Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

distortion park
Apr 25, 2011

Gazpacho posted:

"best practices": same deal

like, I get the drive to avoid doing dumb things but guess what: your org also produces some poo poo, and it also stinks

there's a whole breed of devs who are world class experts on eslint configs and systems architecture but entirely unable to build a operationally same program

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Gazpacho
Jun 18, 2004

by Fluffdaddy
Slippery Tilde

pointsofdata posted:

there's a whole breed of devs who are world class experts on eslint configs and systems architecture but entirely unable to build a operationally same program
more about the previous employer: an outside vendor was leading the development while direct employees like myself twiddled their thumbs because higher-ups intentionally blocked the communication channels. The vendor had hundreds of developers using Spring Everything with layered microservices and strict code linting and named constants for all strings including individual punctuation and and and

The vendor's first version of the app crashed under single-digit user load and the followup version wasn't on track to be any better.

Gazpacho fucked around with this message at 19:42 on Feb 17, 2020

toiletbrush
May 17, 2010

'reason about'

'decorate'

not programming specific but 'reach out to'

Sham bam bamina!
Nov 6, 2012

ƨtupid cat
line

Bloody
Mar 3, 2013

scale

Gazpacho
Jun 18, 2004

by Fluffdaddy
Slippery Tilde
expert

psiox
Oct 15, 2001

Babylon 5 Street Team
here's one so basic it's easy to overlook

'coding'

yeah that's what some poor schmuck that has to translate medical records into a format that insurance companies can attach dollar amounts to does, it's more or less a 1:1 correspondence thing

gently caress i hate anyone asking me 'are you a coder??' like no i actually figure out how to solve problems (mostly) programmatically and then make it happen

rotor
Jun 11, 2001

classic case of pineapple derangement syndrome

psiox posted:

gently caress i hate anyone asking me 'are you a coder??'

same, but because i am deeply ashamed

Zlodo
Nov 25, 2006
once a neighbor came to me and asked me if i was a coder and i felt a bit ashamed and i told him "yeah, its that obvious huh" and he told me thats because he once saw me carrying computer gear back from the shop

then he asked me which language i use and i said c++ and he was disappointed and said "ah. im a java developer" and he never talked to me ever again

psiox
Oct 15, 2001

Babylon 5 Street Team
speaking as someone that only uses languages made for dummies, i'm always intimidated by people that do real poo poo

like gently caress a template, gently caress a boost, i'll be writing shell script to the best of my ability, but thank you for your service

rotor
Jun 11, 2001

memory janitoring is for chumps, it's 2020, we have machines to do that now. C programmers are basically the Amish.

theadder
Dec 30, 2011

Zlodo posted:

then he asked me which language i use and i said c++ and he was disappointed and said "ah. im a java developer" and he never talked to me ever again

all is well that ends well

Captain Foo
May 11, 2004

we vibin'
we slidin'
we breathin'
we dyin'

rotor posted:

memory janitoring is for chumps, it's 2020, we have machines to do that now. C programmers are basically the Amish.

still don't have a garbage collector that can work with your posts, so

ConanTheLibrarian
Aug 13, 2004

dis buch is late
Fallen Rib

rotor posted:

transpiler

bigot

rotor
Jun 11, 2001

Captain Foo posted:

the AUDACITY

Volmarias
Dec 31, 2002

EMAIL... THE INTERNET... SEARCH ENGINES...

Captain Foo posted:

Just in time :iceburn:s

Sham bam bamina!
Nov 6, 2012

ƨtupid cat
source

Sham bam bamina!
Nov 6, 2012

ƨtupid cat
version

Sham bam bamina!
Nov 6, 2012

ƨtupid cat
loop

echinopsis
Apr 13, 2004

by Fluffdaddy
“function”

Phobeste
Apr 9, 2006

never, like, count out Touchdown Tom, man
immutable

Volmarias
Dec 31, 2002

EMAIL... THE INTERNET... SEARCH ENGINES...
Scaleable

Fanged Lawn Wormy
Jan 4, 2008

SQUEAK! SQUEAK! SQUEAK!
craveable

psiox
Oct 15, 2001

Babylon 5 Street Team
lunchable

fart simpson
Jul 2, 2005

DEATH TO AMERICA
:xickos:

data

Asleep Style
Oct 20, 2010

manifesto

The Management
Jan 2, 2010

sup, bitch?
testing

carry on then
Jul 10, 2010

by VideoGames

(and can't post for 10 years!)

dig in

Sham bam bamina!
Nov 6, 2012

ƨtupid cat
boolean

Zlodo
Nov 25, 2006
code

unpacked robinhood
Feb 18, 2013

by Fluffdaddy
to grok

Glorgnole
Oct 23, 2012

leverage

psiox
Oct 15, 2001

Babylon 5 Street Team
the last place i worked, which was also one of the worst and most inept businesses i've ever been a part of, really liked this word:

'solutioning'

they would often use 'solution' as a verb and every time it underscored that they had no business doing anything with software

rotor
Jun 11, 2001

it's not a programming buzzword and I have failed to bring it into the mainstream but i hereby reproduce this anecdote from real life with zero exaggeration.

[sitting in a meeting, talking about the release]

VP: so how close are we to the original release plan
Product Manager 1: We're looking at about 70, 80% complete
VP: did [FEATURE] make it?
PM: [pauses] we talked to the stakeholders and decided that given the time frame that [FEATURE] was not happenable

It's great and I love it

rotor
Jun 11, 2001

me & gar both tried to bring it mainstream but it just hasn't caught on.

mystes
May 31, 2006

psiox posted:

the last place i worked, which was also one of the worst and most inept businesses i've ever been a part of, really liked this word:

'solutioning'

they would often use 'solution' as a verb and every time it underscored that they had no business doing anything with software
Solutioning should mean dissolving bodies in a pool of acid, in my opinion.

matti
Mar 31, 2019

beautiful

AtomD
May 3, 2009

Fun Shoe

rotor posted:

me & gar both tried to bring it mainstream but it just hasn't caught on.

lexical mainstreaming just wasn't happenable

AtomD
May 3, 2009

Fun Shoe
crunch

crunch is the sound of biting into a nice treat, not the sound of exchanging your will to live so burndown liney go down down clap clap

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

suffix
Jul 27, 2013

Wheeee!
mvp