Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Nebakenezzer
Sep 13, 2005

The Mote in God's Eye

or tried to play, but just couldn't get into.

I've never played Final Fantasy VII.

I checked out of consoles around the end of the SNES. PC gaming was much more compelling for me, so I never looked back. I discovered the joys of JRPGs late, renting the Secret of Mana a few times, and later playing through FF6 on a emulator. I'd several friends who loved their JRPGs; most were trying to get me to try FF4, FF5, or Chrono Trigger.

One particular friend at the time told me about FF7, and to me it sounded like the SNES games, with uglier graphics. This friend told me about the knights of the round, which is...an attack or something. Maybe like an esper? It has a very long animation but is basically the "you win" attack. Actually, he was both an intense nerd enough to hint at stuff while refusing to reveal the secrets of FF7 because spoilers, so the whole thing came off as very fragmentary.

My brush with trying FFVII came in 1998. This same friend bought the PC port of FF7. We both had another friend, a very smart computer science guy who was especially talented at getting games running in Win 98. That sounds weird, so let me explain: windows and DOS in that time often didn't play nice with each other. DOS games required manual configuring, Microsoft gave zero shits about backwards compatibility, and games in the Win95 era were these Frankenstein monsters of DOS and Windows grinding against each other. The new world of graphics cards added extra complexity, as did sound cards. We've arrived at a pretty nice standardization now in PCs, but back then, it could be nightmarish.

So this friend was really good in this space. And after trying all weekend to get this PC FFVII to run, he admitted defeat. The port was catastrophically lovely: it was the first time I encountered a game that flat out wouldn't run out of the box.

So I forgot about it. I heard about later final fantasies: your girlfriend is a ghost, or your imagination, or something. There is this blonde korean pop star and he plays underwater soccer. Cid still appears, THAT IS A TRADITION.

But gently caress me, people do go on about 7. This, from memory, is everything I know about it secondhand.

The main character is cloud strife, that's the dude with the spikey hair and the big sword. The plot has a cyberpunk setting, in the usual "planet that if you think about it is really disappointingly small." There's a big dude with a chaingun hand, a dog, and two female party members, Tifa and.......the other one. The antagonist is Sepheroth, and....................aside from looking anime, I've no idea. He is bad, though, and to listen to some nerds talk he's just this side of a shakesphere character in pathos. I'm guessing the good guys are rag-tag resistance fighters, and there's a evil..........well, if it is cyberpunk it'd be a sinister corporation, but I have this feeling it's more like the empire from Star Wars.

The most famous moment is when one of the characters dies, she (either tifa or "the other one") is killed by some plot monster, and you fight this plot monster while the character's theme music just loops, making it feel like a mistake or a glitch, so clever staging. What happens after that I don't know, though evidently it is not great, as the world is destroyed, with the only party member surviving being the dog.

Apparently for a menu combat system, the combat is pretty good if you can stand the unskippable animations.

My only real index for all this is FF6, and I think I get why FF7 inspires such passion in people. FF6 I still think is brilliant. It's a game that aspires to literally opera levels of drama with these tiny sprites and "human voice" midi. The plot is basically "what if we made a game where we do our normal thing, and at the 'end', the good guys lose. How would the characters deal with that?" Kefka starts off a clown, with a 8 bit laugh and that hilarious theme music, but as the plot unfolds, somehow the designated comic relief commits awful crimes, betrays and murders the heavies, and by the end of the game has become this avatar of hopelessness and nihilism. Meanwhile, the PCs have had to face despair and hopelessness, and find reasons to go on living. Yeah, the plot really losses steam in the world of ruin, but it is one of those things you have to respect the game of, even if every swing didn't connect. There's lots of lame, hokey dialog -- but there are also all sorts of really memorable character moments, running from the sad (I'm thinking of a certain sprite suicide attempt), the tense (waiting for Shadow), the really weird and funny ("I owe you one from before so I'm gonna jam up your Opera!") to soapy melodrama (ugh, so much emoting and moping, you clods. Did you notice how the dude who tragically lost his wife and son got himself a new girlfriend?!?)

