Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

YerDa Zabam
Aug 13, 2016

I was enjoying this (again) until it crashed to desktop, then when I restated, it wouldn't trigger the dialogue to let me past.
No loving way am I replaying that same poo poo again, I'm out

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Noper Q
Nov 7, 2012
Good news: If you can get through the story (which goes quick as long as you rush objectives and ignore the side areas), there's a hunt in every expedition. So you actually get to engage with the new mechanic more than once an hour!
Bad news: Two out of the three hunts I tried ended prematurely when the glowing trail failed to spawn. And the second time I scoured the area for the next clue-waypoint-thing and it wasn't anywhere to be found.
Back to waiting for basic functionality to be added in the next patch.

Hauki
May 11, 2010

decided to give this a shot again since it's snowing sideways here and lmao, i'm glad to see nothing's changed

let's see, 5 minutes in - the music is blaring & drowning out the admittedly abysmal dialogue and seems unresponsive to any game menu changes
my newer gpu is running full bore even just sitting alt-tabbed at the main menu (weirdly, the game seems to use less resources when I'm actually playing it)
some of the cutscenes are seemingly unskippable, despite following the game's instruction of holding down space to skip
Even in offline play, you apparently have to start a new character to play any of the new content they've added since release
I get a popup as soon as I spawn in, and I'm immediately surrounded & attacked by a dozen monsters while the tutorial popup is still full screen, I was down to like 1/3rd HP in the time it took to hit esc.
I currently have about 18 models of Valeria teleporting around or running across my screen randomly & constantly as I wander through the intro section

e: also really digging all the models still woodenly moonwalking into place during cinematics

Hauki fucked around with this message at 19:58 on Mar 14, 2021

Elentor
Dec 14, 2004

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

Hauki posted:

Even in offline play, you apparently have to start a new character to play any of the new content they've added since release

Wait, really?

Quill
Jan 19, 2004

Elentor posted:

Wait, really?

Oh yeah. Big brain moves!

Noper Q
Nov 7, 2012
I think they wanted it to be like a Path of Exile league, but with a tenth the content and no real player economy, so it didn't exactly make a splash.

Elentor
Dec 14, 2004

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

Hauki posted:

I currently have about 18 models of Valeria teleporting around or running across my screen randomly & constantly as I wander through the intro section

e: also really digging all the models still woodenly moonwalking into place during cinematics

Well, you know what they say,

headspace posted:

No bugs for me either really. These releases tend to bring out the Karen in a lot of spergnerds.

Hauki
May 11, 2010

lol

Looking back at Steam, apparently I've owned this dumb game since 2018 and I guess this might be rose-colored glasses, but it feels like the game's gotten buggier over time

oh cool, also I made the mistake of saving & quitting earlier which seemingly erased my quest progress and any waypoints acquired since the intro. At least I still have my skills & items, I guess?

e: this is an online character currently, since everything else I'm finding about game progress not saving is related to offline characters.

Hauki fucked around with this message at 22:27 on Mar 14, 2021

Zereth
Jul 9, 2003

Hauki posted:

lol

Looking back at Steam, apparently I've owned this dumb game since 2018 and I guess this might be rose-colored glasses, but it feels like the game's gotten buggier over time
I got it like, a week before early access ended and was like "sure, this seems fine, has potential" on two hours and then when it came out of early access, suddenly it takes like five clicks before picking up an item off the ground registers and similar poo poo happening in the inventory, etc. I don't think it's just you.

avoraciopoctules
Oct 22, 2012

What is this kid's DEAL?!

I am just getting into Wolcen now, since the initial buggy release seemed like a pretty good incentive to wait a year or two. So far, the story has been amusing, the graphics and foley work have generated some nice spectacle, but the game still feels kinda janky overall.

Is Toughness still the main stat you should be buying? From what I hear, the other 3 stats offer diminishing returns and the first real boss wiped me out rapidly in melee with a more offensive statline.

