADOW LEGENDS 👥 - It's for your phone📲TM™ #ad📢

Yes hello I would like the job where you don’t have to work.

I’m talking to you Lowtax

Ugly In The Morning
Jul 1, 2010
Pillbug
So far today I’ve worked three hours of overtime where I have stapled like three things and sat around listening to podcasts. It rules. I think there’s thirty people on site today and basically no one is doing anything that could go wrong.

Wistful of Dollars
Aug 25, 2009

I'm not allowed to go to parks.

jokes
Dec 20, 2012

Uh... Kupo?

SCROTO TURBOSPERG posted:

i have a job in IT where i do maybe an hour of work a day. ive had the same job at 3 different companies for the last decade. i play the game and got a 3 percent raise every year and a 10 percent bonus, and each time i get hired to a new company my pay jumps substantially. i fully expect and welcome dying in the first wave when society collapses.

I always forget to mention that key part of playing The Game: always move to a new company. You effectively carryover all your goodwill plus a bonus and your bullshit never follows. And you get a fuckload more money when you go to a new job. There’s a chance they might actually expect you to deliver, but there are ways of showing you’re doing a good job without doing a good job, or any job at all.

Like celebrities, it is crucial that you never actually allow yourself to be truly weighed or measured and instead work on building up the impression of worth and value. By transitioning from job to job you can always puff yourself up more, but to the entire hiring world your puffery is confirmed when you’re hired somewhere. So if you start out a bad or idiot programmer but successfully hoodwink a new company into thinking you’re an excellent programmer and thus get hired, you’re always going to at least be on that tier forevermore, unless you gently caress up and let someone conclusively test you.

Always look for new jobs, it’s the best way to get paid more for doing less unless you find the sweet spot where you can get paid more than you think you need by doing effectively nothing and comfortable soak up those paychecks while playing video games at work.

In corporate America, it is never, ever about your actual productivity or your capabilities. It is about other people’s’ impressions of your productivity and capabilities. 90% of the time, bosses and managers are the craziest or most incompetent people in the room, usually because they are also playing the game. If you work hard and you’re expecting a raise, they’ll gently caress that up. But if you don’t work hard and try to trick them all into thinking you are, they’ll gently caress up and take the bait. In fact, you might already see people overtly kiss rear end and everyone sees it as absurd and disingenuous, but they’ll also watch it work.

Ever heard that old adage, “you will rise to your level of incompetence”? It’s mostly true. It presupposes that competence is rewarded and incompetence is apparent. If you can obfuscate your incompetence, and inflate others’ perception of your competence, you are winner. Best way of doing that: getting a new job. You alone get to construct the narrative during the hiring process!

jokes fucked around with this message at 17:18 on Feb 22, 2020

is pepsi ok
Oct 23, 2002

vaginite posted:

At the home stretch I'd literally just tell new guys that seemed cool to not work too hard and that being considered "hard-working" or "competent" was the worst thing that could happen to you. If you're better than your coworker you'll just have to do all of the work. We burned through some of the smartest, most hardworking people I ever met while paying them the same as someone who sucked and didn't ever have to do anything outside of really busy seasons because nobody wanted to use them..

:same:

You have to do the work because nobody else knows how because you're always doing the work. Can't get anyone up to speed because everything is due yesterday and is too important to give to the new guy. :sigh:

vaginite
Feb 8, 2006

I'm comin' for you, colonel.

is pepsi ok posted:

:same:

You have to do the work because nobody else knows how because you're always doing the work. Can't get anyone up to speed because everything is due yesterday and is too important to give to the new guy. :sigh:

Assuming you're in public it actually worked out though I was especially cynical when I wrote that post. I got snarked off to one too many many times in the middle of one of quite of a few months last year where I was billing 250 hours, not including travel. I got a bitch email from one of partners because I was paying too much attention to an audit with a hard deadline 15 days away, that the one (which should have been 2+ to begin with) senior on the job had quit on and all of the staff were straight-out-of-college bags of rocks that I had to show how to copy and paste poo poo in excel and repeatedly explain what a "general ledger" was.

Our whole department left over the course of the year too so I got like 5 new benefit plan audits dumped in my lap and the seniors I had for the ones I already had left too so I basically had to do all the poo poo by myself. The entirety of the vacation I accrued during the year expired. The partner on one benefit plans I turned in like months prior sent me an email (the aforementioned one in the middle of this) saying "I wish I could say I didn't give you a lot of review notes but I did" in the middle of the other project. This was also straight revenge too because she was mad at me because she got it in her head I was in cahoots with another one of the partners to undermine her. And I was over budget on the job (which was a result of manager doing staff level work, not inefficiency). Real psychopath poo poo to do someone who's killing themselves to pay for your infinity pool. I literally, in the middle of the busiest part of our year, replied "I wish I could say I'd be working here in 2 weeks but I'm not gonna be." I know you're not supposed to do that but goddamn it felt great. I blew her up so hard.

