Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Maximo Roboto
Feb 4, 2012

Heated Gaming Moment posted:

had a trackball like the screen had a pointer? never heard of a phone with a mouse before

early Android phones had it, including the Nexus One

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Penguissimo
Apr 7, 2007

Maximo Roboto posted:

With no brand license, Blackberry Mobile fades to black

Its focus on quick, keyboard-centric navigation was swept aside by the multitouch display the same way DOS was swept away by the Mac.

:thunk:

President Beep
Apr 30, 2009

i have to have a car because otherwise i cant drive around the country solving mysteries while being doggedly pursued by federal marshals for a crime i did not commit (9/11)

Maximo Roboto posted:

early Android phones had it, including the Nexus One

yuck. using a trackball way down on the edge of the phone like that would be awful.

infernal machines
Oct 11, 2012

we monitor many frequencies. we listen always. came a voice, out of the babel of tongues, speaking to us. it played us a mighty dub.

sounds like bby is going to be with us for quite some time

ClassActionFursuit
Mar 15, 2006

President Beep posted:

yuck. using a trackball way down on the edge of the phone like that would be awful.

the nexus one trackball was perfect in every way

Cybernetic Vermin
Apr 18, 2005

yeah, i quite liked the trackballs, kept your finger off the screen when just scrolling through reading stuff. killed by the combination of: 1) added .5% to cost as it was a thing, and one that could break; and; 2) apple didn't have one, so surely this one distinguishing lack of a feature is why we're not crushing them in the marketplace.

they'd be gone today either way since there's no space for them anymore, but i do miss interesting gimmicks being a thing.

President Beep
Apr 30, 2009

i have to have a car because otherwise i cant drive around the country solving mysteries while being doggedly pursued by federal marshals for a crime i did not commit (9/11)
ive got some balls you can track

Chumbawumba4ever97
Dec 31, 2000

by Fluffdaddy

President Beep posted:

i remember any time I bought a universal TV remote i had to remind myself to go out of my way and remember to get one where the play/ff/rewind buttons were not at the bottom and were in the middle of the remote

i had a few where it was on the bottom and it drove me insane

Schadenboner
Aug 15, 2011

by Shine
I had to replace the trackball on my BlackBerry Curve, it was a pain in the dick.

Raluek
Nov 3, 2006

WUT.

Schadenboner posted:

I had to replace the trackball on my BlackBerry Curve, it was a pain in the dick.

how did it sound?

Schadenboner
Aug 15, 2011

by Shine

Raluek posted:

how did it sound?

Like: “Ow, my dick.”

Maximo Roboto
Feb 4, 2012

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=UGl6V91k9hA

infernal machines
Oct 11, 2012

we monitor many frequencies. we listen always. came a voice, out of the babel of tongues, speaking to us. it played us a mighty dub.
sure, why not?

Maximo Roboto
Feb 4, 2012

https://www.reuters.com/article/us-blackberry-stocks/blackberry-says-unaware-of-reason-for-stock-price-surge-idUSKBN29U28L

Responding to a request from securities regulator the Investment Industry Regulatory Organization of Canada, BlackBerry said it was not aware of any material, undisclosed corporate developments that could have driven the surge in its stock and trading volume.

President Beep
Apr 30, 2009

now is the time to buy

Best Bi Geek Squid
Mar 25, 2016
sorry folks I have to come clean

I am the one who is buying all of the blackberry stock. I was doing it for an internet joke and didn't think that anyone would get hurt

kitten emergency
Jan 13, 2008

get meow this wack-ass crystal prison
the jogwheel was superior to the trackball

President Beep
Apr 30, 2009

kitten emergency posted:

the jogwheel was superior to the trackball

um no. sorry though (not sorry)

Fortaleza
Feb 21, 2008

For a while back in 2008 or 2009 I had a hand-me-down blackberry pearl that had a busted microphone and my buddy had an old Nokia that didn’t do texts so when we talked on the phone I had to communicate via pressing the dial pad, one beep for yes two for no

“You’re off work?”

*beep*

“You’re on the train?”

*beep* *beep*

“You’re waiting for the train?”

*beep*

“You wanna hit up the bar with that cute German chick?”

*beep*

We were roommates back then so luckily we could just talk face to face most of the time

Farmer Crack-Ass
Jan 2, 2001

this is me posting irl

Fortaleza posted:

For a while back in 2008 or 2009 I had a hand-me-down blackberry pearl that had a busted microphone and my buddy had an old Nokia that didn’t do texts so when we talked on the phone I had to communicate via pressing the dial pad, one beep for yes two for no

“You’re off work?”

*beep*

“You’re on the train?”

*beep* *beep*

“You’re waiting for the train?”

*beep*

“You wanna hit up the bar with that cute German chick?”

*beep*

We were roommates back then so luckily we could just talk face to face most of the time

lmbo

Sagebrush
Feb 26, 2012

pictured: fortaleza

Fortaleza
Feb 21, 2008

Said bar was the old Thirsty Lion in old town, we didn’t have very good taste back then

Farmer Crack-Ass
Jan 2, 2001

this is me posting irl
idk man i'm not remembering that joint but "cute German chick" sounds like as good a reason as any to go to a bar

Fortaleza
Feb 21, 2008

Oh Linda... she moved back to Bavaria soon after, and the thirsty lion became a big sucky brewpub chain. Never got her digits so thanks for nothing blackberry!

ClassActionFursuit
Mar 15, 2006

Fortaleza posted:

Oh Linda... she moved back to Bavaria soon after, and the thirsty lion became a big sucky brewpub chain. Never got her digits so thanks for nothing blackberry!

what wouldve been the point of getting her number if all you could do was beep at her?

President Beep
Apr 30, 2009

worked for me

cowboy beepboop
Feb 24, 2001

President Beep posted:

worked for me

lol

Dans Macabre
Apr 24, 2004

https://debugger.medium.com/meet-the-people-keeping-blackberry-alive-in-2021-d86ee9ae6634

Jonny 290
May 5, 2005

[ASK] me about OS/2 Warp

President Beep posted:

worked for me

Last Chance
Dec 31, 2004

jeff winger in community reruns is keeping the ole crackberry alive in my heart

Chumbawumba4ever97
Dec 31, 2000

by Fluffdaddy
Howard Stern's driver still uses a Blackberry to this day. they make fun of him for it a lot. he said he can't use any apps on it and if he wants to use twitter he had to download some weird 3rd party app to get it to work

KOTEX GOD OF BLOOD
Jul 7, 2012

tell us more about listening to howard stern

President Beep
Apr 30, 2009

baba booey baba booey!!!!

Dans Macabre
Apr 24, 2004

I'm all about going back to blackberry. I'm ready.

President Beep
Apr 30, 2009

NevergirlsOFFICIAL posted:

I'm all about going back to blackberry. I'm ready.

i have the yosberry.

President Beep
Apr 30, 2009

i also have this premium version

Jonny 290
May 5, 2005

[ASK] me about OS/2 Warp
i'd use that for a trap phone in 2021. i gotta use iphone for work because APPS but

Asymmetric POSTer
Aug 17, 2005

President Beep posted:

i have the yosberry.

how disgustingly off-white from all the embedded dead skin and sweat is that trackball when it’s fully illuminated? :stonk:

President Beep
Apr 30, 2009

Asymmetric POSTer posted:

how disgustingly off-white from all the embedded dead skin and sweat is that trackball when it’s fully illuminated? :stonk:

won’t turn on :(

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Dans Macabre
Apr 24, 2004

President Beep posted:

i have the yosberry.

ugh the pearl sucked though

need the thumbwheel