So if FF7 has that same really genuine ambition for surprisingly big story and themes, the many, many hilarious or otherwise memorable character moments, then, yeah, I think I get why it's such a big thing for people.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Nebakenezzer
Sep 13, 2005

The Mote in God's Eye

PS> I refuse to play the FF7 remake until Tifa gets her original tits back

roomforthetuna
Mar 22, 2005

I don't need to know anything about virii! My CUSTOM PROGRAM keeps me protected! It's not like they'll try to come in through the Internet or something!
I hadn't played any Mega Man game until last week I got Mega Man 11. It's alright. I bet the earlier ones were much harder (I played on "normal" difficulty.)

Technowrite
Jan 18, 2006

I first battled the Metroids on Planet Zebes.
I have never picked up any of the Sierra Online stuff or any of the Lucasfilm SCUMM PC games. I have no desire to play them.

...!
Oct 5, 2003

I SHOULD KEEP MY DUMB MOUTH SHUT INSTEAD OF SPEWING HORSESHIT ABOUT THE ORBITAL MECHANICS OF THE JAMES WEBB SPACE TELESCOPE.

CAN SOMEONE PLEASE TELL ME WHAT A LAGRANGE POINT IS?
Yeah, FF7 is a great game (and I'm really looking forward to the remake) but it can't compare to 6, which is easily one of the best games of all time. One reason that 7 is a lot of people's favorite is the fact that it was their first FF game. But if they could be convinced to play 6...

Kefka is one of the few truly great video game villains. Even Luca Blight can't compare. He also ends up being one of the most competent, given that he actually succeeds in his goals of destroying the world and gaining godlike power. Then he uses his new power to torment the few surviving people of the world just because he enjoys killing people and causing chaos.

The entire second half of the game is so bleak and depressing. It's a full year since Kefka ascended to godhood. Pretty much the entire planet is a scorched ruin. Even the continents were changed. The survivors are struggling just to live day to day, and many kill themselves out of despair. Kefka demands that they literally worship him. He sends out random bolts of doom to kill innocent people whenever he gets bored. Even your party has given up out of futility. They disbanded and just started trying to survive.

When you finally convince your party members to join up again to try to topple him, they know that doing so won't fix things; they're just trying to stop him from making things even worse. After you eventually do kill him, the planet does finally recover... generations later.

7's storyline just can't compare to that. It's pretty rare for a game developer to have the balls to pull something like that off.

Edit: And I can still hear Dancing Mad (the song during the final battle) running through my head. The first time I heard it, I was shocked that they managed to get something that good out of the SNES. The entire soundtrack is fantastic but Dancing Mad is pure genius. That game's composer is a legend. I highly recommend grabbing the FF6 soundtrack from iTunes.

...! fucked around with this message at 22:48 on Feb 13, 2020

Shinjobi
Jul 10, 2008

Gravy Boat 2k
I've never bothered with any of the "____ of Mana" games.

I have never held any desire, neither in its heyday nor now, to play any Diablo game.

:shrug:

Hatsune Mike
Oct 9, 2013

Final Fantasy *
Metal Gear Solid *

DEEP STATE PLOT
Aug 13, 2008

Yes...Ha ha ha...YES!

the megaman and castlevania series have both escaped me thus far

i've been saying i'll get around to them someday for the last 15 years

Nebakenezzer
Sep 13, 2005

The Mote in God's Eye

Technowrite posted:

I have never picked up any of the Sierra Online stuff or any of the Lucasfilm SCUMM PC games. I have no desire to play them.

I'm curious: have you played any adventure game?