Another partner who I actually like a lot talked me into staying on for a few months to help him get some of his poo poo done and transition it. A couple really good seniors left too as a direct result of me leaving, "if you're leaving I'm not gonna stay". And when anyone asked why I was leaving I'd answer "because of that fuckin' bitch".

tldr; when things are really, really hard that thing you say to your valuable, stretched-too-thin employee might be the last straw.

I was scared to leave but the instant word got around I was leaving I had ex-coworkers and clients offering me jobs immediately. I'm a controller at a client now, got a 50% raise, and the CFO is a guy that left my firm that I worked with before and get along with great. Being good at poo poo sucks sometimes but it's the good long play, I was shocked at how easy it was to get another job and I didn't even have to interview. He asked for my resume "but don't worry about updating it the attorney just said we need it on file."

vaginite fucked around with this message at 19:09 on Feb 22, 2020

LethalGeek
Nov 4, 2009

jokes posted:

Always look for new jobs, it’s the best way to get paid more for doing less unless you find the sweet spot where you can get paid more than you think you need by doing effectively nothing and comfortable soak up those paychecks while playing video games at work.
I have to remember this occasionally when I'm still at scrub level of "career" I've stuck myself at. I'm a glorified janitor but one who works maybe 3 hours out of a 10 hour day from home and my job is 100% aware that I'm playing video games on the clock. I know this cause a manager mentioned to me that during a meeting about software deployment there was a list of stuff on the computers when someone went

"... The hell is Final Fantasy 14?"

Software manager looks up and goes "oh that's Lethalgeek"

And then they moved on with their awful boring meeting with no fucks given. I love having no actual responsibility so much.

ScRoTo TuRbOtUrD
Jan 21, 2007

jokes posted:

I always forget to mention that key part of playing The Game: always move to a new company. You effectively carryover all your goodwill plus a bonus and your bullshit never follows. And you get a fuckload more money when you go to a new job. There’s a chance they might actually expect you to deliver, but there are ways of showing you’re doing a good job without doing a good job, or any job at all.

Like celebrities, it is crucial that you never actually allow yourself to be truly weighed or measured and instead work on building up the impression of worth and value. By transitioning from job to job you can always puff yourself up more, but to the entire hiring world your puffery is confirmed when you’re hired somewhere. So if you start out a bad or idiot programmer but successfully hoodwink a new company into thinking you’re an excellent programmer and thus get hired, you’re always going to at least be on that tier forevermore, unless you gently caress up and let someone conclusively test you.

In corporate America, it is never, ever about your actual productivity or your capabilities. It is about other people’s’ impressions of your productivity and capabilities. 90% of the time, bosses and managers are the craziest or most incompetent people in the room, usually because they are also playing the game. If you work hard and you’re expecting a raise, they’ll gently caress that up. But if you don’t work hard and try to trick them all into thinking you are, they’ll gently caress up and take the bait. In fact, you might already see people overtly kiss rear end and everyone sees it as absurd and disingenuous, but they’ll also watch it work.

Ever heard that old adage, “you will rise to your level of incompetence”? It’s mostly true. It presupposes that competence is rewarded and incompetence is apparent. If you can obfuscate your incompetence, and inflate others’ perception of your competence, you are winner. Best way of doing that: getting a new job. You alone get to construct the narrative during the hiring process!

gently caress yeah, bro

WeedlordGoku69
Feb 12, 2015

by Cyrano4747

Robo Reagan posted:

definitely don't try too hard on jobs requiring physical work. i tried warning my wife nonstop to don't stand out working produce. she's so nice she kept picking up others slack and wound up with swing shifts where she'd be closing, get a few hours of sleep, then be up at 4am to go to the store to break down trucks

thankfully she finally started half assing it so she has less work, but she puts in just enough work to get a quarterly raise every time

Kroger? this sounds like Kroger.

gently caress working produce at Kroger jesus christ

Robo Reagan
Feb 12, 2012

by Fluffdaddy

LORD OF BOOTY posted:

Kroger? this sounds like Kroger.

gently caress working produce at Kroger jesus christ

publix. so the less fancy kroger

BigBadSteve
Apr 29, 2009

Wistful of Dollars posted:

I'm not allowed to go to parks.

Does the court order state the reason?

Infidel Castro
Jun 8, 2010

Again and again
Your face reminds me of a bleak future
Despite the absence of hope
I give you this sacrifice

I covered for a coworker over a summer doing third shift at an insurance call center. There were three of us in the whole building and we got maybe 2-3 calls a night. Otherwise it was just reading books or browsing the internet for 8 hours and getting paid for it. It loving ruled.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

WeedlordGoku69
Feb 12, 2015

by Cyrano4747

Robo Reagan posted:

publix. so the less fancy kroger

oh god :cripes: I'm sorry

yeah, i work produce at kroger. it's awful. coming in at 4am to run the wet rack and break down the truck is 100% a thing. my department manager is a solid enough dude and i like working with him, especially since he's a giant dorkass like me and i can talk about anime and games with him, but my store manager is a micromanaging hellfucker who spends every shift lodged so far up our asses that he can probably see daylight out the mouth, and that fat gently caress continuing to exist on this earth makes me highkey dread going to work.