I hear that summons are generally weak in the endgame, with the exception of using Parasite to control specific enemies like Tormenters. Can you at least progress through the story with a summon-focused character?

Let's see, any other questions... it looks like all spells come from items, and you trade in the spell crystals you don't want for spell upgrade currency. Will I fall behind if I try to learn every new skill instead of hyper-specializing one? Thanks!

Noper Q
Nov 7, 2012
I can't answer the others, but as for the last question: the amount of juice you get from trading in skills increases with your level, so learning skills early is marginally better than later. But regardless, endgame grinding will get you more of that currency than trading the skills will ever do. Also, feeding that juice to skills instead of using it for unlocks in the endgame is pretty inefficient. That function really only exists if you switch to a new skill later and want to catch it up quickly.

All that to say, learn all the skills you want, and only bother juicing skills if you're near a new breakpoint and you just can't wait. Otherwise, leveling your skills from killing monsters will give you plenty of power. And don't be afraid to try new things. New skills will catch up quickly, and being a level or two behind won't make that much of a difference.

avoraciopoctules
Oct 22, 2012

What is this kid's DEAL?!

Thanks, that's very helpful. I'm glad the game won't punish me for trying a bunch of weird combos early on.

chird
Sep 26, 2004

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=acz_9Iptgjs

Wolcen: Lords of Mayhem will be released on PlayStation 5, Xbox Series X|S, PlayStation 4, and Xbox One on March 15, 2023.

This version of the game will be the final complete edition and will include “Endgame” - the fourth act of the Wolcen story, providing players with a definitive conclusion to the epic adventure that originally began on PC.

Owners of the PC version of Wolcen: Lords of Mayhem will also get Act 4 as a free download on the same date as the console players.

75% off on Steam running up till the launch.

chird fucked around with this message at 08:15 on Mar 7, 2023

FastestGunAlive
Apr 7, 2010

Dancing palm tree.
Poor console bastards. I wouldn’t wish this on them.

kirbysuperstar
Nov 11, 2012

Let the fools who stand before us be destroyed by the power you and I possess.
Props to them for sticking with it

I uh..assume it's not any better really. I'll give it another go when that hits I guess.

Quill
Jan 19, 2004
It's not a bad game, it just doesn't bring anything new or exciting to the table.

The rough launch didn't help either. Developers are dedicated though and still putting the work in.

Zereth
Jul 9, 2003

Did they ever fix poo poo like you being able to fall through the floor because there's gravity on the player for some reason? And poor collision detection but this is not the kind of game where you need gravity to work on anything other than physics objects/ragdolls.

queef anxiety
Mar 4, 2009

yeah
'wolcels' still makes me laugh

chird
Sep 26, 2004

Patch notes: https://store.steampowered.com/news/app/424370/view/3689049624611339225

Lot of stuff, I'm definitely curious. But I don't think I can fit another set of arpg mechanics in my brain what with all the current releases, I'm not an arpglot.

Quill
Jan 19, 2004
I'm dipping my toes in, just to see what's what.

It's been a good long while since my last playthrough with a buddy and we had fun, despite the flaws.

Making a totally different build should keep up the interest for a while at least.

FastestGunAlive
Apr 7, 2010

Dancing palm tree.
Can’t believe the best game just got better. I’m wolpilled

jokes
Dec 20, 2012

Uh... Kupo?

Honestly I enjoyed it at launch. Maybe I should play it again, I never engaged with the endgame and I do enjoy a roguelike mode.

Noper Q
Nov 7, 2012
I'm nowhere near done with Last Epoch's latest patch, but I'll at least give this a try eventually. I'm not a fan of how much nerfing they did in the passive tree, considering the numbers there already felt low-impact.

Benson Cunningham
Dec 9, 2006

Chief of J.U.N.K.E.R. H.Q.
Hey this game isn't bad. Honestly had a lot more fun playing it over the last two days than I did playing the diablo 4 beta. There's rough edges to be sure, but I think the framework is strong and the end game system is really cool.