Because if you have, you're not missing anything from the Sierra games. This is one place where youtube can really give you the full experience. King's Quest IV is a gold standard as to arbitrarily cruel design choices along with Return to Zork.

owl_pellet
Nov 20, 2005

show your enemy
what you look like

I'm glad that I've been able to at least try most games I've ever been interested in, either in their original form or through re-releases. The one that stands out for me though is God Hand from the PS2. I hope they do a re-release at some point.

StupidSexyMothman
Aug 9, 2010

I've never played a Metroid.

magikid
Nov 4, 2006
Wielder of the Soup Spoon

Shinjobi posted:

I've never bothered with any of the "____ of Mana" games.

:shrug:

I've tried to start playing Secret of Mana a few times and I just don't see the appeal at all. It feels like an action-RPG without the action. I hate the arbitrary waiting around between sword swings, enemies using full-screen magic that pauses the game and is unavoidable, and even the main character design with that stupid headgear. I guess I'd feel differently if I played it during its time, though.

Barudak
May 7, 2007

Like 90% of the Spectrum/C64/Eurogames classics because as funny as Sensible Soccer is to say these games dont seem very interesting and the ones I have played are just too ancient to feel good still

oldskool posted:

Its probably for the best

Scalding Coffee
Jun 26, 2006

You're already dead

magikid posted:

I've tried to start playing Secret of Mana a few times and I just don't see the appeal at all. It feels like an action-RPG without the action. I hate the arbitrary waiting around between sword swings, enemies using full-screen magic that pauses the game and is unavoidable, and even the main character design with that stupid headgear. I guess I'd feel differently if I played it during its time, though.
Secret of Evermore is a little better/faster and you don't have to keep switching weapons around to knock over a thick bush or cross a gap. Your dog isn't tethered to you so you have to keep him on the screen with you.

Nebakenezzer
Sep 13, 2005

The Mote in God's Eye

oldskool posted:

Pro post/AV combo

Freakazoid_
Jul 5, 2013

Buglord
none of the Command & Conquer games

none of the Quake games

didn't play Elder Scrolls Arena, Daggerfall or Morrowind

didn't play Fallout 1 or 2

didn't play bladur's gate 2, icewind dale or planescape: torment (but did play bg1 for the first time a couple years ago)

Lawman 0
Aug 17, 2010

Freakazoid_ posted:

none of the Command & Conquer games

none of the Quake games

didn't play Elder Scrolls Arena, Daggerfall or Morrowind

didn't play Fallout 1 or 2

didn't play bladur's gate 2, icewind dale or planescape: torment (but did play bg1 for the first time a couple years ago)

You can check out arena, daggerfall and quake 2 for free rn

evilmiera
Dec 14, 2009

The Ultima games. Any of them. I have tried multiple times to play a bunch of them and never get past the first 15 minutes, usually because of general confusion.

AngryRobotsInc
Aug 2, 2011

Metal Gear, any of them, besides like....ten minutes of the NES game.

McGurk
Oct 20, 2004

Cuz life sucks, kids. Get it while you can.

So many series I haven't even touched...

any Fallout besides 10 minutes of the first one
Persona
Thief series
Megaman
Deus Ex
Dragon Quest
Monster Hunter (I can't keep this and DQ straight in my head)

mind the walrus
Sep 22, 2006

evilmiera posted:

The Ultima games. Any of them. I have tried multiple times to play a bunch of them and never get past the first 15 minutes, usually because of general confusion.
:same:

The primitive sound is also like a spike in my ear, although I'm sure there's a way around that.

YeahTubaMike
Mar 24, 2005

*hic* Gotta finish thish . . .
Doctor Rope
My mom severely limited my access to video games when I was growing up. I got a grey brick Game Boy with Tetris for one Christmas, and a lime-green Game Boy Color with Pokemon Gold for another, and that was it. As a result, there are a lot of classics out there that I never played.

Probably the classic-est game/s I've never played is the Final Fantasy series.

