Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Cease to Hope
Dec 12, 2011
rise of the planet of the apes

all of those movies are pretty good

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Cease to Hope
Dec 12, 2011

Squizzle posted:

event ho-rise-on

Mooey Cow posted:

Interview with the Vampire by Anne Rice

:hmmyes:

Cease to Hope
Dec 12, 2011

Blackdog420 posted:

The Rise and Rise of Bitcoin (2014)

get out

Cease to Hope
Dec 12, 2011
hell yes sign me up for the mostly-CG prequel about the childhood of the series' villain

i hope it has a goofy CG sidekick that speaks mainly in babytalk!

Cease to Hope
Dec 12, 2011
I really do like the new planet of the apes films though

Cease to Hope
Dec 12, 2011

Dash Rendar posted:

that one was pretty decent. not the best. but i liked it. we, uh, we did, thread? we found a movie with "rise" in the title that doesn't suck.

seriously though, the andy sirkis planet of the apes movies are good

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Cease to Hope
Dec 12, 2011

Dash Rendar posted:

I've only seen the first two. They were decent! Was Rise the first one?

Rise is the first one. I think Dawn, the second one, is definitely the best of the three, but they're all definitely entertaining.

It feels like they'd be classics if they were 10 or 15 years younger. The mix of blockbuster visual imagination and heavy-but-not-particularly-challenging politics feels of a piece with 90s SF like Cameron; a decade and a half later it just feels somewhat derivative. However, their central appeal - Shakespeare-light that uses the uncanny valley effect for horror and questions of what "humanity" means - wouldn't have worked before about 2010.

I really do enjoy them and want more people to enjoy them, but also I think the somewhat muted reaction that they got was the correct one.