Made it to level 68, and am clearing level 100+ missions at the moment. I wish the end game was denser, even if it was just more city building with crazier and crazier options and systems to invest in. I love the significant variance in mission length and type. I love the passive income generation you get from some of the projects alongside missions.

More skills, more city options, more league mechanics, and more special end game fights and I could see myself playing this game a lot.

Zereth
Jul 9, 2003

I decided to give this another shot and uh, there's inventory corruption bugs. That's... great. I sure love it when my mainhand weapon disappears along with some other gear, but not in a way where just replacing it is the solution because there's a bunch of dead spots in my inventory now and it behaves Oddly when I try to move things around. Character might just be hosed permanently.

EDIT: I'm seeing reports of this or similar bugs dating back to 2017. Wow.

EDIT: okay I thought to try quitting the game entirely after getting to somewhere it didn't play the act 2 cutscene (where this happened) when I logged back in, and then my stuff turned up. :shepface:

Zereth fucked around with this message at 08:06 on Mar 27, 2023

kirbysuperstar
Nov 11, 2012

Let the fools who stand before us be destroyed by the power you and I possess.
Currently my pet peeve bug is "I selected the Sydney server but it keeps throwing me into Canada and even the most basic of things is reliant on RTT from the server"

Zereth
Jul 9, 2003

kirbysuperstar posted:

Currently my pet peeve bug is "I selected the Sydney server but it keeps throwing me into Canada and even the most basic of things is reliant on RTT from the server"
Oh yeah I'm also getting that but at least it's in the US, if not the specific state I'm in and selected.

Dallan Invictus
Oct 11, 2007

The thing about words is that meanings can twist just like a snake, and if you want to find snakes, look for them behind words that have changed their meaning.
Is there even a point to playing in online mode? I have an old character offline sitting around (never even finished the campaign first time around) and i'm tempted to pick the game back up with the new update (there were absolutely things Wolcen has always done well and maybe they fixed the things they did badly?) but what is online even for that might be worth a reroll?

Trade? Co-op? Global chat? :laffo:

Chernobyl Peace Prize
May 7, 2007

Or later, later's fine.
But now would be good.

Dallan Invictus posted:

Is there even a point to playing in online mode? I have an old character offline sitting around (never even finished the campaign first time around) and i'm tempted to pick the game back up with the new update (there were absolutely things Wolcen has always done well and maybe they fixed the things they did badly?) but what is online even for that might be worth a reroll?

Trade? Co-op? Global chat? :laffo:

In my experience online mode is if you want to play on 100+ ping and gain nothing in the bargain.

Bussamove
Feb 25, 2006

Y’all are really making a solid case for coming back to this, let me tell ya.

Vakal
May 11, 2008

Bussamove posted:

Y’all are really making a solid case for coming back to this, let me tell ya.

Yeah, I never made it past Wolcen's early game the last time I tried, but maybe it's worth another shot.

Quill
Jan 19, 2004
I've been having a pretty good time with a new online character, playing solo and co-op on the European servers. Latency is usually around 50ms. Occasionally there's a bug where some of the tags for dropped loot go out of alignment and I have to fish for them, but that's rarely an issue since I don't tend to pick up literally everything anyways.

Then again, it's obvious that the game is still very rough around the edges. I have no doubt that a lot of people are having a hundred different kinds of serious issues, both online and off. Getting the game is a gamble, but at least it's not an expensive one. Although I guess you could get Last Epoch for three times the price, or invest in the Blizzard breast milk fund with Diablo 4 for seven times the price.

Zereth
Jul 9, 2003

Vakal posted:

Yeah, I never made it past Wolcen's early game the last time I tried, but maybe it's worth another shot.
They rebalanced things, for sure, last time I played I was dual-wielding a pistol and spell catalyst and I was using gun skills and using a magic skill to turn willpower back into rage, but this time around I was planning to do that but ended up all spells with one gun skill because the magic was hitting like a truck.