Freakazoid_
Jul 5, 2013

Buglord
I probably missed a lot of good pc games over most of my childhood because my parents couldn't afford something so expensive until about 1997. At best I had a couple hand-me-downs that were years out of date when we got them. Whatever I did pick up on were either console ports or from a relative's/friend's pc.

...!
Oct 5, 2003

I SHOULD KEEP MY DUMB MOUTH SHUT INSTEAD OF SPEWING HORSESHIT ABOUT THE ORBITAL MECHANICS OF THE JAMES WEBB SPACE TELESCOPE.

owl_pellet posted:

I'm glad that I've been able to at least try most games I've ever been interested in, either in their original form or through re-releases. The one that stands out for me though is God Hand from the PS2. I hope they do a re-release at some point.

They rereleased God Hand on PS3 a few years ago.

rockinricky
Mar 27, 2003
I never played M.U.L.E. or The Oregon Trail. Those didn't exist when I was in school.

We played this on TRS-80s

...!
Oct 5, 2003

Ah yes, I owned TRS-80 Star Trek. :allears:

Nebakenezzer
Sep 13, 2005

The Mote in God's Eye

evilmiera posted:

Ohhhh, this

Like two decades ago when those insane fans reverse engineered Ultima....7? I tried to play it and gave up within half an hour several times

I've never played any of Castlevania but watched a friend play symphony of the night once and get why people love it

luke_diddy86
Feb 27, 2020
A few come to mind: Metroid for NES or Super Metroid for SNES. I didn't own them as a kid so I never had a chance to play them. Until I had picked up Super Castlevania IV last year for a good price I had never played any Castlevania game. More recently I've tried to really play Skyrim but it's a frustrating experience. I constantly die in-game trying to travel to my next destination on the map, and getting to my next destination feels like it takes literally forever (if I've never visited there before, which early on is most places).

Cockashocka
Sep 13, 2013

Bubble brother

I never touched Final Fantasy 8 or 9

Rockman Reserve
Oct 2, 2007

"Carbons? Purge? What are you talking about?!"

Cockashocka posted:

I never touched Final Fantasy 8 or 9

Due to well-meaning but completely overbearing parents I never touched any of the Final Fantasy games until I was in college. They were nowhere near as Satanic as advertised.

owl_pellet
Nov 20, 2005

show your enemy
what you look like

...! posted:

They rereleased God Hand on PS3 a few years ago.

Unfortunately I don't have A PS3 and you can't play the digital PS3 games from the PS store on a PS4.

Peanut Butler
Jul 25, 2003

pokemon

...!
Oct 5, 2003

owl_pellet posted:

Unfortunately I don't have A PS3 and you can't play the digital PS3 games from the PS store on a PS4.

Just buy a PS3 ;)

Mantis42
Jul 26, 2010

Never played a Blizzard game.

Rollersnake
May 9, 2005

Please, please don't let me end up in a threesome with the lunch lady and a gay pirate. That would hit a little too close to home.
Unlockable Ben
I've never been able to get into an Ultima game except for the NES versions of 3 and 4, both of which I love, though. NES Ultima 3 was my first RPG.

Oh, and I've never played Doom.

I don't think I've ever played Contra 3 or Hard Corps, and actually hadn't played a Contra game at all until I got into emulation, despite growing up with a NES, and most if not all of my friends having a NES too. I'm still not sure how that managed to happen.

ZogrimAteMyHamster
Dec 8, 2015

I've never got into anything to do with Final Fantasy, with the exception of (you guessed it!) Babby's First JRPG Mystic Quest, and I'm not entirely sure how or why that happened as I can't say I found it particularly enthralling or exciting back then*. Maybe I wanted to see how many times they'd recycle/recolour enemy sprites or something, I can't remember. All I know is I eventually finished it and felt unrewarded.

