Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

queeb
Jun 10, 2004

m

https://store.steampowered.com/app/424370/Wolcen_Lords_of_Mayhem/

Releases Tomorrow, Feb 13th at 12pm EST.

The price goes up from 30 to 45 dollars upon release.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=mreqjgIJVxA

Wolcen is an ARPG that seems to combine some elements from Diablo 3 and Path of Exile. Featuring a large rotating passive tree similar to PoE, and being able to start new characters directly into the endgame mode like Diablo 3, skipping the main 3 acts.

Also has Diablo 3's transmog system:

AND YOU CAN WEAR TWO DIFFERENT SHOULDERPADS, the endless possibilities

Patch notes for tomorrow:

https://steamcommunity.com/games/424370/announcements/detail/1718622688305803252

-Some highlights include:

Adding the female character.

You can now customize your character when you create it and choose between different hair dispositions, faces, and colors.

Adding Chapters 2 and 3!

Characters can now level up to 90.

Adding the endgame feature. It is only accessible once you finish the campaign. This is a distinct game mode called Champion of Stormfall and accessible from the character selection screen.

I played around with the beta a bit and it feels really good. The base dodge every character has is pretty nice, the bosses all seem to have good tells on their attacks so you can dodge. Definitely feels like it will be slower than PoE in the endgame, but that might change with all the new skills and 70 more levels.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

I said come in!
Jun 22, 2004

I have had the early access version for a couple years now. Never thought this would actually be finished, but looking forward to playing it tomorrow. Been wanting a new action RPG for awhile now.

Unlucky7
Jul 11, 2006

Fallen Rib
I have seen it on the steam charts but did not know it was coming out so soon. The user reviews seem pretty promising so I think I may give this a shot.

queeb
Jun 10, 2004

m

Apparently they were aiming for an open world kind of thing back when it first came into early access but have dropped that and are going more traditional arpg.

Papercut
Aug 24, 2005

The quickest substitution in the history of the NBA
I bought this on a whim today since I'm done with the current Poe league. I want to throw ghost hammers like the guy in the trailer.

I said come in!
Jun 22, 2004

Looking forward to wearing two different ghost hammers, and throwing shoulder pads.

El Cid
Mar 17, 2005

What good is power when you're too wise to use it?
Grimey Drawer
Oh, wow, I bought this a few days ago since it had been on my radar forever and assumed it was still going to be EA for quite a while longer. Didn't realize it was coming out so soon! Not sure how far into Chapter 1 I got before taking a break, but I really liked what I've played so far. They did a great job making melee feel fun right from the start with weapons having baked in cleave, and that automatic (with a cooldown) melee dash.

queeb
Jun 10, 2004

m

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-bA3RJGHtAk

some reviews coming out, seem pretty positive!

drat, i didnt know there was movement skills like that, maybe it wont be so slow getting around.

queeb fucked around with this message at 03:32 on Feb 13, 2020

exquisite tea
Apr 21, 2007

Carly shook her glass, willing the ice to melt. "You still haven't told me what the mission is."

She leaned forward. "We are going to assassinate the bad men of Hollywood."

I played this game a couple weeks ago in early access and liked what I saw, hoping they can deliver in the official release!

Lamech
Nov 20, 2001

Soiled Meat
welp, I saw a turret in that rhykker video, I'm sold, take my money

Bloodly
Nov 3, 2008

Not as strong as you'd expect.
What is the game like concerning allies? Summoned or otherwise?

Flavahbeast
Jul 21, 2001

It looks like player-to-player trading wasn't in Early Access, but will be in the game at launch. I'm curious to see how the economy pans out: I don't think it's a major focus for the devs so there will probably be dupes all over the place, at least early on

Someone already snagged wolcen.trade though

queeb
Jun 10, 2004

m

Bloodly posted:

What is the game like concerning allies? Summoned or otherwise?