My current recommendation is to not buy it, but if you already have it maybe give it another shot if you're not busy with something else.

Heithinn Grasida
Mar 28, 2005

...must attack and fall upon them with a gallant bearing and a fearless heart, and, if possible, vanquish and destroy them, even though they have for armour the shells of a certain fish, that they say are harder than diamonds, and in place of swords wield trenchant blades of Damascus steel...

I didn’t follow the previous poster’s sage advice and just bought this game to take a short break from last epoch until the next patch later this month. Aside from letting me know I’ve made a terrible mistake, is there anything else a new player should know about mechanics or how to make a good character?

Chernobyl Peace Prize
May 7, 2007

Or later, later's fine.
But now would be good.

Heithinn Grasida posted:

I didn’t follow the previous poster’s sage advice and just bought this game to take a short break from last epoch until the next patch later this month. Aside from letting me know I’ve made a terrible mistake, is there anything else a new player should know about mechanics or how to make a good character?
The part of the UI that lets you spin the skill tree/wheel around to line up sections better than the default, looks like a detail on the UI on the left-hand side and not a clickable set of arrows. But they are clickable, and important.

Heithinn Grasida
Mar 28, 2005

...must attack and fall upon them with a gallant bearing and a fearless heart, and, if possible, vanquish and destroy them, even though they have for armour the shells of a certain fish, that they say are harder than diamonds, and in place of swords wield trenchant blades of Damascus steel...

Chernobyl Peace Prize posted:

The part of the UI that lets you spin the skill tree/wheel around to line up sections better than the default, looks like a detail on the UI on the left-hand side and not a clickable set of arrows. But they are clickable, and important.

Holy poo poo I was looking at that and thinking it the sections should spin, but I didn’t notice those at all.

Are there any traps on the passive screen? Like are those bonuses additive with effects from gear, so the 50% damage capstones or whatever end up only actually giving 2% extra damage?

Vakal
May 11, 2008

Zereth posted:

They rebalanced things, for sure, last time I played I was dual-wielding a pistol and spell catalyst and I was using gun skills and using a magic skill to turn willpower back into rage, but this time around I was planning to do that but ended up all spells with one gun skill because the magic was hitting like a truck.

My current recommendation is to not buy it, but if you already have it maybe give it another shot if you're not busy with something else.

So I eventually did play through the whole game and I actually enjoyed it.

Most of the skills are clunky to use and imbalanced as all gently caress, but I grew to like the characters. The VA's for Heimlich and the female player character are great and some sections like The Lambach chapter are legitimately disturbing quite charming and really should have been the focus of the entire game.

Heithinn Grasida
Mar 28, 2005

Is there some kind of official guide or mechanics explanation somewhere so I can figure out how things work? Or do I just get to fumble around and expect that balance doesn’t exist and nothing matters anyway.

Noper Q
Nov 7, 2012
As far as I know, the latter, though the devs have gotten better at balancing. I haven't found or heard about any skills that have 10 times the intended damage recently.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Heithinn Grasida
Mar 28, 2005

So far the basic ideas behind the systems in this game seem really good. I love being able to alternate between rage and willpower, being able to spam dodge, and being able to seamlessly dash in and out of melee. It’s the first arpg (and one of the few rpgs in general) I’ve played that, at least on the surface, makes a hybrid build feel really supported and rewards the player for fighting at mixed range. I’m sure everything will fall apart in spectacular fashion eventually, but my first impression is quite good.

Is there any way for me to replace normal attack from my left click? Dagger/catalyst seems like the play style of my dreams, but normal attack does very little when I have lots of stamina and my rage skill gap closes to boot.

Also, I really wish there were good documentation available. Do ailments crit? How much damage do ailments do anyway? How do resistances work? How does crit chance work? How does dodge chance work? Which bonuses are additive and which are multiplicative? Etc. etc.

Heithinn Grasida fucked around with this message at 14:52 on May 12, 2023