I have several friends who insist on telling me how great each and every game in the series is and I just don't get it. At all. I've watched some of them them play a few entries. Well, I say "watched", but if this was on a physical console back in the day my mind would wander before the first hour was up and I'd just start asking stupid questions until we played something else. Later on, where possible, I'd inevitably end up leaving it on in a small window in the background over emulator netplay so I could look aside every now and then to catch up while I hosed about making Doom maps. I've attempted to play a few myself, but all I ever get out of it is the feeling that I could be playing a game that's actually fun, instead of wandering around like an idiot getting into random battles and constantly navigating a series of menus just so I can hit something with a stick.

Then there's the grindy aspect of these things. From what I can tell (and I'm probably wrong at this point in the series but whatever), you can't get "good" at FF games because of the way that the combat works; instead you just wander around battering the poo poo out of the same type of weaker mooks over and over again until you're strong enough to tank a bossfight long enough to kill it, then move on to the next unfortunate type of mook and repeat the process so you can kill the next meatshield boss. Every now and then you get some sort of upgrade item to lessen/speed up the grind somewhat, but really it's still there and comes back around full force before the next boss anyway. This process goes on until the end.

The worst period for all this though was around the time FFVIII was nearing release. Holy ol' fuckin' Jesus the playground hype for this was utterly, utterly nonsensical. One kid even carried the loving strategy guide around with him during lunchtimes, like it was some sort of necessary day-to-day religious material. Every day he'd have his nose buried in this loving guide book and start spouting all sorts of things from it to our little group, who'd all bought into this FF thing and lapped it up. Meanwhile I just sat there looking like I'd been lobotomised. Unfathomably boring (for me) school lunchtimes leading up to this point when the game was released, only for it to just fade away after a few weeks. loving incredible.

I hear a lot about how captivating the story to each of these games is too, but to me it all sounds like the usual paint-by-numbers angsty anime waffle about Obvious Bad Man™ wanting to enact some sort of convoluted masterplan to control all under heaven and the only hope of the town/country/planet/universe is some rag-tag collection of walking character tropes who must put aside their differences and unite in the face of something so unimaginitive evil.

Then one of them dies/turns bad/was bad all along and oh Christ please just make it stop.

*After playing through it last month for some Videogame Internet Points, I can safely say I still don't find it to be an interesting game in any capacity, but it is incredibly easy, which was good for me. The OST is alright too I guess.

...!
Oct 5, 2003

I haven't had to grind in any Final Fantasy since the NES. And VIII is the ultimate anti-grind. Leveling up actually makes you weaker in comparison to the enemies so it's extremely helpful to find the skill that lets you turn off random battles altogether. In the remaster, you can actually cheat and do that from the start.

From your post, it just sounds like JRPGs aren't for you. There's nothing wrong with that. Not everyone likes every genre of game. I despise racing games unless they're super arcadey, like Burnout: Paradise.

A Fancy Hat
Nov 18, 2016

Always remember that the former President was dumber than the dumbest person you've ever met by a wide margin

I've played every single 2-D Castlevania at this point EXCEPT for Symphony of the Night. We were a Nintendo house growing up, and it thus far hasn't been in any collections that I could get for a Nintendo system. I've even played Rondo of Blood because you could download it on the Wii.

It's probably going to remain that way unless Konami decides to release a version of it for the Switch.

McGurk
Oct 20, 2004

Cuz life sucks, kids. Get it while you can.

A Fancy Hat posted:

I've played every single 2-D Castlevania at this point EXCEPT for Symphony of the Night. We were a Nintendo house growing up, and it thus far hasn't been in any collections that I could get for a Nintendo system. I've even played Rondo of Blood because you could download it on the Wii.

It's probably going to remain that way unless Konami decides to release a version of it for the Switch.

SotN is on iOS and Android now too. $2.99!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

John Murdoch
May 19, 2009

I can tune a fish.
That Castlevania classic collection they put out was pointedly called "the first" or collection 1 or whatever in some of their promotional materials. Wouldn't be the least bit surprised if the mobile ports come from the work they did to put SotN in the as yet unseen second classic collection.