Summoner skills are being added with release, they've shown 3 so far. They look really meh but didn't show off any of the 16 modifiers for each one, so maybe they get crazy. They'll also have a part of the tree dedicated to them I'm pretty sure. I may start with them cause I love summons in poe

Red Alert 2 Yuris Revenge
May 8, 2006

"My brain is amazing! It's full of wrinkles, and... Uh... Wait... What am I trying to say?"
i took a chance on this because i've been craving a diablo and it looks promising

sacred 2 let you be anubis megaman and i think it's a failing of the genre as a whole that this hasnt yet been topped

Infinity Gaia
Feb 27, 2011

a storm is coming...

Relax Or DIE posted:

i took a chance on this because i've been craving a diablo and it looks promising

sacred 2 let you be anubis megaman and i think it's a failing of the genre as a whole that this hasnt yet been topped

I wish Sacred 2 wasn't so ridiculously oversized because yeah anubis megaman was one of the best ARPG classes ever but that game got old waaaaaaay before the end.

Acht
Aug 13, 2012

WORLD'S BEST
E-DAD
Bought it yesterday and played offline a bit. Looks really good and promising.
I'll be playing through it with a buddy and the slower pace makes it look great for that.

Just really hope there is some endgame / regular updates, because PoE nailed the "can be played forever" and it is something I absolutely look for in ARPGs.

Tenacious J
Nov 20, 2002

I'm excited about this. Looks great, I hope it really takes off and keeps being developed.

Ra Ra Rasputin
Apr 2, 2011
I'll give the game a try since it keeps getting brought up in the POE thread.

From what I gather, it's the path of exile end-game with the diablo 3 inventory and cosmetic system with a mix of the d3 gold and gem economy along with path of exile's crafting orbs?
All wrapped up in a pretty package.

Vax
Dec 29, 2011

delicious!
Servers go online at 6pm CET / 5pm UTC. Excited to check it out later today.

Lugaloco
Jun 29, 2011

Ice to see you!

Excited for this since I could never get into PoE for a variety of reasons, and I've played Diablo 3 to death. Wolcen looks to be a good middle-ground between the two.

Avalerion
Oct 19, 2012

Since the skill tree seems to be passives and there’s no classes, do we know how you get your actual abilities?

Quill
Jan 19, 2004

Avalerion posted:

Since the skill tree seems to be passives and there’s no classes, do we know how you get your actual abilities?

I think you unlock abilities with special item drops.

Also, decided to buy this after I read through some long threads. The development has been very hush hush, but seems to be in good hands.

Acht
Aug 13, 2012

WORLD'S BEST
E-DAD

Avalerion posted:

From what I gathered yesterday, you start with one of 3 picks:
-Melee
-Ranged
-Spells

This gives you a basic attack and one special attack.

Playing, you will find what I will describe as skill gems, much like PoE. There is also a vendor that seems to sell them, but I didn't really check.
From what I saw, the abilities are linked to your weapon choice.

madstrike
Jun 10, 2013

Like i mentioned on the POE thread, if you're interested in this, it's 15 dollars/euros cheaper if you buy it before the release in 6h.

exquisite tea
Apr 21, 2007

Carly shook her glass, willing the ice to melt. "You still haven't told me what the mission is."

She leaned forward. "We are going to assassinate the bad men of Hollywood."

Avalerion posted:

You get abilities as item drops that level with you. Each skill has a number of different runes that you can assign to change the nature of the spell ala Diablo 3.

Zereth
Jul 9, 2003

Acht posted:

Playing, you will find what I will describe as skill gems, much like PoE. There is also a vendor that seems to sell them, but I didn't really check.
From what I saw, the abilities are linked to your weapon choice.
You eat them and they get permanently added to your "Spellbook" sort of thing, and then you can equip them. Most of them seem to be restricted to melee, staff/catalyst, or ranged. Catalysts are one-handed so you can equip a melee or a pistol and do ranged and spells, and there are some skills which are "ranged but also daggers".

The gems are more like Diablo gems where you socket them and get some stat bonuses.

EDIT: doing melee/ranged AND spells seems like it might let you spam abilities more since your "MP" bar is actually two attached bars, and using Willpower turns it into Rage and vice-versa instead of just consuming it? I only poked at a bow guy a bit when I bought the game on a whim the other day so I might be wrong on this

Zereth fucked around with this message at 13:21 on Feb 13, 2020

Pharnakes
Aug 14, 2009
According to the ryker video, yes. I'm quite interested in that, hybrid approaches are always thematically cool but almost always suck in practice, but if you can fire off skills at essentially twice the rate that's a pretty big deal, probably.

tithin
Nov 14, 2003

[Grandmaster Tactician]

Was watching the trailer thinking the animations were gorgeous, then I saw they'd implemented Kratos's Blades of Chaos as a weapon.

euphronius
Feb 18, 2009

Not seeing any Amazing new features which would motivate me to try this. Maybe there is a whirlwind ability tho.

Vax
Dec 29, 2011

delicious!

euphronius posted:

Maybe there is a whirlwind ability tho.

There is! :doit:

Zereth
Jul 9, 2003

Pharnakes posted:

According to the ryker video, yes. I'm quite interested in that, hybrid approaches are always thematically cool but almost always suck in practice, but if you can fire off skills at essentially twice the rate that's a pretty big deal, probably.
Possibly more than twice the rate, since you need to convert Willpower into Rage with basic weapon attacks, or wait for it to convert back to Willpower for spells. I saw a passive tree node to give your attacks bonus damage of the element of the last spell you cast for something like 30 seconds, too, so there's skill tree support for it.

You can also respec your stats and skill tree entirely with gold and some kind of currency I never saw any of so you can completely pivot to something else on a character later if it's not working out.

EDIT: one-handed weapons are weaker, though, so your weapon-based attacks would be weaker than if you were going fully in on them. (Or sacrificing the defense of a shield, I suppose.) We'll have to see how it shakes out long-term.

Mordja
Apr 26, 2014

Hell Gem
The game also seems to use items and skill modifiers that play around with that system. For example there's uniques that let you use skills you wouldn't normally be able to in its weapon class, and I know one mod lets you change its resource consumption to stamina, which is used for rolling. Am I wrong, or are you able to activate multiple mods on a single skill? Dunno if it will really matter that much, but different weapon types all have different combo strings, which is fun to look at if nothing else.

Zereth
Jul 9, 2003

Anybody know how dual-wielding works? When (or if) would it be better to use dual pistols over 1 bow, say?

TyrantWD
Nov 6, 2010
Ignore my doomerism, I don't think better things are possible
I am interested in Wolcen now that PoE is entering the final month of the league and I've played all the builds I want to play, but I am concerned about the endgame, so I may wait until streamers reach that point and figure out whether I should refund the game or dive in. I am not expecting something as deep as PoE (which is about as impossible as an MMO releasing with as much content as WoW), but if it can hit a good midpoint between D3 and PoE, I'd be happy.

The game is still 29.99, so I guess the price increase will come at 12 EST when the servers flip on.

queeb
Jun 10, 2004

m

Mordja posted:

The game also seems to use items and skill modifiers that play around with that system. For example there's uniques that let you use skills you wouldn't normally be able to in its weapon class, and I know one mod lets you change its resource consumption to stamina, which is used for rolling. Am I wrong, or are you able to activate multiple mods on a single skill? Dunno if it will really matter that much, but different weapon types all have different combo strings, which is fun to look at if nothing else.

yeah there's 16 mods per skill, and each one is 1-3 points to use. you have 10 total so you can mix and match that way.

Avalerion
Oct 19, 2012

TyrantWD posted:

The game is still 29.99, so I guess the price increase will come at 12 EST when the servers flip on.

Oh f it’s gonna go up? I’m stuck at work, how long from now is 12est. :ohdear:

queeb
Jun 10, 2004

m

Avalerion posted:

Oh f it’s gonna go up? I’m stuck at work, how long from now is 12est. :ohdear:

2 hours and 45 mins!

Agent355
Jul 26, 2011

The game seems like it could be quite fun but it's hard to tell since the current build is basically just a tiny demo compared to the full release, but I've been waiting for this one for awhile so let's hope for the best.

euphronius
Feb 18, 2009

Rhykker will have more “sponsored” videos today

And I guess people with be streaming it . I’m going to wait a bit I think as it looks a bit too derivative to be worthwhile imho

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Mordja
Apr 26, 2014

Hell Gem
Heads up to any EA volks.